Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday November 16, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2018, 09:21 PM   #1
Steve0897
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 468734
Join Date: Jun 2017
Default 2006 WRX ~300hp goals

Hey guys, planning on upgrading my WRX this upcoming spring. My goal is around 300 WHP, Would obviously like to spend the least amount of money possible, while obtaining a reliable daily. As of now, my WRX has a catted DP, short ram intake, STI TMIC, and a turboSX BOV (planning on swapping back to stock BPV).
Potential mod list?
-VF39
-Pink top injectors? (unless the stock 2006 WRX injectors are worthy)
-Walbro 255 fuel pump?
-Grimmspeed EWG
-Grimmspeed EBCS

What else would you guys recommend to reach ~300WHP? Thanks in advanced!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Steve0897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:36 PM   #2
monkeyposeur
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 333468
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: SLC, UT
Vehicle:
1993 SS
03 WRB GD 205/22T 20G-XT

Default

Ditch the short ram and go back to a stock airbox. All the short ram is doing is sucking in hot engine bay air giving you higher IATs, less air into the engine, harder to tune, and less power.

An EWG isn't needed for your power goals.

A VF39 can get you close to 300 whp, if you run race gas you'll get closer.

An 18g or 20g size will easily get you 300 whp with some ID 1050s. Although I would recommend upgrading to a GS or Process West tmic, especially if you go 20g size. Yes, you can run an 18g with stock injectors but it's safer to run larger injectors and you have more potential power available.

I get about 350 whp on 91 oct @ 4250 ft with a Blouch 20g-xt.

Walbro will be sufficient. The AEM 320 lph is also nice. I run the AEM on the advice of my tuner.

Proven power bragging forum should have similar setups and you can see what kind of power others made and the mods they used.
monkeyposeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:24 AM   #3
ericsson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 208672
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STI Limited
Obsidian Black

Default

Modding the OEM engine is a slow / dreadful descent into blowing up the engine.. Might as well save and buy a real engine and then not worry about reliability.
ericsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:53 AM   #4
mikeydrives1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 262117
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2001 Forester STI
MKtuned

Default

The pink injectors are the same flow as stock on your model, those are geared towards the ej20 crowd.

Ditch the EWG for now and spend that cash on an upgraded and reputable top mount intercooler. Paired with a VF39, grimmspeed ECBS and a turbo-back exhaust, as long as your engine is in healthy working order, any competent tuner should be able to land you in the 275-300 whp range (Dynojet) safely.
mikeydrives1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:59 AM   #5
Blktrax
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 220971
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: West, NC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 223K Mi.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve0897 View Post
My goal is around 300 WHP, Would obviously like to spend the least amount of money possible, while obtaining a reliable daily.
You want reliable, put it back to as near stock with a dyno tune. As HP goes up , reliability & longevity goes down. Period.

You would be a lot further ahead to stop right now, sell your car thatís not broken yet and go buy a used C5 Corvette for about 14k.

You want 300 WHP
Blouch 18gxt 8cm
Perrin or APS turbo inlet pipe
850-1000cc injectors
DW300 pump
ECBS that matches your tuning solution
A ProDyno tune
A new clutch

+1 , put the stock air box back on and recerc valve

Last edited by Blktrax; 11-07-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Blktrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #6
ericsson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 208672
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STI Limited
Obsidian Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktrax View Post
You want reliable, put it back to as near stock with a dyno tune. As HP goes up , reliability & longevity goes down. Period.

+1 , put the stock air box back on

^ This is the truth most don't want to accept / face
ericsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #7
MikeG4936
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 260561
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX Ltd
Grey

Default

E85 and a VF39/43/48 will get you past 300whp, on 93 octane, you'll be just short of that on a VF turbo.
MikeG4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:05 PM   #8
Steve0897
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 468734
Join Date: Jun 2017
Default

Thanks for all the help fellas, lll do some more research, might have to re-analyze my plan lol
Steve0897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:30 PM   #9
Blowby
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 122684
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Crestview, FL
Vehicle:
2006 WRB WRX w/ VF39
molested by a drunkmann

Default

A VF39 will get you 300 and more and maintain reliability. Bought my 06 WRX new. Installed various mods including a VF39 (with similar mileage at the time) at 32K miles.

Still running the same VF39 (now with 130K miles on motor and turbo) making 354awhp on 93 pump at 21psi and no meth. It's 100% possible. Just saying. I drive my WRX just about everyday and never have questioned it's reliability once.
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #10
ericsson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 208672
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STI Limited
Obsidian Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
A VF39 will get you 300 and more and maintain reliability. Bought my 06 WRX new. Installed various mods including a VF39 (with similar mileage at the time) at 32K miles.

Still running the same VF39 (now with 130K miles on motor and turbo) making 354awhp on 93 pump at 21psi and no meth. It's 100% possible. Just saying. I drive my WRX just about everyday and never have questioned it's reliability once.
No one questions reliability until something blows up

and then it's too late
ericsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:05 PM   #11
Zcypot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 372777
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Compton, CA
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Sedan Lmtd
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve0897 View Post
Hey guys, planning on upgrading my WRX this upcoming spring. My goal is around 300 WHP, Would obviously like to spend the least amount of money possible, while obtaining a reliable daily. As of now, my WRX has a catted DP, short ram intake, STI TMIC, and a turboSX BOV (planning on swapping back to stock BPV).
Potential mod list?
-VF39
-Pink top injectors? (unless the stock 2006 WRX injectors are worthy)
-Walbro 255 fuel pump?
-Grimmspeed EWG
-Grimmspeed EBCS

What else would you guys recommend to reach ~300WHP? Thanks in advanced!

it will be hard to maintain 300whp with the VF39, my VF52 would hit around 300whp by 5k ish rpm then drop to 277whp by 6.4k RPM. Simply upgrading to a bigger turbo and running it on wastegate will benefit you greatly, but you will trade where power comes in, up side you wont be running the turbo really hard to achieve your goal. Fuel will limit you more. My area only has 91 oct so it really limited how much I could push, 93oct would net you a bit more.
Zcypot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:07 PM   #12
Blowby
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 122684
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Crestview, FL
Vehicle:
2006 WRB WRX w/ VF39
molested by a drunkmann

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
No one questions reliability until something blows up

and then it's too late
Yeah but I got 100k+ miles out of it all with a lot of weekend trackdays and autoX.....I'll take it at this point.
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:05 PM   #13
ericsson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 208672
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STI Limited
Obsidian Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
Yeah but I got 100k+ miles out of it all with a lot of weekend trackdays and autoX.....I'll take it at this point.
Yeah... You're one of the lucky ones...
ericsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #14
Dave D.
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 130990
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Menzel Lake, WA
Vehicle:
06 Red Ltd.Wagon
20gxtr JJ tuned

Default

I ran a VF-39, catted downpipe, STi catback and intercooler for years, everything else was stock, including the injectors. It's the cheapest bang for the buck, and with a decent tune should last indefinitely. After this it get's more expensive -- bigger turbo, injectors, which will likely lead to a blown motor and tranny eventually.
Dave D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:11 PM   #15
Steve0897
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 468734
Join Date: Jun 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
A VF39 will get you 300 and more and maintain reliability. Bought my 06 WRX new. Installed various mods including a VF39 (with similar mileage at the time) at 32K miles.

Still running the same VF39 (now with 130K miles on motor and turbo) making 354awhp on 93 pump at 21psi and no meth. It's 100% possible. Just saying. I drive my WRX just about everyday and never have questioned it's reliability once.
Thatís the confidence I needed haha. My WRX has ~58k miles on it and is rarely driven ďhardĒ (donít get me wrong, love going into boost lol). Could you give me an upgrade list of your build? Iím intrigued lol, thanks
Steve0897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:57 AM   #16
Blowby
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 122684
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Crestview, FL
Vehicle:
2006 WRB WRX w/ VF39
molested by a drunkmann

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve0897 View Post
Thatís the confidence I needed haha. My WRX has ~58k miles on it and is rarely driven ďhardĒ (donít get me wrong, love going into boost lol). Could you give me an upgrade list of your build? Iím intrigued lol, thanks
Hahaha....sure man. Hopefully I didn't forget anything. I've been trying to see how far I can push this turbo for a while.

Walbro 255
DW 750cc injectors
Custom short ram
APS 525 FMIC w/ Turbosmart raceport BOV
TGV deletes (port matched to intake manifold)
Air pump delete
Grimmspeed up pipe w/ 44mm EWG
VF39
Gimmick silicone turbo inlet
Tanabe medallion concept G "blue" turboback
Grimmspeed manual boost controller

Speed density tuned at 21psi
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:15 PM   #17
wrxracer519
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 149890
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Somewhere in CT
Vehicle:
09 Forester
Green

Default

Parts I used to have 300WHP on my 06 wrx, tuned at EFI Logics. I ran out of fuel uptop and will be installing ID 1050X injectors and will gain more power.

Walbro 255
VF48
Grimmspeed Up-pipe
Cobb Catted turbo back
Cobb SF Intake with box
Cobb AP V2
Grimmspeed Cross over pipe
Turbo Inlet
Grimmspeed Boost solenoid
3mm Phenonlic spacers
TGV Deletes
Airpump delete
STI TMIC
Misc. Gold tape/heatshield
wrxracer519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:35 PM   #18
Steve0897
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 468734
Join Date: Jun 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
Hahaha....sure man. Hopefully I didn't forget anything. I've been trying to see how far I can push this turbo for a while.

Walbro 255
DW 750cc injectors
Custom short ram
APS 525 FMIC w/ Turbosmart raceport BOV
TGV deletes (port matched to intake manifold)
Air pump delete
Grimmspeed up pipe w/ 44mm EWG
VF39
Gimmick silicone turbo inlet
Tanabe medallion concept G "blue" turboback
Grimmspeed manual boost controller

Speed density tuned at 21psi
Thanks bro I appreciate the help
Steve0897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #19
Steve0897
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 468734
Join Date: Jun 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxracer519 View Post
Parts I used to have 300WHP on my 06 wrx, tuned at EFI Logics. I ran out of fuel uptop and will be installing ID 1050X injectors and will gain more power.

Walbro 255
VF48
Grimmspeed Up-pipe
Cobb Catted turbo back
Cobb SF Intake with box
Cobb AP V2
Grimmspeed Cross over pipe
Turbo Inlet
Grimmspeed Boost solenoid
3mm Phenonlic spacers
TGV Deletes
Airpump delete
STI TMIC
Misc. Gold tape/heatshield
Thank you as well man, all this feed back really helps, appreciate it ✊🏼
Steve0897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.