Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday November 15, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 01:15 AM   #1
Speed Assault
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289598
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: S. Bay CA
Vehicle:
2008 impreza wrx

Default Turbo died today, 2008 wrx. whats an excellent brand?

Hi Guys, thank you for your time
My beloved owned 9yr 2008 wrx with 112k mile , seems the turbo went out today, well pretty sure. the engine sounds fine but while testing in driveway a higher rev, the turbo does not sound good, and on highway driving home its lost power.
I was hoping it was just my intercooler hose, but its a Mishimoto and holding up fine.

I researched reviews on Rally SD not much, searched several different words here on NASIOC and came up empty.
google search I read the 09 VF52 is good. Is this bolt on ready? can I add an upgraded fuel pump and injectors later and still be a great match?

What Turbo do i buy? I need my car back by the weekend to see my dad for his bday. I read the 2008 has the smallest turbo, thus you get that early on Torque which I really enjoy, So can you guys help recommend a great brand replacement that would provide same or more power, with opportunity that it would work with a upgraded fuel pmp and injectors for the future?

Thank You !

Some background info:
Engine and some other upgrades on my subi:
Cobb stage 2 tune
Cobb DP
Tomie up pipe
Tomie UL Headers. ( probably going to modd the stock manifold and buy legal Up pipe for next year)
Daily driver, spirited driving, like to do autox and track in future.
Killer B oil.
Mishimoto radiator
Mishi Hoses, but no intake
STi rear end
17x9 TSW wheels
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Speed Assault; 10-07-2019 at 01:24 AM.
Speed Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:10 AM   #2
viper_crazy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 298403
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Premium
Spark Silver

Default

The VF52 is a solid upgrade and it's bolt on. However, it's not bolt on and go. You'll need a tune, and pretty much immediately. Or if you have a second vehicle to use, use that until you can get a tune.

If you can't swing a tune, stick to a factory TD04L-19T for replacement.
viper_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
Speed Assault
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289598
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: S. Bay CA
Vehicle:
2008 impreza wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_crazy View Post
The VF52 is a solid upgrade and it's bolt on. However, it's not bolt on and go. You'll need a tune, and pretty much immediately. Or if you have a second vehicle to use, use that until you can get a tune.

If you can't swing a tune, stick to a factory TD04L-19T for replacement.
Thank You Viper. That's solid feedback. will i loose the early torque with the VF52? or the torque is still good but be happier with the mid range power?


To all,
Since I installed my headers, up pipe, DP, radiator, is swapping the turbo something I should attempt on my own?

If the turbo is toasted, is it safe to drive the car carefully 5 miles to mechanic?
or have it towed?

Calling my mechanic today to see how soon I can get a new turbo.

Also, I'm guessing that turbo blankets should not be used on stock turbos without bearings? ive had my blanket on for about 1.5 years. its suspicious to me that my turbo is making noise and lost power.

Thank You
Speed Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #4
viper_crazy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 298403
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Premium
Spark Silver

Default

Yes, your power band would shift upwards a bit. I've driven a VF52-equipped WRX and while there is a noticeable difference, in my opinion it wasn't anything I'd ever complain about, personally.

It's something you can do yourself. There's a few videos and how-to's on how to remove a Subaru turbo. It's pretty simple, so if your mechanically inclined, you can save the money for some beer (or whatever your flavor is).
viper_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:11 PM   #5
Speed Assault
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289598
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: S. Bay CA
Vehicle:
2008 impreza wrx

Default

How is stress on engine?
I donít want to increase stress on engine.
I already have a mysterious coolant leak.
Speed Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #6
viper_crazy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 298403
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Premium
Spark Silver

Default

You'd be upgrading the HP when you have it tuned, so it would go without saying that stress would increase. However, I don't believe there is any difference in the engines between the newer 265hp VF52 WRX EJ255's and the 224hp TD04L-19T WRX EJ255's, so you wouldn't be pushing it beyond any limits. Only difference was turbo. Even injectors were the same, iirc.
viper_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:54 PM   #7
Speed Assault
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289598
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: S. Bay CA
Vehicle:
2008 impreza wrx

Default

Yes good notice there thank you for bringing up the engine model vs turbo model.
Iím in ca smog laws , so Iím concerned with future checks , and I was told a vf52 would require a new tune

My mechanic that works mostly on Subaru s , had a lot to say when I mentioned upgrading, but he recommends staying original
Speed Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:06 PM   #8
viper_crazy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 298403
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Premium
Spark Silver

Default

Yes, staying with original turbo would be the easiest.
viper_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:21 AM   #9
Jay11STI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 492422
Join Date: Oct 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Assault View Post
I already have a mysterious coolant leak.
This is what worries me here. What do you mean by mysterious? Are you loosing
coolant and do see any visual signs of a coolant leak. Given your kind of mileage and the cars age, i would recommend addressing this prior to adding a turbo.

Reguardless of what turbo you get, i would suggest you get the car protuned.
Jay11STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:13 PM   #10
Speed Assault
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289598
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: S. Bay CA
Vehicle:
2008 impreza wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_crazy View Post
Yes, staying with original turbo would be the easiest.
my mechanic has me all worried about passing smog if i were to alter the turbo from factory, he found me a replacement subaru turbo for $900. OEM. so as I need my car running I said go ahead. but now, worried if I am going to regret not going to the VF52, to get me from stock HP 224 to 265 like the 2009 offers.

again, I have Cobb stg 2, Cobb DP, Up pipe, hdrs, susp mods, removed 70lbs of weight , so i would guess with the DP and boost it would be at 240hp now on stock tiny turbo.
Is it safe to say if I ran my mods with the VF52 it should output 275HP?

How much low end would I loose going with Vf52 and how much of pain is it to pass smog?
personally i dont see them inspecting a turbo, but the mechanic says the tune will have to make things work right.
I would essentially need 2 different Protunes,
1 Tune for Stock exhaust with Vf52 turbo to pass smog
2nd tune to run the car with the Cobb Downpipe with the VF52, right?

Last edited by Speed Assault; 10-08-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Speed Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:18 PM   #11
viper_crazy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 298403
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Premium
Spark Silver

Default

Those are questions best left for someone with Smog experience. I don't have any of that where I live.
viper_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:53 PM   #12
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Assault View Post
my mechanic has me all worried about passing smog if i were to alter the turbo from factory, he found me a replacement subaru turbo for $900. OEM. so as I need my car running I said go ahead. but now, worried if I am going to regret not going to the VF52, to get me from stock HP 224 to 265 like the 2009 offers.

again, I have Cobb stg 2, Cobb DP, Up pipe, hdrs, susp mods, removed 70lbs of weight , so i would guess with the DP and boost it would be at 240hp now on stock tiny turbo.
Is it safe to say if I ran my mods with the VF52 it should output 275HP?

How much low end would I loose going with Vf52 and how much of pain is it to pass smog?
personally i dont see them inspecting a turbo, but the mechanic says the tune will have to make things work right.
I would essentially need 2 different Protunes,
1 Tune for Stock exhaust with Vf52 turbo to pass smog
2nd tune to run the car with the Cobb Downpipe with the VF52, right?
Have you/how do you pass smog with your existing setup?

An OEM-like appearance turbo will likely not cause you any issues with smog. The Cobb downpipe and header are another story. You'll likely have to remove those and go back to stock to pass the visual inspection.

You should technically be able to run the same tune just for smog with swapping the stock downpipe back on.. or you could flash the stock tune back and just stay out of boost while you're smogging the car.

Again, these answers probably depend on how you're currently passing smog with your setup.
WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:30 PM   #13
Speed Assault
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289598
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: S. Bay CA
Vehicle:
2008 impreza wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXnick16 View Post
Have you/how do you pass smog with your existing setup?

An OEM-like appearance turbo will likely not cause you any issues with smog. The Cobb downpipe and header are another story. You'll likely have to remove those and go back to stock to pass the visual inspection.

You should technically be able to run the same tune just for smog with swapping the stock downpipe back on.. or you could flash the stock tune back and just stay out of boost while you're smogging the car.

Again, these answers probably depend on how you're currently passing smog with your setup.
The stock stuff goes back on and the smog guy runs the car on the dyno, so I cant tell him be gentle on the throttle.
I would have to have 2 tunes.
Speed Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:41 PM   #14
Speed Assault
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289598
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: S. Bay CA
Vehicle:
2008 impreza wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay11STI View Post
This is what worries me here. What do you mean by mysterious? Are you loosing
coolant and do see any visual signs of a coolant leak. Given your kind of mileage and the cars age, i would recommend addressing this prior to adding a turbo.

Regardless of what turbo you get, i would suggest you get the car protuned.
i say mysterious because like I said the coolant runs low and resovoir goes empty. but the past week the reservoir has stayed the same. ? ?
maybe there was a leak in coolant line to turbo? that would certainly explain the water evaporating without seeing, smelling.

I need to but I have not mapped visually in my head where all the coolant passages are in the engine, ( I should and would normally know this) (gear head) my opinion It's likely that the leak is so tiny and going into exhaust or somewhere but is so small that it just evaporates. the oil is always fine.

it will be addressed.

My thermostate stuck closed on me in middle of nowhere at night last christmas, still in 60-70degrees outside. I removed it, it ran really great as i watched the temp on my cobb, even seemed like had more power. ? dangers of not using thermostate?
any way, I had run out of Subi blue coolant and did end up using a little toyota red coolant.
since all that it's flushed and only has Subi blue coolant with a bit of distilled water, 12oz of water wetter.
Speed Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:13 PM   #15
Speed Assault
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289598
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: S. Bay CA
Vehicle:
2008 impreza wrx

Default

Going to have engine inspected, make sure its solid, install stock turbo, retune for more HP. The most important is that the engine last a long time.
When it comes to pushing the engine, many say just keep up on maintenance but, the math is easy, you push it more, it will wear more.
It's a blast to drive, but wont be a P 911 turbo.

wish I could figure out which DIY muffler to swap in though. tons of great mods done, and still cant figure out a great muffler. dying to dump the 38 pounder .

Thank you all for your input.
NASIOC Rules
Speed Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:25 PM   #16
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Assault View Post
The stock stuff goes back on and the smog guy runs the car on the dyno, so I cant tell him be gentle on the throttle.
I would have to have 2 tunes.
Your '08 has to go on the dyno? I was under the impression that '98 & later (OBD2) no longer undergo the "sniffer" test on the dyno. I thought they just do the scanner & visual portion of the test now.
WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:48 AM   #17
Speed Assault
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289598
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: S. Bay CA
Vehicle:
2008 impreza wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXnick16 View Post
Your '08 has to go on the dyno? I was under the impression that '98 & later (OBD2) no longer undergo the "sniffer" test on the dyno. I thought they just do the scanner & visual portion of the test now.
Oh I guess your right . They inspect the engine for anything out of place inspect exhaust . Test gas cap.
my truck is older, the older vehicles They use the rollers and drive the vehicle at a certain rpm for certain duration of time shown the computer, then they speed up to another gear like highway speed at another range of rpm for a duration of time.
They inspect the engine, exhaust, test gas cap
Speed Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:29 AM   #18
shadowsports
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 446364
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Nor Cal
Vehicle:
'17 STI LMT '08 LGT
DGM / QSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Assault View Post
Oh I guess your right . They inspect the engine for anything out of place inspect exhaust . Test gas cap.
my truck is older, the older vehicles They use the rollers and drive the vehicle at a certain rpm for certain duration of time shown the computer, then they speed up to another gear like highway speed at another range of rpm for a duration of time.
They inspect the engine, exhaust, test gas cap

WRXNick16 is correct. Here in CA they do ODB2 and visual on newer vehicles.

Speed Assault. Don't see how you can pass visual. I live on the peninsula BTW, driving Subarus for 13 yrs and living in CA all my life. You'll have to pay someone off to pass smog. Your car can meet all emissions tests, be under all PPMs emissions, but as soon as you open your hood, a tech is going to say what's that? CA is a unfriendly state for serious mods. They are looking for reasons to fail you regardless of how well the car runs. I hope you have friends in the SMOG business. its a pain.
shadowsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #19
Speed Assault
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289598
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: S. Bay CA
Vehicle:
2008 impreza wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsports View Post
WRXNick16 is correct. Here in CA they do ODB2 and visual on newer vehicles.

Speed Assault. Don't see how you can pass visual. I live on the peninsula BTW, driving Subarus for 13 yrs and living in CA all my life. You'll have to pay someone off to pass smog. Your car can meet all emissions tests, be under all PPMs emissions, but as soon as you open your hood, a tech is going to say what's that? CA is a unfriendly state for serious mods. They are looking for reasons to fail you regardless of how well the car runs. I hope you have friends in the SMOG business. its a pain.
Hi Shadowsports
So your saying that the visual would fail me because there going to notice the turbo, which is a 1 year later model?
Speed Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:13 PM   #20
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

I think it's very unlikely since it looks factory. They are not Subaru specialists and as long as the engine appears stock and has the factory emissions equipment in place then you should be fine. They'll have no reason to dig deeper.

Some shops are very lax on the visual inspection as long as you pass the OBD2 scan. The STAR smog stations are more thorough with their visual inspection if you get selected to go there. But even then, I still doubt that they'll recognize the difference with an OEM VF52.
WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:22 AM   #21
shadowsports
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 446364
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Nor Cal
Vehicle:
'17 STI LMT '08 LGT
DGM / QSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Assault View Post
Hi Shadowsports
So your saying that the visual would fail me because there going to notice the turbo, which is a 1 year later model?
Sorry for the late reply. Not the turbo, the DP (even if catted) is what usually triggers their alarms. Keeping everything as "stock" looking as possible will help. You might get lucky.
shadowsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:37 PM   #22
Speed Assault
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289598
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: S. Bay CA
Vehicle:
2008 impreza wrx

Default

I'm replacing the engine, due to coolant leak into the exhaust, which caused the Turbo to die .
headgasket issue. and he says has block issue.
variance in compression. my mechanic also did a CO2 leak test and that came back bad.
Compression / CO2 Leakdown
#1 130 / 22% crank
#2 135 / 17% crank
#3 135 / 23% crank
#4 137 / 33% crank


Any Facts, advice on this?:
I was offered a Tomie Arms M7760 Turbo. its bolt on , but its slighter larger and the actuator is anodized blue. So I wonder if it will pass smog?
when I smog, I put my factory DP back on, sometimes put the heat shield back on as well.
though now, not sure if it will fit over the tomie?

Any advantage of using a Tomie TD04 over a OEM?

I think my mechanic got me OEM for $900.

Thank you All

Just want to add in that Motul Oil is Awesome!
I have only used it once so far, but will solely use it from now on. been the best
#1 Motul Xclean , still good MPG, no burning, consistently cleaner longer
#2 Rotella T6 almost no burning, decent MPG
#3 Castrol GTX almost no burning, decent MPG
#4 Mobile 1 almost no burning, decent MPG
#5 Royal Purple . was ok, first oil I started using when purchase car used at 33k miles( i hate that I cannot see how dirty the oil is, and it does still burn a bit) My #4 crank bearing spun after 20k miles using this stuff. but I was also the 2nd owner at this point.
#6 Ams oil., Excellent MPG, but burns the most.

I use Blackhole magnets on my Subi oil filter.

Thank you All

Last edited by Speed Assault; 10-17-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Speed Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.