Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday December 7, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-14-2021, 09:25 AM   #51
ntg44
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 510765
Vehicle:
2020 WRX STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
For anyone considering any of the WRX or STi options, I highly recommend going in and test driving what you're considering. I've been thinking of getting a WRX base or premium. I went with my son for his service on his 20 STi base. While that was being done, I tested a WRX premium. Much to my surprise, although the car drove fine for me and the seats were comfortable enough, the interior is worlds behind his 20 STi. Enough that I wouldn't even consider the WRX now. Everyone has their own "must have" things. For me, living in an interior that's not up to par doesn't work.
Interesting. What year was it? I know the refreshed models have a little different interior trim, but aside from the Recaro seats and door upholstery (and STI center console light ), I wasn't aware they were any different.
ntg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2021, 10:09 AM   #52
Bianchifan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 524851

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Interesting. What year was it? I know the refreshed models have a little different interior trim, but aside from the Recaro seats and door upholstery (and STI center console light ), I wasn't aware they were any different.

Must be the greater use of Alcantara (IE - fake suede). LOL
Bianchifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:17 AM   #53
ntg44
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2020 WRX STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianchifan View Post
Must be the greater use of Alcantara (IE - fake suede). LOL
I know there are complaints about the interior, but I'm coming from a 2017 BMW M3 and although BMW's interiors aren't exactly state of the art, I'm really quite content in my STI Recaro package. The leather/alcantara combo with red stitching is plenty fine for me. I realize if you look at competing cars for 40k it's a different story but I guess I've never really had an issue with a car's interior after around 2010. I have a low bar I guess but to me it still looks better than any luxury car from 10 years ago. Maybe that's just my taste though. I prefer ergonomics over technology, and I hate leather.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:09 PM   #54
Bianchifan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 524851

Quote:
.... and I hate leather.

I'm with you! I want cloth seats.... And no sunroof. Fortunately for me those two usually go together.
Bianchifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:26 PM   #55
ntg44
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2020 WRX STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianchifan View Post
I'm with you! I want cloth seats.... And no sunroof. Fortunately for me those two usually go together.
Same here. My stupid long torso requires all the headroom I can get. Haven't had a sunroof in 8 years and don't miss it.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:19 AM   #56
joecho530
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 525313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldron91 View Post
I never received a VON from my salesman but he did update me with an Interim date of August 4th but haven't received any updates since. Going to email tomorrow and find out if there have been any updates.
That is quite different from what I got. Although this is only my second time for factory orders, for both times, I received an email from Subaru of America the day after the order with a Vehicle Order Number, stating the order has been received.

For the ETA, I had last week of August, then now I am told it shows the month of August. I am glad you have a set date but I would also check with the dealership to get the actual order number and check with Subaru of America on the status for that order number.

I am sure things are in order for you but as I have anxiously searched for anyone who ordered a 2021 model year, I have been seeing a lot of horror stories, where the dealer failed to actually put in the order, or the dealer selling the specially ordered car to a different customer who were willing to pay a higher price, etc.

Good luck to both of us and many others waiting for our cars to ship!
joecho530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:40 AM   #57
chrisd87
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 344446
Vehicle:
2012 00 GC8, 02 S202

I placed my order on May 3rd and took possession 2 days ago (July 13th). Initially they said it would be end of July or beginning of August. My order was specific and they had nothing in stock of that trim or color coming in this year (I guess they built it).
chrisd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:41 PM   #58
joecho530
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd87 View Post
I placed my order on May 3rd and took possession 2 days ago (July 13th). Initially they said it would be end of July or beginning of August. My order was specific and they had nothing in stock of that trim or color coming in this year (I guess they built it).
That is very helpful and hopeful info! I hope you are enjoying every bit of it. Some say that the projected dates are overshot by two weeks to be on the safe side. I cannot wait for mine.
Old 07-15-2021, 03:54 PM   #59
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2021 Building
It Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
If you have not driven back to back an STi with Recaros and one with standard seats, do so before plunking down an extra $2200. My son and I did exactly that, then he ordered the base with the standard seats. You might think they're worth the extra money. Just be informed, please.
Quote:
2020 STi with zero options.
2021 WRX Premium.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:34 AM   #60
Waldron91
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 524878

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecho530 View Post
That is quite different from what I got. Although this is only my second time for factory orders, for both times, I received an email from Subaru of America the day after the order with a Vehicle Order Number, stating the order has been received.

For the ETA, I had last week of August, then now I am told it shows the month of August. I am glad you have a set date but I would also check with the dealership to get the actual order number and check with Subaru of America on the status for that order number.

I am sure things are in order for you but as I have anxiously searched for anyone who ordered a 2021 model year, I have been seeing a lot of horror stories, where the dealer failed to actually put in the order, or the dealer selling the specially ordered car to a different customer who were willing to pay a higher price, etc.

Good luck to both of us and many others waiting for our cars to ship!
Spoke to my salesman this morning. He said VONs are issued at request because the tracking is fairly irrelevant. He supplied me with a VIN number though and to my surprise my order is coming in earlier than expected. Now has an estimated delivery of July 27th!
Waldron91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:22 PM   #61
joecho530
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldron91 View Post
Spoke to my salesman this morning. He said VONs are issued at request because the tracking is fairly irrelevant. He supplied me with a VIN number though and to my surprise my order is coming in earlier than expected. Now has an estimated delivery of July 27th!
That is great to hear! I suppose the process could be different by states and by dealers. You are less than two weeks away, I am excited for you! I am probably weeks behind yours but seems not too far away now.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:42 PM   #62
drrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 325901
Vehicle:
1217 2 WRX Limiteds

Still waiting. Ordered in MarchÖ

Iím told by end of July.

This has been a killer
drrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 02:59 PM   #63
Skeeler
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 44577
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Sti
WR Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrx View Post
With a new engine on the platform, Iíd rather take my chances with something established.

I ordered a 2021 at least knowing the devil with an EJ engine. I am on week 2 of waiting for the right car coming to Port.
Why? I bought the 2004, knowing it was a first year model, and the OEM short block lasted till 333k, when rod knock set in. I'm only at 407k on the chassis, right now.
Skeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:09 PM   #64
drrx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1217 2 WRX Limiteds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeler View Post
Why? I bought the 2004, knowing it was a first year model, and the OEM short block lasted till 333k, when rod knock set in. I'm only at 407k on the chassis, right now.

And people say the EJ engine is made of glass...

I don't plan to modify it and will DD it. I'm 35 and not everywhere I go needs to be a race. I know how to care for an EJ as this is not my first. I take care of my cars maintenance very well. Your post proves a point, lots of miles are possible.

Reports are that the new only is only 350 HP, which is a step up but not by too much, again for a DD. I like the abundance of parts available for the EJ and this generation wrx. I am not in love with the new design and the stupid wheel arches.

MY19 and newer EJ257s include a different piston design and a different stock tune, which I think hope add to reliability. Based on here and other places online, no one is complaining about traditional issues with reliability in EJ engines.

That and I got a great offer on trade in.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:46 PM   #65
joecho530
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Still waiting. Ordered in MarchÖ

Iím told by end of July.

This has been a killer
Man, I cannot imagine what that is like. I know I have waited over two months the last time I factory ordered, but it was still within three months. I am hoping this time around, it would be within two.

I heard, from time to time, the car in order may get damaged in the process and results in delays, whether they start over or probably replace just those damaged parts, but there is not much transparency about these problems.

I hope you get some clarity on this ridiculous timeline and maybe additional discount for that matter. Hang in there!
Old 07-18-2021, 07:27 PM   #66
NighthawkSTI
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 495630

Quote:
And people say the EJ engine is made of glass...

I don't plan to modify it and will DD it. I'm 35 and not everywhere I go needs to be a race. I know how to care for an EJ as this is not my first. I take care of my cars maintenance very well. Your post proves a point, lots of miles are possible.

Reports are that the new only is only 350 HP, which is a step up but not by too much, again for a DD. I like the abundance of parts available for the EJ and this generation wrx. I am not in love with the new design and the stupid wheel arches.

MY19 and newer EJ257s include a different piston design and a different stock tune, which I think hope add to reliability. Based on here and other places online, no one is complaining about traditional issues with reliability in EJ engines.

That and I got a great offer on trade in.
Whatever the new engine is for 2022 the EJ will always have more potential because of the almost 2 decades of performance parts market development, these engines are being built to 1200+ horsepower with that development. The next gen engine will only be around for a few years before the STI and WRX are electrified, so Unless it comes with a dual clutch trans and is knocking on the door of 400 horsepower there really isnt a reason to get a new one with all the limitless potential of the EJ STI's that will be out there.

Be forewarned though...the EJ257 STI's will skyrocket in value when the WRX and STI are electrified 2025 ish', especially the GD's. I think GD's will double in value from what they are know when the next gens are electrified.
NighthawkSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:17 PM   #67
Cosimo12
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 523460

Hey guys quick question for the group, what color did you guys order? Iím about to put my order in on a 21 sti but keep going back and forth between wr blue/lapis blue/dark grey. I originally had my mind set on the wr blue but donít know if I could live with it long term. Iíve had other stií is wr blue when I was younger but now 38 Iím thinking of something more low key less in your face. I like the dark grey with yellow/green calipers from online pics but have never seen one in person. What do you guys think?
Cosimo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:27 PM   #68
ntg44
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2020 WRX STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo12 View Post
Hey guys quick question for the group, what color did you guys order? Iím about to put my order in on a 21 sti but keep going back and forth between wr blue/lapis blue/dark grey. I originally had my mind set on the wr blue but donít know if I could live with it long term. Iíve had other stií is wr blue when I was younger but now 38 Iím thinking of something more low key less in your face. I like the dark grey with yellow/green calipers from online pics but have never seen one in person. What do you guys think?
In my opinion, Lapis (Lapras? ) Blue is in another league compared to the other 2. I would have gotten one if I could find one. I wouldn't even consider WRB or dark grey but it's your money! Buy what YOU like best.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:33 PM   #69
Cosimo12
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
In my opinion, Lapis (Lapras? ) Blue is in another league compared to the other 2. I would have gotten one if I could find one. I wouldn't even consider WRB or dark grey but it's your money! Buy what YOU like best.

I like the lapis blue over the wr blue. I just wish I could see them in person. No dealers within an hour of me have those colors let alone an sti in stock
Old 07-21-2021, 10:59 PM   #70
drrx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1217 2 WRX Limiteds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo12 View Post
White!
Old 07-21-2021, 11:13 PM   #71
drrx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1217 2 WRX Limiteds

Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkSTI View Post
Whatever the new engine is for 2022 the EJ will always have more potential because of the almost 2 decades of performance parts market development, these engines are being built to 1200+ horsepower with that development. The next gen engine will only be around for a few years before the STI and WRX are electrified, so Unless it comes with a dual clutch trans and is knocking on the door of 400 horsepower there really isnt a reason to get a new one with all the limitless potential of the EJ STI's that will be out there.

Be forewarned though...the EJ257 STI's will skyrocket in value when the WRX and STI are electrified 2025 ish', especially the GD's. I think GD's will double in value from what they are know when the next gens are electrified.
I have a 2012 wrx that is fully modded. Next thing up for it is a built motor, turbo and probably a transmission swap. I get my tinker twitch out on that car.

Seeing value of unmolested wrxs and stis over the past several years tells me a 2021 non-modded, will be very appealing to the purists. My intent is to keep it that way. Seeing how 2021 represents the last-ish of this generation and seeing small production numbers, who knows it might be worth something more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecho530 View Post
Man, I cannot imagine what that is like. I know I have waited over two months the last time I factory ordered, but it was still within three months. I am hoping this time around, it would be within two.

I heard, from time to time, the car in order may get damaged in the process and results in delays, whether they start over or probably replace just those damaged parts, but there is not much transparency about these problems.

I hope you get some clarity on this ridiculous timeline and maybe additional discount for that matter. Hang in there!
The ridiculous time is tied to the chip shortage and apparently the limited number of limiteds out there. Also white is apparently a popular color.

Its been tough.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:19 PM   #72
WhiteRX09
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 321304
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
White

Speaking of factory orders, I have been searching for a Lapis Blue STI prior to putting in a factory order. I finally found one coming in 3 hours away. I contact the dealership, and they tell me it is a factory order for a customer, and it cannot be sold. Yet, these clowns have it listed as inventory in transit coming into their dealer. Talk about a way to bait people into their dealer. Is that normal practice?
WhiteRX09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:13 PM   #73
joecho530
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRX09 View Post
Speaking of factory orders, I have been searching for a Lapis Blue STI prior to putting in a factory order. I finally found one coming in 3 hours away. I contact the dealership, and they tell me it is a factory order for a customer, and it cannot be sold. Yet, these clowns have it listed as inventory in transit coming into their dealer. Talk about a way to bait people into their dealer. Is that normal practice?
When I go back to the VIN history of the car I requested factory order for, it shows that the car was listed for sale a week or two earlier than the actual delivery date, so I think it is normal practice. It sucks when you are not the one who ordered and want the car. I am in that shoes right now.

It may be, in case the customer who requested the factory order does not commit to the purchase but that is just my guess. From where I am though, these STIs do not even sit on the lot for over a week before someone buys them.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:30 PM   #74
joecho530
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
I have a 2012 wrx that is fully modded. Next thing up for it is a built motor, turbo and probably a transmission swap. I get my tinker twitch out on that car.

Seeing value of unmolested wrxs and stis over the past several years tells me a 2021 non-modded, will be very appealing to the purists. My intent is to keep it that way. Seeing how 2021 represents the last-ish of this generation and seeing small production numbers, who knows it might be worth something more?

The ridiculous time is tied to the chip shortage and apparently the limited number of limiteds out there. Also white is apparently a popular color.

Its been tough.
Yeah four months and still no update. That is wild. I would be calling or visiting the dealership every day by now. Who knows, maybe I will be in a couple months.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:44 PM   #75
Cosimo12
Scooby Newbie

Went with the lapis blue! Should get a von in the next few days. Thanks guys. Another dumb question but I canít find it anywhere. Does the 2021 rear diff still use the r180 clutch type or have they changed it to an open diff?