Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 26, 2022
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-17-2022, 08:34 PM   #1
99RallyGramps
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 433419
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatch

Default New Engine & Clutch and now...Shifting Issues

As the title says, I've recently put a new engine, along with a new "Competition Clutch" brand OE style clutch disc and pressure plate, resurfaced flywheel, and am now having shifting issues.
Car is a 2014 WRX hatch with ~62,000 miles on it.
The car was on jack stands for approx. 6 months waiting for the engine from the builder (another entire headache of a story). All is back in and sounds great, engine wise.
Transmission doesn't sound the happiest though. New fluid in the trans and rear diff, levels are good. There seems to be an engagement noise of some sort though.
With the car in the air, I put the car in 1st at idle speed just checking on everything. There is a binding noise of sorts coming from the trans as it rotates. I wasn't sure if this was just from sitting in one spot for so long so I decided to take it on a test drive. 1st & 2nd engage with no issue, 3rd seems to sometimes grind as it goes in, and 4th feels like it clicks in but then grinds as if it is not engaged at all as I let the clutch out. 5th is the same story as 3rd.
To me, this is eluding to some sort engagement issue? I bled the clutch.
Nothing else seems to be out of order, clutch pedal feels normal, not making any noise as far as actual clutch movement...
I did jack the trans up multiple times as I was installing the new engine to make things easier on myself.
No links are bent. All the bushings are in great shape.

The only other thing I can think of is pedal adjustment??

Any input or links to other threads are greatly appreciated!
99RallyGramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2022, 07:11 PM   #2
techgirlboss
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 531116

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99RallyGramps View Post
As the title says, I've recently put a new engine, along with a new "Competition Clutch" brand OE style clutch disc and pressure plate, resurfaced flywheel, and am now having shifting issues.
Car is a 2014 WRX hatch with ~62,000 miles on it.
The car was on jack stands for approx. 6 months waiting for the engine from the builder (another entire headache of a story). All is back in and sounds great, engine wise.
Transmission doesn't sound the happiest though. New fluid in the trans and rear diff, levels are good. There seems to be an engagement noise of some sort though.
With the car in the air, I put the car in 1st at idle speed just checking on everything. There is a binding noise of sorts coming from the trans as it rotates. I wasn't sure if this was just from sitting in one spot for so long so I decided to take it on a test drive. 1st & 2nd engage with no issue, 3rd seems to sometimes grind as it goes in, and 4th feels like it clicks in but then grinds as if it is not engaged at all as I let the clutch out. 5th is the same story as 3rd.
To me, this is eluding to some sort engagement issue? I bled the clutch.
Nothing else seems to be out of order, clutch pedal feels normal, not making any noise as far as actual clutch movement...
I did jack the trans up multiple times as I was installing the new engine to make things easier on myself.
No links are bent. All the bushings are in great shape.

The only other thing I can think of is pedal adjustment??

Any input or links to other threads are greatly appreciated!
Is it a 6 speed manual? I just read an article where someone had a 6 speed transmission in his 2009 WRX that was causing a high pitched noise...think he had engine problems too though. Think he had about 81k miles so your car seems well under that.

Here's the link: https://lemonlawexperts.com/case-res...aru-wrx-lemon/

Did the car have engine problems too and that's why you replaced the engine? I'd say go ahead with the pedal adjustment... unless the transmission is defective.. there really couldn't be anything else that I can think of.
techgirlboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 04:01 AM   #3
99RallyGramps
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 433419
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatch

No, not the 6 speed unfortunately. The 5 speed. I adjusted the clutch pedal and that seemed to help with 3rd and 5th, but 4th is still not very cooperative. If I shift into 4th and then to neutral and then back to 4th AND THEN let the clutch out, itís fine most of the time. I think it may need a rebuild.
Going 6 speed would be ideal, but we donít necessarily live in an ideal world. Maybe one day. I really just need the trans to last a one way cross country trip.
99RallyGramps is offline   Reply With Quote