Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-07-2019, 12:12 AM   #3551
Patrick Olsen
Scooby Guru

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kito818 View Post
I feel it's important to note, especially to all the people who have NOT done this swap, and I'm being patient and polite by not quoting them, the 4EAT driveshaft/propshaft DOES NOT FIT for the EZ30R W/6spd Impreza swap. I'm only out 90$ for the driveshaft, but it's still annoying.
It should. The rear face of the engine sits in the same spot whether it's a H4 or an H6, thus a 6MT bolted up to an EZ will sit in the same position as a 6MT bolted up to an EJ.

I pulled out my EJ25D and put in the EZ30D without ever moving the 6MT (which has a 4EAT driveshaft behind it).

What specifically is not working on yours?

Quote:
Might be pulling the 6spd out anyway, seems like once I bolted the brace to the frame rear of the shifter that it is now stuck in one position...
What brace to what frame? What is stuck in one position?
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2019, 12:27 AM   #3552
Kito818
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 480045
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2009 3.0L Impreza
Dark grey/light black?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
It should. The rear face of the engine sits in the same spot whether it's a H4 or an H6, thus a 6MT bolted up to an EZ will sit in the same position as a 6MT bolted up to an EJ.

I pulled out my EJ25D and put in the EZ30D without ever moving the 6MT (which has a 4EAT driveshaft behind it).

What specifically is not working on yours?
From the carrier barring to the differential is too short, but about two inches(didnt measure), but the transmission the bolt hole locations for the carrier barring is good. Curiosity in this moment has me wondering if the wheelbase is different.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/znP1avgTRNrHBPV66

Quote:
The shifter is attached to two rods, one rod(lower) is bolted to a fixed mount on the transmission and to the chassis rear of the opening in the tunnel that the shifter sticks up through.

Last edited by Kito818; 02-07-2019 at 01:20 AM.
Kito818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:52 AM   #3553
Kito818
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 3.0L Impreza
Dark grey/light black?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5FyqaL5mZh1oDWQVA 98 RS
https://photos.app.goo.gl/c5xS4JhjBQdw1FBg8 03 STI
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iz8fq8XvXAxS9Lgk7 09 WRX

Guess I should have looked at this first. I would be really surprised to find out the distance between the end of the transmission and the differential had not changed even though the length of the cars has stretched 8 inches. Guess I'm looking for an 08-14 6MT driveshaft.

Last edited by Kito818; 02-07-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:58 AM   #3554
Kito818
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 3.0L Impreza
Dark grey/light black?

Curiosity, again, because I like to think of stupid things, what would happen if I made a block to makeup the distance between the differential and the driveshat, then got longer bolts that ran through the driveshaft holes, the block, and then a nut after the differential holes? Would the longer bolts flex too much, or snap from torque? Or would it hold together? for a week or so while a driveshaft was shipped? I'm not running any boost, and I'll be breaking in new head gaskets and clutch so its not like I'm going to get crazy leaving the line or anything.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:06 PM   #3555
Kito818
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 3.0L Impreza
Dark grey/light black?

Quote:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/CVXzsvRHsvvEUMox8

that would be the brace/mount I was referencing, HOWEVER, while I noticed the issue after bolting that to the chassis, it was unrelated.

This is the CORRECT orientation of the shifter, https://photos.app.goo.gl/ez27VuE5mePqonyj7

This is the INCORRECT orientation of the shifter, https://photos.app.goo.gl/QMacEArz5oe6PWVN7

I couldnt even reassemble it the way it was before, thats why the bolt was partially out, I tried to restage it for the picture. Needless to say fixed the shifting issue, found a driveshaft shop in town(ish), I'm sure they're going to kill me on price, but I'll hopefully have one sometime tomorrow, as well as the exhaust, which I have some interesting hopes and dreams about. Anyway, I'm going to put the tranny mounts back on and get the last few wires done, a fuel line, and bleed the clutch so I can start the car in a few hours.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:18 PM   #3556
Patrick Olsen
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Quote:
Curiosity in this moment has me wondering if the wheelbase is different.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/znP1avgTRNrHBPV66
If the driveshaft is coming up short then that's the logical explanation. I missed it before - what vehicle did you source the 4EAT driveshaft from?

I don't see wheelbase listed in any of those screenshots. Try here - http://www.cars101.com/subaru_archives.html. Very useful website.

'98 2.5RS - 99.2"
'03 (?) STi - 99.4" (for a WRX, since we didn't have an STI here in '03). In 2004, the STI's wheelbase was 100" vs the WRX's 99.4", but the difference was all in the STI's caster-adding front control arms, which push the front wheels forward.
'09 Impreza - 103.1"

Quote:
Guess I'm looking for an 08-14 6MT driveshaft.
Or a vastly more common 4EAT driveshaft from an Impreza that is the same chassis/generation. I guess I should have explicitly stated that a couple of months ago when I said to get a 4EAT driveshaft from an Impreza - the Impreza has changed over time, so you need to have one from your chassis.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:04 PM   #3557
Kito818
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 3.0L Impreza
Dark grey/light black?

Quote:
If the driveshaft is coming up short then that's the logical explanation. I missed it before - what vehicle did you source the 4EAT driveshaft from?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZE9sr1JX7GxSDe257 Drive shaft came from a 2010, vin was used to match for a 4eat, the letter befor the serial number is H, I used this vin decoder to match it as a 4EAT, but I just ran across information that the 4Eat ended in 08, so new information all the way around I guess.

I don't see wheelbase listed in any of those screenshots. Try here - http://www.cars101.com/subaru_archives.html. Very useful website.

'98 2.5RS - 99.2"
'03 (?) STi - 99.4" (for a WRX, since we didn't have an STI here in '03). In 2004, the STI's wheelbase was 100" vs the WRX's 99.4", but the difference was all in the STI's caster-adding front control arms, which push the front wheels forward.
'09 Impreza - 103.1"

I like your information better, the photos had the vehicle length and the wheelbase ratio listed, sorry I didnt want to just post the numbers, but I could have done both

Or a vastly more common 4EAT driveshaft from an Impreza that is the same chassis/generation. I guess I should have explicitly stated that a couple of months ago when I said to get a 4EAT driveshaft from an Impreza - the Impreza has changed over time, so you need to have one from your chassis.
I'm going to visit a driveshaft shop tomorrow and see what they can help me out with, the 4EAT driveshafts are way cheaper, but at this point I dont even know if there is another option, do I risk trying to find an 08 4EAT drive shaft, order a 6spd shaft, or pay a driveshaft shop to make the two shafts I have into one that will work, which should be very possible, as both shafts hae oposite segments to from the carrier berring that work, the 5MT from the carrier berring to the diff, and the 4EAT from the tranny to the carrier berring. If the driveshaft shop can make those two shafts into one perfect shaft for less than the cost of a generation specific 6spd drive shaft, thats the option I'll take.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:04 AM   #3558
traction issuez
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 86559
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2005 RS Wagon

Does anyone make A/C Compressor deletes for the EZ30? Also, with 6MT, do I use clutch/flywheel setup from 6MT/STi?

Thanks
traction issuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:57 AM   #3559
Kito818
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 3.0L Impreza
Dark grey/light black?

Quote:
Originally Posted by traction issuez View Post
Does anyone make A/C Compressor deletes for the EZ30? Also, with 6MT, do I use clutch/flywheel setup from 6MT/STi?

Thanks
A/C delete I dont know about, however YES STI CLUTCH/FLYWHEEL!!! Do not try to buy a "Legacy clutch" you'll get a 5MT one, same with "Subaru 3.0 clutch", but you're looking for the STI clutch kit with a flywheel that has 9 mountains around the clutch surface, if its a flat flywheel its the 5MT clutch kit. If you don't need the flywheel you can get a basic clutch kit, pull-out barring, pilot barring, clutch, and preasure plate for about 85$, I THINK the same kit with a flywheel is 150$ but not sure.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:32 AM   #3560
Kito818
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 3.0L Impreza
Dark grey/light black?

damn I really wish this one had been available when I bought mine, complete wire harness and ECU. I could have got the plug-n-play harness for the Haltech, sad day.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:31 AM   #3561
traction issuez
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 RS Wagon

Quote:
A/C delete I dont know about, however YES STI CLUTCH/FLYWHEEL!!! Do not try to buy a "Legacy clutch" you'll get a 5MT one, same with "Subaru 3.0 clutch", but you're looking for the STI clutch kit with a flywheel that has 9 mountains around the clutch surface, if its a flat flywheel its the 5MT clutch kit. If you don't need the flywheel you can get a basic clutch kit, pull-out barring, pilot barring, clutch, and preasure plate for about 85$, I THINK the same kit with a flywheel is 150$ but not sure.
Thanks Kito818. I'm looking at a JDM EZ30 engine and it appears to come without the flywheel. I have a lightweight flywheel from my 05 STi I plan to use.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:46 AM   #3562
Kito818
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 3.0L Impreza
Dark grey/light black?

Quote:
Thanks Kito818. I'm looking at a JDM EZ30 engine and it appears to come without the flywheel. I have a lightweight flywheel from my 05 STi I plan to use.
Gotcha, yes it SHOULD bolt right up.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #3563
Patrick Olsen
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Quote:
carrier barring to the differential
the carrier barring is good
Quote:
the carrier berring that work
carrier berring to the diff
the carrier berring.
*bearing

Quote:
Drive shaft came from a 2010, vin was used to match for a 4eat, the letter befor the serial number is H, I used this vin decoder to match it as a 4EAT, but I just ran across information that the 4Eat ended in 08, so new information all the way around I guess.
Hmmmm... Not sure what to tell you. Did you pull the part yourself? If not, maybe what you got wasn't what it was supposed to be (like the junkyard that supplied the part thought the 5MT part was equivalent, so what they gave you didn't come from the car they said it did)?

That cars101 site shows the 4EAT continuing until the CVT was used across the board in 2014, so the '10 4EAT driveshaft should be correct. Thats a head-scratcher!

Quote:
... pay a driveshaft shop to make the two shafts I have into one that will work, which should be very possible ... If the driveshaft shop can make those two shafts into one perfect shaft for less than the cost of a generation specific 6spd drive shaft, thats the option I'll take.
That would be great if they can do that.

Quote:
Does anyone make A/C Compressor deletes for the EZ30?
I've never seen an actual A/C delete. Many (most?) EZ30 swaps are running without A/C, so I'm guessing it can be done without a delete. I haven't paid much attention to how folks are routing the belts, but I'm guessing it's like this:

The C/B/A part of the belt routing is normal, then straight across from A to F, down past E and back to C. I'm not sure you really need to leave the idler pulley (E) in there, but it looks like keeping the idler gives a little bit better belt wrap around the alternator pulley.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #3564
Kito818
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 3.0L Impreza
Dark grey/light black?

Quote:
*bearing

Hmmmm... Not sure what to tell you. Did you pull the part yourself? If not, maybe what you got wasn't what it was supposed to be (like the junkyard that supplied the part thought the 5MT part was equivalent, so what they gave you didn't come from the car they said it did)?

That cars101 site shows the 4EAT continuing until the CVT was used across the board in 2014, so the '10 4EAT driveshaft should be correct. Thats a head-scratcher!

That would be great if they can do that.
Sorry about the misspelling, and I wasnt even consistent about it lol. The drive shaft shop was not able to help, I walked in and basically got the toy car project treatment, which makes me laugh more than anything, but the welds that need to be done, with the CV in the middle I was quoted about 550$, so that's out.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:32 PM   #3565
Patrick Olsen
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Quote:
I've never seen an actual A/C delete. Many (most?) EZ30 swaps are running without A/C, so I'm guessing it can be done without a delete. I haven't paid much attention to how folks are routing the belts, but I'm guessing it's like this:
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/pic...pictureid=2636
The C/B/A part of the belt routing is normal, then straight across from A to F, down past E and back to C. I'm not sure you really need to leave the idler pulley (E) in there, but it looks like keeping the idler gives a little bit better belt wrap around the alternator pulley.
I posted up on the Six Swapped Subarus FB group and got confirmation that the belt routing I posted works. You do want to leave idler (E) installed, or you have to cut off the mounting boss for that idler (because without the idler pulley there, the re-routed belt hits the idler mounting boss). Recommended belt length is 1035mm. Edit: Looks like if you delete the idler (and cut the bracket), belt length is 1010mm.

Last edited by Patrick Olsen; 02-08-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #3566
Kito818
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 3.0L Impreza
Dark grey/light black?

Does anyone know what the length of the diferential is from the bolt holes to the nose? I dont know, so I'm asking is there a difference in the length of the 5MT and 6MT differential?
Old 02-09-2019, 01:10 AM   #3567
traction issuez
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 RS Wagon

Quote:
I posted up on the Six Swapped Subarus FB group and got confirmation that the belt routing I posted works. You do want to leave idler (E) installed, or you have to cut off the mounting boss for that idler (because without the idler pulley there, the re-routed belt hits the idler mounting boss). Recommended belt length is 1035mm. Edit: Looks like if you delete the idler (and cut the bracket), belt length is 1010mm.
nice... thanks guys. I made this for future reference for those like to see "real images"

Old 02-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #3568
Patrick Olsen
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Quote:
Does anyone know what the length of the differential is from the bolt holes to the nose? I dont know, so I'm asking is there a difference in the length of the 5MT and 6MT differential?
I thought the R180 was longer, but googling for a comparison picture, looks like they're the same - the R180 is just beefier.

R180 on the left, R160 on the right
Old 02-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #3569
Kito818
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 3.0L Impreza
Dark grey/light black?

Quote:
I thought the R180 was longer, but googling for a comparison picture, looks like they're the same - the R180 is just beefier.

R180 on the left, R160 on the right
damn, I was wondering if maybe there was a difference and thats why the driveshaft didn't reach, but oh well.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:32 AM   #3570
vicious_fishes
Scooby Guru

Member#: 158864
Vehicle:
2003 SOHC destroker

the driveshafts are to suit the gearbox, not the diff. you just change the yoke.

i ran the a/c delete as pictured.
vicious_fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:25 PM   #3571
Kito818
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 3.0L Impreza
Dark grey/light black?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1AqbFeQ1Qh5UJk7v8

It is not all doom and gloom in the 08+ world, first gen EZ30D radiators WITH FANS fit. Only downside(not really?) is I had to drill new holes for the mounting brackets(which came from my 09 Impreza. I dont know if the 08+ has more room in the engine bay, or if this radiator and fan setup would fit earlier generations, but I thought I would try and contribute some more.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:27 PM   #3572
guitarsurgeon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 290509
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza

I used a 2008 radiator with mine, I made a cross pipe to adapt it.
guitarsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:29 PM   #3573
Kito818
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 3.0L Impreza
Dark grey/light black?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsurgeon View Post
I used a 2008 radiator with mine, I made a cross pipe to adapt it.
see I thought about that, but I got the radiator with fans and hoses for what I would have spent on radiator fans. Question for you though, which engine management did you use?
Old 02-13-2019, 07:30 PM   #3574
guitarsurgeon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 290509
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza

It's an ez30r on an arm infinity
guitarsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:30 PM   #3575
guitarsurgeon
Scooby Newbie