Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday October 20, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-24-2020, 06:39 PM   #1
Subnetwork
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 489026
Default Factory Extended Warranty - Best Dealership?

I got quoted $2470+tax at my local dealership for the Gold Plus $0 deductable. I found a thread mentioning Mastria Subaru, but they now claim they can't sell out of state warranties. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone had other dealers to recommend!
Subnetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
Aoshi1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 519147
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STI
Aspen Silver

Where are you located? Camelback Subaru is amazing, but that is in Phoenix, AZ.
Aoshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:22 PM   #3
rtv900
Scooby Guru

Member#: 428511
Vehicle:
2016 STI

don't waste your money, you have a warranty for the period that matters

you will not recover a fraction of what you spend
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:37 AM   #4
ProjectN64
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 454737
Vehicle:
2005 STI PSM
2013 BRZ SWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv900 View Post
you will not recover a fraction of what you spend
This is false, depending on the age/mileage a warranty can really save your ass. Read the fine print and don't get a warranty that isn't offered from a dealer. I'd lean towards a third party warranty over a subaru warranty since you can take to any certified shop and you won't have the dealer trying to fight you to get out of warranty work. I'm a bit bummed out my warranty ran out last month, got almost 15k in repairs.
ProjectN64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:32 AM   #5
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectN64 View Post
This is false, depending on the age/mileage a warranty can really save your ass. Read the fine print and don't get a warranty that isn't offered from a dealer. I'd lean towards a third party warranty over a subaru warranty since you can take to any certified shop and you won't have the dealer trying to fight you to get out of warranty work. I'm a bit bummed out my warranty ran out last month, got almost 15k in repairs.
Let me list the top 10 warranty companies who are still in business:

Yes, that list is empty. Aftermarket warranties can look great until they go bankrupt (by design), shut down and open under a new name.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:44 AM   #6
JP Chestnut
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 504432
Chapter/Region: Tri-State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post

Yes, that list is empty. Aftermarket warranties can look great until they go bankrupt (by design), shut down and open under a new name.
The Subaru backed warranty isnít likely to go bust. Just a new infotainment unit or cvt would put you money ahead on a Subaru gold warranty.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:23 AM   #7
rtv900
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2016 STI

Quote:
got almost 15k in repairs.
classic
This guy probably sells warranties
15k in repairs. . . .TOTAL BS made up lie

Every internet warranty supporter uses 15 grand in their story
I don't know one person EVER who has had 15 grand in total auto repairs in a decade on all their vehicles combined, yet extended warranty supporters on the internet all had 15 grand in covered repairs
Old 10-15-2020, 09:37 AM   #8
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
The Subaru backed warranty isnít likely to go bust. Just a new infotainment unit or cvt would put you money ahead on a Subaru gold warranty.
A car manufacturer factory warranty is fine. Aftermarket is a waste of money.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:33 AM   #9
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21145
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Car manufacturer warranties are available from Dealers, and it doesn't have to be your specific dealer.

They are honored at all Dealerships although I don't think they would be honored in different countries, ie; US and Canada.

Do some internet searching to find them. Sometimes you can get a really good deal. Just make sure you READ over the policy as to what it does and does not cover and determine if that will work for you.
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:34 AM   #10
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21145
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Quote:

What?! You mean those " Car Shield " warranties are not any good?
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:53 AM   #11
ProjectN64
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 STI PSM
2013 BRZ SWP

Quote:

It would seem you have very little to no experience with third party warranties, I had a good experience. I did not claim third party warranties "will" save your ass i said they "can" and for me it sure did.

Quote:
classic
This guy probably sells warranties
15k in repairs. . . .TOTAL BS made up lie

Every internet warranty supporter uses 15 grand in their story
I don't know one person EVER who has had 15 grand in total auto repairs in a decade on all their vehicles combined, yet extended warranty supporters on the internet all had 15 grand in covered repairs
take it as you will, i will post the same invoice i did last time to prove you wrong and can post more invoices when i get home with a timestamp. This was for a new shortblock, I paid 600 for misc things like coolant hoses,spark plugs, and stripping the intake manifold to get painted. Anyone has any questions I'll be happy to answer.

https://imgur.com/a/uqPCS62

Edit: makes me chuckle how some guy with a 2016 sti can't fathom close to 15k in repairs for a used 15 year old sti with multiple previous owners

Last edited by ProjectN64; 10-15-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:44 AM   #12
rtv900
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2016 STI

^nobody believes your bogus story or that fake invoice
You sell warranties
Why'd you cut off the top half of that invoice? And what are the countless other invoices under that one on Subaru letterhead?
And where is the other 8 thousand? You said 15 thousand.

And NO, I can't fathom the idiocity of 15 grand in repairs on a 15 year old car that is only worth 2 thousand dollars because NOBODY would do that and NO warranty company would honor anything that actually covered that much in repairs on a worthless vehicle.

I remember you story from last time you chimed in trying to sell extended warranties, it made no sense.
You said something about cylinder heads being replaced, and then you jumbled the story and talked about the short block needing replaced and contradicted the first thing. Then I asked about it because it made no sense and you bailed.
I also asked about the cut off invoice and the other 8 grand and you bailed on that too.

You sell warranties, stop pushing that crap.
Protective Asset Protection BS
Old 10-15-2020, 11:48 AM   #13
JP Chestnut
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 504432
Chapter/Region: Tri-State

Quote:
A car manufacturer factory warranty is fine. Aftermarket is a waste of money.
Agreed. The OP is asking about buying the Subaru backed extended warranty which is the only one that anyone should even think about.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:48 AM   #14
rtv900
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2016 STI

Just found the other thread with your story.
You said $12 thousand in that thread and that was 10 months ago.
What a dream story you have.
So yet ANOTHER 3 thousand dollars since last december.
awesome luck
Old 10-15-2020, 11:55 AM   #15
ProjectN64
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 STI PSM
2013 BRZ SWP

Quote:
^nobody believes your bogus story or that fake invoice
You sell warranties
Why'd you cut off the top half of that invoice? And what are the countless other invoices under that one on Subaru letterhead?
And where is the other 8 thousand? You said 15 thousand.

And NO, I can't fathom the idiocity of 15 grand in repairs on a 15 year old car that is only worth 2 thousand dollars because NOBODY would do that and NO warranty company would honor anything that actually covered that much in repairs on a worthless vehicle.

I remember you story from last time you chimed in trying to sell extended warranties, it made no sense.
You said something about cylinder heads being replaced, and then you jumbled the story and talked about the short block needing replaced and contradicted the first thing. Then I asked about it because it made no sense and you bailed.
I also asked about the cut off invoice and the other 8 grand and you bailed on that too.

You sell warranties, stop pushing that crap.
Protective Asset Protection BS
only one lying is you, i clarified and simplified my posts to accommodate your blatant disability in that thread and you never responded back for a better understanding. It would seem you don't think things through before you post as shown in that thread too or you'd know invoices have sensitive information i don't feel like sharing with weirdos online. I did not have the time to crop that info out but can do so later today when i get home just to fulfill your ridiculous needs. I did not have time to post all the other invoices at that time because i was at work and wanted to show a bill that was covered by the warranty company. Judging by your anger and claim that a 2005 sti with 57k miles is only worth 2k leads me to believe you're not even worth the time responding to but will do so for the other people interested in third party warranties.

Here is the thread you speak of, none of what you posted is true, sort yourself out.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2913956

Edit: another dumb post to respond to

Quote:
Just found the other thread with your story.
You said $12 thousand in that thread and that was 10 months ago.
What a dream story you have.
So yet ANOTHER 3 thousand dollars since last december.
awesome luck
yes, i had some more transmission work that was sorted and right before my warranty expired i had control arms and a torn ball joint replaced. subarus are not cheap work, but you wouldn't know with a 2016 sti (yet)
Old 10-15-2020, 12:04 PM   #16
rtv900
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2016 STI

ha
The "invoice" you posted last time was for 2 grand and it was literally typed on blank white paper AND 75% of the paper was cut off.
The "invoice" you posted in this thread has 75% of the paper cut off.
Seriously, who does that? Takes a pic of a piece of paper and crops out almost all the info.

So why did you post a 2k invoice last time and not the 7k invoice? And who provides invoices that are typed on blank white paper?
How about take a pic of that ENTIRE white invoice for the trans work that was $2100 and the ENTIRE invoice on this thread.
And the $3 grand from this year should be right on top of your pile right?

You sell warranties.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:09 PM   #17
ProjectN64
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 STI PSM
2013 BRZ SWP

Quote:
ha
The "invoice" you posted last time was for 2 grand and it was literally typed on blank white paper AND 75% of the paper was cut off.
The "invoice" you posted in this thread has 75% of the paper cut off.
Seriously, who does that? Takes a pic of a piece of paper and crops out almost all the info.

So why did you post a 2k invoice last time and not the 7k invoice? And who provides invoices that are typed on blank white paper?
How about take a pic of that ENTIRE white invoice for the trans work that was $2100 and the ENTIRE invoice on this thread.
And the $3 grand from this year should be right on top of your pile right?

You sell warranties.
the invoice you speak of was from an independent shop i went to for the transmission work since i had a few bad experiences with the dealer even to this day (my brz is at dealer because a broken bolt was found in oil pan after getting cam carriers replaced during recall). as said above it had sensitive information i did not feel like sharing and did not have time to crop out at the time. I will post those invoices with the sensitive info cropped when i get home but you'll still complain and go full damage controll
Old 10-15-2020, 12:21 PM   #18
rtv900
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2016 STI

Quote:
Judging by your anger and claim that a 2005 sti with 57k miles is only worth 2k
^another sensible statement. Ok, so a 2005 with ONLY 57k miles is worth more than $2k when the current OWNER has given multiple testimonials about how virtually EVERYTHING has failed on the vehicle in his ownership to the tune of FIFTEEN GRAND!!!!!!
Yep, makes sense. Boy imagine THAT car fax report. According to the owner the report would be 10 pages long.
Any buyer would drop that like a hot potato.

Quote:
as said above it had sensitive information i did not feel like sharing and did not have time to crop out at the time. I will post those invoices with the sensitive info cropped when i get home but you'll still complain and go full damage controll
What sensitive information is on a car repair invoice btw?
Credit card numbers haven't been on invoices for decades now.
Makes sense though.
First one was with a small shop who types on blank white paper (even though small shops won't touch aftermarket warranty claim work because they never get paid) and not only you needed to crop out 75% of the info you also had to skew the picture at a 59 degree angle.
Both make sense.
Then the 2nd one also needed 75% cropped out even though your name at most would be all the way at the top 5%, AND for some reason the picture is also skewed at a 52 degree angle this time
Makes sense
Old 10-15-2020, 12:27 PM   #19
ProjectN64
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 STI PSM
2013 BRZ SWP

Quote:
^another sensible statement. Ok, so a 2005 with ONLY 57k miles is worth more than $2k when the current OWNER has given multiple testimonials about how virtually EVERYTHING has failed on the vehicle in his ownership to the tune of FIFTEEN GRAND!!!!!!
Yep, makes sense. Boy imagine THAT car fax report. According to the owner the report would be 10 pages long.
Any buyer would drop that like a hot potato.

What sensitive information is on a car repair invoice btw?
Credit card numbers haven't been on invoices for decades now.
Makes sense though.
First one was with a small shop who types on blank white paper (even though small shops won't touch aftermarket warranty claim work because they never get paid) and not only you needed to crop out 75% of the info you also had to skew the picture at a 59 degree angle.
Both make sense.
Then the 2nd one also needed 75% cropped out even though your name at most would be all the way at the top 5%, AND for some reason the picture is also skewed at a 52 degree angle this time
Makes sense
the carfax had very little info and the car was sold at a subaru dealer "as is" i only bought it because i was able to get the warranty and it paid off, as for sensitive info there's phone numbers and i believe it had my address. How can you make such a stupid claim that independent shops won't work with third party warranties when a shop owner in that other thread stepped forward and gave good info on the topic that actually made sense (unlike you).
Old 10-15-2020, 12:55 PM   #20
rtv900
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2016 STI

Quote:
the carfax had very little info and the car was sold at a subaru dealer "as is" i only bought it because i was able to get the warranty and it paid off, as for sensitive info there's phone numbers and i believe it had my address. How can you make such a stupid claim that independent shops won't work with third party warranties when a shop owner in that other thread stepped forward and gave good info on the topic that actually made sense (unlike you).
Because I don't make money selling warranties and do not need to make up blatantly false stories to bilk people out of money.

And I don't care about what you paid for the car or the report when you bought it. I responded to your statement about how I could possibly not think an 05 sti with whatever mileage you have on it NOW is barely worth 2 grand when YOU, the OWNER, have now given multiple testimonials in multiple threads about how EVERY major system on the vehicle has failed miserably during your short ownership.
Was that not clear?
SMH
Boy I gotta say, you are either the most loyal car owner ever to walk the earth OR you sell warranties.
I owned my STI now for 5 years, put on 116,000 miles and have done literally nothing except scheduled maintenance, not one single issue to date.

If I owned anything for 4 years and less than 75k total miles and had 8 major systems fail and need essentially complete replacement to the tune of $15 grand I would be so completely disgusted with that vehicle brand I couldn't put it in words. . . . .let alone pontificate about what a dream it has turned out to be all thanks to an aftermarket extended warranty and then go on about how that vehicle holds it's value incredibly well??????

Talk about every aspect of your story making no sense.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:03 PM   #21
ProjectN64
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 STI PSM
2013 BRZ SWP

Quote:
If I owned anything for 4 years and less than 75k total miles and had 8 major systems fail and need essentially complete replacement to the tune of $15 grand I would be so completely disgusted with that vehicle brand I couldn't put it in words. . . . .let alone pontificate about what a dream it has turned out to be all thanks to an aftermarket extended warranty and then go on about how that vehicle holds it's value incredibly well??????

Talk about every aspect of your story making no sense.
because you're stupid and don't take into consideration the risk of buying a used turbo car with multiple owners that is 10+ years old (at the time) i wouldn't blame the car or brand. Like i said, i bought the car because i had faith in the warranty company and it paid off. What are you going to say when i post the complete invoices from 2016-2020 proving the work was covered by the warranty company, you going to still say i sell warranties lol. I came in to this thread to give info to the OP not trying to honeydick him into buying a warranty claiming they "can" save you not "wil"
Old 10-15-2020, 02:15 PM   #22
rtv900
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2016 STI

Quote:
because you're stupid
ha ha
well hey, if it turns out your documents end up making some sense and I'm wrong then I'm wrong
in which case you would represent a one in a million situation so my point still remains
There is a 99.999% chance you will not recover what you spent on the warranty for an aftermarket extended warranty

You've had more work done to your car in 4 years and 20,000 miles than I've had done to all 7 vehicles I've owned over 20 years with a total of 850,000 miles between just 4 of them.
That's a pretty significant disparity and very hard to believe, although anything is possible right?

And yet somehow you are not completely disgusted with the vehicle you bought.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #23
ProjectN64
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 STI PSM
2013 BRZ SWP

Quote:
ha ha
well hey, if it turns out your documents end up making some sense and I'm wrong then I'm wrong
in which case you would represent a one in a million situation so my point still remains
There is a 99.999% chance you will not recover what you spent on the warranty for an aftermarket extended warranty

You've had more work done to your car in 4 years and 20,000 miles than I've had done to all 7 vehicles I've owned over 20 years with a total of 850,000 miles between just 4 of them.
That's a pretty significant disparity and very hard to believe, although anything is possible right?

i'm very happy with my vehicle it's basically new and handles amazingly with my recently added bilstein b16's. I've had the same good luck with my BRZ's third party warranty which has covered a door lock actuator that went out and when i took it in for the valve spring recall leaky cam carriers were discovered, initially the dealer wanted to charge me 900 dollars out of pocket and to that i insisted they reached out to warranty company and to my surprise they charged them little over 2000 dollars for that work which i have just come to find out came out ****ty with a broken bolt in my oil pan. I wouldn't insist that third party warranties are always the way because as it's well known there are scummy companies. I think they get filtered out when you get them through dealerships, people need to remember to read the fine print and not have unrealistic expectations
Old 10-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #24
monkeyposeur
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 333468
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
93 SS - 06 OB XT
03 WRB GD 205/22T 20G-XT

Quote:
I replaced everything on my 2003 wrx (engine, trans, brakes, etc.) when I bought it with a blown engine. I knew that is what I had to do in order to have it function properly and be somewhat reliable. I wanted a project and I liked bugeyes.

Some of use just like older Subarus. Maybe the OP is the same way.

Fortunately I can do all the work and I enjoyed the process.

But yeah, if you are going to buy an older turbo subaru don't expect it to be headache free, cheap, or reliable.
monkeyposeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:33 PM   #25
Supraru
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 23313
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Good to see rtv900 is still an idiot.
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote