Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday November 29, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-24-2019, 03:47 AM   #1
Fahrenheit85
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 488754
Default Best fluids options for rear diff and front transaxle on '19 WRX

My '19 WRX is getting close to 20k on it, I spent an embarrassing amount of time researching engine oil on bob the oil guy before settling on one (Pennzoil Plat 5/30 incase you were wondering). I'm not so sure I have the mental fortitude to go down that road again and i'm hoping someone here can just tell me what to use so my wife doesn't make me sleep on the sofa because I mumble UOA results in my sleep. Was thinking i'd do 20k intervals for it though that might be often, not super sure on that. Any input would be delightful, thanks for reading.
Fahrenheit85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2019, 06:03 PM   #2
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 123843
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2016 STI LTD CWP
Let LED's light your way!

Use Motul Motyl-Gear 75W-80 for the transmission/front differential and Motul Gear-300 for the rear differential.
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:45 AM   #3
Fahrenheit85
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-E View Post
Use Motul Motyl-Gear 75W-80 for the transmission/front differential and Motul Gear-300 for the rear differential.

Any reason for 75W-80 over 75W-90? Also what weight for the rear?
Old 11-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #4
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 767
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
04 FXT
20 OB Onyx XT

Interesting that you ended up choosing a GF5 oil after research on BITOG. The 20 weight uoa’s usually scare most people away. Check out the Rotella MV 5W-30 discussions there.
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:18 AM   #5
Fahrenheit85
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
Interesting that you ended up choosing a GF5 oil after research on BITOG. The 20 weight uoa’s usually scare most people away. Check out the Rotella MV 5W-30 discussions there.
Please god don't do this to me, I spent so much time on engine oil, I was under the impression the Penn Plat would be the best to help with the carbon buildup in direct injected engines, at least for oils I could pick up at Wally World. I run 5/30 in my car
Old 11-26-2019, 08:58 AM   #6
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 767
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
04 FXT
20 OB Onyx XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit85 View Post
Please god don't do this to me, I spent so much time on engine oil, I was under the impression the Penn Plat would be the best to help with the carbon buildup in direct injected engines, at least for oils I could pick up at Wally World. I run 5/30 in my car

Yes, good oil and any API SN+ dexos 1 Gen 2 oil will help mitigate carbon build up, but anything with an HTHS of less than 3.5 typically shears to a 20 grade. Look for the 2015+ WRX thread here on nasioc. But as far as UOA wear goes, stock WRX’s still show low numbers with high fuel contamination and low viscosity. Probably depends on your application.

Here’s a Rotella MV uoa from an FXT.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...-km-4500-miles
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:21 PM   #7
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 123843
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2016 STI LTD CWP
Let LED's light your way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit85 View Post
Any reason for 75W-80 over 75W-90? Also what weight for the rear?
If you have an automatic, based on my delving into the FSM's, the front differential requires 75w-80. With regard to the new 2015+ WRX manual transmission, it also should take the 75w-80. I went out of my way to figure this out for a friend that has a 2015 WRX and this is what I used. After the change of fluid, I noted no difference in shifting or related, the shifting was smooth.

With regard to the rear differential, I did not specify the weight, only the brand. The Motul Gear-300 is a 75w-90.

Depending on ambient temperature or use, you can use a 90-weight in the rear differential.

With regard to engine oil, whether it was for my 2006 WRX, our 2015 FXT or our 2016 STI, I use Schaeffer 9000 synthetic 5w-40.
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:30 PM   #8
Jersey Man10
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 427632
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
Satin White Pearl

Pretty sure the intervals are 30k no?
Jersey Man10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #9
raisingAnarchy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 408438
Vehicle:
2016 WRX STi
CBS

Just get an oil sample from a reputable place like DysonAnalysis. You're sitting there doing all this research and what you'll find is you still probably don't know squat (I've been there myself, trust me).

It'll cost you the same doing high $ analysis (Dyson) as it would just switching to Motul and using arbitrary OCIs with no expert opinion anyway.
raisingAnarchy is offline   Reply With Quote