Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday May 28, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #301
whiplash willy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 424843
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Portland, Or
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Limited 6MT
ISM

Default

Steve,

I am curious if you had/have a clunk when stopped, and turn the steering wheel back and fourth quickly like in my video linked below. Also, if you had it before and/or after the steering rack replacement.


On a side note, I have recently started hearing a new front end noise. It only happens at 1 part of my daily commute, and I am unable to reproduce it anywhere else. It only happens when I am going downhill, and doing a sharp right hand hill at less then 20mph. It happens whether I use my brakes or not. And I have to be going downhill, so the front end is loaded more then normal. It is kind of a whirling/rubbing noise that comes from my front driver side wheel. I wounder what it is from, and if it has any relation to my other front end clunks.

I hope someone finds a permanent fix for these issues. It happens with other Subaru models as well, like Legacys, and Outbacks as well. It seems anyone who has had any combination of the fixes (New Tophats, new Shocks, New Rack) has had the clunks come back within days or months of the repairs. I have even heard some people say that their clunk went away for a couple of days when their front end was up in the air (unloaded) for a few days, which might explain why several of these fixes only temp resolve the clunk. Maybe the clunk goes away when a dealer replaces a good part, just because the suspension has been unloaded for a few days. I just may jack up the front of my car, and let it sit over the weekend, and see what happens.

I am really struggling with deciding whether I should take it to the dealer or not. I am a perfectionist when it comes to my car, and I don't like the idea of Dealership Techs wrenching on my car or driving it around. I have had bad experiences in the past, and I doubt they will be careful with it, and who knows if they will abuse it when "Test Driving" it. It is also likely that it will take several trips to the dealership as they replace a part, say it is fixed, and it is not, or the clunks only go away for a short time.

I am at 23k miles, and the 2 clunks have been happening for as long as I can remember, however I don't think I had them when the car was new, but they definitely appeared within the first 5k miles. It hasn't gotten any worse, and I haven't experienced any abnormal feelings in the steering or suspension, just the noise. I am almost considering waiting until my warranty is up(so I can justify replacement parts to the wife), and buying new Top Hats, and Bilstien B6's, and replacing the parts myself and see what happens.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
whiplash willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #302
SteveJ85
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 481926
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Cleveland
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditio View Post
I have 2016 Limited and I recently started getting something similar to what's described in this thread. Only difference is I would describe the sound I'm hearing as more of a clicking than a clunk. At low speeds while braking or just after releasing the brake after a full stop I get a clicking sound. The sounds does not occur only over bump, perfectly flat road as well. And it also doesn't appear to be worsened at all over bumpy roads. I have a gravel driveway and most of the time I don't hear (or feel) it on my driveway. I have also noticed that once the car is fully warmed up the sound is more pronounced or when temperatures outside are warmer. I do not have a sound while turning the wheel, and no sound while driving above ~20 MPH.

My first hunch before finding this thread was my brake pad rattle clip was damage or something along those lines. Everything checked out fine. I currently have RCE black springs installed but went about 4-5k miles with the springs installed before experiencing the sound. Not sure how a warranty claim would be handled with aftermarket springs, guess I could swap back to stock?
The one thing I've noticed since the car has broken in is that the brakes have really loosened up.. Pedal feels a little sloppy; nothing annoying though. I think I can hear a single "click" when applying, and then when releasing the brake but nothing that sounds out of the ordinary.

I will say that when I went in the first time for my suspension clunk issue, the dealer said something about my brake components being loose, and if the clunking noise over bumps went away when I had the brakes applied, that was the culprit (which it was not; my crap clunks all day every day).

Does your "clicking" happen just once or it is a rattle/click that happens on uneven roads? That is what I started hearing, then the click turned into this clunk eventually. But again, it has nothing to do with me hitting the brakes on mine. Hope that helps.
SteveJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #303
SteveJ85
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 481926
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Cleveland
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash willy View Post
Steve,

I am curious if you had/have a clunk when stopped, and turn the steering wheel back and fourth quickly like in my video linked below. Also, if you had it before and/or after the steering rack replacement.

https://youtu.be/n5_2mrcAYbA

On a side note, I have recently started hearing a new front end noise. It only happens at 1 part of my daily commute, and I am unable to reproduce it anywhere else. It only happens when I am going downhill, and doing a sharp right hand hill at less then 20mph. It happens whether I use my brakes or not. And I have to be going downhill, so the front end is loaded more then normal. It is kind of a whirling/rubbing noise that comes from my front driver side wheel. I wounder what it is from, and if it has any relation to my other front end clunks.

I hope someone finds a permanent fix for these issues. It happens with other Subaru models as well, like Legacys, and Outbacks as well. It seems anyone who has had any combination of the fixes (New Tophats, new Shocks, New Rack) has had the clunks come back within days or months of the repairs. I have even heard some people say that their clunk went away for a couple of days when their front end was up in the air (unloaded) for a few days, which might explain why several of these fixes only temp resolve the clunk. Maybe the clunk goes away when a dealer replaces a good part, just because the suspension has been unloaded for a few days. I just may jack up the front of my car, and let it sit over the weekend, and see what happens.

I am really struggling with deciding whether I should take it to the dealer or not. I am a perfectionist when it comes to my car, and I don't like the idea of Dealership Techs wrenching on my car or driving it around. I have had bad experiences in the past, and I doubt they will be careful with it, and who knows if they will abuse it when "Test Driving" it. It is also likely that it will take several trips to the dealership as they replace a part, say it is fixed, and it is not, or the clunks only go away for a short time.
In addition to the clunking suspension issue I still have now, I had a mild case of what is shown in that video. It wasn't nearly as bad, but it was identical in nature. There was also a creaking noise if I turned the wheel very slowly while parked. The new steering rack fixed that issue, but had no effect on the clunk. I fear that somehow they're all related in one way or another.. So far the steering clunk hasn't resurfaced.

As to your whirling/rubbing sound I haven't experienced anything like that.

I'm the same way as you. I can't stand leaving my car in the possession of a stranger. I usually reset one of my trip meters, and reset my boost gauge before I get out of the car. It's your right to take that thing back as many times as you want to fix the issue. Check the lemon laws in your state.
SteveJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #304
Seditio
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 257807
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CT, USA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Limited CVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ85 View Post
The one thing I've noticed since the car has broken in is that the brakes have really loosened up.. Pedal feels a little sloppy; nothing annoying though. I think I can hear a single "click" when applying, and then when releasing the brake but nothing that sounds out of the ordinary.

I will say that when I went in the first time for my suspension clunk issue, the dealer said something about my brake components being loose, and if the clunking noise over bumps went away when I had the brakes applied, that was the culprit (which it was not; my crap clunks all day every day).

Does your "clicking" happen just once or it is a rattle/click that happens on uneven roads? That is what I started hearing, then the click turned into this clunk eventually. But again, it has nothing to do with me hitting the brakes on mine. Hope that helps.
So the clicking type noise only ever really rears its head when I'm coming to a stop slowly or when I'm in stop and go type traffic. If I'm going highway speeds and come to a quick stop there is no sound. Uneven road doesn't cause the noise from what I can tell so far. Living in the northeast we have more than our fair share of pot holes and poor roads and I can say sometimes while braking if I go over a divot in the road I will hear the click but I also hear is on perfectly flat surfaces. So I'm not sure if that divot caused that click or if it was just that it was the normal click from braking. The clicking happens multiple times typically from 20 MPH to a stop, I would say worst case is around 3-4 clicks.

Appreciate the input and thankfully it hasn't worsened at all yet.
Seditio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:27 AM   #305
new_to_drift
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316071
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Detroit, MI
Vehicle:
15 WRX Limited
Black

Default

I'm hearing a sort of deep clicking sound, but not quite a clunk if that makes sense. Definitely not as loud as the youtube video about.
Mine is when i'm turning and it sounds like it's coming from the right front.
I have 20mm wheel spacers which I believe are what's causing it, but i'm not exactly sure why. I've taken them off, then torqued back to spec as well as the wheels.

I also have a eibach front sway with end links.

I'm about to just take the spacers off because the sound doesn't instill confidence.

Anyone have similar experience with aftermarket suspension parts?
new_to_drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:17 AM   #306
Thatsubaruguy77
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 448049
Join Date: May 2016
Default

I've got a 2016 wrx with 22k, within the past couple months I've been getting an odd clicking/clunk sound when I pull into parking spots. doesn't happen when making normal turns on streets. Sound only happens when moving too not sitting still. I checked my Eibach springs and they seem fine. I've have it to my local mechanic and he can't find anything. last resort is the dealer, but hesitant with having the springs on.

I'm wondering if it could be a differential issue as it happens at low speeds and when the wheels are turned sharper.
Thatsubaruguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:08 PM   #307
adafoo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 463575
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

Checking in after doing some more troubleshooting. My 2017 WRX has the steering wheel back-and-forth noise and a very pronounced front end clunk. My car is lowered on adjustable coilovers.

I just replaced the steering rack with one from a rear-end collision donor car. The steering wheel back-and-forth noise is gone for now. It is my expectation that this noise will eventually return since it is the same model rack, but this confirms the noise was from the rack.

The very specific and pronounced front end clunk is still there, exactly like before.

The following changes yielded zero improvement to either noise:
- Steering rack spring repair TSB
- Replacing struts with coilovers (this made things worse)
- Adjustable front sway bar end links
- Multiple alignments

Just thinking out loud...there are some areas I have yet to explore. CV axles, engine mounts, miscellaneous bushings/ball joints... differential? I was really hoping the new steering rack would resolve things, but I used this opportunity to do some other upgrades/maintenance. So the effort wasn't completely lost.
adafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:18 AM   #308
SteveJ85
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 481926
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Cleveland
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adafoo View Post
Checking in after doing some more troubleshooting. My 2017 WRX has the steering wheel back-and-forth noise and a very pronounced front end clunk. My car is lowered on adjustable coilovers.

I just replaced the steering rack with one from a rear-end collision donor car. The steering wheel back-and-forth noise is gone for now. It is my expectation that this noise will eventually return since it is the same model rack, but this confirms the noise was from the rack.

The very specific and pronounced front end clunk is still there, exactly like before.

The following changes yielded zero improvement to either noise:
- Steering rack spring repair TSB
- Replacing struts with coilovers (this made things worse)
- Adjustable front sway bar end links
- Multiple alignments

Just thinking out loud...there are some areas I have yet to explore. CV axles, engine mounts, miscellaneous bushings/ball joints... differential? I was really hoping the new steering rack would resolve things, but I used this opportunity to do some other upgrades/maintenance. So the effort wasn't completely lost.
Is your clunk over uneven roads on both front wheels/suspension? Mine has only been on the front right side since this started. Front left wheel is perfectly quiet on all original parts. Only other thing I can think of is sway bar bushings but the dealer had it for over two weeks and triple checked everything. I don't see how the differential could cause this noise only on one side. I can add two things to this...

1) With warmer weather (We get harsh winters, hot summers here) the clunk is still there, but not nearly as bad as when it's below freezing; when it's below freezing, it sounds like my right front wheel is about to just fall off... That tells me there's something expanding with the heat that is semi-dampening the noise- rubber or polymer is most susceptible to that, or maybe it's a lubrication issue somewhere.

2) I first noticed the clunk after switching to all-season tires at about 8k miles, however I think this is just a coincidence, and it took a while the first time for the clunk to get as bad as it is now.
SteveJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:05 PM   #309
Svillen
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 457514
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default

Has anyone tried replacing the top hats with aftermarket ones?
Svillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #310
n2oiroc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141952
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: milwaukee'ish
Vehicle:
16 wrx 17 cx-5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svillen View Post
Has anyone tried replacing the top hats with aftermarket ones?
i have the whiteline top hats and they clunk when backing out of parking spots. unfortunately oem are the best.
n2oiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM   #311
bueckerjl
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 475518
Join Date: Oct 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ85 View Post
Is your clunk over uneven roads on both front wheels/suspension? Mine has only been on the front right side since this started. Front left wheel is perfectly quiet on all original parts. Only other thing I can think of is sway bar bushings but the dealer had it for over two weeks and triple checked everything. I don't see how the differential could cause this noise only on one side. I can add two things to this...

1) With warmer weather (We get harsh winters, hot summers here) the clunk is still there, but not nearly as bad as when it's below freezing; when it's below freezing, it sounds like my right front wheel is about to just fall off... That tells me there's something expanding with the heat that is semi-dampening the noise- rubber or polymer is most susceptible to that, or maybe it's a lubrication issue somewhere.

2) I first noticed the clunk after switching to all-season tires at about 8k miles, however I think this is just a coincidence, and it took a while the first time for the clunk to get as bad as it is now.
I like the idea of ambient temperature affecting whatís causing the noise. I have just the front end rattle over small bumps. Where I live itís been 50įF in the morning and about 90įF in the afternoon. In the morning I can hear the noise but in the evening I cannot. The noise was much worse when the average temps were in the 20s-30s this winter. Rubber compounds will expand about 10x more per degree than steel does. Something could be swelling and dampening the noise when itís warmer or that component is low out of spec and actually causing the noise when itís cooler maybe?
bueckerjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.