Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday October 22, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #1
LampShady
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 479034
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Blue

Default Power Steering Pump? Not OEM?

I've been watching the videos on the whining power steering pump and replacing the o-ring where the hose goes from the reservoir to the pump. I went to attempt that o-ring today, but after removing the shroud over the belts, my PS pump does not have the hose going to the top and instead the side. I've included a picture for reference. I tried to search but I only found a similar thread unanswered. Is this an aftermarket pump? Or not the stock motor? Thanks ahead!

https://imgur.com/a/BmE0J

Last edited by LampShady; 12-24-2017 at 01:52 AM.
LampShady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
Loyale93
Newbie Moderator

Member#: 91347
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
13XV ; 2004 Tacoma ;
2012 Triumph 1050

Whoa... hold on... Let's stop for a second. Are you having trouble with your steering pump or water pump? Those are two totally different things, and you just kind of switched gears there. Pun intended.

"Hey guys. I'm having trouble with my steering pump. I want to replace the O-Ring. When I removed the enginer from my car, I found a weird water pump hose."

Why are you looking at the water pump? maybe I'm missing something. The PS pump is located on top of the engine, and you really shouldn't have to remove all that much to get to it.
Loyale93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:53 AM   #3
LampShady
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Blue

^^^^^^^
My mistake, I pictured the PS pump, accidentally typed water pump.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:33 PM   #4
Unabomber
👏 Big Ron 👏

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

I think you need to farm this out to a professional. One does not wantonly swap out seals on a PS pump sans other information. "Whining" is not a failure mode of an o-ring...leakage is. There is no such thing as an aftermarket pump per se....its either what came with the car or something put on there an there's no such thing as a blingy PS pump. Drop back and punt kid....or come here and write a mega story listing 300% of the details with 20 pictures as it look like you are either sinking on this or know what you are doing but choose to type crap out on your phone with 1 picture while taking a dump.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #5
LampShady
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber View Post
I think you need to farm this out to a professional. One does not wantonly swap out seals on a PS pump sans other information. "Whining" is not a failure mode of an o-ring...leakage is. There is no such thing as an aftermarket pump per se....its either what came with the car or something put on there an there's no such thing as a blingy PS pump. Drop back and punt kid....or come here and write a mega story listing 300% of the details with 20 pictures as it look like you are either sinking on this or know what you are doing but choose to type crap out on your phone with 1 picture while taking a dump.
Woah Teddy calm down, I don't think a typo justifies a bomb in the mail. I guess we have different terminology, but when I say aftermarket PS pump, I meant like an autozone durlast crap or something, I didn't think it had to be flashy or better to be considered aftermarket? I just figured it might be something someone could visually tell the difference right away, since all the youtube video fixes reference this o-ring replacement that my PS pump visually missing or different. But you are correct, I have noticed the hard PS lines wheeping so that could be where the wining is coming from, so I'll probably start there. Also, this is the newb forum right?

Last edited by LampShady; 01-16-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: addition
Old 01-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #6
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21145
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Some PS pumps have the reservoir connection on the top, and some have them on the side, so it depends but the 2002 had them on the side.

It doesn't have to be a different motor to have a pump you were not expecting. The pump may have been replaced, or not.

Even if it was an "aftermarket PS pump", it should look and fit the same so impossible to tell from that one picture. You would have to check over the pump for p/n's and other markings to tell.

The whining is coming from air in the system. Usually you don't get air unless you have a leak somewhere.

Tighten up all the loose connections. Check all the other PS Pump and Reservoir connections. Wipe everything clean.

Fill your reservoir up to @least the MIN COLD line, but no more than the MAX COLD Line when the engine is cold.

Take the car for a ride and get everything warmed up, then come back and check all your connections for leaks again. No point bleeding the system if you still have leaks.

If you have no more leaks, then time to purge the PS pump & system of air.
Multiple videos on how to do that.
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #7
LampShady
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
Some PS pumps have the reservoir connection on the top, and some have them on the side, so it depends but the 2002 had them on the side.

It doesn't have to be a different motor to have a pump you were not expecting. The pump may have been replaced, or not.

Even if it was an "aftermarket PS pump", it should look and fit the same so impossible to tell from that one picture. You would have to check over the pump for p/n's and other markings to tell.

The whining is coming from air in the system. Usually you don't get air unless you have a leak somewhere.

Tighten up all the loose connections. Check all the other PS Pump and Reservoir connections. Wipe everything clean.

Fill your reservoir up to @least the MIN COLD line, but no more than the MAX COLD Line when the engine is cold.

Take the car for a ride and get everything warmed up, then come back and check all your connections for leaks again. No point bleeding the system if you still have leaks.

If you have no more leaks, then time to purge the PS pump & system of air.
Multiple videos on how to do that.
Thank you for the info!