Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday November 13, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #476
Blitzkrieg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14913
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2003 Lock Stock and
2 Smoking Barrels "wrx"

Default

Forward sight view is worse than last gen C7..

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ne-visibility/
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Blitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:43 PM   #477
heavyD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194216
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Vehicle:
2018 M2 LCI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather2112 View Post
Are you challenging me, good sir?
Ha ha no as not all commutes are the same. I only really have a couple of stretches where I can run my car hard and a lot of that depends on me being one of the first cars stopped at a light.
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:08 PM   #478
dwf137
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 161333
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
'18 Golf R
'14 Outback

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
At 2.8 seconds 0-60, running to redline on the street seems like an exercise that's not going to be available often on a daily commute.
I saw an article a little while back... the average corvette owner is like 60 years old or something. There is no daily commute for the majority of corvette owners.
dwf137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:12 PM   #479
godfather2112
Papi Chulo
Moderator
 
Member#: 53794
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boner kill city
Vehicle:
... 2017 BMW M2
2017 F-150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf137 View Post
I saw an article a little while back... the average corvette owner is like 60 years old or something. There is no daily commute for the majority of corvette owners.
Ever witness a senior citizen late to bingo night while driving their corvette?
godfather2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:05 PM   #480
TriAxis 6
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 377862
Join Date: Jan 2014
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: on stage or recording studio
Vehicle:
2017 Z06/Z07 & Fozzy
Admiral Blue & CWP

Default Mid-Engined Corvette Program Reportedly Inching Towards Public Confirmation

Iím definitely not near 60 years old, yet fortunately I have no daily commute.
TriAxis 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:04 AM   #481
godfather2112
Papi Chulo
Moderator
 
Member#: 53794
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boner kill city
Vehicle:
... 2017 BMW M2
2017 F-150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriAxis 6 View Post
Iím definitely not near 60 years old, yet fortunately I have no daily commute.
Take up Pilates?
godfather2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:21 AM   #482
Keshav
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1654
Join Date: Jun 2000
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Vehicle:
2019 GoCycle GX
MV Agusta Brutale S

Default

I found a 12 year old Z06 with 295 miles on it in an estate sale. That's who's buying a lot of corvettes new; people waiting to die.
Keshav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:05 AM   #483
TriAxis 6
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 377862
Join Date: Jan 2014
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: on stage or recording studio
Vehicle:
2017 Z06/Z07 & Fozzy
Admiral Blue & CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather2112 View Post
Take up Pilates?


Hey man, I didnít say I was a MILF either!
TriAxis 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #484
Sid03SVT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183032
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: CT
Vehicle:
OLD Family Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf137 View Post
I saw an article a little while back... the average corvette owner is like 60 years old or something. There is no daily commute for the majority of corvette owners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather2112 View Post
Ever witness a senior citizen late to bingo night while driving their corvette?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
I found a 12 year old Z06 with 295 miles on it in an estate sale. That's who's buying a lot of corvettes new; people waiting to die.
In response to all of these - The people that I know that own Corvettes are a mixed bag; yeah some are over 60, but a lot are in the 35-45 bracket. Of them, at least half track the cars regularly, primarily the over 60's. You have to realize that 60 isn't "old" anymore, not for most people that remain active, and especially not for the over 60's I know that track their cars; I think Pobst is north of 60, he's still pretty fast last time I checked.

Granted, most of the guys that bought new were 50 or over when they bought their vettes. As for the Porsche guys (and gals) I know, all are over 50, at this point nearly all over 60.

Caveat: I don't really know anyone from "old money", so it skews my data, I know there are a bunch of 20-something out there in expensive cars mommy and daddy bought them, I just don't associate with them.
Also, most of the people I know that are into cars track them, which also skews my data.
Sid03SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:47 AM   #485
mhoward1
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 9481
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: FFR Challenge #43
Vehicle:
1832 Steam Buggy
Wood

Default

While not at Miata levels, the corvette has one of the strongest track presence around. Much more than itís more expensive counterparts and even more than its Camaro little brother
mhoward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #486
TriAxis 6
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 377862
Join Date: Jan 2014
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: on stage or recording studio
Vehicle:
2017 Z06/Z07 & Fozzy
Admiral Blue & CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoward1 View Post
While not at Miata levels, the corvette has one of the strongest track presence around. Much more than itís more expensive counterparts and even more than its Camaro little brother


Good observation....and no where (not even close) near as totally gay as a Miata

Sounds like win win to me!

TriAxis 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #487
mhoward1
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 9481
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: FFR Challenge #43
Vehicle:
1832 Steam Buggy
Wood

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriAxis 6 View Post
Good observation....and no where (not even close) near as totally gay as a Miata

Sounds like win win to me!

I am pretty sure that was said with sarcasm, but everytime I hear someone talk about how track miatas are gay it tells me how little time that person spends at races and roadcourse tracks in general.

Spec Miata is one of the most competitive and best racing around. There is a reason a lot of up and coming pros come from there. It's the current version of Formula V and Lights cars.
mhoward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:22 AM   #488
dwf137
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 161333
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
'18 Golf R
'14 Outback

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid03SVT View Post
In response to all of these - The people that I know that own Corvettes are a mixed bag; yeah some are over 60, but a lot are in the 35-45 bracket. Of them, at least half track the cars regularly, primarily the over 60's. You have to realize that 60 isn't "old" anymore, not for most people that remain active, and especially not for the over 60's I know that track their cars; I think Pobst is north of 60, he's still pretty fast last time I checked.

Granted, most of the guys that bought new were 50 or over when they bought their vettes. As for the Porsche guys (and gals) I know, all are over 50, at this point nearly all over 60.

Caveat: I don't really know anyone from "old money", so it skews my data, I know there are a bunch of 20-something out there in expensive cars mommy and daddy bought them, I just don't associate with them.
Also, most of the people I know that are into cars track them, which also skews my data.
No disagreement from me... this all started from a comment about the power not being usable on a daily commute... imo, these aren't daily drivers... they're either track cars or retirement cars, not slogging to work in the stop-and-go.
dwf137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:36 AM   #489
godfather2112
Papi Chulo
Moderator
 
Member#: 53794
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boner kill city
Vehicle:
... 2017 BMW M2
2017 F-150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriAxis 6 View Post
Hey man, I didnít say I was a MILF either!
YeH, but you know who is at Pilates?

Milfs.

All the reason I need to go.
godfather2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:46 AM   #490
TriAxis 6
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 377862
Join Date: Jan 2014
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: on stage or recording studio
Vehicle:
2017 Z06/Z07 & Fozzy
Admiral Blue & CWP

Default Mid-Engined Corvette Program Reportedly Inching Towards Public Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoward1 View Post
I am pretty sure that was said with sarcasm, but everytime I hear someone talk about how track miatas are gay it tells me how little time that person spends at races and roadcourse tracks in general.



Spec Miata is one of the most competitive and best racing around. There is a reason a lot of up and coming pros come from there. It's the current version of Formula V and Lights cars.


Rest assured I totally understand how dialed in those little cars can be in the autoX and track world. They can handle like a dream and can have a ton of scoot to them....Iím with yaí. I know they are little monsters on the track.

That being said, when I see one driven by any male on the streets I think:

1- wifey or sister lent him the Car
2- metrosexual
3-full blown pole smoker

Sorry, You had to have been around Miami Beach in the 90ís...When the official gay car moved from white VW Cabriolet convertible to any Miata.
TriAxis 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #491
Pre
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoward1 View Post

Spec Miata is one of the most competitive and best racing around. There is a reason a lot of up and coming pros come from there. It's the current version of Formula V and Lights cars.
The Miata, is one of the best to run at the track due to consumables few ever discuss. They quote Track this and that online, and it's all bs because so few go. Those that do know tires, brake pads, etc, add up, and add up quick. So it's more economical, so you can do more track days per year. The much heavier much higher hp/tq cars have much more expensive tires (double/triple the price), more expensive brake pads/rotors, etc, etc. I hear some of these clowns throw down lap times and how big their track dicks is and I laugh. You have to have lots of free time and deep pockets to run high HP at the track, regularly.
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #492
Pre
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather2112 View Post
YeH, but you know who is at Pilates?

Milfs.

All the reason I need to go.
At my gym, the rooms for all that stuff is same floor as the weights. It's really zip code dependent but at my gym, the fit birds are all the boomin' grannies. The hot young thing ain't working out man, she's at happy hour, or getting food and some wannabe swanky joint downtown. It's the running joke at our gym that the young things are fatties and fit ladies are the grannies.

I still remember the Beastie Boy line from Boomin Granny. Because I saw ya at the check out line. You dropped your coupons and you were looking fine. Sophisticated, and so mature . I couldn't really care if you're 50 or 74.
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #493
Sid03SVT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183032
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: CT
Vehicle:
OLD Family Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf137 View Post
No disagreement from me... this all started from a comment about the power not being usable on a daily commute... imo, these aren't daily drivers... they're either track cars or retirement cars, not slogging to work in the stop-and-go.
I mean the "too much power for a daily" argument can be made about nearly anything with a V8 or turbo 6 these days; Mustang GT? too much for commuting, but you won't catch me buying the ecoboost 4.

I think a base model Vette falls into the same category and a Mustang GT or Camaro SS - possibly too much power for the commute for most people, but enough power to make the commute fun for the rest of us.

Z06, you're starting to get serious and doing the car a disservice by not tracking it at least occasionally.

I mean a "commute" is also different based on location, so heavy metro? nah, gimme a leaf, or let me work remote; my commute? mostly back roads with some open highway, I don't really deal with traffic, so three pedals and more power is more enjoyable; but I live in CT so snow means I'm not commuting a Vette in the winter anyways.

Can I use all of the power on my commute? yeah, but can I use all of the speed? not even close. CT highways are 65mph, but traffic (not stop and go, I mean the flow) moves along at 80-85; even so I hardly ever see triple digits anymore, just not worth it.

Guys I know with Vettes (almost exclusively Z06's) use them for track & Friday-Sunday.
Sid03SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:32 PM   #494
godfather2112
Papi Chulo
Moderator
 
Member#: 53794
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boner kill city
Vehicle:
... 2017 BMW M2
2017 F-150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre View Post
At my gym, the rooms for all that stuff is same floor as the weights. It's really zip code dependent but at my gym, the fit birds are all the boomin' grannies. The hot young thing ain't working out man, she's at happy hour, or getting food and some wannabe swanky joint downtown. It's the running joke at our gym that the young things are fatties and fit ladies are the grannies.

I still remember the Beastie Boy line from Boomin Granny. Because I saw ya at the check out line. You dropped your coupons and you were looking fine. Sophisticated, and so mature . I couldn't really care if you're 50 or 74.
Have I told you lately how much I appreciate you?
godfather2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:34 PM   #495
Martin4482.rm
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 507519
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

This thing is goi g to be sweet
Martin4482.rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:58 PM   #496
4S-TURBO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: who the hell makes those
Vehicle:
.... missiles - when
they know wat they can do

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
I found a 12 year old Z06 with 295 miles on it in an estate sale. That's who's buying a lot of corvettes new; people waiting to die.
Subaru: hold my beer
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:21 PM   #497
mhoward1
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 9481
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: FFR Challenge #43
Vehicle:
1832 Steam Buggy
Wood

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre View Post
The Miata, is one of the best to run at the track due to consumables few ever discuss. They quote Track this and that online, and it's all bs because so few go. Those that do know tires, brake pads, etc, add up, and add up quick. So it's more economical, so you can do more track days per year. The much heavier much higher hp/tq cars have much more expensive tires (double/triple the price), more expensive brake pads/rotors, etc, etc. I hear some of these clowns throw down lap times and how big their track dicks is and I laugh. You have to have lots of free time and deep pockets to run high HP at the track, regularly.
Thatís a part of it, but it also has the best factory support, an awesome core chassis, and allows for very close racing that highlights driver talent that often gets hidden in high hp open classes and even some so called ďSpecĒ series.
mhoward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:34 PM   #498
BeepBoop
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 496462
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: MN
Default

I know I personally only make it up to brainerd international raceway for open lap days maybe 3 times a year. Just as well, because evo consumables are also not cheap However, what that also means is that I want to be as big dick swinging as possible when I do go. I want to throw down hard hot laps, stroke my epeen "damn son, I just smashed that lap time!" and get a real speed and power experience.

I respect the miata for what it is, but I also wouldn't ever like wheel to wheel racing unless I'm allowed to plow people out of the way when they take stuff slower than I'm capable of doing. As a stand alone hot-lap car for a few visits a year, the miata just doesn't fit the bill.

This vette on the other hand would do nicely!
BeepBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:51 PM   #499
mhoward1
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 9481
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: FFR Challenge #43
Vehicle:
1832 Steam Buggy
Wood

Default

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020...c8-power-dyno/

Quote:
I'm looking through a window, hands around my face, staring at a screen with all sorts of graphics and numbers that are too small to read. On the other side of the window, a red 2020 Chevrolet Corvette is strapped to the dyno with its rear wheels spinning very, very fast.




The double-paned windows are not enough to keep the engine note from reaching other parts of the facility. The speedometer on the screen reads 150 mph, but the front wheels are not moving at all. Once the engine noise winds down and the wheels stop spinning, the numbers we're looking for pop up on the screen—558 hp and 515 lb-ft of torque at the wheels. "We've got a hot rod!" says international bureau chief Angus MacKenzie, who has been standing next to me all this time.


We're in shock. A quick math check reveals that's an estimated 656 hp and 606 lb-ft of torque at the crank if we assume a 15-percent drivetrain loss—way over the 495 hp and 470 lb-ft that Chevy claims. (That 15 percent represents the power consumed by everything between the engine crankshaft and the drive wheels, including inertia of all the spinning parts, power to run the hydraulic pump in an automatic or twin-clutch transmission, the drag that occurs when gears spin through lubricating oil, friction between the gear teeth, etc. It's an educated guestimate frequently used across the industry for modern light-duty automatic transmissions—manuals experience slightly smaller losses; older or heavier-duty automatics slightly larger ones.)

Last edited by mhoward1; 10-21-2019 at 06:12 PM.
mhoward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:57 PM   #500
JhonMicky
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 503876
Join Date: Jul 2019
Default

Meh I'd still get it with magride even if it craps out eventually. Like any of the performance Chevys with it, it's tied into other performance aspects of the car that make it fun, like the steering, throttle, braking, and of course handling.

I'm really thinking that this C8 and the new Zupra (that damn car is growing on me more and more) revs check, will be game changers and challenge how those who can afford cars 2-3x more perceive a sports car, much like the original NSX. I can't wait to see what a Z06 will be like or whatever higher end Supra is planned.
JhonMicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.