Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 18, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-23-2018, 12:13 AM   #1
glenmo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 467826
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
WRB

Default changed the wheels--should I get new lug nuts?

Hello, I recently bought a set of the silver BBS 18 spoke wheels from a 2014 STI for my 2017 WRX. Should I get new lug nuts, or should the stock be ok?
glenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2018, 07:18 AM   #2
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

OEM lug nuts on OEM wheels will work just fine.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:08 AM   #3
glenmo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX
WRB

i figured as much, but it's nice to get some confirmation.

thanks.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #4
TheShaddix
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 483333

I would still get new lug nuts. I switched mine the second i saw them on my new wheels. The stock ones are ugly, they rust, and are heavy. You can get nice forged aluminum ones for around 50-60 bucks. Will look so much better. Or even steel ones are good. Anything is better than the stock lug nuts. They ruin the look of the wheels completely.
TheShaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:07 PM   #5
glenmo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX
WRB

You're right, the stock ones are hideous 😃
When I get better looking ones, I should get the acorn shape ones, as opposed to the conical, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShaddix View Post
I would still get new lug nuts. I switched mine the second i saw them on my new wheels. The stock ones are ugly, they rust, and are heavy. You can get nice forged aluminum ones for around 50-60 bucks. Will look so much better. Or even steel ones are good. Anything is better than the stock lug nuts. They ruin the look of the wheels completely.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:48 PM   #6
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Acorn and conical are not two different types of lug nuts. The stock lug nuts are acorn style with a conical seat.

The vast majority of 12mm-1.25 lug nuts that you find on the market will have a 60* conical seat, which is what you want.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:39 PM   #7
glenmo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX
WRB

I thought acorn had a rounded seat, whereas conical were straight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
Acorn and conical are not two different types of lug nuts. The stock lug nuts are acorn style with a conical seat.

The vast majority of 12mm-1.25 lug nuts that you find on the market will have a 60* conical seat, which is what you want.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:50 PM   #8
europa
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 383231

Rounded seat lug nuts are called ball seat and are primarily used by VW/Audi.

Aesthetics are only one factor in choosing lug nuts. The OEM lug nuts may have threads are more precisely cut.
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:17 AM   #9
glenmo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX
WRB

Last edited by glenmo; 05-24-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:14 PM   #10
TheShaddix
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 483333

If you're sure that rim has 60 degree cone-shaped holes, then any aftermarket lug nuts that have the same 60 degree conical base will work. Another thing to keep in mind is the actual size of the lug nut: there are some that are just too large for certain rims and your socket will not fit over.

Also, I highly recommend getting a socket set with teflon protective sleeves. This will guarantee you never scratch/chip your rims as some chip very easily if they are just painted vs. powdercoat. And when you go to any tire place tell them to use your socket because they will mess up your rims with their powertools. Most shops are careless about how they handle your rims.

https://www.amazon.com/FIT-TOOLS-2-I...lon+socket+set

For the lug nuts you posted I would avoid those. They are made of steel and they'll scratch/chip and rust like crazy. I've had a few sets of them and they are junk. Get something that's forged aluminum, it'll never rust. As long as you torque them properly (90 lbs for this car), they won't strip. I got a set of these and they are super durable and not cheap like some aluminum ones

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VMS-RACING-...72.m2749.l2649
TheShaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:59 PM   #11
glenmo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX
WRB

Thanks for the advice -- I got me some nice aluminum ones like was recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShaddix View Post
If you're sure that rim has 60 degree cone-shaped holes, then any aftermarket lug nuts that have the same 60 degree conical base will work. Another thing to keep in mind is the actual size of the lug nut: there are some that are just too large for certain rims and your socket will not fit over.

Also, I highly recommend getting a socket set with teflon protective sleeves. This will guarantee you never scratch/chip your rims as some chip very easily if they are just painted vs. powdercoat. And when you go to any tire place tell them to use your socket because they will mess up your rims with their powertools. Most shops are careless about how they handle your rims.

https://www.amazon.com/FIT-TOOLS-2-I...lon+socket+set

For the lug nuts you posted I would avoid those. They are made of steel and they'll scratch/chip and rust like crazy. I've had a few sets of them and they are junk. Get something that's forged aluminum, it'll never rust. As long as you torque them properly (90 lbs for this car), they won't strip. I got a set of these and they are super durable and not cheap like some aluminum ones

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VMS-RACING-...72.m2749.l2649