Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 16, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2017, 02:21 AM   #1
4eat05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 378421
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2005 Cobb Stg2+ Wrx
Platinum Silver

Default 02-07 rear subframe compatibility?

Hey everyone, I am wondering if all 02-07 Impreza rear subframes are all interchangeable or not. I am planning to replace a bunch of suspension related parts under to 2005 Wrx sedan. Some being used stock peices to clean, paint and replace bushings, some beinng new with new bushings.

The rear subframe is one thing I am looking to replace but not sure if I need a specific rear subframe, or if they are all the exact same in this time span.

Are non turbo impreza rear subframes same as Wrx?
Are wagon rear subframes same as sedan?(just different length lateral links?)
Are Sti rear subframes the same as Wrx?(aside from some sti having metal bushings vs wrx rubber bushings?

Thanks everybody.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
4eat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:24 AM   #2
Dairusire
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 418982
Join Date: Apr 2015
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Vehicle:
1999 WRX STi Type Ra
555 Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eat05 View Post
Hey everyone, I am wondering if all 02-07 Impreza rear subframes are all interchangeable or not. I am planning to replace a bunch of suspension related parts under to 2005 Wrx sedan. Some being used stock peices to clean, paint and replace bushings, some beinng new with new bushings.

The rear subframe is one thing I am looking to replace but not sure if I need a specific rear subframe, or if they are all the exact same in this time span.

Are non turbo impreza rear subframes same as Wrx?
Are wagon rear subframes same as sedan?(just different length lateral links?)
Are Sti rear subframes the same as Wrx?(aside from some sti having metal bushings vs wrx rubber bushings?

Thanks everybody.
You'll find you will have to get either an awd Impreza subframe or a WRX subframe to fit your diff. An sti rear subframe is built to have an R180 rear end, while you have r160. Physically different sizes so.
Dairusire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
moby4dick
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 51901
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
'04 WRX
WRB

Default

I'm running an R180 in my WRX with the original subframe. So I'd think you'd be fine.
moby4dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:39 PM   #4
4eat05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 378421
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2005 Cobb Stg2+ Wrx
Platinum Silver

Default

Anyone else have any input on the differences between wrx and sti 02-07 rear subframes (other than rubber vs solid bushings)
4eat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:06 PM   #5
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 21145
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Not in my own time
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Default

The WRX & STi are all pretty much the same during that time frame. I can't say about the non-turbo subframes.

You can use any year of that group WRX to any year that group WRX and everything should be plug & play.

If you want to swap in an STi subframe, it's really not going to do anything for you except for the solid mounts, and, of course, you will pay more money because it is STi.

If you want to swap in an R180 rear diff into your WRX, it will fit no problem. They are the same overall length and size. The only difference here is you have to be careful to match the rear end diff ratio to your transmission. The rear diff ratios, and the transmission transfer ratio are NOT all the same.
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:24 PM   #6
JarHarms
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 138994
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: DeKalb-ish, IL
Vehicle:
06 WRX Ltd
02 Forester S

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairusire View Post
You'll find you will have to get either an awd Impreza subframe or a WRX subframe to fit your diff. An sti rear subframe is built to have an R180 rear end, while you have r160. Physically different sizes so.
Utter nonsense. Please stop spreading miss-information.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
The WRX & STi are all pretty much the same during that time frame. I can't say about the non-turbo subframes.

You can use any year of that group WRX to any year that group WRX and everything should be plug & play.

If you want to swap in an STi subframe, it's really not going to do anything for you except for the solid mounts, and, of course, you will pay more money because it is STi.

If you want to swap in an R180 rear diff into your WRX, it will fit no problem. They are the same overall length and size. The only difference here is you have to be careful to match the rear end diff ratio to your transmission. The rear diff ratios, and the transmission transfer ratio are NOT all the same.
Pretty much this ^

OP, stick to any Impreza rear cross-member from 2002-07 and you will limit any issues. Sedan -vs- wagon does not matter for the actual cross-member. I would not worry too much about the solid mounted STI version, it was only used on 2004-05 STIs USDM. Besides some lock bolts will work just as well in a rubber isolated cross-member.
JarHarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:40 PM   #7
RokketRide
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17984
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: LAX
Vehicle:
1967 Barracuda
2000 OBSTi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairusire View Post
You'll find you will have to get either an awd Impreza subframe or a WRX subframe to fit your diff. An sti rear subframe is built to have an R180 rear end, while you have r160. Physically different sizes so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarHarms View Post
Utter nonsense. Please stop spreading miss-information.
Exactly. I have an R180 in my 2000 OBS with original rear subframe.
RokketRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:33 PM   #8
4eat05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 378421
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2005 Cobb Stg2+ Wrx
Platinum Silver

Default

Is the same for all 02-07 rear trailing arms? All fit my 05 wrx sedan regardless if sti/wrx/nonturbo/sedan/wagon?
4eat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:17 AM   #9
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 21145
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Not in my own time
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eat05 View Post
Is the same for all 02-07 rear trailing arms? All fit my 05 wrx sedan regardless if sti/wrx/nonturbo/sedan/wagon?
Help yourself out. Go here:
https://www.subaruparts.com/

Plug in year, make, model of car and look up the part numbers.
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.