Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday November 20, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2015, 01:33 AM   #26
Blackwrx916
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 420937
Join Date: May 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRex12 View Post
Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like? You've got to be kidding me. I've been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that?

Can you rephrase that ?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Blackwrx916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:50 AM   #27
424wrx
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 171948
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: new york
Vehicle:
08 wrx stg3 vf52
14 legacy, 11 fozzy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwrx916 View Post
Can you rephrase that ?
i thought maybe read it backwards. wtf..
424wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:21 PM   #28
dunna15
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 506948
Join Date: Oct 2019
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
2017 STi
Crystal Black Silica

Default Temporarily Using Stage 2 OTS while Etune is being made

Not to bump up a dead thread but seeing as I can't post a thread until I reply 3 times as I am a new member....

I have a 2017 STi currently with a COBB SF Intake on their OTS Stage 1+ tune. I just purchased an Invidia Catless DP and R400 Gemini Catback. I bought an etune from BCP as well. They sent me a base map and I need to first send them an idle log and then they will send a drivable map. Seeing as this is my only car (other car was recently totaled from another driver running two red lights) and I need to be able to drive this car. Would the COBB Stage 2 OTS Tune work temporarily while they work on the etune? I would make sure to stay out of boost and drive it as gently as possible.

Thanks in advance for any help/insight on this!
dunna15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:01 PM   #29
wrxlaunch
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 181298
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MAIC
Vehicle:
2015 FUQ21BottiTuned
Full Bolt on Flex Fuel

Default

wrxlaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #30
dunna15
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 506948
Join Date: Oct 2019
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
2017 STi
Crystal Black Silica

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxlaunch View Post
So I have already read that before. It really doesn't answer my question though. COBB is going their butts and say to not use a catless DP on an OTS Tune they designed for solely their catted DP. But realistically what is the worst that could happen if I were to drive it for 1 to 3 days on Stage 2 while keeping it out of boost, on Intelligent Drive Mode, with RPM not going past 3K?

Now their Stage 2 OTS is only meant for a stock intake not their intake which brings up the question if I had to drive with an OTS Tune for 1 to 3 days would Stage 1+ or Stage 2 be the better route? Otherwise I have to install the downpipe, start the car with the base map, complete the idle log, send it to them and then reinstall the OEM downpipe just to reinstall the aftermarket downpipe once the next map comes in.
dunna15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:41 AM   #31
auSTIn541
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 506857
Join Date: Sep 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunna15 View Post
So I have already read that before. It really doesn't answer my question though. COBB is going their butts and say to not use a catless DP on an OTS Tune they designed for solely their catted DP. But realistically what is the worst that could happen if I were to drive it for 1 to 3 days on Stage 2 while keeping it out of boost, on Intelligent Drive Mode, with RPM not going past 3K?

Now their Stage 2 OTS is only meant for a stock intake not their intake which brings up the question if I had to drive with an OTS Tune for 1 to 3 days would Stage 1+ or Stage 2 be the better route? Otherwise I have to install the downpipe, start the car with the base map, complete the idle log, send it to them and then reinstall the OEM downpipe just to reinstall the aftermarket downpipe once the next map comes in.
I am literally in the exact same predicament. Same downpipe and catback coming in the mail running an invidia catless on cobb stage 2 and driving it very conservatively waiting for an e tune. I know it canít be good but so far nothing has jumped out at me and itís been about 2 weeks. Not ideally what I want to be doing but I donít have many options until the exhaust comes in :\
auSTIn541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:20 PM   #32
dunna15
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 506948
Join Date: Oct 2019
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
2017 STi
Crystal Black Silica

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auSTIn541 View Post
I am literally in the exact same predicament. Same downpipe and catback coming in the mail running an invidia catless on cobb stage 2 and driving it very conservatively waiting for an e tune. I know it canít be good but so far nothing has jumped out at me and itís been about 2 weeks. Not ideally what I want to be doing but I donít have many options until the exhaust comes in :\
I ended up just using the base map they sent me the week before. They told me not to drive it but I drove it on the base map without any real issues. Even though I planned on staying out of boost until the first revision it was too tempting and I over boosted or had boost creep to about 22 lbs. I took it easy after that.

Realistically, i'd just say as long as you are staying as much out of boost as possible you should be okay until your tuner sends you a map.
dunna15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:44 PM   #33
GlarryHoodDIT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 460907
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2016 WRX

Default

The link provided answered your question if you had bothered to read it.

"These maps are NOT designed to be used with an aftermarket race downpipe that does not have a catalytic converter (i.e. catless). Doing so greatly increases the chance for boost spikes and boost creep."

Why do you bother asking questions of NASIOC and your tuner if you're just going to ignore the answers and do what you want anyways? Going wot on a base map, very smart. I bet you'll be blaming him when you blow up your car doing stupid **** in a month.

Not following map notes is asking for trouble. Planning to stay out of boost isnt exactly a good plan, what are you going to do in an emergency?
GlarryHoodDIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #34
dunna15
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 506948
Join Date: Oct 2019
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
2017 STi
Crystal Black Silica

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlarryHoodDIT View Post
The link provided answered your question if you had bothered to read it.

"These maps are NOT designed to be used with an aftermarket race downpipe that does not have a catalytic converter (i.e. catless). Doing so greatly increases the chance for boost spikes and boost creep."

Why do you bother asking questions of NASIOC and your tuner if you're just going to ignore the answers and do what you want anyways? Going wot on a base map, very smart. I bet you'll be blaming him when you blow up your car doing stupid **** in a month.

Not following map notes is asking for trouble. Planning to stay out of boost isnt exactly a good plan, what are you going to do in an emergency?
Wow, just wow so much belittlement from your response. It honestly amazes me how people can just pop into a forum and just immediately try to put someone else down instead of being supportive and actually helpful.

First of all, I did read all the information on the link provided about the COBB OTS Tunes. But all that says is COBB made Stage "x" OTS Tune for certain intake, exhaust and fuel system requirements and what you were soooo kind to quote about boost spikes and boost creep. The question was if I was put in a situation where the base map that the tuner sent me was not driveable would the Stage 2 work in the interim. I was not asking if it was 100% optimized for my setup because once again I looked at all the OTS Maps when I got my AP a few months ago and noted that it is a CATTED DP more specifically their DP. So clearly my CATLESS DP won't be even remotely optimized for a CATTED DP.

It really isn't hard to do a simple calculation to show a exhaust volumetric flow between two different exhausts. Which would show the different output of air/exhaust being moved out of the system. Because a majority of aftermarket DP increase overall diameter there is less static pressure but a higher volumetric flow (CFM) assuming velocity is constant.

Q_2-Q_1=Delta(Q) where Q_n,
Q_n=(1.2)(D_eng x N)((460 F + T_eng)/530 F)

Second, what you do not know, is that I had in-depth conversations with my tuner on being able to drive my car on the base map he sent me after I had posted my initial question that bumped this thread back up. So what you didn't see was my tuner saying things like "As long as you install them correctly I promise you won't have an issue with the base tune. We make that a precautionary measure." and "Adding a turbo back can technically be ran on a stock tune you'd just want to stay out of boost." and instead to made some stupid assumptions about me being some kind of dumb ****.

The tuner had me do a WOT 3rd gear pull on the base map after looking at the idle log. He then had to barely make any changes following that WOT log. I wouldn't blame the tuner for car problems, I would go to them to see if they knew why I may be having certain issues but I'm not stupid enough to blame one person who tunes for the most well known Subie shop in the state for me driving the car hard enough to the point of breaking.

Actually, if the main concern is running the car way too hard when the tune on the car is not optimized for the modifications, staying out of boost is a fairly good plan. By staying out of boost you reduce any risk of boost creep. Low to no boost means you can't push the car as hard which means you won't see any aggressive fuel and air changes. An the 2015+ STi's have the ability to damped the power curve with the drive-mode settings specifically having it in Intelligent Mode opposed to Sport or Sport #.

Not sure what you meant by what would I do in an emergency. If you are talking about an emergency where I need to floor it, well I am going to floor it so I don't get hit or whatever the scenario may be.

Last edited by dunna15; 10-17-2019 at 02:12 PM.
dunna15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:24 PM   #35
pickleSlapOG
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 497893
Join Date: Feb 2019
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2011 Sti Hatch
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanWRX2010 View Post
I have received some different info on this subject stating a catless down pipe can be compatible for a stage 2 tune from the access port. I have a 2010 Wrx with Aem cai, perrin axle back exhaust and obviously a cobb ap. What is everyone's thoughts on this?
Ran a catless dp on the Cobb ots stg 2+ tune for 3 years, 80k miles, no issues.
pickleSlapOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.