Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday May 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2024, 07:07 PM   #26
YungBoba
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Anaheim
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
I don't know how I missed this post before.


That's all that I was getting at about the Wilderness. It doesn't have the ground clearance of the Outback for that one reason. Which DOES affect it's ability to do this or that. And many people pick the Forester for that visibility. Sooo many complaints over the years of the competitors bad to horrible visibility and how much more they like the Forester because it's better.
I can attest to this.

I'm cross-shopping the Forester and CX-5 currently. Spent a bit of time in both doing test drives and the thing that bugs me about the CX-5 the most is the poor visibility. The C pillar is huge, the rear hatch window is tiny, and the A-pillars are long and positioned in a way such that I'd have to really poke my head to the left or right of it to watch for pedestrians/bikes/etc. as I turn. The gauge cluster hump is also quite large and obtrusive. The Forester is a greenhouse and I love it for that.

Everything else about the CX-5 is mostly great. Way nicer interior materials, better sound system, powertrain is more lively (make no mistake, both of them are still turds), it looks a bit more elegant, etc. If it had the same visibility the Forester did, I would take it in an instant, but as of now I'm still undecided and honestly leaning Forester for a variety of other reasons.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
YungBoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 05-20-2024, 11:03 AM   #27
20WRX20
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 520469
Join Date: Nov 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Drift View Post
Do you really want cars to be taller? I get more ground clearance, but overall heigh should be low for better CG. Subaru's ridiculous greenhouse (it was so bad in 2008) is way too tall. They need high belt lines, and low slung roofs. To hell with visibility.
High belt lines and low roofs? Hell no. I want my car to be ergonomically functional. I want to be able to see out of it. I donít want my car to look like something out of a comic book. One of the best things about the WRX is the ergonomics and visibility.

Ever drive a 5th or 6th gen Camaro? Looks great in the parking lot. Absolutely horrible from an ergo standpoint. Quite possibly one of the worst cars to drive due to the visibility. It gets old fast.
20WRX20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 11:15 AM   #28
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
23 Solterra,ModelY
Old: 05 08 11 WRX, 18 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20WRX20 View Post
High belt lines and low roofs? Hell no. I want my car to be ergonomically functional. I want to be able to see out of it. I donít want my car to look like something out of a comic book. One of the best things about the WRX is the ergonomics and visibility.

Ever drive a 5th or 6th gen Camaro? Looks great in the parking lot. Absolutely horrible from an ergo standpoint. Quite possibly one of the worst cars to drive due to the visibility. It gets old fast.
I hear you on extremes, but the WRX and other Subarus have had so much excess headroom since 2008.
Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 11:29 AM   #29
20WRX20
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 520469
Join Date: Nov 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Drift View Post
I hear you on extremes, but the WRX and other Subarus have had so much excess headroom since 2008.
Iíll have to check when Iím driving mine again but I donít recall there being that much excess headroom. One thing I do love about the car is how much room is in the back seats. Itís fun driving people around, they always comment on how roomy it is back there lol. Obviously a hatch would be best but I love how much room the car has for technically being a compact car.
20WRX20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 11:42 AM   #30
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2020 JEEP / RAM
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
I'll watch almost any other review other than these two. Other than surfer/valleygirl "like voices like you know that like voice, right?" upspeak, I cannot stand nasal speech. Their cadence and lack of capability to control their volume (not speaking from the diaphragm, but instead just the upper register) is a total turn off. Come off as rich spoiled brat upbringing mailing it in.

Yes. Get off my lawn.
I have always liked you.

SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 11:55 AM   #31
WRX4US
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 162846
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungBoba View Post
I can attest to this.

I'm cross-shopping the Forester and CX-5 currently. Spent a bit of time in both doing test drives and the thing that bugs me about the CX-5 the most is the poor visibility. The C pillar is huge, the rear hatch window is tiny, and the A-pillars are long and positioned in a way such that I'd have to really poke my head to the left or right of it to watch for pedestrians/bikes/etc. as I turn. The gauge cluster hump is also quite large and obtrusive. The Forester is a greenhouse and I love it for that.

Everything else about the CX-5 is mostly great. Way nicer interior materials, better sound system, powertrain is more lively (make no mistake, both of them are still turds), it looks a bit more elegant, etc. If it had the same visibility the Forester did, I would take it in an instant, but as of now I'm still undecided and honestly leaning Forester for a variety of other reasons.
Iím ticked off about a lot Subaru decisions. But, I really have to tip my hat to them when it comes to real life visibility. They seem to constantly get it right.
WRX4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 12:46 PM   #32
RobM
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 177056
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary, Canada
Vehicle:
2020 CX-5 Turbo
2015 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Drift View Post
I hear you on extremes, but the WRX and other Subarus have had so much excess headroom since 2008.
Those of us over 6í4Ē would like to disagree on any claims of excessive headroom.
RobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 01:19 PM   #33
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

That's an exceptional height for a Japanese manufacturer to consider.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 03:15 PM   #34
WRX4US
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 162846
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
That's an exceptional height for a Japanese manufacturer to consider.
But their biggest market is here.
WRX4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 04:19 PM   #35
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX4US View Post
But their biggest market is here.
I considered that in my comment. I still think 6' 4" is exceptional for a Japanese manufacturer to consider. Now, if a 6' 4" person can't fit comfortably in a European vehicle, then I'd be concerned. My sister and my nephews are tall, the tallest being 6' 7", and they've only ever owned European and luxury American vehicles. I'm 5' 8" and don't like vehicles that are too big, so Japanese manufacturers get my primary consideration.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 06:01 PM   #36
YungBoba
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Anaheim
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

I'm 5'6" on a good day. 95% of the time it sucks being this short, but I appreciate my height (or lack thereof) when it comes to car stuff because I never have an issue with legroom or headroom. Same with flying, while many people struggle in economy class seats, I do just fine.
YungBoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 06:30 PM   #37
Apb_pools
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 534487
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Arizona, USA
Vehicle:
22 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
Those of us over 6í4Ē would like to disagree on any claims of excessive headroom.
6í7Ē+ here no sunroof and never been any issue in my wrx.
Apb_pools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 09:38 PM   #38
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
23 Solterra,ModelY
Old: 05 08 11 WRX, 18 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
Those of us over 6'4" would like to disagree on any claims of excessive headroom.
I mean, that's not common haha. Let's call 6' average. There's a ton of excess headroom.

You might not fit in a Giulia haha. I only had a few inches of headroom.
Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 11:31 AM   #39
WRX4US
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 162846
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Drift View Post
I mean, that's not common haha. Let's call 6' average. There's a ton of excess headroom.

You might not fit in a Giulia haha. I only had a few inches of headroom.
https://www.worlddata.info/average-b...oogle_vignette
WRX4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 12:29 PM   #40
Apb_pools
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 534487
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Arizona, USA
Vehicle:
22 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX4US View Post
Lets just say i am from 2 of those top 5 countries, or 5 out of top 11 last name rhymes with Doncic or Jokic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Drift View Post
I mean, that's not common haha. Let's call 6' average. There's a ton of excess headroom.

You might not fit in a Giulia haha. I only had a few inches of headroom.
Also at 6'7"+ I fit into a 2018 giulia q2 no problem whatsover, it has no sunroof though.
Apb_pools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 01:17 PM   #41
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
23 Solterra,ModelY
Old: 05 08 11 WRX, 18 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX4US View Post
5'8" is average in the US? That means there is a truly excessive amount of headroom for the average male in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apb_pools View Post
Lets just say i am from 2 of those top 5 countries, or 5 out of top 11 last name rhymes with Doncic or Jokic.


Also at 6'7"+ I fit into a 2018 giulia q2 no problem whatsover, it has no sunroof though.
Sunroof takes a couple inches away. Also depends on how angled your seat is, etc. With a sunroof, upright position and my chair to the floor w/ a few clicks up, I have about 2.5" of headroom in the Giulia.
Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 09:30 PM   #42
SoDealer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67960
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Drift View Post
5'8" is average in the US? That means there is a truly excessive amount of headroom for the average male in the US.
1.77m is 5'9" almost 5'10"
SoDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 09:31 AM   #43
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
23 Solterra,ModelY
Old: 05 08 11 WRX, 18 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDealer View Post
1.77m is 5'9" almost 5'10"
Thank you. I was mistaking 5.8' to be 5'8".

Still, not tall. I stand by my point, the amount of headroom in modern Subarus is a lot. I recall my 2005 and 2008 being very different in terms of greenhouse.
Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 10:53 PM   #44
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
95&96 Sambar 06 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Drift View Post
Thank you. I was mistaking 5.8' to be 5'8".

Still, not tall. I stand by my point, the amount of headroom in modern Subarus is a lot. I recall my 2005 and 2008 being very different in terms of greenhouse.



And it's made a HUGE difference when it comes to the customer. Before the switch to focus on USDM, it was a near daily thing to lose a tall customer. Shoot, one of them wasn't even head room. With the seat all the way back, his knees would get hit by the cruise control stalk. Just a couple months later, the 2008s came out and moved that to the thumb position as they are now. His timing was just a bit off. But, since all the models made the switch? I can't think of a single one.
JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 10:08 AM   #45
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
23 Solterra,ModelY
Old: 05 08 11 WRX, 18 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
And it's made a HUGE difference when it comes to the customer. Before the switch to focus on USDM, it was a near daily thing to lose a tall customer. Shoot, one of them wasn't even head room. With the seat all the way back, his knees would get hit by the cruise control stalk. Just a couple months later, the 2008s came out and moved that to the thumb position as they are now. His timing was just a bit off. But, since all the models made the switch? I can't think of a single one.
Not asking for Japanese-cetric cars. I get it, the GD and all the other cars in the line up were on the small side, but we don't need a massive bubble over our heads. At 6'1 it always felt like too much space.
Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 11:12 AM   #46
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
95&96 Sambar 06 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Drift View Post
Not asking for Japanese-cetric cars. I get it, the GD and all the other cars in the line up were on the small side, but we don't need a massive bubble over our heads. At 6'1 it always felt like too much space.
Friendly sarcasm here........go buy another car that has less space!!

I'm just glad I don't have to apologize to customers anymore about not enough space. Which was a regular thing back when we sold only 190 cars a year at this retailer versus 1800 now between us and our young sister store. Subaru made the right move and has reaped that reward.
JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 12:26 PM   #47
SoDealer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67960
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Drift View Post
Not asking for Japanese-cetric cars. I get it, the GD and all the other cars in the line up were on the small side, but we don't need a massive bubble over our heads. At 6'1 it always felt like too much space.
a person's absolute height isn't the only consideration. % torso to legs varies amongst people even of the same height. Subaru's tall roofline continued to all for more compact dimensions on the outside than competitive cars while still allowing for good leg and headroom with great visibility.
SoDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 12:36 PM   #48
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
23 Solterra,ModelY
Old: 05 08 11 WRX, 18 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
Friendly sarcasm here........go buy another car that has less space!!
<--- WRX was the only option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDealer View Post
a person's absolute height isn't the only consideration. % torso to legs varies amongst people even of the same height. Subaru's tall roofline continued to all for more compact dimensions on the outside than competitive cars while still allowing for good leg and headroom with great visibility.
That is true, but I have long limbs and torso. Oh well, it's just my opinion.
Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2024 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission
Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.