Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday April 23, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-20-2018, 05:43 PM   #3351
ITLXLR8
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 394523
Vehicle:
2018 Wrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagerbombs View Post
I haven't checked this forum since I did my first oil change on my new '16 WRX. At that time Mobil 1 ESP or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum were determined to be the two best and I have been using Mobil 1 ESP ever since, changing it anywhere from 3-4k. I have yet to ever to an oil analysis on it, but I haven't had any issues with it. I'd same I'm fairly tame when I drive. I drive fast, but I don't break into boost much unless I need it (after the oil is hot enough).

I was just checking back to see if there were any new oils that have performed better than the Mobil 1 ESP that I've been using?
Sometimes the less you know the better. As things like this may make someone paranoid.

I'm no expert but as long as you change your oil religiously, then you can run whatever top name brand and have be fine.

Although i would get a UOA done on your current oil, just to see what's going on. Then you can base your future oil purchases/oil intervals according to what the report says. A report is only a guide, it doesn't mean it's the end all be all of your engine's health. Not to mention blackstone has been known to make mistakes. So take that into consideration too.

M1 ESP is a good oil. Then again i might be biased because all my cars have M1 in them.
ITLXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2018, 07:14 PM   #3352
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 767
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default 2015 WRX Used Oil Analysis Thread

I agree with ITLXLR8. I would never use uoa’s to determine which oil is “better” but a new and possibly lower priced option is API SN Shell Rotella 5W-30 Multi-Vehicle. It’s available through NAPA and O’Reilly’s.

Another reduced SAPS option coming soon will be Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP which is the factory fill for the 2019 Corvette. Oddly enough though the HTHS of 5W-30 ESP is a tad higher.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...SP_vs_0w40_ESP
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:20 PM   #3353
CoffeeBlacker
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 482592

CoffeeBlacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:58 PM   #3354
ITLXLR8
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 394523
Vehicle:
2018 Wrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
I agree with ITLXLR8. I would never use uoa’s to determine which oil is “better” but a new and possibly lower priced option is API SN Shell Rotella 5W-30 Multi-Vehicle. It’s available through NAPA and O’Reilly’s.

Another reduced SAPS option coming soon will be Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP which is the factory fill for the 2019 Corvette. Oddly enough though the HTHS of 5W-30 ESP is a tad higher.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...SP_vs_0w40_ESP
I already ordered my fill cap that says mobil 1 0w-40 lol. Even though i do all my oil changes anyway.

Dealer still doesn't have it in stock oddly. I can't wait for this to become readily available. My summer oil change for the C7Z is soon approaching.
ITLXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM   #3355
LedDriver
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 451791
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Dark Gray

This is on Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w-40. Considering the viscosity I'm wondering if 10w-40 might be better. I've run the 5w-40 because that's what IAG recommends/warranty.

Last edited by LedDriver; Yesterday at 07:36 AM.
LedDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:06 AM   #3356
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 767
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedDriver View Post
This is on Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w-40. Considering the viscosity I'm wondering if 10w-40 might be better. I've run the 5w-40 because that's what IAG recommends/warranty.
I think you’re fine with X-Cess but keep an eye on Fe and Al. If those don’t start dropping soon then you might want to consider the 10W-40. Probably best to go with their recommendation for now to maintain the warranty.
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote