Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday December 7, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-02-2021, 11:58 AM   #1
Skin Irritant
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 157208
Vehicle:
2006 Wrx TR Wingless
WRB

Default Headlight suggestion

2011 wrx hatchback. Getting ready to exchange stock headlight housings for some upgrade OEMassive units. I have the halogen bulbs set up, and want to upgrade to LED bulbs while I have the front bumper cover off.

Any suggestions on tried and true led headlight bulbs you would recommend?? Will do the fog lights too, so fire away!!

As always, thank you in advance
Skin Irritant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2021, 06:04 PM   #2
timpala11
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 512891
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2010 STi/21 Passport
RIP 19 WRX & 16 FXT

Diode Dynamics usually has some pretty good stuff. I used them for all of my lighting needs on my 19 WRX and gf's 16 FXT. Can't you do a conversion to HIDs? I am waiting on some custom lights from Foxbeam Lighting and I'm pretty sure he is using the OEMassive housing for my build. I have a 2010 STi with the HIDs though but he was doing a projector upgrade for me too.

edit: I just realized I replied to your other post lol.
timpala11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:06 PM   #3
Skin Irritant
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Wrx TR Wingless
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpala11 View Post
Diode Dynamics usually has some pretty good stuff. I used them for all of my lighting needs on my 19 WRX and gf's 16 FXT. Can't you do a conversion to HIDs? I am waiting on some custom lights from Foxbeam Lighting and I'm pretty sure he is using the OEMassive housing for my build. I have a 2010 STi with the HIDs though but he was doing a projector upgrade for me too.

edit: I just realized I replied to your other post lol.

Thank you for taking the time to reply at all. When I had my first 06 wrx, this site you asked a question you got 20 answers in 20 minutes.

I looked at the diode dynamics, but every light I pulled up said for fog use only. I saw the fog lights in the headlights are the same bulb, but I didnít know if they were truly interchangeable or not.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:47 PM   #4
thatgarrett
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 497099
Vehicle:
2007 Outback Sport
Urban Gray

Legally, they have to state for fog or off road use since there are pretty strict regulations that headlight bulbs have to meet, so often places like DD market all of there wares as off road or fog light use for legality, though they know what people would really use them for, so they are at least somewhat developed with low beam/high beam use in mind.

You might get decent results, or worse than stock, definitely not anywhere near an OEM LED/HID or a proper retrofit, but as much as the internet hates on doing things just for looks, Iíd understand that too
thatgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:08 PM   #5
Fndragn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 470845
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2011 Sti
DGM

Retrofit them with good morimoto parts and be done with it. That's your best bet.
Fndragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:28 AM   #6
Unabomber
👏 Big Ron 👏

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

1. Go to Pizza King
2. Consume Royal Feast

You don't need no stinking headlights. If you want super trouble free, you'll invest in OEM STi headlights and some nice halogen yellow foglights by Osram or Narva. Keep in mind yellow fogs are for better performance in fog and NOT about the look of a yellow bulb. And if you want a real answer, you can holler at https://www.danielsternlighting.com/ and see what Daniel recommends.

I'm no LED lighting dork, but I don't this option requires a retrofit like HID for use in a Subaru. But, I haven't heard any chatter on how long LED bulbs last in the real world. I know that upgraded halogens do have a shorter lifespan, so after years of using blingy bulbs I swapped back to 99 cent OEMs as they last forever. Now I'm using OEM STI HID because baller.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:44 PM   #7
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2021 Building
It Better

In addition to what Ron said above, I would highly recommend wiring the fogs so that they can be run anytime. I've been in situations long ago up in the White Mountains at night on a notch pass with my 78 Chevy van and a couple buddies to go hiking for the weekend and the fog was so bad that low beams didn't light up squat, but I had a good set of Cibies under the bumper, independently wired and I shut off the headlights entirely and those fogs showed the road that was previously non-visible.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 12:33 AM   #8
Skin Irritant
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Wrx TR Wingless
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber View Post
1. Go to Pizza King
2. Consume Royal Feast

You don't need no stinking headlights. If you want super trouble free, you'll invest in OEM STi headlights and some nice halogen yellow foglights by Osram or Narva. Keep in mind yellow fogs are for better performance in fog and NOT about the look of a yellow bulb. And if you want a real answer, you can holler at https://www.danielsternlighting.com/ and see what Daniel recommends.

I'm no LED lighting dork, but I don't this option requires a retrofit like HID for use in a Subaru. But, I haven't heard any chatter on how long LED bulbs last in the real world. I know that upgraded halogens do have a shorter lifespan, so after years of using blingy bulbs I swapped back to 99 cent OEMs as they last forever. Now I'm using OEM STI HID because baller.

Youíre killing me man! I hope your trip back north was successful