Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 18, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #1
FLY_DMy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 457223
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza 5Dr Ltd
Graphite

Post New 2017 Impreza Owners - Impressions?

I would like to start a a post specifically concerning new owner observations, or impressions of the 95% new vehicle.

I'll start by noting a couple of mine:

The 13 to 1 steering ratio is soo quick, at some intersections it doesn't even rotate far enough to trigger the Turn Signal release ...lol

Very Flat in the turns, that stabilizer re-configuration has really reduced body roll : )
FLY_DMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2017, 06:14 PM   #2
vertrkr
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 460793
Vehicle:
2017 Premium 5 Door

I just drove 40 miles home from the dealer 10 minutes ago in my Premium trim. The only thing that stood out was the steering seemed pretty tight and little to no free play so it was a little more difficult to relax and keep it centered in the lane on the freeway than I'm used to. I've never driven a Subaru before so I have no previous experience.

I'm 6'4" 280 lbs and I fit pretty darn good although I could use a tad more leg room. The car is for my daughter so all these are non issues. Apple CarPlay was nice, came right up and got directions to home with no fuss. It even re-routed me once when driving thru crowded San Fransisco streets.

Over all, very impressed for an entry level model. I could not find one paint defect, misaligned panel, loose part...

Last edited by vertrkr; 01-30-2017 at 09:20 AM.
vertrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:09 PM   #3
TrickNipple
moon moon

Member#: 86213
Chapter/Region: NWIC

How is the premium an entry-level trim?
TrickNipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:37 PM   #4
angglev
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 459160
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza
Crystal White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickNipple View Post
How is the premium an entry-level trim?

The models start with 2.0i, 2.0i Premium, 2.0i Sport, then 2.0i Limited.

The difference between 2.0i and Premium are minimal...black versus body color, heated seats, number of speakers, hubcaps versus rims, etc.
angglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
drpoop
*** Banned ***

Member#: 421858
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

"minimal"

drpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:05 PM   #6
angglev
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza
Crystal White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpoop View Post
"minimal"

Truth. Cosmetic changes are simple touches.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:02 PM   #7
drpoop
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Right, thousands of dollars worth of minor changes.

Not everyone wants their car to be a bare bones track car. "Cosmetic" changes are not always minor. A minor cosmetic change is, for example, the 2015 Imp vs the 2012-15. Basically changed the fog lights and I think a couple pieces of plastic in the interior.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:07 AM   #8
angglev
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza
Crystal White Pearl

Quote:
Right, thousands of dollars worth of minor changes.

Not everyone wants their car to be a bare bones track car. "Cosmetic" changes are not always minor. A minor cosmetic change is, for example, the 2015 Imp vs the 2012-15. Basically changed the fog lights and I think a couple pieces of plastic in the interior.

A couple thousand for some rims, some paint, a couple heated features and a couple extra speakers. The 2.0i isn't bare bones and the 2017 Impreza isn't a track car. Although you're correct in saying that not all changes are always minor, these are. The difference between the 2.0i and the 2.0i Premium is minimal in that, in the grand scheme of what features the car has versus the cost of the vehicle in total, are minimal. These are also very simple upgrades for someone who wants to upgrade away from OEM options. Hakuna your tatas, doc poop.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:16 AM   #9
drpoop
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Why don't you tell me what you think major cosmetic changes are lol... you think a $75,000 F450 King Ranch vs a $30,000 XLT is what constitutes a major change or something?

Minor is minor. This is not minor.

You're not going to get $15,000 of upgrades in a car that costs $18k base dude. It's relative to the price of the car.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:49 AM   #10
angglev
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza
Crystal White Pearl

Quote:
Why don't you tell me what you think major cosmetic changes are lol... you think a $75,000 F450 King Ranch vs a $30,000 XLT is what constitutes a major change or something?

Minor is minor. This is not minor.

You're not going to get $15,000 of upgrades in a car that costs $18k base dude. It's relative to the price of the car.

A couple thousand isn't much when you mod a car. Like I said, hakuna your tatas. There is no need to argue every person who posts in this forum.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:11 AM   #11
FLY_DMy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza 5Dr Ltd
Graphite

Arrow Ahh, the SF area...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertrkr View Post

I'm 6'4" 280 lbs and I fit pretty good although I could use a little more leg room. The car is for my daughter so all these are non issues. Apple CarPlay was nice, came right up and got directions to home with no fuss. It even re-routed me once when driving thru crowded San Fransisco streets.

Over all, very impressed for an entry level model.
Awesome, my mom lives in SF. Wife and I just returned from a recent trip there and stayed in Monterrey, wish I had my 5Dr to drive through Pebble, Hwy 1, etc. while there : (

But yes, size wise very much agree - I am 6'2" 230 and cannot believe the room, I probably have 2-3" inches of headroom to boot, this is definitely the biggest "small car" I have ever owned or driven, (not to mention, the tightest, quietest, and best handling
Old 01-30-2017, 08:32 AM   #12
FLY_DMy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza 5Dr Ltd
Graphite

Post Android Auto and Apple Car Play Issues???

I wanted to pass on another one of my initial issues/resolutions.

When I took delivery of my 2017, the dealer had given me a pretty cool (except the color), multi-adapter USB cable because my phone was almost dead.

After leaving the dealership I thought I would use my new USB cable to check out Android Auto.

Wrong!!! After plugging it into my Samsung 7, the icon for Android Auto was just as "Grey" as before.

I checked settings on the phone and Infotainment, but kept coming back to the cable. At one point I had tried (3) different cables!!!

I knew I didn't have (3) bad USB cables, and I was right - I didn't even have (1) bad cable, I just didn't have one cable of the right specification.

I went out and bought a Belkin a Mixit Lightning Charge and Sync cable and voila~ Problem Solved!!!

It would appear based on my troubleshooting that a std 2.0 USB to Micro cable will not work. Would need to be of 3.0 USB spec, there is even a 3.1 USB spec out now (with universal orientation) meaning "not keyed" or ie: you can't plug it in wrong. But we probably won't see many of those devices/cables for a while yet.

Not suggesting Belkin necessarily but found mine at Walgreens for like $9.00 and was glad to have this resolved.

Here is another option (if you a Fry's in your neighborhood):
http://www.frys.com/product/7734058?...q6gaAt0I8P8HAQ

Hopefully I can save someone else the trouble.

Last edited by FLY_DMy; 01-30-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:30 PM   #13
2.5~rs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 158794
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
xxxx wrx
silver

My wife has a white 17 sport cvt and my 5spd lapis blue sport just showed up on a truck this morning. Being a Subaru sales rep I was able to fall for this car a while ago. So far I'm really impressed, the ride, sound system, handling, it's all great. A little disappointed the manual is a 5spd but having a clutch is good enough.

Mike
2.5~rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #14
KC
Scooby Guru

Member#: 442
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

I didn't think the 5MT was supposed to show up until end of Feb. Nice!

--kC
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:34 PM   #15
2.5~rs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 158794
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
xxxx wrx
silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
I didn't think the 5MT was supposed to show up until end of Feb. Nice!

--kC
I put my order in day 1 of the system opening up. I like to think Subaru rushed the order since I work at one of their dealerships but who knows

Mike
2.5~rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:50 PM   #16
TrickNipple
moon moon

Member#: 86213
Chapter/Region: NWIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by angglev View Post
The models start with 2.0i, 2.0i Premium, 2.0i Sport, then 2.0i Limited.

The difference between 2.0i and Premium are minimal...black versus body color, heated seats, number of speakers, hubcaps versus rims, etc.
The Subaru website has a base model listed. So no, the premium isn't the lowest trim level.
TrickNipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:53 PM   #17
iii_xxi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 459277
Default So far so good

My first Subaru so I can't compare it to older models. But compared to my trade a 2013 Dodge Avenger it's GLORIOUS. I did drive my sisters 2015 a few times and I also drove a limited 2017 vs 2017 Sport and idk if it's in my head but to me the sport drives a bit better - maybe it's just the acceleration or maybe I'm just happier in the sport lol!! I love the car all around.. I've been averaging 32mpg I do mostly highway and that way better then the dodge which was also a 4cyl. Ummm u have eyesight too and the adaptive cruise control is great!!
iii_xxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:17 PM   #18
drpoop
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Did your Avenger have the 3.5L engine? I looked at that before I knew Chrysler products were total crap. Just didn't look like a fast car, but with 3.5L it SHOULD have been fast. Although it was just towards the end of the era where American cars had massive displacement and minuscule horsepower.

inb4 off topic
Old 01-30-2017, 07:47 PM   #19
Dianoda
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 445553
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport

I have a sport hatch with the HK stereo/sunroof/eyesight package, took delivery about a month ago and have over 1300 miles driven.

The bad: I live in Colorado, and, unsurprisingly, the engine can feel somewhat gutless when heading up mountain passes (i.e., above 8,000ft). No available LED/steering responsive headlamps on the US spec sport model kinda blows, the reflector headlights it ships with could be brighter. I've had a few infotainment gremlins (not very responsive touch screen in extreme cold, android auto failing to connect), although none recently. No rear center armrest on non-Limited US models. I wish there was overhead lighting in the back of the hatch instead of the single light on the left side.

The good: Having AWD works wonders in moderately deep snow. I'm getting decent fuel economy (my most recent tank was 32mpg per fuelly, not bad considering I'm still breaking the car in). Seats are comfortable (adequate bolstering and lumbar support) and solid visibility all around. The HK stereo sounds good, ride and handling are both stellar. The car does very well cruising at 75+mph (Colorado front range interstate speed limits are often 75mph and traffic flow is usually a bit above that), road and wind noise are much reduced compared to the '16 Forester I was previously driving. Android auto is useful for managing nav/music/calls, although the google play music interface in android auto could use some additions to the selection options (i.e., why can't I browse my stations/artists/albums directly? Or maybe you can only browse those when in park? I end up relying on voice commands, which only work when your cellphone has a data connection). Overall, it's mostly been what I was looking for - a reasonably fuel efficient vehicle for outdoorsy oriented road trips (hiking/backpacking, snowshoeing, skiing, biking, etc. - drove it to Great Sand Dunes NP a week ago, and if the weather is decent, I'm headed to the Tetons this weekend). Keyless entry and push button start, once you've had those, you won't want to go back.

General observations: the steering feels almost too quick on the highway, it could be a bit heavier at speed, lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control are both pretty useful on long stretches of open road. Turn in is sharp, the car entertains in the canyons. There are no rear air vents on the back of the center console, but there are rear vents underneath the front seats. I kinda like the texture of the fake carbon trim, I was expecting it to look worse.

I'm still waiting for weathertech to begin offering floorliners for the new imprezas, crossing my fingers that they have them up for ordering by the end of February.

Last edited by Dianoda; 01-30-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Dianoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:17 PM   #20
St3althyyy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 462096
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza
Carbide Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianoda View Post
I have a sport hatch with the HK stereo/sunroof/eyesight package, took delivery about a month ago and have over 1300 miles driven.

The bad: I live in Colorado, and, unsurprisingly, the engine can feel somewhat gutless when heading up mountain passes (i.e., above 8,000ft). No available LED/steering responsive headlamps on the US spec sport model kinda blows, the reflector headlights it ships with could be brighter. I've had a few infotainment gremlins (not very responsive touch screen in extreme cold, android auto failing to connect), although none recently. No rear center armrest on non-Limited US models. I wish there was overhead lighting in the back of the hatch instead of the single light on the left side.

The good: Having AWD works wonders in moderately deep snow. I'm getting decent fuel economy (my most recent tank was 32mpg per fuelly, not bad considering I'm still breaking the car in). Seats are comfortable (adequate bolstering and lumbar support) and solid visibility all around. The HK stereo sounds good, ride and handling are both stellar. The car does very well cruising at 75+mph (Colorado front range interstate speed limits are often 75mph and traffic flow is usually a bit above that), road and wind noise are much reduced compared to the '16 Forester I was previously driving. Android auto is useful for managing nav/music/calls, although the google play music interface in android auto could use some additions to the selection options (i.e., why can't I browse my stations/artists/albums directly? Or maybe you can only browse those when in park? I end up relying on voice commands, which only work when your cellphone has a data connection). Overall, it's mostly been what I was looking for - a reasonably fuel efficient vehicle for outdoorsy oriented road trips (hiking/backpacking, snowshoeing, skiing, biking, etc. - drove it to Great Sand Dunes NP a week ago, and if the weather is decent, I'm headed to the Tetons this weekend). Keyless entry and push button start, once you've had those, you won't want to go back.

General observations: the steering feels almost too quick on the highway, it could be a bit heavier at speed, lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control are both pretty useful on long stretches of open road. Turn in is sharp, the car entertains in the canyons. There are no rear air vents on the back of the center console, but there are rear vents underneath the front seats. I kinda like the texture of the fake carbon trim, I was expecting it to look worse.

I'm still waiting for weathertech to begin offering floorliners for the new imprezas, crossing my fingers that they have them up for ordering by the end of February.
Waiting for the weatherTech too!
St3althyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:49 PM   #21
Gadabout
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 461858
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza
Island Blue Pearl

Base Model. Driven for two weeks now. Replaced a 2006 Ford Focus. Parked next to a 2005 Corolla.

The Bad:
-I keep kicking and scuffing the speaker grille when I get out of the car. This is obviously more of a problem with my inability to exit a vehicle..but still. ha.
-Not bad, per se, but I'm still getting used to the CVT. The rubberband effect after having opened the throttle (not WOT) is really my only gripe. I'm used the instant-ish response of the Focus.
-First infotainment issue popped up today. Screen froze on the backup cam. bleh.
-My Focus' doors lock when I drive off. So does my Corolla. The Impreza does not. Maybe just a Base Model omission?
-It's not a WRX =P

(for the record, I obviously made the decision to be ok with these things =])

The Good:
-I like the steering. It's the first thing I enjoyed when we first got it.
-Compared to my two older cars, the interior is gorgeous for a Base Model (obviously).
-The ride at high-ish speeds is very smooth and straight, even on ****ty roads.
-We don't get much rainfall in Southern CA, but it was far more stress free getting around in this car than any car I've been in before while it was pouring out. (Most recent comparable vehicle being a '13 Avenger)
-Heel/Toe spacing between the throttle and brake is nice.
-The brakes are great.
-The elbow room is awesome. (I'm only 5'7")
Gadabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:11 PM   #22
drpoop
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Subarus don't lock doors when you drive off. The legacy might... Impreza never has. Deal with it. I have to explain this every time someone posts that they just got their first Impreza.

Subaru is spending a few thousand on your AWD. The other brands use that few $k in weird random (usually interior) features that make you think "wow the other car I test drove doesn't have that!" which sways a lot of stupid buyers who think little unnecessary features = a good vehicle.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:34 PM   #23
Gadabout
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 461858
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza
Island Blue Pearl

Quote:
Subarus don't lock doors when you drive off. The legacy might... Impreza never has. Deal with it. I have to explain this every time someone posts that they just got their first Impreza.

Subaru is spending a few thousand on your AWD. The other brands use that few $k in weird random (usually interior) features that make you think "wow the other car I test drove doesn't have that!" which sways a lot of stupid buyers who think little unnecessary features = a good vehicle.
https://www.screencast.com/t/gGtdRnexahM
Gadabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:06 PM   #24
FLY_DMy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza 5Dr Ltd
Graphite

Post Ditto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianoda View Post
Ditto on the WeatherTech, I think most of us are waiting on the liners (good investment).

I found a Cargo Net on ebay for like 15.00, looks and fits like the factory one, at a fraction of the price (if that helps anyone).

I also found a 90 degree 3.0 USB adapter that is very useful for quick connects when lifting the armrest for a plug in (since it's now staring directly up at you
Old 01-31-2017, 08:20 PM   #25
drpoop
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadabout View Post
You said you weren't sure if that was just the base model. It's not. That's what I was saying, as well as explaining why.