Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday November 25, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2020, 12:16 PM   #2851
mcarb002
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324784
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
2019 Forester Sport

Default

For most people, the STI is their only car. Therefore, taking it to the track is a luxury and an endeavor most just wouldn't want to take even if you discount the fact that you obviously have to know how to drive well.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
mcarb002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:22 PM   #2852
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fire Caves
Vehicle:
1999 2002 WRX Donor
93 FWD Base Impreza Autox

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarb002 View Post
For most people, the STI is their only car.
Not true. Its an expensive car, Ive known very few people over the last 16 years who had one as their only car. Even I had two cars when I owned one.

BRZs and WRXs are more likely to be one-car owner cars because they are purchased by younger people with less money.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:20 PM   #2853
JP Chestnut
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 504432
Join Date: Jul 2019
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
I wouldn't say the STI is terrible on track, I've only took it racing 2 times and I'm placing 7th out of 14 in my class, on stock tires. Only mods are swaybars, DP, AP and CF driveshaft and GrpN bushings.




*It's worth noting 1st in my class is an automatic trans lol
You were slower than a forester. Iím not sure that really supports your argument.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:22 PM   #2854
JP Chestnut
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 504432
Join Date: Jul 2019
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Not true. Its an expensive car, Ive known very few people over the last 16 years who had one as their only car. Even I had two cars when I owned one.

BRZs and WRXs are more likely to be one-car owner cars because they are purchased by younger people with less money.
$40,000 isnít an expensive car. Itís right in the sweet spot of a middle class family.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:33 PM   #2855
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fire Caves
Vehicle:
1999 2002 WRX Donor
93 FWD Base Impreza Autox

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
$40,000 isnít an expensive car. Itís right in the sweet spot of a middle class family.
Middle class families have more than one car.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:49 PM   #2856
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 50586
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2020 STI
Crystal White Pearl

Default

The guy in the forester has been racing there a lot long than me and his car is very far from stock, it's running flex fuel and 400whp...also he had brand new re-71 tires...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
You were slower than a forester. Iím not sure that really supports your argument.
murrdogg24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:55 PM   #2857
JP Chestnut
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 504432
Join Date: Jul 2019
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Middle class families have more than one car.
Yeah. Typically one per working adult. Hence, each car is that individuals only car.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #2858
JP Chestnut
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 504432
Join Date: Jul 2019
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
The guy in the forester has been racing there a lot long than me and his car is very far from stock, it's running flex fuel and 400whp...also he had brand new re-71 tires...
While Iíd agree that your modified sti isnít a much better track platform than a modified forester, it still doesnít bolster the argument that the sti is more track capable than any other mildly sporty car.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:05 PM   #2859
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 50586
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2020 STI
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
While Iíd agree that your modified sti isnít a much better track platform than a modified forester, it still doesnít bolster the argument that the sti is more track capable than any other mildly sporty car.
I dont believe I said that it was...I said it wasn't terrible on the track
murrdogg24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:28 PM   #2860
mcarb002
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324784
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
2019 Forester Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Not true. Its an expensive car, Ive known very few people over the last 16 years who had one as their only car. Even I had two cars when I owned one.

BRZs and WRXs are more likely to be one-car owner cars because they are purchased by younger people with less money.

I could say the same thing about me and my experience..

When I had my STI it was my only car and going to car meets it was the same for many people.

Sure, there were and obviously are people with another car, but that other car for like 99% of people isn't a 911turbo and G wagon or something...it's more like their 99' Ford truck for work, 04 FXT, S2000/Miata or something....meaning that, in no way shape or form, having another car=you can or should be tracking your new/1-3 year old STI..

so if your other car is an M4, RWB Porsche and a Range Rover than heck yeah, obviously buying a new STI for the track means nothing to you and you can throw that thing around like an old rag without any care in the world.
mcarb002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:59 PM   #2861
YungBoba
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Irvine
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
Yeah. Typically one per working adult. Hence, each car is that individuals only car.
This is the way that I see it too.

Family of 2 adults + kids, if I have an STi and my wife has a *insert generic SUV here*, they're our own separate cars. Sure, technically speaking, if my STi ****s the bed because I tracked it too hard, I can probably convince her to share or borrow her car until it's fixed (carpool/drop off/etc), but that's such a headache. And at the end of the day, she's still going to say "why do you keep breaking your car"

If I have an STi and another car that I use as a daily driver (and my wife still has her own separate car), then I'd consider that as myself having two cars.
YungBoba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:09 PM   #2862
4wdwrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 72042
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Sunshine
Vehicle:
2002 V7 Impreza WRX
The Blue Mammoth

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarb002 View Post
For most people, the STI is their only car. Therefore, taking it to the track is a luxury and an endeavor most just wouldn't want to take even if you discount the fact that you obviously have to know how to drive well.
Having an STI as a daily is a luxury.

I guess STI are like Corvette of us Millennial generation.

I think most misunderstood track times compared to a car with track capability. A car can have fast lap time but not be a good track car. It may only be good for one lap. A track capable car has the components design for withstanding prolonged stress. A standard WRX has close to an STI in lap times, but not in endurance.

Last edited by 4wdwrx; 10-25-2020 at 08:22 PM.
4wdwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:50 PM   #2863
Angelus911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89967
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
$40,000 isnít an expensive car. Itís right in the sweet spot of a middle class family.

There are many middle class families that canít afford a $40k vehicle, especially when their family most likely needs 2 cars
Angelus911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:12 PM   #2864
NZrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340330
Join Date: Dec 2012
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Default

I guess we don't have a 3 car garage. So both cars have to be practical and be good dailies. It's just that I want mine to be a performance car daily hence why I have a wrx. I didn't buy an STI cos it was the same as the '08 and '11 in my eyes.

I want the next STI to be a great performaner on the road and be a better daily than what it is now. That means more refinement and tech. I make the assumption that many other enthusiasts that are out of their 20s may want the same thing too, and thankfully that's what subaru will do. The 15s were a decent improvement over the 08 but my car still rattles and creaks, with insane road noise. It's raw enough, unsure how much raw some of you want. It's not 2003 anymore.

Some could say buy the new golf R. Refinement is great, but it's a girly hatchback and it looks like a car only a 60 yo would drive. I love the aggressive looks and awd formula of the STI, just hoping for a modern power train and better refinement. Levorg interior with 350hp and adaptive suspension, aggro styling, done.
NZrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:24 AM   #2865
J_C_O
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 454909
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Andorra
Vehicle:
2006 WRX SW
Crystal gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus911 View Post
There are many middle class families that canít afford a $40k vehicle, especially when their family most likely needs 2 cars
I want to live in that country where, in 2020, a 40.000$ car is not expensive. Each member has a car, and one can trash an STI at the track without worries, because fuel and parts are cheap for an STI.
J_C_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:20 AM   #2866
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
'19 xvPHEV,Tesla MY
05 08 11 WRX 18 STI 18TM3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Diamond View Post
And I used to think AWD was AWD. Under 90% of daily driving conditions would one be able to tell the difference between Subaru and Audi AWD systems?
Not necessarily when cruising down the highway. I've driven Q3 (transverse/haldex) and you can feel that the front tires are pulling the car vs also being pushed from behind when you need more power. See my post about the MDX SH-AWD (transverse, 90/10):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Drift View Post
....Example, the Acura MDX SH-AWD, which is basically 90/10: get on the gas, and you can tell the fronts are doing all the work. The Crosstrek feels like power is shared amongst all the wheels. I've also had the MDX get stuck going forward in a parking lot w/ a little snow bc the rears didn't get enough torque to break us free. Only got out by reversing.
Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #2867
alape8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 337748
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Denver
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
I wouldn't say the STI is terrible on track, I've only took it racing 2 times and I'm placing 7th out of 14 in my class, on stock tires. Only mods are swaybars, DP, AP and CF driveshaft and GrpN bushings.

*It's worth noting 1st in my class is an automatic trans lol
Hello fellow PPIR Time (er, Track) Attacker!
alape8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #2868
RealDealTarheel
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 142447
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Not so Fair...banks
Vehicle:
2019 Audi S3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_C_O View Post
I want to live in that country where, in 2020, a 40.000$ car is not expensive. Each member has a car, and one can trash an STI at the track without worries, because fuel and parts are cheap for an STI.
$40 isn't an inexpensive car?
RealDealTarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:08 PM   #2869
geekpryde
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 511830
Join Date: Feb 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealDealTarheel View Post
$40 isn't an inexpensive car?
Clearly he means $40,000. His point is, that is not a cheap car. Some members are implying its both cheap, so much so, it practically disposable and you can justify driving it into the ground at a track, or smashing it up with little concern.

Personally, I agree 40K is not a cheap car, or one that I could destroy and shrug it off.
geekpryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:15 PM   #2870
JP Chestnut
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 504432
Join Date: Jul 2019
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default

$40k is slightly more than the 2019 average new car selling price of $37.5. Clearly neither cheap or expensive.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:15 PM   #2871
samagon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 26859
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: undisputed COMBAT! champion
Vehicle:
of TXIC
I also like (oYo)!!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Not true. Its an expensive car, Ive known very few people over the last 16 years who had one as their only car. Even I had two cars when I owned one.

BRZs and WRXs are more likely to be one-car owner cars because they are purchased by younger people with less money.
I guess different experiences for different scenarios, I've known more people personally that have a BRZ as a second car. I'm going down my list of people I've known with a STI, and every one has had it as their only car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
$40,000 isn***8217;t an expensive car. It***8217;s right in the sweet spot of a middle class family.
I guess it depends on what you consider middle class.

$75,000 is the average middle class household income.

the extreme upper bounds that a household should spend on a car is 35% of their income. which, I will say, if someone is considering a sporty car like the WRX or STI, they are going to be buying a car using the upper bound, not the frugalist 10% of their income, or even the 20% that most should land on.

so the upper bound of what your average middle class should be spending is $26,000.

so maybe we can say upper middle class, which is going to be the $120k region?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
$40k is slightly more than the 2019 average new car selling price of $37.5. Clearly neither cheap or expensive.
people are dumb. they do the same thing as they did with houses before the last financial crisis. if the bank will give them a monthly payment loan amount, they will spend every penny of that without actually doing the math to see if it is a wise decision.

if a loan officer says you can afford $650 payment, the buyer takes that as sound financial advise and plonks down their signature.
samagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:24 PM   #2872
J_C_O
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 454909
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Andorra
Vehicle:
2006 WRX SW
Crystal gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpryde View Post
Clearly he means $40,000. His point is, that is not a cheap car. Some members are implying its both cheap, so much so, it practically disposable and you can justify driving it into the ground at a track, or smashing it up with little concern.

Personally, I agree 40K is not a cheap car, or one that I could destroy and shrug it off.
Yes, I'm not American and I did not remember that you use , instead of .
J_C_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:14 PM   #2873
JP Chestnut
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 504432
Join Date: Jul 2019
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_C_O View Post
Yes, I'm not American and I did not remember that you use , instead of .
What we also donít use is three digits after the ď.Ē, which made your point clear.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:01 PM   #2874
heavyD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194216
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Vehicle:
2020 X3M Competition

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
I wouldn't say the STI is terrible on track, I've only took it racing 2 times and I'm placing 7th out of 14 in my class, on stock tires. Only mods are swaybars, DP, AP and CF driveshaft and GrpN bushings.




*It's worth noting 1st in my class is an automatic trans lol
I see EVO's are still spanking STI's on the track.
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:34 PM   #2875
bugatti0628
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 447323
Join Date: May 2016
Default

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...ine-japan/amp/ I'm not sure which vehicle they are pertaining too, but this quote from the article is interesting.
"When contacted for this story, a spokesperson said the American arm of the company had "no comment on future product" and that its "next big news will be on November 17." So, watch this space."
bugatti0628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.