Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday June 2, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #176
Dogsbody
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 336187

Mine is an 05 WRX (drivetrain swap came out of a Forrester). I've had everything done beside the harness swap. It runs and drives but there are issues. Speedometer reads like 5 mph slow. I've swapped ECUs AT to MT and there's no difference. Like the poster before me, I have a CE and a high idle that I can't clear via the ODB port - I've checked all my fuses and they're good. I plug in my AcessPort and it can't connect. I can disconnect the battery and all is good for about 75 miles (but still can't read anything through the port) then the CE come on again. I've also lost cruise control (really miss this) and the doors will only lock and not unlock.

I've been told if I use a Forrester instrument cluster all my problems will go away. Is that true? Visually the WRX and Forrester clusters are different.

Last edited by Dogsbody; 08-23-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Dogsbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2019, 09:46 PM   #177
stegasa
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 478110
Question Rewired everything and now four new CEL codes

Hello all,

Had some guy swap my 99 Forester 4EAT with a 5MT. All was running great except for some CELs due to not wiring it correctly and most annoying was my speedometer wasn't working. Used this guide to do an extensive rewire of the VSS where I spliced one wire into the ECU (GB into pin 24 of B135), one Br wire I found a ground wire coming out of the auto plug - soldered it to that, and the other I spliced into the ignition/combination meter "GW" wiring under the dashboard. I also grounded pin 25 of B135 ECU harness by relocating wire 16 of B135 ECU Plug (came from the TCM). All the initial codes are gone but now I have four new codes. P0325 - Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Bank1, P0122 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor /Switch A Circuit Low, P0102 - Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Low, and P0107 - Manifold Absolute Pressure / Barometric Pressure Circuit Low. It seems like I left something unplugged but I've checked like four times and cannot find anything wrong. All the wires I spliced into have nothing to do with these things or their power supply as far as I know so I'm at a loss of what to check now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
stegasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:35 AM   #178
Fozymandias
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 504375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsbody View Post
Mine is an 05 WRX (drivetrain swap came out of a Forrester). I've had everything done beside the harness swap. It runs and drives but there are issues. Speedometer reads like 5 mph slow. I've swapped ECUs AT to MT and there's no difference. Like the poster before me, I have a CE and a high idle that I can't clear via the ODB port - I've checked all my fuses and they're good. I plug in my AcessPort and it can't connect. I can disconnect the battery and all is good for about 75 miles (but still can't read anything through the port) then the CE come on again. I've also lost cruise control (really miss this) and the doors will only lock and not unlock.

I've been told if I use a Forrester instrument cluster all my problems will go away. Is that true? Visually the WRX and Forrester clusters are different.
No difference between manual and auto ECUís - there is an identification pin that needs to be grounded. The manual harness has a ground wire for that pin, the auto doesnít. You need to find a pinout for your ECU and then ground that pin.

Re: high idle, Iíd image your Transmission control module is still plugged in - thatís whats causing the high idle (it thinks it still has a torque converter) there are two plugs (some have a 3rd smaller one if the car had VTD) one of those plugs controls the ABS the other controls the idle (of course the do other things too) leave the ABS one plugged in, unplug the other one - that will solve the idle.

The fact that your speedo is working but off may be a cluster issue or it may be due to the VSS type or the way itís wired. You need to run the VSS signal wire to pin 13 on the B55 transmission control module plug and then run the ground wire to a suitable ground and the power wire to a suitable 12v power source (I used the ECU for both)
Fozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:50 PM   #179
IronFish
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 511513
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

I have a 2004 WRX that was unfortunately in an accident recently, and is now totaled (insurance company under valuing the car). I'm looking for a new 04 as similar to mine as possible, and there is a very clean one close to me, but it has an incorrect transmission and of course is slightly higher miles.
I'm keeping my old car for parts anyway, and I in fact just had the clutch done before the accident so I was probably going to keep the tranny anyway.
All the mechanical stuff seems pretty straightforward, but how easy would it be to just remove my MT wiring harness and work it into the new AT one?
Also would it make sense for me to swap in my low mileage maintained engine into the new one as well? And would this make a transmission swap easier?
Thank you.
IronFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:40 PM   #180
caschmidt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 194453
Vehicle:
2001 Legacy 2.5 GT
Winestone Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFish View Post
I have a 2004 WRX that was unfortunately in an accident recently, and is now totaled (insurance company under valuing the car). I'm looking for a new 04 as similar to mine as possible, and there is a very clean one close to me, but it has an incorrect transmission and of course is slightly higher miles.
I'm keeping my old car for parts anyway, and I in fact just had the clutch done before the accident so I was probably going to keep the tranny anyway.
All the mechanical stuff seems pretty straightforward, but how easy would it be to just remove my MT wiring harness and work it into the new AT one?
Also would it make sense for me to swap in my low mileage maintained engine into the new one as well? And would this make a transmission swap easier?
Thank you.
Hi IronFish,

Replacing the engine with the transmission bolted on will probably be easier than doing just the transmission. Having them come out together is generally easier than trying to wrestle the trans out while the engine is in the car. Especially if you know and trust the engine, I would say that is worth it.

As far as the wiring harness, You'd need to take the dash out and wrestle with tight wires, and often there are wires that lead elsewhere (such as the neutral safety switch and reverse switch to the trans). I'd be willing to bet if they're the same year car that the ECU is mostly the same. I recall I had to ground the AT/MT identifier pin, that was the only thing to tell the car it had a manual. Replacing the whole harness may be more work than its worth and you may be left with the same minor wiring differences since many of them are on the body of the car itself. Can't imagine the 04 is too much different than the 98 and 01 swaps that I did, but I'd look into the pinout. If there's a AT/MT identifier pin, you probably dont need to replace the whole harness.

The only other wiring things that I'm aware of is the neutral switch, reverse switch, and speed sensor which can be different between AT and MT. There's also the AT computer which may be connected with the ECU in many ways. ABS is one thing that comes to mind.

As long as the rear diff ratio matches you should be good to go.
caschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote