Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday October 20, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-10-2018, 11:19 PM   #1
arndttyler9
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 480082
Default 05 wrx sway bar questions *help*

I have an 05 wrx. I want to up grade my suspension along with the sway bars specifically. I want to go with whiteline for sure for the sway bars,because I already have ball joints and tie rods from them and they are amazing, what size should I go with that would also be good for street use? Any help is appreciated
arndttyler9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21145
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

" What size should I go with? "

Pretty hard to answer that one unless you tell us what you want to do with the car.

A good street combination is 22mm Front and 22mm Rear.
Makes a big improvement and still allows the suspension enough flex to cover most road irregularities.

As you go stiffer ( thicker bar ) the suspension becomes less forgiving as you go over bumps, potholes, speed bumps, dips, etc.
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #3
Loyale93
Newbie Moderator

Member#: 91347
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
13XV ; 2004 Tacoma ;
2012 Triumph 1050

If you call your Whiteline supplier or local shop, they can help you with this. That will be a much better resource, as they are a local supplier and likely more familiar with the roads in your area.

Please fill in your profile.
Loyale93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
cmiovino
Scooby Guru

Member#: 134005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Premium
PSM

My recommendation would be 22 or 24mm front, 22mm adj rear... then tune to rear to how it matches the front. Contrary to poplar belief, running a larger bar than stock up front doesn't produce understeer. It actually helps with front end grip at the limit by giving your tires the chance to work correctly and keep them as flat as possible.

Everyone wants to go with some massive bar in the rear because "I want more oversteer". Not always the quickest way or safest way around a corner.

My taste is towards autocross setups, so people normally run 24mm in the front. I've even heard 27, but I think that's a bit overkill and people should be running stiffer springs at that point. Sometimes your class only allows one swaybar change and not springs.

I digress though - 22 front, 22 rear should be a solid point for the street. I would highly recommend swapping out the springs for the street even as the stock WRX in that year as really soft spring rates. 165lbs front I believe. STI take offs won't lower your car much at all, but give it a firm, but complacent ride with stock or stock replacement struts. I didn't find them overly sprung.
cmiovino is offline   Reply With Quote