Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday November 13, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Vendor Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2017, 10:02 AM   #1
Killernoodle2
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 458917
Default IAG Engine problems

So im trying to decide what to do today.
2007 Sti
Last week IAG told me they aren't warranting my engine, 2300 miles Stage 4 solid deck, forged pistons rods, crank, new case.
My engine drops oil pressure on the drive home, we were getting e85 in my brothers built 2005 cts-v. I was driving ahead to make sure there wasn't any 5.0 while he road tuned the car. Windows down, radio on, I get a text from my brother telling me the cars making a noise. Panic mode ensues and I frantically roll the windows up and shut the radio off. Knock knock whos there?
First response is to shut the engine down, looking around traffic I realize theres no way to pull off on the center median, so ive got to make it to the truck rest area, an 1/8 of a mile away. Once ive made it three lanes over I shut the car off and let it coast into the sketchy truck stop. I park the car on the way home the caddy's alternator dies, and we make it to about a mile from the shop, and a nice uber driver gets us there the rest of the way. (Thanks to him for being so ****ing cool)

The car cranked up the next day with 30psi cold pressure, but as soon as you give it any kind of throttle you can hear the one of the bearings is dead and it drops to 2psi. It also sounds like the compression is low. It started but it didn't really want to. I had a witness when I drained my oil and I saved a sample of it in a Gatorade bottle, the oil is black but has 70 miles on it. The bearing is ground into powder not Chunks. Cut the filter open, same thing, powder not chunks.

Call up IAG im advised to put a mechanical gauge because the electronic ones are unreliable, meanwhile being told that 30psi of cold idle pressure is "high"......

So I pulled the pan off to wiggle the rods and sure enough #3 is done. I called them up again and they begin the process of taking the engine back, I box it up in one of the engine crates Subaru sent me 250$ later Im really hoping UPS looses it and cuts me a check.

More than a month after they receive the engine, they didn't send any kind of conformation saying they got it, they were looking it over, anything really. So call them again. The engines somewhere on the shelf and they'll be getting to it soon enough.

Fast forward to a week, I get a phone call telling me the bearings are done....
(shocking) the walls are scored up, it needs a rod, all the bearings, a crank, 100mm pistons, and all the machine work.

Ok a little more than I was expecting but I did have to get the car off the highway with 2psi, or risk getting creamed by a semi.

The cost....$2765.00 thats about 3/4 of what I paid for the engine in the first place.

After assuring me that it wasn't a workmanship flaw. They go on to tell me it was my fault I probably had no oil in the car. In 2300 miles ive changed it 3 times since break in. That my pickup tube was cracked or id forgotten the Oring. Bought a killer B. My oil pump was faulty or id forgotten the oring behind it. Bought a new from subaru 08+ pump upon removal the rear rotor cover was tight and the oring was there.

I get a callback the next day the builder and the GM are on the phone assuring me they have a 1/1600 failure rate. But hes gonna help me out and see what they can do for me. Second email they want $1600 for all the parts, labor, and to ship it back to me. Something more reasonable than 2700 but I still feel like it warranty. Especially when they are willing to cover stuff that obviously isn't workmanship. The repairs are almost identical minus a crank and a rod.

My build list I can provide receipts to prove it

IAG stage 4
Arp head studs
JE Head gaskets
New from subaru, Master gasket kit, Oil pump, oil pump bolts, oil pan, oil cooler, bajo bolts with screens.
Avcs cam gears cleaned and inspected.
Head disassembled at a reputable machine shop, hot tanked, Hand cleaned, all the oil passages cleaned out. manley valves.
turbo kit we built for the car. new cleaned out AN -4 feed lines.
cleaned the manifold out, new pcv system/catch can.
Killer b Pickup tube.

Long story short, im disappointed. I bought this engine because they warranty was "iron clad". Obviously they want to pick and choose what they want to warranty. Ive never been a squeaky wheel gets the grease person, but the whole situation is ridiculous. Most likely the bearing babbitt failed, destroying the evidence in the process, spun out and all the available oil pressure decided to shoot out of the crank and starve the rest of the engine.

What do you guys think?
Killernoodle2 is offline   Reply With Quote