Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 23, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2016, 07:07 AM   #1
Vaddik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 417234
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mesa, AZ
Vehicle:
2005 STI
Silver

Default 2005 Sti bumpy ride

I have this weird issue with my car. Its a 2005 Sti with k-sport coils and white line sway bars, neither of which I believe to be the problem.

When driving strait, turning either way, and I dont think I've ever gone fast enough to notice in reverse, but it always a bumpy ride. Recently we had a highway repaved nice and smooth and its still bounces around. Its always there.

The rough ride is a little hard to explain, it feels as if you hit a rock or a small bump. Almost as if it is hopping a little bit. Literally feels as if the road has little bumps in it. I'll try to get a video posted of how bad the ride can be. Not sure if it could possibly be a very bad wheel bearing or maybe I just have a shot diff. Been driving me crazy for a while. I am almost certain that the bounce is in the rear driver side of the car, but I haven't noticed anything wrong with the coil or anything unusual at all.

Ask away I can take pictures and video as much as possible. I only really have time on one weekend day to do so. My replies might be slow, but I'll respond
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Vaddik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #2
AndyRoo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 20952
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Baltimore, MD
Vehicle:
BRZ & Datsun
White & White

Default

Is this a new thing or has it always been this way on your K Sports?
AndyRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
mitch808
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10228
Join Date: Sep 2001
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX

Default

First off youre on coilovers. Often that means more of a stiff ride or more firm, depending on how you want to describe it.

But you also have some of the cheaper low end coilovers that only compounds the issue. Generally speaking cheap coilovers are stiffer than they need to be with zero r&d put into them
mitch808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
decoder22
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 437335
Join Date: Jan 2016
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Janesville
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Silver

Default

check all your bushings, check the collars on the coilovers, try jacking up the rear and grabbing the wheel side to side and up and down to look for play or use a pry bar to check for some play in bushings. double check sway bar links and bushings. any oil leaking from the coils?
decoder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:56 PM   #5
Bikelok
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 254851
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon 5mt
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
First off youre on coilovers. Often that means more of a stiff ride or more firm, depending on how you want to describe it.

But you also have some of the cheaper low end coilovers that only compounds the issue. Generally speaking cheap coilovers are stiffer than they need to be with zero r&d put into them

This^^^^

I bet this is the problem right here.
Crappy cheap dampers with springs that are way too stiff and I also bet set up too low.
Bikelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:31 PM   #6
Vaddik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 417234
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mesa, AZ
Vehicle:
2005 STI
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRoo View Post
Is this a new thing or has it always been this way on your K Sports?
I got the car two years ago and it's been this way since.
Vaddik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:50 PM   #7
Vaddik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 417234
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mesa, AZ
Vehicle:
2005 STI
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikelok View Post
This^^^^

I bet this is the problem right here.
Crappy cheap dampers with springs that are way too stiff and I also bet set up too low.
I'm an inch lower than stock. It's not like I'm frame scraping.
Vaddik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:46 PM   #8
isotopesope
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 265783
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: the fern behind the porn couch
Vehicle:
2017 Forester XT
Niner ROS 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaddik View Post
I'm an inch lower than stock.
too low! no soup for you!!
isotopesope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #9
mitch808
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10228
Join Date: Sep 2001
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX

Default

You can always start with the basics.

Check endlinks, make sure they are tight.

Coilovers are a different breed. You need to inspect the tophats, especially the bearings. The springs, collars, etc. Odds are you need to remove them one by one to verify.
Do the shafts move properly? No visible leaks?

While you're under there, you can check the wheel bearings for play
mitch808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:30 PM   #10
Bikelok
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 254851
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon 5mt
PSM

Default

I'd bet a dollar that with a change to better dampers, your whole driving experience will improve dramatically.
Bikelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:34 AM   #11
Vaddik
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 417234
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mesa, AZ
Vehicle:
2005 STI
Silver

Default

I'll probably have to pull one off to see. There's no way to see it from the top where it mounts or from the bottom. Thank you for in the input. I'm thinking about upgrading to something like hks hiper max 4's. eventually. I just want to make sure its the problem first.
Vaddik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:47 AM   #12
mav1c
Hoodbridge!
Moderator
 
Member#: 560
Join Date: Nov 1999
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Vehicle:
2006 STi, 16 Outback
Crystal Gray, Silver

Default

You have junk coilovers. That's the problem. IF you want a better ride, get something KW V3's. HKS are going to be just as harsh.
mav1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #13
Bikelok
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 254851
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon 5mt
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1c View Post
You have junk coilovers. That's the problem. IF you want a better ride, get something KW V3's. HKS are going to be just as harsh.

This^^^
OP, if you want coil overs then break the piggy bank and get something worth having, otherwise you will be in the same situation.

If you can't afford good coil overs then look at a good spring/strut combo. Most good spring/strut combos blow away low to mid priced coil overs.
Bikelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:01 AM   #14
cboggess
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 30804
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
87 Yugo
Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaddik View Post
I have this weird issue with my car. Its a 2005 Sti with k-sport coils and white line sway bars, neither of which I believe to be the problem.

When driving strait, turning either way, and I dont think I've ever gone fast enough to notice in reverse, but it always a bumpy ride. Recently we had a highway repaved nice and smooth and its still bounces around. Its always there.

The rough ride is a little hard to explain, it feels as if you hit a rock or a small bump. Almost as if it is hopping a little bit. Literally feels as if the road has little bumps in it. I'll try to get a video posted of how bad the ride can be. Not sure if it could possibly be a very bad wheel bearing or maybe I just have a shot diff. Been driving me crazy for a while. I am almost certain that the bounce is in the rear driver side of the car, but I haven't noticed anything wrong with the coil or anything unusual at all.

Ask away I can take pictures and video as much as possible. I only really have time on one weekend day to do so. My replies might be slow, but I'll respond
Found your problem.
cboggess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:28 PM   #15
mitch808
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10228
Join Date: Sep 2001
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaddik View Post
I'll probably have to pull one off to see. There's no way to see it from the top where it mounts or from the bottom. Thank you for in the input. I'm thinking about upgrading to something like hks hiper max 4's. eventually. I just want to make sure its the problem first.
Replacing junk with higher priced junk is not your answer.

ST, KW, Feal, RCE all make quality product, from entry level to mid-range, lower-highend. Even the KW v3 is not "high-end." You can go higher if you need it.

Do you even need coilovers? That could go a long way too, like RCE's Bilstein strut option, Feals new struts, get OEM 05+ STi struts and have them rebuilt by Feal, etc..

The net of everyone's post is that, cheap coilover are just that, cheap. So lots of design compromises. Which you translate to rough/bumpy ride.

With a proper budget, the folks here can set you on the right path to make it better. Better yet, pick up the phone with CC in hand, and call either TiC or RCE on your goals and budget and just buy from them.
mitch808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:31 PM   #16
cboggess
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 30804
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
87 Yugo
Red

Default

Dude. daily driver? Call up [email protected] and order the following:
His new fixed perch strut for the 05-07 STi
Group N front and rear top hats

Call up [email protected] and order the following:
RCE Blacks for the GD chassis

Call up your local dealer and order the following:
Front upper spring perches
Conical washers
Front upper spring cushion
Rear lower spring cushions

Call up your local subaru specialty shop and have them:
install all these bits
align the car

You will be much much happier with the ride, and it will perform quite well for the street.
cboggess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:06 PM   #17
Mizzel
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 432843
Join Date: Oct 2015
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: New Orleans
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx
PSM

Default

Nothing is weird about this issue. You have cheap coilovers and they ride like ****. Shocker.
Listen to the advice above if you want your car to actually feel anywhere near decent.
Mizzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:59 PM   #18
Flatout Rally
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 423181
Join Date: Jun 2015
Vehicle:
2010 Mercedes C63
White

Default

Try this:

http://www.flatoutsuspension.com/blogs/tech/coiloveradjustment
Flatout Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.