Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 25, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2019, 06:20 PM   #1
defaultstivaper
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 486819
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Vehicle:
2018 STI
Pure Red

Default Better performance from new lightweight wheels, 2018 STI

What's up guys. I decided to make a new video overviewing my new mods, especially my new Motegi Traklites (18x9 et 35).

Personally, I like the style of the 18 / 19 STI 19" wheels. I think it's a classy / sporty design and fits the car well. The only issue is that they're 28.5lbs per rim, and with the Yokohama advans you're looking at nearly 55lbs per corner. I wanted to change it up and get black wheels, then found the best of both worlds. Cheap in price, well built (Fitment Industries lists them as Rotary Forged), and very light, the Motegi Traklites weigh in at 19lbs per wheel and I saved 10lbs per corner. I now feel a difference in rolling acceleration, braking, a little bit of handling, and a slight MPG increase.

Here is my overview of the new setup:

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
defaultstivaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:23 PM   #2
defaultstivaper
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 486819
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Vehicle:
2018 STI
Pure Red

Default

Here is an EXTREME example of the effect. I say extreme because not everyone is going to go out and buy carbon fiber rims, but as you can see the weight savings were around 14lbs. I saved 10lbs. There's another article out there with a Focus ST I'm trying to find. A bit more realistic. The car shaved .5sec off something like a 40-90 pull.

defaultstivaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:57 PM   #3
oichan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A garage in the Midwest
Vehicle:
2019 WRX / 16 STI
2017 Golf-R, etc

Default

Yeah, good job on the wheels. I too think the re-fresh wheels look fantastic, but the weight held me back from getting them. I still run the stock 16 STI Enkei's which I also like, design wise.

Lighter weight wheels and Stage1+ is a great combo.
oichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
Scorpius
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 370806
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Midwest
Vehicle:
2019 WRX/STI DGM
2016 WRX/STI ISM

Default

The stock 18+ STI wheels are boat anchors with paint overspray on the inside barrels. I wasn't impressed with the quality, but the design is nice.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #5
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultstivaper View Post
What's up guys. I decided to make a new video overviewing my new mods, especially my new Motegi Traklites (18x9 et 35).

Personally, I like the style of the 18 / 19 STI 19" wheels. I think it's a classy / sporty design and fits the car well. The only issue is that they're 28.5lbs per rim, and with the Yokohama advans you're looking at nearly 55lbs per corner. I wanted to change it up and get black wheels, then found the best of both worlds. Cheap in price, well built (Fitment Industries lists them as Rotary Forged), and very light, the Motegi Traklites weigh in at 19lbs per wheel and I saved 10lbs per corner. I now feel a difference in rolling acceleration, braking, a little bit of handling, and a slight MPG increase.

Here is my overview of the new setup:

How to get better peformance without modding your engine: 2018 STI - YouTube
You have found out something many have known for years.
Good example are peeps that want to do a +1 or +2 on rim diameter. The price of rims plus new tires means it's expensive, so money is saved on rim choice. This usually means a cast rim (heavier) PLUS that extra weight is further out on a fulcrum which compounds the issue. Many times, the rim width increases which also adds weight.
Add in the extra weight the suspension has to deal with and you can end up with a car who's handling suffers and it's slower on acceleration.

My AutoX rims are actually a -1 AND forged, so I decrease tire diameter (helps acceleration gearing, may also negate the need for 1st in some corners) as well as the weight.
They are some old school 16x7" Volks which just clear my brakes.
My normal rims are 16x7" 2000 RS rims, 6 spoke.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #6
oichan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A garage in the Midwest
Vehicle:
2019 WRX / 16 STI
2017 Golf-R, etc

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post

Add in the extra weight the suspension has to deal with and you can end up with a car who's handling suffers and it's slower on acceleration.
Yeah, the magazine numbers show slower numbers for 18+ STI's with the refresh wheels vs the 15-16's. This can easily be improved by running light weight wheels like what OP did and what you mentioned going with a smaller circumference tire setup. Very smart, I did that on another car way back when which had an underpowered engine. Car was pretty quick after the wheels swap.
oichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #7
ben_7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 464522
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2018 Subaru WRX STi

Default Better performance from new lightweight wheels, 2018 STI

I love the wheel design on my 2018 STi, however I would sell them for either the 2018 STi Type RA or the S209 gold wheels (I would have loved my wheels to come with the gold paint).

I think those two come with essentially the same design as my 2018 STi wheels with the gold color and itís forged, so itís lighter. So that would solve the weight problem while keeping the cool new design!

What do you guys think of the Type RA and S209 wheels?

Also, the Bronze Work Emotion CR Kiwami 19Ē wheels look cool!
ben_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #8
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oichan View Post
Yeah, the magazine numbers show slower numbers for 18+ STI's with the refresh wheels vs the 15-16's. This can easily be improved by running light weight wheels like what OP did and what you mentioned going with a smaller circumference tire setup. Very smart, I did that on another car way back when which had an underpowered engine. Car was pretty quick after the wheels swap.
I did "small circumference" tires ONLY for AutoX.
Wheel weight and "center of mass" makes big differences to many things.
Paint overspray is almost a non issue......If you're concerned, Frikkin sand it off.....but it weighs nothing compared to a cast rim vs. a flow forged/forged rim.

I like my highway gearing, so I picked a tire that mimicked the OEM tire OD (205/55-16 vs. a 225/50-16) so the speedo, odometer and gearing was correct, I went from a 6.5" rim to a 7" rim to allow decent contact patch for lateral grip.
AutoX was a different goal, so a smaller tier OD was helpful along with the weight drop.
Doing bigger diameter rims sorta falls under basic, "Mechanical engineering or physics", pretty basic stuff.

Sorta gets into, "speed is money, how fast do you want to go?".

Big diameter wide cast rims WILL slow you down and likely hurt handling.
You want rubber band tires with a stance, then don't complain when you lose stoplight wars and the handling is harsh.
Your choice.

PS, I believe the term is "moment arm", look it up....

Last edited by Charlie-III; 02-17-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:03 PM   #9
welding rod
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 116108
Join Date: May 2006
Default

I couldn't take the weight on my 19's wheels so I swapped for 18" OZ Alleggerita HLTs with factory offset... about 18 pounds each (3 a little less according to the OZ exact weight data attached to each wheel).
welding rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #10
Subimods
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 209139
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: now Bloomfield, CT off I-91!
Vehicle:
2019 STI
White

Default

Hey Dan,

We loved the video! Very informative! Though we love the look of our Stock wheels on our 19', Some lighter wheels did make a very noticeable difference in handling!
Subimods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #11
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I did "small circumference" tires ONLY for AutoX.
Wheel weight and "center of mass" makes big differences to many things.
Paint overspray is almost a non issue......If you're concerned, Frikkin sand it off.....but it weighs nothing compared to a cast rim vs. a flow forged/forged rim.

I like my highway gearing, so I picked a tire that mimicked the OEM tire OD (205/55-16 vs. a 225/50-16) so the speedo, odometer and gearing was correct, I went from a 6.5" rim to a 7" rim to allow decent contact patch for lateral grip.
AutoX was a different goal, so a smaller tier OD was helpful along with the weight drop.
Doing bigger diameter rims sorta falls under basic, "Mechanical engineering or physics", pretty basic stuff.

Sorta gets into, "speed is money, how fast do you want to go?".

Big diameter wide cast rims WILL slow you down and likely hurt handling.
You want rubber band tires with a stance, then don't complain when you lose stoplight wars and the handling is harsh.
Your choice.

PS, I believe the term is "moment arm", look it up....
Absolutely. It's one reason why I'm thinking of selling my OEM 18's on my WRX and going with Mach V Awesome wheels in 17x9 (stock is 18x8.5), and sticking with OEM treadwidth (245) after I use up the stock summer tires. Winter wheels are 17s and I haven't had a very harsh ride even on winter roads with winter weather debris due to increased sidewall vs. stock.

I wonder how much OP paid for his wheels. My winter wheels are Motegi and they're low pressure gravity cast yet still lighter than OEM by a fair bit.
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:40 PM   #12
defaultstivaper
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 486819
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Vehicle:
2018 STI
Pure Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Absolutely. It's one reason why I'm thinking of selling my OEM 18's on my WRX and going with Mach V Awesome wheels in 17x9 (stock is 18x8.5), and sticking with OEM treadwidth (245) after I use up the stock summer tires. Winter wheels are 17s and I haven't had a very harsh ride even on winter roads with winter weather debris due to increased sidewall vs. stock.

I wonder how much OP paid for his wheels. My winter wheels are Motegi and they're low pressure gravity cast yet still lighter than OEM by a fair bit.


I only paid $1300ish for my Motegi traklites with the Nitto Neogens, all brand new, mounted, with TPMS included.

Motegi Traklites in 18x9 et 35 were around $720 for the set.
4x Nitto Neogens were around $500-550.

TPMS were $140.

So far the Nittos have proven to be a very quality tire for the price. Feels secure and sturdy on the road, yet comfortable enough with the Tein coilovers. They never spin, even the rain, and manage to make it through the snow as "high performance" all seasons.
defaultstivaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:26 PM   #13
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Do they have them in 17s? And what was weight per wheel before tires?

I'm seriously considering 17x9 +42 for summer wheels on my WRX Limited. I like the extra sidewall and light rotational weight that that wheel size allows me to have.

Edit: I looked them up and they don't have them in 17x9.

How is the +35 offset? Did you have to roll fenders to avoid rubbing, or do they fit just fine with stock suspension?

Last edited by SirBrass; 02-20-2019 at 04:37 PM.
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:33 PM   #14
fullah
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 233053
Join Date: Dec 2009
Default

I was considering these wheels and was getting a great deal on them but I couldn't pull the trigger. The light weight was defintely a plus but I felt the styling wasn't as aggressive. I know they make a multi piece version but they are crazy expensive compared to the one piece.
fullah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #15
defaultstivaper
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 486819
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Vehicle:
2018 STI
Pure Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Do they have them in 17s? And what was weight per wheel before tires?

I'm seriously considering 17x9 +42 for summer wheels on my WRX Limited. I like the extra sidewall and light rotational weight that that wheel size allows me to have.

Edit: I looked them up and they don't have them in 17x9.

How is the +35 offset? Did you have to roll fenders to avoid rubbing, or do they fit just fine with stock suspension?

18x9 +35 is close to perfect fitment. At my ride height in the video (lowered on Tein basic Z), I never rub at all, even over bumps. I currently have it set up where there's no wheel gap between the tire and fender. Otherwise, they clear enough to go upwards into the wheel well, so they're just a few mm under being 100% flush. The fronts are flush, the rears could use like +3mm to be flush.
defaultstivaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:27 PM   #16
fullah
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 233053
Join Date: Dec 2009
Default

How's the ride on the tein basis coils?
fullah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:07 AM   #17
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultstivaper View Post
18x9 +35 is close to perfect fitment. At my ride height in the video (lowered on Tein basic Z), I never rub at all, even over bumps. I currently have it set up where there's no wheel gap between the tire and fender. Otherwise, they clear enough to go upwards into the wheel well, so they're just a few mm under being 100% flush. The fronts are flush, the rears could use like +3mm to be flush.
I'm on stock WRX Limited suspension (inverted front struts) with no plans to alter ride height, so I assume that I'd have zero fitment and rubbing issues as well.
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:06 AM   #18
oichan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A garage in the Midwest
Vehicle:
2019 WRX / 16 STI
2017 Golf-R, etc

Default

9” with ET42 is going to poke, no? especially on the WRX where ride height is 10mm or so taller than the STI. Something to think about. I don’t plan on lowering my WRX Limited either and will continue to run factory 18’s in the summer and my 18x8.5” ET53 Prodrive GT1 (20.5lbs) in the winter.
oichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #19
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oichan View Post
9Ē with ET42 is going to poke, no? especially on the WRX where ride height is 10mm or so taller than the STI. Something to think about. I donít plan on lowering my WRX Limited either and will continue to run factory 18ís in the summer and my 18x8.5Ē ET53 Prodrive GT1 (20.5lbs) in the winter.
I have ET45 on my 17x8 winter wheels and there is no poke and it looks almost flush. Looks darn good, really.
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #20
oichan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A garage in the Midwest
Vehicle:
2019 WRX / 16 STI
2017 Golf-R, etc

Default

Right, 8” at ET45 is fine (you said it’s flush) but 9” at ET42 will poke, no?
oichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:50 PM   #21
JRowland
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 454620
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Maggie Valley, NC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Red

Default

Brass, here is stock height 17x9 et48 with 245/45 performance winter tires. I had some very slight rubbing at full stuff.



JRowland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #22
pazzoduc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 493859
Join Date: Nov 2018
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: >> N. Dallas<<
Vehicle:
06 WRX TD Swapped
sorta black-ish

Default

Loosing 10lbs per corner is great!

Been looking at wheels/tires too.
Going from my stock 17"x7 wheels @23lbs to Konig 18x8.5 Hypergrams at 17.71 lbs. RE71r specs show 22lbs and 25" overall dia for the 215/45/17 and 23/25.4 for the 235/40 18. So going with the much larger wheel and same tire in corresponding size nets a 2.3lbs reduction in weight and only .2" in over all wheel radius that effects gearing. Cost +/-1800 at discount tire.

Most certainly want to consider overall diameter and weight for sure, but I'm planning on boosting power level up significantly in the near future. More contact patch will outweigh any real/perceived reduction in handling due to the larger rim size. (IMHO) Trying to figure out if I can get 9.5's under there!
pazzoduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:29 PM   #23
oichan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A garage in the Midwest
Vehicle:
2019 WRX / 16 STI
2017 Golf-R, etc

Default

JRowland - Thanks for the pictures, that's a good reference.
oichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:58 AM   #24
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

JR, thanks! Looks great. I really would like to get the Mach V awesome wheel (17x9), but it only comes in ET42, which is 6mm more poke than what you've got. But for summer shoes, I suppose that'd be acceptable for summer since I wouldn't be getting my wheel wells full of stuff.

And I was looking at the same size tires too, to match stock wheel/tire overall radius.
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #25
Max_2017WRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 497464
Join Date: Feb 2019
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Illinois
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
Silver

Default

I been wanting to get the MR131 Traklites for a long while now. I had them on my RSX previously, and they just looked amazing. Currently trying to save up like $2K so I can get the summer setup I want.
Max_2017WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.