Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 16, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-20-2017, 01:46 AM   #1
Kaykay
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 409353
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI

Default 2018 STi and fog lights?

Hello everyone,

I know it's still a bit early for this car, but I was wondering if anyone has found a kit or anything for fog lights on the new 2018 STi? I know Subaru was saying they were removed to provide ventilation or whatever, but Ford seems to do it fine with ventilation there and fog lights too (or so I was told). So has anyone found something for this car?

I did find this:

https://www.prolightz.com/fog-lights...t-package.html

Which says it's for this car but based on the pictures it looks like it would impede or entirely block any airflow that area is supposed to allow.

Any thoughts?
Kaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2017, 09:19 AM   #2
SycsFinest
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 411320
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
Galaxy Blue

The opening in the fog covers for the STI looks like it would be perfect for a set of fogs. I'm curious what it would look like to install a set and let the light shine through the perforations in the fog cover.
SycsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #3
transmutation
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 467769
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2018 STI Limited
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaykay View Post
Hello everyone,

I know it's still a bit early for this car, but I was wondering if anyone has found a kit or anything for fog lights on the new 2018 STi? I know Subaru was saying they were removed to provide ventilation or whatever, but Ford seems to do it fine with ventilation there and fog lights too (or so I was told). So has anyone found something for this car?

I did find this:

Which says it's for this car but based on the pictures it looks like it would impede or entirely block any airflow that area is supposed to allow.

Any thoughts?
I got this kit for the fogs and they work great. I also paired it with the JDM S4 bezels. Subbiespeed has a kit which also includes an interior switch but it doesn't work with the Limited trim as the blind spot monitoring switch is in the same spot as the fog light button.

The factory "air intakes" don't go anywhere as has been documented by several members here so the choice to add fogs is personal preference.

Last edited by transmutation; 11-20-2017 at 01:09 PM. Reason: added detail
transmutation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:53 PM   #4
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 123843
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2016 STI LTD CWP
Let LED's light your way!

The front bumper-cover for the WRX STI is the same for the WRX. The provision for fog-lamps exists, however on the WRX STI they are covered by the solid bezels.

You can get OEM WRX bezels with fog-lamp openings or the JDM bezels both the fog-lamp openings and the DRL light-strip and then you can get OEM or LED fog-lamps.

I do not know whether the harness is in place from the factory for the fog-lamps.
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #5
Kaykay
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI

Okay this is interesting to know. One of my only complaints about this car was that it had no fog lights and I was told that fog lights were not a thing because of the "air intakes". But if that's a load of junk then that changes things...

Now I'm not sure how the models equate US vs Canada, but I do have the blind spot monitoring on mine so if I use the subispeed kit it might be an issue then yes? So the prolightz kit is a decent one then?
Old 11-20-2017, 06:49 PM   #6
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 123843
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2016 STI LTD CWP
Let LED's light your way!

I would remove a bezel and inspect it as well as for the bumper-cover and anything behind it for any kind of ducting.

While I do not own your model nor have I had the opportunity to take a look at one in any kind of detail, I would say that more likely than not that there is no ducting and that the bezel, while it has open grille work to it, does nothing.

Subaru lists the front bumper cover for the following models:

Subaru STI 2.5L TURBO 6MT Premium 2018
Subaru STI 2.5L TURBO 6MT STI 2018
Subaru STI 2.5L TURBO 6MT STI Limited 2018
Subaru WRX 2.0L 6MT Base 2018
Subaru WRX 2.0L 6MT Limited 2018
Subaru WRX 2.0L 6MT Premium 2018
Subaru WRX 2.0L CVT Base 2018
Subaru WRX 2.0L CVT Limited 2018
Subaru WRX 2.0L CVT Limited w/EyeSight 2018
Subaru WRX 2.0L CVT Premium 2018
Subaru WRX 2.5L TURBO 6MT STI w/Spoiler 2018
Subaru WRX 2.5L TURBO 6MT WRX STI 2018
Subaru WRX 2.5L TURBO 6MT WRX STI Limited w/Spoiler 2018
Subaru WRX 2.5L TURBO 6MT WRX STI Premium w/Spoiler
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:05 PM   #7
Sarcoughaguy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 472039
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2018 STi Limited
LBP

There is no ducting, see here

http://allwelldrive.blogspot.com/201...i-changes.html

I wish they would have given us a DRL bezel like they did the JDM S4.

However, since we have steering responsive headlights, the USDM version had their fog lights removed. There is no harness there either, so you'll need to have the quick tap wires or use the kit like was mentioned before. You have several options
Sarcoughaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:11 PM   #8
RussianTiny
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 387467
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
WRB Stage 2 FlexFuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcoughaguy View Post
There is no ducting, see here

http://allwelldrive.blogspot.com/201...i-changes.html

I wish they would have given us a DRL bezel like they did the JDM S4.

However, since we have steering responsive headlights, the USDM version had their fog lights removed. There is no harness there either, so you'll need to have the quick tap wires or use the kit like was mentioned before. You have several options

My 18 WRX Limited with steering responsive headlights has fog lights. Hopefully you can easily swap in the WRX or S4 fog king bezel into your STI and the wiring is there.
RussianTiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:33 AM   #9
transmutation
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 STI Limited
WRB

There is no fog light wiring in the 2018 STI in either trim.

Last edited by transmutation; 11-21-2017 at 12:52 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-21-2017, 12:56 AM   #10
transmutation
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 STI Limited
WRB

Quote:
Okay this is interesting to know. One of my only complaints about this car was that it had no fog lights and I was told that fog lights were not a thing because of the "air intakes". But if that's a load of junk then that changes things...

Now I'm not sure how the models equate US vs Canada, but I do have the blind spot monitoring on mine so if I use the subispeed kit it might be an issue then yes? So the prolightz kit is a decent one then?
I think the Prolightz kit is fine. The fogs are Morimoto LEDs and extremely bright with a sharp cutoff. The only downside is that there is no interior switch if that is important to you. I looked around to see if i could source a switch for the Subbiespeed kit but apparently the 2018s have slightly different interior panels and there is not an OEM switch available. I'm sure someone could fab something up but i decided not to mess with it for now.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:24 AM   #11
ajsti24
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 345666
Chapter/Region: SCIC

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I did find this:

Any thoughts?
Fog lights is possible to add on a 2018 STi, there is a provision for mounting the fog lamp lens on the bumper. There is no ducting of whatsoever behind the bumper bezel. I attached some pics of my 2018 STi front bumper bezel opening.

Behind the front fender liner, no ducting, hole...same as the 15-17 WRX/STi fender liner

ajsti24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #12
transmutation
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 STI Limited
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsti24 View Post
Fog lights is possible to add on a 2018 STi, there is a provision for mounting the fog lamp lens on the bumper. There is no ducting of whatsoever behind the bumper bezel. I attached some pics of my 2018 STi front bumper bezel opening.
AJ, sorry i know I've already asked you questions in other threads but your JDM LEDs come on when either the parking lights or headlights are on correct? Not when just the C-Light DRLs are on?
Old 11-22-2017, 01:21 PM   #13
IndecisiveS12
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 463349
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Sport
World Rally Blue

maybe we've been looking at this all wrong and those covers and air ducts are for cooling the headlights

or....cooling the bottom of the sealed airbox and the battery...lol

[/sarcasm]
IndecisiveS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:49 PM   #14
Kaykay
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI

I just wonder what the purpose of them saying the ducts are for brake cooling only to have them do nothing at all. Either it's a blatant gimmick that they might take some major flack for, or it's "in case the owner wants to put it in."
Old 11-25-2017, 11:41 PM   #15
transmutation
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 STI Limited
WRB

I don't think I've ever seen Subaru claim there is ducting. Some reviews have said so but lets face it - reviewers get things wrong all the time. For the 2018s it seems the lack of fogs is purely a cost/weight saving move.

I highly suspect that the 2019 model will have them in order to offer something more for the final year.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:12 AM   #16
Kaykay
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI

Well I guess the main thing I wanted to know was whether or not putting fogs in would hurt anything. Given the proven absence of ducting...I'm gonna say it looks like I'm good to go! lol. ^^;
Old 11-29-2017, 01:15 AM   #17
transmutation
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 STI Limited
WRB

haha, yeah i get it i went through the same thought process but i really like the look of the car a lot more with fogs and the JDM S4 bezels so as soon as i verified there were no actual brake ducts i ordered parts and didn't look back!
Old 11-29-2017, 01:36 AM   #18
Kaykay
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI

I appreciate all the help and info thank you ^^
Old 11-30-2017, 12:28 PM   #19
shoots808
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 370541
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2008 Subaru WRX
WRB

you could always convert it to an actual duct.

http://www.subispeed.com/2015-subaru...i#.WiAxYErtw_w
shoots808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:46 PM   #20
transmutation
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 STI Limited
WRB

Hmm, that is a pricey option but looks like it would work. Us 18s don't have the blinkers down there though so additional back plating or something like that would need to be done to clean up the look (if that is important).