Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 8, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club Forum sponsored by Annapolis Subaru
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-29-2020, 06:32 PM   #1
tomatoxflames
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 510454
Default Grinding/rattling sound coming from near transmission

Hello all. Ive scoured the forums for a couple days trying to find the answer to where my grinding/rattling sound is coming from. The closest Ive come across is maybe a bad center dif.

I have a 2004 WRX. Only mods are a Perrin flywheel (the crankshaft pulley whatever its called), COBB turbo back exhaust, stage 2 accessport and air oil separator.

Heres the order of what happened and the problem:
-Was sitting in the drive thru of Arbys last week and the alternator belt started squeaking. Crap, it must have been loose after i replaced it the week before, so I tightened it and the squeak went away.
-On the drive home there was a very loud grind/rattle coming from underneath the car, right near the back of the transmission and seemed like it was just off center towards the passenger side. It happens during decel, when the clutch is pushed in and under light acceleration (like cruising down the road). It goes away under heavy acceleration and is only really noticeable between 2k-4k RPMS.

Ive tightened down the exhaust and every other bolt under the car and its still there and driving me crazy.

Heres a video that helps show how it sounds. You can hear it best at 0:25 seconds in.
tomatoxflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #2
mailnome
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 235305
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2002 blob swap wrx
was wrb

Could be the trans output shaft bearings. I noticed the output shaft had a huge amount of play in it when doing the output seal and probably the reason the seal was leaking.

They say they are basically a wear item. Iím surprised I made it to almost 300k on them.

I noticed mine with the drive shaft out but you may be able to see if there play just by getting underneath there and try to move the end of the driveshaft right at the trans.

This is the bearing thatís on the other end of the shaft that goes into the driveshaft.

A little rubbing from the output shaft

Last edited by mailnome; 05-10-2020 at 09:45 AM.
mailnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:44 AM   #3
tomatoxflames
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 510454

After checking the driveshaft, there's very little if no play in it which leads me to believe that it's either the motor mounts or the flywheel/flexplate.
Installed torque solutions solid billet mounts, and oh boy, there's so much NVH that it's tough to hear or feel anything above the sound of the car wanting to rattle and shake itself apart. So I went ahead and ordered the group N mounts which I'm hoping will finally solve the issue.
I'll report back once they're in later this week.
tomatoxflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:50 AM   #4
mailnome
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 blob swap wrx
was wrb

Lol, yeah solid mounts will do that.

Last edited by mailnome; 05-10-2020 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:34 PM   #5
mailnome
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 blob swap wrx
was wrb

After thinking about it, I decided check the play/clearance on the extension cover with the driveshaft inserted. Iím doing other work and waiting for the bearings to get here, the driveshaft and cover are removed from the car.

There is very little play in between just those two pieces. Hence the wear in have in the last picture above where the output shaft goes through the cover.

Because of this small clearance, trying to assess the condition of the the shaft bearings by trying to move the driveshaft while inserted into the end of the transmission will give you a false result.

Mine has very little play even with the wear, but with the driveshaft removed, the output shaft would move almost a 1/4Ē.

Long way of saying that you have to pull the end of the driveshaft out to really check.