Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday March 7, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-23-2021, 08:07 PM   #26
Mindriddle
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 491668

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNV View Post
However if you buy forged pistons they usually are the same dish volume as the STi and so will increase compression. Maybe they say that cause you'd need to tune differently to avoid detonation.
Thanks. Yea I will ask my tuner about whatever combination I end up putting together.

I also have been looking at JDM alternative and all the different variations and tons on information makes it hard to pinpoint exactly what I need or which/what needs to happen. The picture below is a screenshot of what I found on ebay on a single AVCS jdm engine - The description on most postings there are misleading because sometimes it doesnt say if its dual or single or non AVCS, and im not familiar enough to identify the differences between the early years vs what jdm came from my 08+ model years. If I find a long block with single AVCS like mine, can I just transfer sensors, etc. from my original engine to make it a direct swap and just retune for a 2.0?

And why do some engines have the tensioner on the AC belt where some (like my oem) is the 'stretch' install type?
Mindriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2021, 10:25 PM   #27
GeoNV
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 518830
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
dark grey metallic

If I were to do it again Iíd seriously consider the jdm ej20y or 20x. This is the 10th motor Iíve built and by far the most nit picky little details that matter. From what Iíve read if you get the single AVCS motor and swap your intake manifold and wiring harness onto it it should work. Never got a definitive answer on that as some say itís fine and other say itís not.
GeoNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:47 PM   #28
Mindriddle
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNV View Post
If I were to do it again Iíd seriously consider the jdm ej20y or 20x. This is the 10th motor Iíve built and by far the most nit picky little details that matter. From what Iíve read if you get the single AVCS motor and swap your intake manifold and wiring harness onto it it should work. Never got a definitive answer on that as some say itís fine and other say itís not.
I hear ya. Im thinking of all my options, including maybe to just sell the car as is. I have other cars in mind that I'd rather tinker with and I have an Audi S4 B8 that roughly puts down about 460whp, so I have a go-fast fix if I ever need it. Lol. Its just fun having the subi around as Ive had the car for some time and have worked on basically everything on it so its hard to let it go.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:51 AM   #29
Mindriddle
Scooby Newbie

Ok another question.
If i was to purchase a new RA block, are there any recommendation for re-sealing the halves or it a set your parts and go ready? Also I know that using the D25 WRX heads will slightly increase compression (8.78:1 from 8.55:1), which my tuner doesnt mind, but do you guys have any concerns with the small increase in compression?