Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 26, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
sbarmann
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 254941
Default Tip for front shifter bushing removal

Just wanted to share a little bit on the front shifter bushing install I just finished. I ordered a one piece front shifter bushing (as depicted here) and was wondering how the [email protected]#$ I would get the new one in. Luckily I thought about this before hand and found this tool: Upper Bushing Service Set. This tool is the perfect size for the front shifter bushing and you can rent it for free.

I wanted to post this as the bushing I bought is substantially cheaper than other name brands but its made out of the same graphite impregnated polyurethane. Installing the new bushing takes a couple of tries and you need to lube up the bushing and shifter linkage with dielectric grease or some other lubricant to aid in the installation. It maybe added 10 minutes to the install and I actually like the idea of a one piece bushing better than a split design. This tool also lets you easily uninstall your factory bushing which lets you later reinstall it, if you ever wanted to do so.

I just wanted to let everyone know so they can save some cash. I paid $16.91 for the bushing after shipping compared to $40.02(after shipping) for a different name brand bushing.

The fitment and quality of the bushing seems fine which I was concerned about due to the price but it popped right into place with the aid of the tool and fits like it came that way from the factory. Hopefully this info helps somebody out there.

Also, it is necessary to remove the whole shifter stay rod, which involves removing the front shifter bushing nut and washer, the two bolts for the rear shifter bushing and that allows enough room to maneuver to remove the C-clip that holds the actually shift lever in place. This is by far faster than removing the entire shifter assembly. Overall install time was about an hour including clean-up. I know this takes a little longer but you save over $20.

Last edited by sbarmann; 02-17-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something again, sorry.
sbarmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
[email protected]
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 67
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
1999 Outlasting
the competition.

So you spent 260 bucks on a tool to save 20 some odd bucks on the bushings?
just messing with you.
most people will just use a saw and butcher the ES bushings in half.

tom
tom@kartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
illmill
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 497945

So i'm pretty much stuck with this. I can't get the bushing off. I've tried every method so far, but it just wont budge. I can hardly get pliers around it anymore because the edge has pulled off. any other great tips?

Ah Damn! right after posting this, I just got it off. lol. I actually expected it to be 2 pieces, and never would have been able to remove it with what I was trying. Came across the magical tip in another thread that I'll also leave here. removing the nut and washer, hand tighten the nut back on, pull on the shifter lever and the bushing gets left behind. takes a few seconds.

I'm thinking this has already been replaced with a cheap rubber one. There is zero grease on it. is that normal?

and now that my arms are noodles...

this is what I learned. buy gloves. buy a real jack. heat shields are dumb.

Last edited by illmill; 02-18-2019 at 03:44 PM.
illmill is offline   Reply With Quote