Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday January 22, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-10-2017, 01:10 AM   #1
illerikill
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 346328
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
SILVER

Default 02 wrx engine knock help!

So today was the first day of snow up here in CT, I drive my wrx everyday to and from work about 4 miles, never beat on the car. Today I took it out and started doing crazy snow drifts and was Reving it pretty hard in first and second gear, so I did that for about 5-10 min and then went home and hung out for about 2-3 hours went back out to drive some more with some friends and I know Iím supposed to warm a car up before driving it kind of hard so I let the car warm up drove it around for a couple miles then went to an empty lot do drift some more, I started doing one of those wide donuts and did a couple clutch kicks (in need of a new clutch too btw i know Iím dumb) so I kept doing donuts then stopped let the car idle and It started dying, like if I didnít keep pressing the gas it would turn off, eventually it did and I pop started it, I tried to let it idle but when I would rev it high like 2-4 rpms you could hear knocking, I quickly started to try and drive home and my friend was behind me and 1 mile into it my car died and now it wonít turn on. Car was pretty low with oil when checked but the battery looks good, and belts are all intact. Donít know what it is so if I could get some insight Iíd appreciate it. Been looking all over the internet and I see things from tensioner to piston slap or rodknock, the cars already been towed to my local mechanic but Iím just up right now thinking about what it could be anyways thanks to anyone who can help
illerikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2017, 02:09 PM   #2
Vancouver98STi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 459287
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
1998 JDM Impreza STi
White GF8 wagon

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by illerikill View Post

Today I took it out and started doing crazy snow drifts

I tried to let it idle but when I would rev it high like 2-4 rpms you could hear knocking

Car was pretty low with oil
From what I understand, this is not an uncommon issue with these engines. High g-forces during turns can cause the oil in the pan to slosh over to one side... and oil starvation occurs when the end of the oil pickup is no longer immersed. A low oil level only makes the situation worse. There are plenty of examples posted in Subie forums and on YouTube about this.

I suspect you've unfortunately learned an expensive lesson.

If you end up rebuilding the engine, do yourself a favor and replace the original oil pan with Subaru #11109AA151 along with the appropriate aftermarket oil pickup. (I used the Moroso one.) With the newer design oil pan, oil starvation issues due to high lateral forces are greatly reduced.

Last edited by Vancouver98STi; 12-12-2017 at 03:02 PM. Reason: More info
Vancouver98STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver98STi View Post
From what I understand, this is not an uncommon issue with these engines. High g-forces during turns can cause the oil in the pan to slosh over to one side... and oil starvation occurs when the end of the oil pickup is no longer immersed. A low oil level only makes the situation worse. There are plenty of examples posted in Subie forums and on YouTube about this.

I suspect you've unfortunately learned an expensive lesson.

If you end up rebuilding the engine, do yourself a favor and replace the original oil pan with Subaru #11109AA151 along with the appropriate aftermarket oil pickup. (I used the Moroso one.) With the newer design oil pan, oil starvation issues due to high lateral forces are greatly reduced.
Agreed. Before doing long trips, AutoX, track days, etc., check and top off fluids.
You started low on oil, then sloshed the oil around, quite possibly seized a bearing which is why it won't crank now.

Assuming when you say, "won't turn on" you mean it won't crank.

Yes, expensive lesson.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:40 PM   #4
pillawrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 435397
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
silver

With oil consumption being an issue with our cars its important to often check your oil level to add if needed. So you had a low oil level and you revved the car up probably to the 6000rpm range often to keep sliding. If your engine also has a lot of miles on it than you can see why it would spin a rod bearing at this point. when rod bearings spin the friction causes the rod and crank to get so hot they stick together and it wont stay running without forcing it via giving it gas. after awhile they'll cool off and you can start it again. This has happened to me before so I'm speaking from experience.
pillawrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 03:15 PM   #5
v8der
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 468374

Probably would have pulled the plug on the pan before u towed it in. Sure thereís plenty of debris in the oil.
v8der is offline   Reply With Quote