Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 16, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-10-2018, 07:21 PM   #1
00_imprezaoutback
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 452713
Exclamation NEED HELP EJ25 SWAP WONT START :mad:

So I just completed my ej25 swap into my Impreza one it was phase II to phase II so everything plugged in right where it should have but ofcourse with my luck I can’t get it to start and for the life of me I can’t figure out why. I mean I primed the damn motor before I even tried to start it. Now I can say that it did burp a few times and actually did try to start and turn over once but that’s all I got. Also I could hear the exhaust puffing like it wanted to run. I definitely know it’s getting fuel and I checked my plug and wires(which were newly installed) and nothing. All good. I just can’t think of why it would puff and burp like it wants to start but can’t. Could it be cause I used the ej22 starter? I have it grounded on all points like how it was in my legacy outback. I never put the rad or ac condenser in because I wanted to get it started before I put everything back and wasted two gallons of fluid and $25 bucks worth of refrigerant.
PLEASE ANY INFORMATION YOU MAY HAVE COULD HELP!!
Thank you!
:edit: so I got the car to start but now the trans won’t engage I’m thinking it’s because I need to bleed my brakes because they go right to the floor and I never hear that click I used to hear when going to move so again any help will help me. Thanks.

Last edited by 00_imprezaoutback; 07-12-2018 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Added info
00_imprezaoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2018, 08:26 PM   #2
CaptainSlowbaru
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 445600
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2002 Outback Sport
Green

Check the valve timing and make sure it's good. Do you have access to a scan tool to check sensor readings?
CaptainSlowbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:37 PM   #3
00_imprezaoutback
Scooby Newbie

Are you talking about like a timing light? And scan tool as in like an obd2 reader?
Old 07-10-2018, 08:41 PM   #4
00_imprezaoutback
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlowbaru View Post
Check the valve timing and make sure it's good. Do you have access to a scan tool to check sensor readings?
When you say check valve timing Iím not sure what that means. Lol like take the heads off or valve covers? I know itís prolly not that but like I said Iím not sure what you mean. I was thinking of getting a timing light and seeing if I was off cause I know even the smallest amount off on timing could keep the motor from starting.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:21 PM   #5
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

You need to make sure the crank sprocket and the cam sprockets on the original engine and the new engine have the same pick-up points. If not, then all the sprockets from the old engine need to be installed on the new engine so the ECU gets the correct inputs.

I'm guessing what you've got in the car now doesn't match the old engine, so the ECU is seeing signals from the crank and cam position sensors that don't make sense, which is why it isn't starting. You probably have no spark, because the ECU isn't firing the coil(s).
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:37 PM   #6
00_imprezaoutback
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
You need to make sure the crank sprocket and the cam sprockets on the original engine and the new engine have the same pick-up points. If not, then all the sprockets from the old engine need to be installed on the new engine so the ECU gets the correct inputs.

I'm guessing what you've got in the car now doesn't match the old engine, so the ECU is seeing signals from the crank and cam position sensors that don't make sense, which is why it isn't starting. You probably have no spark, because the ECU isn't firing the coil(s).
So should I swap ECUs? I didnít know about the sprockets. Iíll check those tm. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:39 PM   #7
00_imprezaoutback
Scooby Newbie

Swapped ECUs and the car started right up but now Iím having trans issues. It wonít engage and I assuming itís becuase of all the Grammy fluidni lost because I did not put the cooler lines on the hard lines before starting it. Oh well.