Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 1, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2019, 09:09 AM   #26
BoxedUpyo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 510262
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Southeast
Vehicle:
2019 WRX STI
Silver

Default Me too

I had a new 19 wrx for a year and got a new 19 STI a few months ago. No regrets. Just as a daily driver it is so much smoother and refined. Love it.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
BoxedUpyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:33 AM   #27
rtv900
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 428511
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: philadelphia
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Default

although I agree the STI is better, kind of an unusual opinion that the STI is smoother and more refined than the wrx
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:17 AM   #28
willthetech
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 498029
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Cleveland Ohio
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Premium
Pearl Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv900 View Post
although I agree the STI is better, kind of an unusual opinion that the STI is smoother and more refined than the wrx
LOL! True...I drove my son's brother in law 2019 sti, and is straight out a racing car. Although very doable as a DD for a car enthusiast, not sure everyone will appreciate the rough ride.
willthetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:59 AM   #29
WhiteRX09
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 321304
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willthetech View Post
LOL! True...I drove my son's brother in law 2019 sti, and is straight out a racing car. Although very doable as a DD for a car enthusiast, not sure everyone will appreciate the rough ride.
I shattered my spine and DD the STI. No issues at all. I keep going back to STIs after attempts at other cars because how they feel and drive. The rawness and visceral experience tops all cars in the category of 300+ HP, DD, and Under $40k.
WhiteRX09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:09 AM   #30
oichan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A garage in the Midwest
Vehicle:
19 WRX / 16 STI
17 Golf-R / 16 FiST

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv900 View Post
although I agree the STI is better, kind of an unusual opinion that the STI is smoother and more refined than the wrx
Unless the 19 STI's are softer bound, my 16 STI runs a lot firmer than my 19 WRX. I love my WRX and STI. They are absolutely fun cars to drive and own. I too can't be happier.

Congrats again, OP.
oichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:19 AM   #31
willthetech
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 498029
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Cleveland Ohio
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Premium
Pearl Blue

Default

Don,t get me wrong...i wish i could afford an sti... I would DD all the time. But i have a long drive to work, so gas mileage will be my cryptonite. also here in Cleveland Ohio, winter is brutal in the roads...meaning pot holes all over the place. Even in my wrx... when my wife and i go out, she always make me drive her forester instead.

maybe the 2021 sti will be more gas savings friendly.
willthetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:31 AM   #32
oichan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A garage in the Midwest
Vehicle:
19 WRX / 16 STI
17 Golf-R / 16 FiST

Default

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the WRX. People that own both would agree with me, these are 2 completely different cars under the skin with its own benefits and character.
oichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:29 PM   #33
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

^Agreed.

I love my '19 STI, but I do miss the FA powerband and fuel economy. It probably helped that I was tuned on flex fuel. I managed better mpg with the WRX on E50 than I do with the STI on 91

The Series.White WRX is a great package IMO.. with the Recaros, Brembos, and Bilsteins. It even comes with the LED steering responsive headlights unlike the Performance Package. Some shifter mods & a flex fuel tune and it'll be near perfect.

Now it just needs the STI drivetrain.. hopefully this is a prelude to the next gen STI.
WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:37 PM   #34
CoronaWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 431618
Join Date: Oct 2015
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tucson, AZ
Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Default

I came from a 2016 WRX to a 2019 STI and feel the 19 STI is much more refined. It's quieter, less rattles, and has a more solid feel. The suspension is weirdly not as harsh
.
CoronaWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:40 PM   #35
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronaWRX View Post
The suspension is weirdly not as harsh
I noticed the same going from a '16 WRX to '19 STI. It was a pleasant surprise.
WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:53 PM   #36
F1EA
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 448622
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Vancouver, BC
Vehicle:
2019 STI SportTech
CWP

Default

Yes, STI has great suspension. Stiffer than WRX but it still feels more refined and smooth. Difficult to explain, but it just does. (Also i went from 16 wrx to 19 sti was pleasant surprise, even to my wife who loved the ride until I did the full turboback - she hates it now).

I do not miss the FA power band at all. I hated the top end, and although the FA was quicker off a traffic light, the STI is incredibly smoother and way more fun on the mid and top end.

The fuel consumption is horrendous though. Sometimes i wonder if there's something wrong because... seriously it can't be... but it is. Hahah
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:59 PM   #37
CoronaWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 431618
Join Date: Oct 2015
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tucson, AZ
Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Default

I'd also like to note that my 2019 STI is the first car I've owned that I don't want to mod. I'm happy with it how it came out of the box. The steering is fantastic, The power delivery is good, it handles great, the shifter and trans are nice, the brakes are great, and it looks good enough for me.

Since I don't track and race my car it just works for me, I don't want more horsepower, I like being able to "get on it" and not worry about going to jail, this makes it a fun car to drive to me. I don't want to lower or do coil-overs as It handles great and I like a bit of clearance. The only thing that I sometime wish for is that the exhaust was a Tad bit louder, but it's not worth it to me to go with a louder exhaust system, as I know I'd be annoyed with it 95% of the time (I'm getting old **44years). I feel like any mod I do will actually make the car worse for me. The 2019 STI is a great analog and spirited DD, what I consider great Drivers Car at this price point. I also like that since I took my wing off, no one pays much attention to it, which is something I appreciate.
CoronaWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:06 PM   #38
CoronaWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 431618
Join Date: Oct 2015
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tucson, AZ
Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1EA View Post
I do not miss the FA power band at all. I hated the top end, and although the FA was quicker off a traffic light, the STI is incredibly smoother and way more fun on the mid and top end.

The fuel consumption is horrendous though. Sometimes i wonder if there's something wrong because... seriously it can't be... but it is. Hahah
I agree about the FA power band. My WRX felt quicker around town, but it ran out of steam fast and the power delivery was never consistent. Sometimes I was like "Wow" and ten mins later, I'm like "WTF, where did the power go?" I enjoy the STI powerband much better. Overall though, the WRX was still a fun car.

I've never manually calculated my MPGs in either car, my STI's computer says 23.4 MPG for the car's average, not the current or Tank average.

Last edited by CoronaWRX; 12-31-2019 at 04:22 PM. Reason: for clarity
CoronaWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:37 PM   #39
F1EA
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 448622
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Vancouver, BC
Vehicle:
2019 STI SportTech
CWP

Default

Haha i'm 42 and annoyed with the turboback as well. Just the catback was fine and a really nice deep sound; but the downpipe made it cross the line.

I think the Invidia is more manageable and not as loud. I have Cobb TB and it is loud. But with the TB the car takes off as fun as it was on the WRX, while still being linear and a blast up top. Unfortunately, it is noisy so everyone will think you're racing them....... and you'll be risking impoundment/jail time pretty much on a daily basis.

I had 19mpg avg on the WRX and getting 16mpg on the STI. The number appears not too different, but the difference is huge in real life....

Last edited by F1EA; 12-31-2019 at 03:49 PM.
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:51 PM   #40
vlad11591
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 295970
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Hamilton, NJ
Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Default

The WRX sounds like a weed whacker compared to the STI. I have an ETS catback on my 19 STI and it sounds great.

It does feel a lot more refined than the WRX in terms of suspension/steering, and way more connected. It's really such a fun car to drive, even more so with a MAP stg 1 tune.
vlad11591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:09 PM   #41
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1EA View Post
I do not miss the FA power band at all. I hated the top end, and although the FA was quicker off a traffic light, the STI is incredibly smoother and way more fun on the mid and top end.

The fuel consumption is horrendous though. Sometimes i wonder if there's something wrong because... seriously it can't be... but it is. Hahah
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronaWRX View Post
I agree about the FA power band. My WRX felt quicker around town, but it ran out of steam fast and the power delivery was never consistent. Sometimes I was like "Wow" and ten mins later, I'm like "WTF, where did the power go?" I enjoy the STI powerband much better. Overall though, the WRX was still a fun car.

I've never calculated my MPGs in either car, my STI say 23.4 MPG for the car's average, not the current or Tank average.
The stock tune was horrendous, especially on ACN91. You guys just needed to add flex fuel and a good tune Below is the vdyno for my mostly stock '16 WRX with just a GS TMIC, EBCS, & E50 flex fuel tune by Ron. Still had the stock intake and stock exhaust. Nice and quiet.



I'm averaging ~22 mpg (calculated) in my STI with ~80% highway driving. I averaged 23-24 mpg in my WRX depending on my ethanol blend (~E45-E55).. and it was cheaper to fill up since E85 is nearly $1/gallon cheaper here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronaWRX View Post
I'd also like to note that my 2019 STI is the first car I've owned that I don't want to mod. I'm happy with it how it came out of the box. The steering is fantastic, The power delivery is good, it handles great, the shifter and trans are nice, the brakes are great, and it looks good enough for me.

Since I don't track and race my car it just works for me, I don't want more horsepower, I like being able to "get on it" and not worry about going to jail, this makes it a fun car to drive to me. I don't want to lower or do coil-overs as It handles great and I like a bit of clearance. The only thing that I sometime wish for is that the exhaust was a Tad bit louder, but it's not worth it to me to go with a louder exhaust system, as I know I'd be annoyed with it 95% of the time (I'm getting old **44years). I feel like any mod I do will actually make the car worse for me. The 2019 STI is a great analog and spirited DD, what I consider great Drivers Car at this price point. I also like that since I took my wing off, no one pays much attention to it, which is something I appreciate.
I 100% agree with this. I get the bug to modify it sometimes, but I also enjoy the car as-is with the warranty

For me, it would just be an ELH, downpipe & EBCS to keep things on the quiet, fairly "reliable" side while improving the low to mid-range and maybe even the fuel economy. I don't care about peak numbers as the car is plenty fast for my daily commute.

Last edited by WRXnick16; 12-31-2019 at 07:38 PM.
WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:32 PM   #42
CoronaWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 431618
Join Date: Oct 2015
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tucson, AZ
Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXnick16 View Post
The stock tune was horrendous, especially on 91 ACN. You guys just needed to add flex fuel and a good tune Below is the vdyno for my mostly stock '16 WRX with just a GS TMIC, EBCS, & E50 flex fuel tune by Ron. Still had the stock intake and stock exhaust. Nice and quiet.



I'm averaging ~22 mpg (calculated) in my STI with ~80% highway driving. I averaged 23-24 mpg in my WRX depending on my ethanol blend (~E45-E55).. and it was cheaper to fill up since E85 is nearly $1/gallon cheaper here.


I 100% agree with this. I get the bug to modify it sometimes, but I also enjoy the car as-is with the warranty

For me, it would just be an ELH, downpipe & EBCS to keep things on the quiet, fairly "reliable" side while improving the low to mid-range and maybe even the fuel economy. I don't care about peak numbers as the car is plenty fast for my daily commute.
Those are some great gains on the WRX! If I still had the WRX that seems the way to go. Some minor mods gives you a great return! Your STI's MPG's are not too far off, so I don't think it was not a huge sacrifice moving away from the WRX.

I see your in Sactown, I moved away a year before I got my WRX, back than I was driving a legacy and I remember encountering some awesome twisty road all over that region...if only I had my STI back than...
CoronaWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:42 PM   #43
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronaWRX View Post
Those are some great gains on the WRX! If I still had the WRX that seems the way to go. Some minor mods gives you a great return! Your STI's MPG's are not too far off, so I don't think it was not a huge sacrifice moving away from the WRX.

I see your in Sactown, I moved away a year before I got my WRX, back than I was driving a legacy and I remember encountering some awesome twisty road all over that region...if only I had my STI back than...
There are some great back roads here!

I was able to average ~30 mpg in the WRX on my 91 tune.. but I never ran straight 91 because I was addicted to the improved powerband on E50

I spend maybe ~$20 more per month filling up the STI.. well worth it for the improved steering, shifting, handling, braking, gearing, etc. All of the mechanical, tactile things that make the daily drive more exciting.
WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:06 PM   #44
CoronaWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 431618
Join Date: Oct 2015
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tucson, AZ
Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1EA View Post
Haha i'm 42 and annoyed with the turboback as well. Just the catback was fine and a really nice deep sound; but the downpipe made it cross the line.

I think the Invidia is more manageable and not as loud. I have Cobb TB and it is loud. But with the TB the car takes off as fun as it was on the WRX, while still being linear and a blast up top. Unfortunately, it is noisy so everyone will think you're racing them....... and you'll be risking impoundment/jail time pretty much on a daily basis.

I had 19mpg avg on the WRX and getting 16mpg on the STI. The number appears not too different, but the difference is huge in real life....
I love the EJ rumble and sound. When driving "spirited" I like to hear the exhaust, the stock 19 STI exhaust does not sound great. However, on my daily, I just can't do a loud exhaust, it actually wears my brain down. Maybe, just a catback will do the trick, like you mentioned.
CoronaWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:42 PM   #45
F1EA
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 448622
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Vancouver, BC
Vehicle:
2019 STI SportTech
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronaWRX View Post
I love the EJ rumble and sound. When driving "spirited" I like to hear the exhaust, the stock 19 STI exhaust does not sound great. However, on my daily, I just can't do a loud exhaust, it actually wears my brain down. Maybe, just a catback will do the trick, like you mentioned.
Yep, catback did exactly that. A little bit louder than stock (which is VERY quiet), but great deep tone. I think most of the relatively quiet catbacks will be fine. Cobb, Invidia, Grimmspeed etc. Get one with a resonated midpipe and decent sized mufflers. The ETS sounds great too, loved the tone, but now I don't remember if what I heard was muffler delete axleback or ETS catback with mufflers...

I like Cobb as a catback, but as turboback it is way too loud at ~3000rpm, and then quiet up top. I can live with it, but don't like it. Had the Cobb catback on the WRX and it was very decent, a bit too quiet. A lot quieter than on the STI (even at just catback), but just catback on STI is great.
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:56 PM   #46
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1EA View Post
Yep, catback did exactly that. A little bit louder than stock (which is VERY quiet), but great deep tone. I think most of the relatively quiet catbacks will be fine. Cobb, Invidia, Grimmspeed etc. Get one with a resonated midpipe and decent sized mufflers. The ETS sounds great too, loved the tone, but now I don't remember if what I heard was muffler delete axleback or ETS catback with mufflers...

I like Cobb as a catback, but as turboback it is way too loud at ~3000rpm, and then quiet up top. I can live with it, but don't like it. Had the Cobb catback on the WRX and it was very decent, a bit too quiet. A lot quieter than on the STI (even at just catback), but just catback on STI is great.
The HKS Legamax and Milltek are two quieter, low drone options.

Milltek is a UK based company and their exhaust is designed to meet Europe's strict noise restrictions.

Here's an example of Milltek's turboback exhaust system on an STI.. talk about quiet. Most reviews say that it's a touch louder than the stock exhaust, but without the boominess. I've seen 0 complaints of drone.

WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:32 PM   #47
F1EA
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 448622
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Vancouver, BC
Vehicle:
2019 STI SportTech
CWP

Default

Wow, yeah that exhaust sounds great. That's the sound I would like as a turbo back. It's ok if screams at the top...

Also, ethanol on the WRX is great. I only have one e85 station nearby so that makes it a no. I can run the OTS 91 tune because there's 91 e10 and 94+ which I can use with Octane Booster and get no knock at all. Otherwise I'd have to use the ACN91 tune that's very conservative. Ethanol makes a BIG difference...
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:45 PM   #48
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1EA View Post
Also, ethanol on the WRX is great. I only have one e85 station nearby so that makes it a no. I can run the OTS 91 tune because there's 91 e10 and 94+ which I can use with Octane Booster and get no knock at all. Otherwise I'd have to use the ACN91 tune that's very conservative. Ethanol makes a BIG difference...
I'm almost embarrassed to post it.. but E50 vs ACN91 on the WRX. Easy 80+ whp gain on ethanol and a lot more mid-range.

WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:03 PM   #49
sayunkl
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 302548
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Keystone State
Vehicle:
2019 Golf R
2018 High Country

Default

Congrats.

Post pictures.
sayunkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:18 PM   #50
F1EA
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 448622
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Vancouver, BC
Vehicle:
2019 STI SportTech
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXnick16 View Post
I'm almost embarrassed to post it.. but E50 vs ACN91 on the WRX. Easy 80+ whp gain on ethanol and a lot more mid-range.

Geez that's crazy. I can't even imagine what a FA24 would put out....
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.