Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 18, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2017, 08:36 PM   #226
EngineHacker
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 462060
Join Date: Jan 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckym View Post
Can't seem to find 2332 on their website. High-tech 5w40 i found is 3863. Is it the same?
https://products.liqui-moly.us/leich...e-5w-40-2.html

https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-23.../dp/B00LIC29H6
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
EngineHacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:40 PM   #227
saikitjk
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 434048
Join Date: Nov 2015
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle Area
Vehicle:
2016 Subaru WRX
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineHacker View Post
Yes, but if you can find something cheaper then go that route. No need to get anal retentive about oil in a stock car.
would you please recommend some 5w30 options other than Liqui Moly 5w40? 18 STI completely stock and having hard time decide between amsoil and liquid moly.
saikitjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:37 AM   #228
iMagnus
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 473347
Join Date: Aug 2017
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Middle Earth
Vehicle:
2011 STi Lim
Hi-Ho Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikitjk View Post
would you please recommend some 5w30 options other than Liqui Moly 5w40? 18 STI completely stock and having hard time decide between amsoil and liquid moly.
I had posted this in another forum, but here it seems just as relevant.

For 100% (true) full synthetic oils.

Quoting from: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ttela-syn.html

You have to look for the CAS number (found in the MSDS sheet) to somewhat decipher the base oil composition.

Hydroisomerized Group III Base oils:
Gas Oils, (Petroleum) Vacuum, Hydrocracked, Hydroisomerized, Hydrogenated C15-C30: CAS # 178603-64-0
Gas Oils (Petroleum), Vacuum, Hydrocracked, Hydroisomerized, Hydrogenated, C20-C40: CAS # 178603-65-1
Gas Oils (Petroleum), Vacuum, Hydrocracked, Hydroisomerized, Hydrogenated C25-C55: CAS # 178603-66-2
Also:
Middle Distillate, Hydrotreated: CAS # 64742-46-7
Distillates, Petroleum Hydrotreated Heavy Naphthenic: CAS # 64742-52-5
Petroleum Distillates, Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic CAS # 64742-54-7
Lubricating Oils (Petroleum), Hydrotreated C20-C50, Neutral Oil-Based: CAS # 72623-85-9
Lubricating Oils (Petroelum), Hydrotreated C15-C30, Neutral Oil-based: CAS # 72623-86-0 Coupons
Lubricating Oils (Petroleum), Hydrotreated C20-C50, CAS # 72623-87-1
White Mineral Oil, CAS # 8042-47-5
PAO's (Group 4 oils): 68649-12-7, 68037-01-4, 163149-29-9, 151006-63-2, 151006-62-1, 151006-60-9. VII's of +155 or greater

Diester (Group 5 oils): 28472-97-1; VII's average +170.

It used to be that the Group IV and Group V base oils were really the only synthetics. Now the highly refined hydroisomerized Gas oils are considered synthetics.
iMagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:55 PM   #229
bluesubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 767
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: N.J.
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMagnus View Post
I had posted this in another forum, but here it seems just as relevant.



For 100% (true) full synthetic oils.



Quoting from: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ttela-syn.html



You have to look for the CAS number (found in the MSDS sheet) to somewhat decipher the base oil composition.



Hydroisomerized Group III Base oils:

Gas Oils, (Petroleum) Vacuum, Hydrocracked, Hydroisomerized, Hydrogenated C15-C30: CAS # 178603-64-0

Gas Oils (Petroleum), Vacuum, Hydrocracked, Hydroisomerized, Hydrogenated, C20-C40: CAS # 178603-65-1

Gas Oils (Petroleum), Vacuum, Hydrocracked, Hydroisomerized, Hydrogenated C25-C55: CAS # 178603-66-2

Also:

Middle Distillate, Hydrotreated: CAS # 64742-46-7

Distillates, Petroleum Hydrotreated Heavy Naphthenic: CAS # 64742-52-5

Petroleum Distillates, Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic CAS # 64742-54-7

Lubricating Oils (Petroleum), Hydrotreated C20-C50, Neutral Oil-Based: CAS # 72623-85-9

Lubricating Oils (Petroelum), Hydrotreated C15-C30, Neutral Oil-based: CAS # 72623-86-0 Coupons

Lubricating Oils (Petroleum), Hydrotreated C20-C50, CAS # 72623-87-1

White Mineral Oil, CAS # 8042-47-5

PAO's (Group 4 oils): 68649-12-7, 68037-01-4, 163149-29-9, 151006-63-2, 151006-62-1, 151006-60-9. VII's of +155 or greater



Diester (Group 5 oils): 28472-97-1; VII's average +170.



It used to be that the Group IV and Group V base oils were really the only synthetics. Now the highly refined hydroisomerized Gas oils are considered synthetics.


And I'll post my same response here in case anyone missed my response in the Oil FAQ thread.

Thank you for an 8 year old thread where they cannot spell the oil they're discussing (sorry, my grammar police hat is on).

An MSDS isn't a complete list of ingredients in motor oil. It only lists the hazardous substances. Most oil blenders these days blend various base stocks to create a finished product. So just because you find Group III, IV, or V base stocks in an MSDS does not mean that the oil is 100% composed of that base stock, only that the base stock was used. It's rare that any oil these days uses just one of any base stock regardless of their marketing.

At the time of that thread, Shell had confirmed that their Rotella T6 used Group III Shell XHVI base stock (not 100% positive on the 15W40). Good RT6 UOA's all over the internet show that it's the specs that matter most and not the base stocks used. Now Shell is moving to the Group III Gas to Liquid base stocks which meet or beat Group IV PAO's in some areas.

Remember, it's the finished product and the specs that an oil meets that matter most. The most demanding specs in the world (MB, Porsche) can be met using Group III base stocks. Welcome to the 21st Century!
bluesubie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:22 PM   #230
Rowrx11
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 338312
Join Date: Nov 2012
Default

How about motul 300v 5w40 for 2017 wrx sti ?
Rowrx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:13 PM   #231
bluesubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 767
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: N.J.
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowrx11 View Post
How about motul 300v 5w40 for 2017 wrx sti ?


Great oil although it carries no API approvals if that's a concern. It has enough detergents/dispersants to do about a 5k mile interval (maybe up to 6k miles depending on conditions).
bluesubie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #232
Rowrx11
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 338312
Join Date: Nov 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
Great oil although it carries no API approvals if that's a concern. It has enough detergents/dispersants to do about a 5k mile interval (maybe up to 6k miles depending on conditions).
I understand the manual says 5w30, but I'm finishing the break in period ( 1000 miles ). I think motul 300v 5w40 is better than 5w30 from subaru, what I want to know, will I have any problems with this oil? Stock 2017 wrx sti.
Rowrx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:04 AM   #233
bluesubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 767
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: N.J.
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowrx11 View Post
I understand the manual says 5w30, but I'm finishing the break in period ( 1000 miles ). I think motul 300v 5w40 is better than 5w30 from subaru, what I want to know, will I have any problems with this oil? Stock 2017 wrx sti.

Problems with the oil or problems from the dealer/SoA in case of a Powertrain Warranty claim?

See section 7 above:
Street/Track Oils
These oils are designed for use in street cars which see heavy track day use. They maintain some levels of detergent additives and TBN for use on the street but shift their focus as much as possible toward track use. They may be appropriate for heavy use in a street car, but are generally expensive and unnecessary. Examples include Red Line (regular series), Valvoline VR1 and Motul 300V.

You won't have problems with the oil itself but you may run into problems trying to get warranty coverage. As I mentioned, 300V carries no API approvals so it depends on your dealer and what your receipts show if you have a claim. Motul X-cess does carry API and Euro builder certifications.

If you just want to run 300V, you could actually run the 5W30 in a stock STI. Due to ester base stocks, higher anti-wear additive package, and high HTHS, it's a completely different animal than the Subaru oil or any GF5 5W30.

See Section 3 above:

High Temperature-High Shear Viscosity (HT/HS)
HT/HS is a measure of dynamic viscosity, it represents the oilís thickness within the vital hydrodynamic bearings of an engine. It is the most important measure of how well the oil will perform as a hydrodynamic lubricant. HT/HS is measured at 150įC (302įF) which is a worst-case temperature for most engines. The higher the HT/HS, the stronger the hydrodynamic film in the engineís bearings. Thus, the correct HT/HS is more important than the KV100 (SAE Grade) when selecting oil. If the oil formulator publishes their HT/HS it's best to ignore the grade and KV100 and base your choice on the HT/HS. As we will see later, different industry specs categorizing motor oil are based in large part on HT/HS and those specifications will tell us much about the oil's HT/HS even if the formulator doesn't publish a specific value.
bluesubie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #234
Rowrx11
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 338312
Join Date: Nov 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
Problems with the oil or problems from the dealer/SoA in case of a Powertrain Warranty claim?

See section 7 above:
Street/Track Oils
These oils are designed for use in street cars which see heavy track day use. They maintain some levels of detergent additives and TBN for use on the street but shift their focus as much as possible toward track use. They may be appropriate for heavy use in a street car, but are generally expensive and unnecessary. Examples include Red Line (regular series), Valvoline VR1 and Motul 300V.

You won't have problems with the oil itself but you may run into problems trying to get warranty coverage. As I mentioned, 300V carries no API approvals so it depends on your dealer and what your receipts show if you have a claim. Motul X-cess does carry API and Euro builder certifications.

If you just want to run 300V, you could actually run the 5W30 in a stock STI. Due to ester base stocks, higher anti-wear additive package, and high HTHS, it's a completely different animal than the Subaru oil or any GF5 5W30.

See Section 3 above:

High Temperature-High Shear Viscosity (HT/HS)
HT/HS is a measure of dynamic viscosity, it represents the oilís thickness within the vital hydrodynamic bearings of an engine. It is the most important measure of how well the oil will perform as a hydrodynamic lubricant. HT/HS is measured at 150įC (302įF) which is a worst-case temperature for most engines. The higher the HT/HS, the stronger the hydrodynamic film in the engineís bearings. Thus, the correct HT/HS is more important than the KV100 (SAE Grade) when selecting oil. If the oil formulator publishes their HT/HS it's best to ignore the grade and KV100 and base your choice on the HT/HS. As we will see later, different industry specs categorizing motor oil are based in large part on HT/HS and those specifications will tell us much about the oil's HT/HS even if the formulator doesn't publish a specific value.
Perfect ! I think Motul X-cess 5w40 or 5w30 is the way to go for my stock 2017 wrx sti.
Rowrx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:23 AM   #235
Scuubz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 474274
Join Date: Sep 2017
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Northern Illinois
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Wagon
WRB

Default

So Iíve recently joined NASIOC and my MY08 WRX Wagon is my first turbo car. Iíve been taking some advice from my friend with an EVO8, B5S4 and RB25 S14 about the turbo life. He uses Liqui-Moly and we both recently discovered MolyGen from them. Itís 5W40 and sounds like a synthetic blend because it claims to have a synthetic base. Reason I ask is because itís friction modifier is also viewable under UV light for those sneaky leaks. Anyone try this yet? Was gonna buy some this weekend.
Scuubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:18 AM   #236
bluesubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 767
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: N.J.
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default The NASIOC Oil Selection Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuubz View Post
So Iíve recently joined NASIOC and my MY08 WRX Wagon is my first turbo car. Iíve been taking some advice from my friend with an EVO8, B5S4 and RB25 S14 about the turbo life. He uses Liqui-Moly and we both recently discovered MolyGen from them. Itís 5W40 and sounds like a synthetic blend because it claims to have a synthetic base. Reason I ask is because itís friction modifier is also viewable under UV light for those sneaky leaks. Anyone try this yet? Was gonna buy some this weekend.


I did some searching and cannot find the specific details of LM's friction modifier. All oils contain FM's whether molybdenum, antimony (only in a few oils) or a non-metallic FM that doesn't show up in uoa's.

I doubt that you can see the actual FM with a UV light. The oil itself is green which is the result of additives, but I'd like to see more details about it being the FM. The only thing that I can find is just marketing fluff and most videos are in German.

Oils that use Infineum as their additive company (there are only 4 or 5 additive companies in the world) are likely using Tri Nuclear Moly as the FM:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=2265014

http://elit-oil.io.ua/files/0001/21/00012167.pdf

Castrol 0W40 at Wal-Mart for ~$25 meets most of the same specs as MolyGen (API SN, Porsche A40, MB 229.5, VW502, BMW LL- 01, etc) so I'd be curious to know more about LM's kewl new friction modifier. ???

If you do pick up MolyGen please do a VOA with TBN and perhaps the FM will show up in the VOA. Use Oil Analyzers Inc through Amsoil since they show more additives and include TBN for a cheaper price than Blackstone.

Last edited by bluesubie; 10-12-2017 at 08:27 AM.
bluesubie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #237
Hyper
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 15822
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MOCKBA
Vehicle:
1999 WRB GM6
2.12cc V9 Type RA

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
is there any general rule how much every +10 oil weight increases the pressure by?


going from 10w40 to 20w60 on loose mains has given me approx 1 bar of pressure
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:16 PM   #238
bluesubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 767
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: N.J.
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
going from 10w40 to 20w60 on loose mains has given me approx 1 bar of pressure


HTHS has a bigger impact on oil pressure than oil grade does. If you compare a 5W30 with a high HTHS to a 5W40 with a lower HTHS, the 5W30 will usually provide higher pressure. And whether or not an oil maintains the same oil pressure over the entire interval depends on a number of factors.
bluesubie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:25 PM   #239
Scuubz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 474274
Join Date: Sep 2017
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Northern Illinois
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Wagon
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
I did some searching and cannot find the specific details of LM's friction modifier. All oils contain FM's whether molybdenum, antimony (only in a few oils) or a non-metallic FM that doesn't show up in uoa's.

I doubt that you can see the actual FM with a UV light. The oil itself is green which is the result of additives, but I'd like to see more details about it being the FM. The only thing that I can find is just marketing fluff and most videos are in German.

Oils that use Infineum as their additive company (there are only 4 or 5 additive companies in the world) are likely using Tri Nuclear Moly as the FM:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=2265014

http://elit-oil.io.ua/files/0001/21/00012167.pdf

Castrol 0W40 at Wal-Mart for ~$25 meets most of the same specs as MolyGen (API SN, Porsche A40, MB 229.5, VW502, BMW LL- 01, etc) so I'd be curious to know more about LM's kewl new friction modifier. ???

If you do pick up MolyGen please do a VOA with TBN and perhaps the FM will show up in the VOA. Use Oil Analyzers Inc through Amsoil since they show more additives and include TBN for a cheaper price than Blackstone.


Sweet! I think Iíll order it all just to help out if nothing else.
Scuubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.