Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday September 23, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-29-2021, 11:38 PM   #1
Kaykay
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 409353
Default OEM Door Lock Actuators

Hi everyone,

I have a question about power door locks from the factory and how they can function with aftermarket starters. We have a MY2000 JDM Impreza and it does have power locks in that it uses a Subaru remote to unlock/lock them outside the vehicle, but inside there's no button; you have to flick the driver's side lock knob and it locks the rest.

With a setup like that, is anyone familiar with whether those door locks will function with an aftermarket starter/alarm combo like a Viper or Compustar or will we have to keep the Subaru remote on hand too? It's concerning because if that one remote ever dies it'd be a pain big time.

Thanks so much everyone!
Kaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2021, 08:03 PM   #2
bogus133
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 127469

What do you mean by on the inside there is no button? Do you mean there is no lock switch on the door handles? Either way, it is all done electrically. The remote you are currently using goes to a receiver that is wired into the lock actuator system. When you press the lock/unlock button the receiver sends an electric pulse to the door lock motor which locks or unlocks the door. In my 98RS its just changes the polarity to the motor which makes the motor turn one direction or the other (lock or unlock). Your windows work in a similar way. I don't know anything about aftermarket security systems but I would assume the work the same as the OEM system. You just need to find a system that will work with you specific car. My RS uses 12v pulses for the door locks so any system that uses as 12v pulse I would assume would work.

Also, for your current remote. There maybe a "code" on the back of the remote . Mine say GOH-M24. That is a FCC code. I should be able to purchase any remote with that FCC code and it will work with my system. They have a ton of aftermarket fobs on ebay that I can choose from. You probably can do the same. You may have the same remote as my car. Pairing the remote to the system is very straight forward as well. Takes about 15 seconds.
bogus133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:32 PM   #3
Kaykay
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 409353

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogus133 View Post
What do you mean by on the inside there is no button? Do you mean there is no lock switch on the door handles? Either way, it is all done electrically. The remote you are currently using goes to a receiver that is wired into the lock actuator system. When you press the lock/unlock button the receiver sends an electric pulse to the door lock motor which locks or unlocks the door. In my 98RS its just changes the polarity to the motor which makes the motor turn one direction or the other (lock or unlock). Your windows work in a similar way. I don't know anything about aftermarket security systems but I would assume the work the same as the OEM system. You just need to find a system that will work with you specific car. My RS uses 12v pulses for the door locks so any system that uses as 12v pulse I would assume would work.

Also, for your current remote. There maybe a "code" on the back of the remote . Mine say GOH-M24. That is a FCC code. I should be able to purchase any remote with that FCC code and it will work with my system. They have a ton of aftermarket fobs on ebay that I can choose from. You probably can do the same. You may have the same remote as my car. Pairing the remote to the system is very straight forward as well. Takes about 15 seconds.
Thank you very much for that info, it gives me a few more things to check into.

What I mean by there is no lock button is that on newer vehicles in general, on the same door panel area as the power window buttons, there is also buttons to lock or unlock the doors. Mine does not have this, but instead you manually flick the door lock knob (the knob on top of the door handle) and the doors all lock. Otherwise you unlock or lock with the remote. Basically I am just wanting to know if the aftermarket system is going to work to unlock/lock these doors and replace the factory remote or if somehow it's specialized. The person I've spoken to so far to do the install wasn't sure and I'm trying to find out if this is going to be an issue or not before I pay to have the work done.
Kaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 08:52 PM   #4
bogus133
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 127469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaykay View Post
Thank you very much for that info, it gives me a few more things to check into.

What I mean by there is no lock button is that on newer vehicles in general, on the same door panel area as the power window buttons, there is also buttons to lock or unlock the doors. Mine does not have this, but instead you manually flick the door lock knob (the knob on top of the door handle) and the doors all lock. Otherwise you unlock or lock with the remote. Basically I am just wanting to know if the aftermarket system is going to work to unlock/lock these doors and replace the factory remote or if somehow it's specialized. The person I've spoken to so far to do the install wasn't sure and I'm trying to find out if this is going to be an issue or not before I pay to have the work done.
I got ya! I would assume it would still work but may be a little more involved. There is no actual switch I would think that either the lock actuator motor itself is sending the "lock/unlock" signal to the door timer (assuming your car has that) or maybe there is a hidden toggle switch somewhere that is being tripped when you unlock or lock the doors.

Forgot to mention before about the "door timer". I would assume you have this in your car. The unlock/lock signal gets sent to this box and that is what triggers all the doors to lock or unlock at once. Most likely it's under the drivers side dash. Here is a part# to get an idea of what it should look like: 88201FC000. There is what the alarm system will splice into. The alarm will send a signal to the box which will lock or unlock the doors depending on the signal.
bogus133 is offline   Reply With Quote