Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday November 20, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-11-2016, 12:11 PM   #51
Svillen
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 457514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chispo View Post
Thank you, they replaced both upper strut mounts per the TSB on mine, but the problem still there. I have another app for next friday, i read somewhere that they replaced the struts and the problem went away, not sure. It is annoying as hell, makes the car feel like an old car. This is prompting me to change this car and never look back.
Totally agree with you, annoying as hell. I've been in the dealership probably 10 times for the last month.
Svillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2016, 04:54 PM   #52
Chispo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 436093
Vehicle:
2016 WRX GUR 23
Lapis Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svillen View Post
Totally agree with you, annoying as hell. I've been in the dealership probably 10 times for the last month.
Oh damn! For the same issue? Have they check or change the sway bar? I went underneath the car this morning and noticed one of the sway bar bushings was kinda greasy around it, wonder if that's the culprit of this annoying noise. would change it out myself out of warranty in order not to deal and waste time with the dealer. smdh
Chispo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:20 PM   #53
Svillen
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Oh damn! For the same issue? Have they check or change the sway bar? I went underneath the car this morning and noticed one of the sway bar bushings was kinda greasy around it, wonder if that's the culprit of this annoying noise. would change it out myself out of warranty in order not to deal and waste time with the dealer. smdh
No, not for the same thing. First it was the clutch, they couldn't duplicate it, cause it makes it at cold start only. Then it was the rattling sound from the rear deck. They couldn't duplicate it... it was rattling like hell, all the time. Then I had to bring it one more time, they duplicated it (because the service bulletin came on SEP 22nd - http://techinfo.subaru.com/static/whatsNew.html ). They ordered the part, but when I left the car with them, it turned out it was a wrong part - had to bring it again. Then when the rattling sound was gone, the clunk sound became so obvious and the clunk saga started. There is also very annoying clicking sound from the front right tweeter area. Like plastic rubbing in plastic. It started getting disappointing.
I love my WRX, I don't want to change it. I had the new Mazda 3 (2015), I traded it in and got the WRX 2016. For a little over an year, I didn't even have a single complain with the Mazda.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:47 PM   #54
Chispo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX GUR 23
Lapis Blue Pearl

Man, I'm sorry to hear all that. I had an impreza before this wrx and never had any issues with it,I ordered and waited like 6 months to get here. Now I'm starting not to like it because of this clunk noise that makes the car feel like an old car,I understand that's a 30k car on average, but even a cheaper corolla feels nicer and smother with less noises and rattles. I'm looking to trade it for a Lexus GS 350 or a BMW 340i, but I don't want to take that hit on the trade yet, hence my will to get it fix so it makes my waiting months less annoying. I will keep updating on this saga. Peace!
Old 11-12-2016, 01:47 PM   #55
Chispo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX GUR 23
Lapis Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBee26 View Post
They didn't say it was a revised version, but according to sheet they gave me when I picked it up they replaced part #: 20310VA230 and 20320FG012.
Do you mind updating us? Did they fixed the problem completely, how it's doing so far? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:54 PM   #56
BillyBee26
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 457070
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
WRB

Quote:
Do you mind updating us? Did they fixed the problem completely, how it's doing so far? Thanks in advance.
So they replaced the left side mount and strut last time I was there and this fixed the noise on the driver's side for me. Now that this side stopped clunking I heard the other side start clunking as well. Placed a call to the dealer and they ordered the strut and mount for passenger side as well now. Bringing it in next weekend and expect all clunking to be gone after that.

The side they have already replaced has completely stopped the clunk, so I believe the combination of replacing both the strut and the strut mount took care of it.
BillyBee26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:34 PM   #57
Chispo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX GUR 23
Lapis Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBee26 View Post
So they replaced the left side mount and strut last time I was there and this fixed the noise on the driver's side for me. Now that this side stopped clunking I heard the other side start clunking as well. Placed a call to the dealer and they ordered the strut and mount for passenger side as well now. Bringing it in next weekend and expect all clunking to be gone after that.

The side they have already replaced has completely stopped the clunk, so I believe the combination of replacing both the strut and the strut mount took care of it.
Thank you for the update, they ordered both struts to replace mines, hope this fix the issue.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:17 PM   #58
Chispo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX GUR 23
Lapis Blue Pearl

UPDATE:
Got my car back and the replacement of both complete strut assemblies got rid of the clunk noise. I'm really glad and happy about it as it was really annoying. Now I just can't believe how the struts went bad with less than 18k miles and I don't off-road or track he car,uknow. Smdh
Old 11-24-2016, 12:16 PM   #59
Evo2suby
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 437700
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Premium

Anyone else successful in getting struts and mounts replaced? Local dealers we not willing to admit that I had a problem and wouldn't throw parts at it.
Evo2suby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:56 PM   #60
compengr
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 253339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo2suby View Post
Anyone else successful in getting struts and mounts replaced? Local dealers we not willing to admit that I had a problem and wouldn't throw parts at it.
Took mine in a few days ago. The dealer was actually aware of the issue but upon checking the car, found that I had the updated parts already installed. To make things worse, despite the noise being fairly obvious, I got the "could not duplicate the problem" response. Looks like it's going to be one of those....
compengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #61
Svillen
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by compengr View Post
Took mine in a few days ago. The dealer was actually aware of the issue but upon checking the car, found that I had the updated parts already installed. To make things worse, despite the noise being fairly obvious, I got the "could not duplicate the problem" response. Looks like it's going to be one of those....
Got the same issue last week. The technician drove it and said it's great. Then I drove. It was hard to duplicate it (I noticed the clunk noise is much louder in the cold mornings and when there's less weight on the problematic wheel/strut). One of the forum guys was advising to find a place around the dealer where you can easily duplicate it before you actually bring it to the dealer, so you don't waste your time and theirs of course. Mine gets very obvious when I'm going slow (15-25 mph) over few small bumps in a row, so the wheel can move up-down quickly. Another thing is when I'm going over little dips while cornering, so both wheels do not reach the dip at the same time.
Getting back to the story, the technician heard it and said it normal sound from a strut. Really? Then he told me he's been technician for 15 years and so on. Since when the struts started making sounds? Even worse, clunk sound. So I got really upset, told them I didn't buy the car like that and the struts should not make any sounds going over such a small bumps. Finally I am getting strut+strut mount and if it gets fixed, they said they will order for the other side too. Wish me luck and don't let them give you that "it's normal" bull****. I will let you know if the strut+mount fixed the issue.

One more thing, is everybody who has this issue with inverted struts?
Old 11-30-2016, 02:19 PM   #62
whiplash willy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 424843
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Limited 6MT
ISM

As far as which years/models have inverted struts:

The following DON'T have inverted struts:
2015 Base\Premium\Limited
2016 Base
2017 Base

The Following DO have Inverted Struts:
2016 Premium\Limited\STI
2017 Premium\Limited\STI

I have been having a similar/same issue with my 2016 limited. I have about 7k miles on it, and I believe it has been happening since new.

When driving up or down driveways, or going over speed bumps or potholes, I get a single clunk, in the driver side only.

In addition, when stopped, and turning my steering wheel back and fourth, I get the same clunk as I turn the wheel to the left. It doesn't make the noise when moving. I have a video of the clunk:

https://youtu.be/n5_2mrcAYbA

I got my car up on ramps, and could feel the clunk in the Steering Rack, Tie Rods, and Struts.

I looked at the Recall on the Strut Top Hats, and my VIN shows that I already have the updated parts, so that is not the issue.

http://subaru.oemdtc.com/333/popping...ubaru#more-333

I have been doing alot of research on the issue and found that it could potentially be 2 issues:

1. Excessive backlash in the steering rack, or Backlash Rattle/Clunk in the Worm Drive Gear of the EPS (Which is a normal thing in EPSs)
-FR-S and BRZs have a similar electric steering rack as us detailed in this thread:

http://gt86.com.au/forum/f16/all-gt8...ust-read-3164/

These posts talks about the clunk that is normal in EPS racks:

http://gt86.com.au/forum/f16/all-gt8...html#post53257

http://eb-cat.ds-navi.co.jp/enu/jtek...e/1009e_12.pdf

I did test drive a new 2017 premium and couldn't reproduce the clunk while driving, or turning the wheel back and fourth when stopped.

I did also check the FSM, and they said knocking in the "steering rack can be from excessive backlash" or "a loosened lock nut in for adjusting backlash" The fix is to remove the steering rack, and adjust the backlash, and if the noise remains, to replace the steering rack.

2. Noise from the Inverted Struts, and issue that STIs have reported

It seems to be more of a failure that comes with age, and not something we would experience on our newer lower mileage struts, but may be something to look further into.

http://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-...pe-struts.html

I am reluctant to take it in and have techs start messing with my car and throwing parts, that may or may not fix the issue, and would rather resolve it myself if I can. I hope someone can find what the cause of the issue is.

Anyone else with the clunk also experience it when turning the wheel back and fourth quickly when not moving?
whiplash willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #63
Chispo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX GUR 23
Lapis Blue Pearl

I have had both of the strut mounts replaced along with both strut assembly. The noise went away for a couple of weeks and now i swear i could hear the "clunk" on the driver side again wth...I will keep monitoring the situation. SMDH
Old 12-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #64
Svillen
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash willy View Post
In addition, when stopped, and turning my steering wheel back and fourth, I get the same clunk as I turn the wheel to the left. It doesn't make the noise when moving. I have a video of the clunk:

After I watched your video I tried mine and I have the same sound as yours when I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left. The right side is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chispo
I have had both of the strut mounts replaced along with both strut assembly. The noise went away for a couple of weeks and now i swear i could hear the "clunk" on the driver side again wth...I will keep monitoring the situation. SMDH
That's the thing I worry the most. A little off topic, but I had my clutch replaced because of whistling sound on cold starts, especially when its wet. They said they installed the latest revised clutch kit. Less then a 1000 miles later it does exactly the same thing. Sad.

I guess we should write complains to Subaru (as someone suggested earlier) and hope they will figure it out.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #65
Chispo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX GUR 23
Lapis Blue Pearl

I took this video of a "weird clunk" noise that sounds very similar to the noise it makes when taking small bumps and potholes at low speeds. They replace both struts and upper strut mounts and i swear i can hear the noise again on the left side driver side. WTH, i will let the dealer now when i take it for my oil change, i just wanted to share and see if anybody else is having this issues and what has been done to fix it, or if this is normal.

https://youtu.be/JbUIEMZFwyI

Last edited by Chispo; 12-09-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #66
whiplash willy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX Limited 6MT
ISM

Quote:
I took this video of a "weird clunk" noise that sounds very similar to the noise it makes when taking small bumps and potholes at low speeds. They replace both struts and upper strut mounts and i swear i can hear the noise again on the left side driver side. WTH, i will let the dealer now when i take it for my oil change, i just wanted to share and see if anybody else is having this issues and what has been done to fix it, or if this is normal.

https://youtu.be/JbUIEMZFwyI
That is the exact same sound I have. You can only reproduce it by turning the wheel back and fourth quickly with either stopped or moving slowly right?

What trim is your 2016? It am interested if you have the Base with the normal struts, or the Premium/Limited with the inverted struts.

It is good to know that replacing the struts and strut mounts didn't fix the issue, so we can rule those out. I haven't taken mine in to the dealer yet, as I am trying to avoid it if possible.

I have my suspicions that the noise is coming from the steering rack. I got my car up on ramps, and could feel the clunk in the rack and tie rods when someone was reproducing the clunk, more-so in the steering rack though. I have also read of excessive lash in these electric steering racks causing clunking noises.

When I have some time in the next couple of weeks, I am going to go through and re-torque every nut and bolt related to the front suspension and steering to spec, and see if that helps. If not I will probably end up taking it into the dealer for several sessions of them throwing parts at the issue, and it not being fixed. I will let you know if I find anything.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:50 PM   #67
Chispo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX GUR 23
Lapis Blue Pearl

I have the CVT Limited with EyeSight 2016. Yes, I rock the steering wheel from left to right and I can hear the clunk just like yours, it's annoying as hell going over small bumps at low speeds. I will let the dealer throw parts at it as long as the problem it's fixed and I will escalate it with SOA as I refuse to drive around in a relatively new car that my old beater ride better.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:07 PM   #68
calarco68
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 430648
Default service bulletin 06-61-16

Ive got the answer from rye subaru today. my wrx 2016 has weird noise on the front wheels when in reverse and wheels are at 3 o'clock. they finally made a recall on the front strut mounts, 05-61-16. Hope this helps. Parts are on order, so I'm guessing when the elfs are done with santa they will bang out a couple plates to put on my tin can. God i miss my stang!
chris
calarco68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #69
Evo2suby
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX Premium

I definitely have the same clunk when turning the wheel, tech acknowledged the noise, but said this was unrelated to the low speed clunk and of course normal. Hit some low temps this week, if I didn't know any better I would have thought my wheel was gonna fall off.... I just recently put winter wheels back on and when I jacked it up I heard a loud thud/clunk and then magically everything felt tight for a day or two. Back to the "normal" noise tho. I have some time off coming up, I am thinking of taking it to an alignment shop to see if they can document the looseness... I hope it can't be aligned and then I have the evidence I need to take on SOA. This is ridiculous! Been off here for a while so reading thru the posts, the strut mounts were the newer version on mine, so no luck getting them replaced, also the comment about getting the struts and mounts replaced and having the noise come back does not surprise me. I have felt the looseness on brand new WRXs, seems like a 50/50 shot of getting a good part. Same junk parts same problem. Keep the dialogue going, Subaru cant ignore us forever!

Last edited by Evo2suby; 12-20-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #70
Evo2suby
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX Premium

Quote:
As far as which years/models have inverted struts:

The following DON'T have inverted struts:
2015 Base\Premium\Limited
2016 Base
2017 Base

The Following DO have Inverted Struts:
2016 Premium\Limited\STI
2017 Premium\Limited\STI

I have been having a similar/same issue with my 2016 limited. I have about 7k miles on it, and I believe it has been happening since new.

When driving up or down driveways, or going over speed bumps or potholes, I get a single clunk, in the driver side only.

I got my car up on ramps, and could feel the clunk in the Steering Rack, Tie Rods, and Struts.
What did you do to feel the clunk? I was able to grab the top of the wheel with it sitting on level ground and get significant lateral movement and a clunk out of it. Did this in front of the dealer and they said its normal. If I get time, I will put a video together so everyone else can check theirs for the same looseness. This is what we did to check the 2017s sitting on the lot. I am thinking I may have checked a mix of Premium/Base WRXs and that is why some were tight and others were not.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #71
Evo2suby
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX Premium

My complaint with SOA is going nowhere. Nothing but empty promises to get my issue raised up to their engineering department then my contact comes back and says I need to get the Service department to duplicate the problem and recommend a repair..That was why I complained to SOA in the first place. The dealer did not want to start throwing parts at it until they can figure out what is really wrong and SOA acknowledges that they have defective parts.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #72
Chispo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX GUR 23
Lapis Blue Pearl

Quote:
My complaint with SOA is going nowhere. Nothing but empty promises to get my issue raised up to their engineering department then my contact comes back and says I need to get the Service department to duplicate the problem and recommend a repair..That was why I complained to SOA in the first place. The dealer did not want to start throwing parts at it until they can figure out what is really wrong and SOA acknowledges that they have defective parts.
I hear you man, file a complaint with safecar.gov. Hopefully that lights a fire under their butt. I'm in the same boat and if more people band together they might do something.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:08 PM   #73
whiplash willy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX Limited 6MT
ISM

Quote:
What did you do to feel the clunk? I was able to grab the top of the wheel with it sitting on level ground and get significant lateral movement and a clunk out of it. Did this in front of the dealer and they said its normal. If I get time, I will put a video together so everyone else can check theirs for the same looseness. This is what we did to check the 2017s sitting on the lot. I am thinking I may have checked a mix of Premium/Base WRXs and that is why some were tight and others were not.
If I am stopped or moving very slowly (Less then 5mph) and quickly move the wheel left and right, I can hear the clunk in the left part of the movement. It doesn't clunk if I move it slower. I can't feel the clunk in the steering wheel, but have been able to feel it in the steering rack and tie rods when I got under the car and had someone reproduce.

I tried reproducing it in a new 2017 premium, but couldn't. Also, I heard from a user with a 2015 base that has the problem as well, so I don't think it is an inverted strut issue.

I just saw a post from someone with a UK 2016 STI with a similar noise. The following link is his post with a video. In the thread someone mentioned it sounded like excessive gear lash in the steering rack, which is one thing I think it might be.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...3#post44692213
Old 12-21-2016, 11:13 PM   #74
NemesisWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 134413
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Quote:
If I am stopped or moving very slowly (Less then 5mph) and quickly move the wheel left and right, I can hear the clunk in the left part of the movement. It doesn't clunk if I move it slower. I can't feel the clunk in the steering wheel, but have been able to feel it in the steering rack and tie rods when I got under the car and had someone reproduce.

I tried reproducing it in a new 2017 premium, but couldn't. Also, I heard from a user with a 2015 base that has the problem as well, so I don't think it is an inverted strut issue.

I just saw a post from someone with a UK 2016 STI with a similar noise. The following link is his post with a video. In the thread someone mentioned it sounded like excessive gear lash in the steering rack, which is one thing I think it might be.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...3#post44692213
My 15 does this too, can you hear the noise when the car is off too? If so, it may be due to the connection between the steering wheel and the rack. I don't know if the 15+ have this, but my 03 had a rubber 'damper' between the connection that I think was loose and caused the clunking when rocking the wheel back and forth. It never bothered me because my bugeye did it forever and the noise never changed. I certainly don't like it, but I'm not too worried. I remember that the STi's had a solid connection and didn't have the noise, but I could never find the part out of one to swap in. Wonder if they still have the different part? It may not fit however due to the hydraulic vs servo steering racks now.
NemesisWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:22 PM   #75
shadrag
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 393545
Vehicle:
2015 WRX (6MT)
DGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisWRX View Post
My 15 does this too, can you hear the noise when the car is off too? If so, it may be due to the connection between the steering wheel and the rack. I don't know if the 15+ have this, but my 03 had a rubber 'damper' between the connection that I think was loose and caused the clunking when rocking the wheel back and forth. It never bothered me because my bugeye did it forever and the noise never changed. I certainly don't like it, but I'm not too worried. I remember that the STi's had a solid connection and didn't have the noise, but I could never find the part out of one to swap in. Wonder if they still have the different part? It may not fit however due to the hydraulic vs servo steering racks now.
The current WRXs still do have a steering damper, but both Perrin and Torque Solutions have made a product that will clamp the damper together for improved steering feel. As you mentioned you could just replace the WRX part with the solid STI part, but unless you find a used one it will probably be more expensive.
shadrag is offline   Reply With Quote