Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-10-2003, 03:28 PM   #1
8Complex

Member#: 922
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
16 WRX (white)
04 FXT (red)

Default Need injector pulse width help...

Yesterday I was out tuning with RiftsWRX and found that stock injectors on an RS-T say 100% duty cycle at 7.3ms at ~4800rpm (4-5psi boost). Now this goes a bit against what I've been reading for equation-wise. Normally the rpm/ms equation goes like this:

rpm/2/60=x
1000*(1/x)=ms available/rotation

So at 4800 rpm
4800/2/60=40
1000*(1/40)=25ms

What? how could it possibly be reading 100% duty cycle with only 7.3ms of injector on-time when there is 25ms available?

I thought it was a software glitch, but I began to believe it as we were testing and watched the A/F's [edit] rise rapidly after hitting that 100% duty cycle point.

Does this seem a little odd to anyone else? Is there a flaw in my numbers somewhere?

Last edited by 8Complex; 05-11-2003 at 03:10 AM.
8Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2003, 09:00 PM   #2
Jon [in CT]
*** Banned ***

Member#: 2992
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
02 WRX Sedan
Silver

I agree with your calculations.

For any particular 4-stroke cylinder:

Revolutions per Minute / 2 (ignitions per minute) / 60 = x (ignitions per second)

1000 / x = milliseconds interval between cylinder firings.

Quote:
I thought it was a software glitch, but I began to believe it as we were testing and watched the A/F's drop rapidly after hitting that 100% duty cycle point.
If you saw your "A/Fs drop rapidly," then I presume you saw your A/Fs drop from, say 12:1, to 10:1, which I agree is a substantial drop. But I don't see a problem with this.
Jon [in CT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 12:21 AM   #3
RiftsWRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 6124
Vehicle:
2000 NFR AP1 S2000
'07 Honda FIT sport (5MT)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon [in CT]
I agree with your calculations.

For any particular 4-stroke cylinder:

Revolutions per Minute / 2 (ignitions per minute) / 60 = x (ignitions per second)

1000 / x = milliseconds interval between cylinder firings.

If you saw your "A/Fs drop rapidly," then I presume you saw your A/Fs drop from, say 12:1, to 10:1, which I agree is a substantial drop. But I don't see a problem with this.
He meant rise.

from 11.1 startup shooting up fast to the 12's and 13's

Jorge (RiftsWRX)
www.ProjectWRX.com
RiftsWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 03:10 AM   #4
8Complex

Vehicle:
16 WRX (white)
04 FXT (red)

Yeah, my mistake. For some reason I always think it opposite direction even though I know better reading it. They rose very rapidly... within about 5-800rpm they rose from a nice 11.0:1 up to low 13.x:1's.

So if there is no error in my math, I wonder why the ECU is telling me that 7.3ms is 100% duty cycle at 4800rpm...
Old 05-11-2003, 03:55 PM   #5
Z1 Performance
Former Vendor

Member#: 9327

Could be your fuel pressure trailing off...have a guage hooked up?

Ada,
Z1 Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 04:24 PM   #6
8Complex

Vehicle:
16 WRX (white)
04 FXT (red)

Hmmm... there is a mechanical gauge underhood I might be able to extend and tape to the window, but the car has a Walbro 255 in it.

I'll check that out as soon as the weather clears up a bit (damn 40mph winds here today), though I'm still wondering why the ECU says it's gone 100% duty cycle at such a low opening time.

Re-analyzing the math here...

rpm/2/60=x

That formula isn't correct now that I look at it. That shows amount of time of all 4 cycles for a single cylinder. Obviously you aren't going to be spraying during the latter stages of compression (depending on overlap, of course), not at all during ignition, and most of the exhaust cycle (depending on overlap as well). So realistically if we want to narrow it down to 2 of the strokes of the 4, we're talking about actual rpm's, not half. So the corrected equation would be :

rpm/60=x
1000*(1/x)=ms/true rpm

What this means is that the previous possible opening times have now been cut in half to 12.5ms@4800rpm.

So now, I suppose, if the ECU really wants to use strictly the intake stroke to fire the injectors, it will really only be seeing a 6.25ms opening window. This seems much more likely to me... I will have to re-read into the logs to see exactly when it starts to fall off as the previous 7.3ms@4800 was estimations off the top of my head and could have been another factor in odd numbers.

So now in the end, we're almost looking at a calculation like this:

rpm/60*2=x
1000*(1/x)=ms/single stroke
Old 05-11-2003, 06:03 PM   #7
Jon [in CT]
*** Banned ***

Member#: 2992
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
02 WRX Sedan
Silver

Quote:
Originally posted by 8Complex
I'm still wondering why the ECU says it's gone 100% duty cycle at such a low opening time.

Re-analyzing the math here...

rpm/2/60=x

That formula isn't correct now that I look at it. That shows amount of time of all 4 cycles for a single cylinder. Obviously you aren't going to be spraying during the latter stages of compression (depending on overlap, of course), not at all during ignition, and most of the exhaust cycle (depending on overlap as well).
First, if by ECU you mean the stock ECU, then the ECU doesn't actually report "duty cycle." It does report RPM and injector pulse width for the #1 cylinder. Some software in your PC is calculating injector duty cycle from those two variables.

100% injector duty cycle does, in fact, mean that the injector is continuously open, through all 4 engine cycles.
Jon [in CT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 08:13 PM   #8
8Complex

Vehicle:
16 WRX (white)
04 FXT (red)

No, it's running a Haltech E6K with staged injection, which I believe is basically sequential injection with secondaries.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:06 PM   #9
Z1 Performance
Former Vendor

Member#: 9327

There's part of your problem...Haltech's only allow max IDC of 80% from what I remember.

Adam
Z1 Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 01:37 PM   #10
8Complex

Vehicle:
16 WRX (white)
04 FXT (red)

Thats fine though, this car will never see all 830cc's of injection at the same time when the secondaries kick in. I just need to get them plumbed in and move the crossover point to starting up the secondaries lower and it should be fine. My only problem at this point is the tiny budget that I'm under... looks like it's going to be twin fuel systems. WRX pump for the stock injectors and Walbro 255 for the 550cc secondaries.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:23 PM   #11
RiftsWRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 6124
Vehicle:
2000 NFR AP1 S2000
'07 Honda FIT sport (5MT)

Quote:
Originally posted by 8Complex
Thats fine though, this car will never see all 830cc's of injection at the same time when the secondaries kick in. I just need to get them plumbed in and move the crossover point to starting up the secondaries lower and it should be fine. My only problem at this point is the tiny budget that I'm under... looks like it's going to be twin fuel systems. WRX pump for the stock injectors and Walbro 255 for the 550cc secondaries.
Sounds like party time

You need my pump then?

Jorge (RiftsWRX)
www.ProjectWRX.com
RiftsWRX is offline   Reply With Quote