Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday November 17, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-06-2018, 12:12 AM   #76
vinnyc3nzo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 485759

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHOD View Post
IMO, it's not a good idea to put cash down on a lease. If something happen and you want/need to get rid of your lease contract your cash down is very difficult to get refund. Also, you better keep your money in your pocket as you don't save much money in credits charge anyway.

I understand that putting down money is risky and almost never worth it, and i completely agree with you, but what do you mean by “you don’t save much money in credits charge anyway”? Sorry just confused a bit.
vinnyc3nzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2018, 12:41 AM   #77
BHOD
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 463264
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2018 WRX sport, 6MT
crystal BLACK silica

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyc3nzo View Post
I understand that putting down money is risky and almost never worth it, and i completely agree with you, but what do you mean by “you don’t save much money in credits charge anyway”? Sorry just confused a bit.
Sorry, maybe it's my English but I meant that you wouldn't save a lot of money on the interest charge you have on the loan relative to the amount of money you would put in down payment.

I tried to do a simulation on Subaru.com as I do often on Subaru.ca but it asked me zip code, etc to send a security Gestapo demand and verification
BHOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:17 AM   #78
vinnyc3nzo
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Sorry, maybe it's my English but I meant that you wouldn't save a lot of money on the interest charge you have on the loan relative to the amount of money you would put in down payment.

I tried to do a simulation on Subaru.com as I do often on Subaru.ca but it asked me zip code, etc to send a security Gestapo demand and verification

No problem, I understand what you mean. Per thousand on the down payment only changes my monthly by my $25/$35, where as i could be better off just having the higher monthly and using that money to just pay my monthly’s/ save for insurance and what not.

Using Truecar.com is another great way to calculate auto loans/leases as well. The only thing I’m really only worried about is making a hard inquiry on my credit which sits at 680 right now and not getting approved and being knocked down even further. (Yes i know i shouldn’t be leasing a $30k car) but i can’t continue to drive beaters in the midwest, and at this point i just want a safe reliable car.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:55 AM   #79
taylor_90
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 389932
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STi
2019 WRB WRX

Quote:
Is insurance drastically more expensive that a WRX?
Check quotes on both. I have progressive and they don't even separate the WRX and STI. My STI just pops up on there as a WRX so I've never had a problem with high rates.
taylor_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:05 AM   #80
SubiCrisp
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 486640
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2019 STI Limited
CWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor_90 View Post
Check quotes on both. I have progressive and they don't even separate the WRX and STI. My STI just pops up on there as a WRX so I've never had a problem with high rates.
Same here with StateFarm, they mentioned it was the same between WRX and STI.
SubiCrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:16 AM   #81
heatwave
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 124407
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2019 STI
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor_90 View Post
This explains why some insurance quotes i get are extreme vs others being more acceptable. Don't even bother with Farmers. I contacted Ameriprise and it was reasonable.
heatwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:36 AM   #82
Slim_Jim
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 473831
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI Limited
Lapis Blue Pearl

Quote:
That’s awesome, LBP is really unique. I really wanted to get a STI but i couldn’t get payments under $350 even with putting more than I should down on the lease. I have two questions for you if you don’t mind me asking, (don’t answer if you don’t want to)

What we’re the lease terms for it? (final invoice, Monthly, down payment, money factor you received and the residual?)

Is insurance drastically more expensive that a WRX?

Those were my only concerns on getting an STI, but from what I understand is that, if i lease a MY19 STI my monthly’s would be lower because the residual would be higher. So i’m not entirely sure what my best option is here.

Out-the-door price was $39K and some change (taxes and fees included), after a couple rebates they threw my way, a couple thousand down and talking them down a little. Sticker price was $43K (came with STI short throw, Homelink mirror, LED package, Blue illumination package, cargo tray, all weather mats and rear bumper applique). My dealer also installed a gps lojack system (separate from the Starlink) and signed me up for service (I think for 2 years), they polished and ceramic coated the car (with 3 year warranty, extended to 7 if I buy after lease), and a wheel & tire package against cracking/bending a wheel.
Lease is 36 months - 12,000 miles per year, my payment is $427 and the residual on the car will be $24K. I could've done 10K per year at a lower payment also.
They also told me that when I get close to the end of the lease, I can just tell them I'm going to buy it (or not) and we'll work out the terms, or I get the trade-in value towards another lease or purchase.

I got everything I wanted, except the STI performance exhaust, which wasn't a deal killer because I may change that later anyway.

Now the insurance....I asked my agent to quote me for the car and he acted like it was horrible, telling me that it was one of the worst (highest) premiums because it has a turbo...etc.....ended up being $90 a month (I laughed when he told me that), AND adding that car lowered my homeowners $300 a year (WTF?), don't know why but ok.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions. In all, I think I got a pretty good deal, especially compared to a few other dealers that I was talking to that did not want to budge off of the price at all.
Slim_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #83
vinnyc3nzo
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim_Jim View Post
Out-the-door price was $39K and some change (taxes and fees included), after a couple rebates they threw my way, a couple thousand down and talking them down a little. Sticker price was $43K (came with STI short throw, Homelink mirror, LED package, Blue illumination package, cargo tray, all weather mats and rear bumper applique). My dealer also installed a gps lojack system (separate from the Starlink) and signed me up for service (I think for 2 years), they polished and ceramic coated the car (with 3 year warranty, extended to 7 if I buy after lease), and a wheel & tire package against cracking/bending a wheel.

Lease is 36 months - 12,000 miles per year, my payment is $427 and the residual on the car will be $24K. I could've done 10K per year at a lower payment also.

They also told me that when I get close to the end of the lease, I can just tell them I'm going to buy it (or not) and we'll work out the terms, or I get the trade-in value towards another lease or purchase.

I got everything I wanted, except the STI performance exhaust, which wasn't a deal killer because I may change that later anyway.

Now the insurance....I asked my agent to quote me for the car and he acted like it was horrible, telling me that it was one of the worst (highest) premiums because it has a turbo...etc.....ended up being $90 a month (I laughed when he told me that), AND adding that car lowered my homeowners $300 a year (WTF?), don't know why but ok.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions. In all, I think I got a pretty good deal, especially compared to a few other dealers that I was talking to that did not want to budge off of the price at all.

Wow that’s awesome, i would say you got a really good deal. thanks again for being helpful. I may actually consider a STI but most likely a base no add-on one. I’m waiting for the 2019 money factors to come in so i can compare my best option for a lease. I really don’t want to settle at a WRX and just keep wishing to myself for the next 3 years i should have gone with the STI lol that’s my biggest fear.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:45 AM   #84
heatwave
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 STI
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim_Jim View Post

What was the negotiated price for the car if you don't mind me asking? I am on the fence about getting a 2018 limited. Price of the car is $43,410 and they offered it at $39,400. I would take it if it wasn't the improvements coming in 2019. Salesman told me the price is basically invoice minus hold back.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #85
vinnyc3nzo
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwave View Post
What was the negotiated price for the car if you don't mind me asking? I am on the fence about getting a 2018 limited. Price of the car is $43,410 and they offered it at $39,400. I would take it if it wasn't the improvements coming in 2019. Salesman told me the price is basically invoice minus hold back.

Would a dealer do that big of an offer on a brand new MY though? The changes on the 19 aren’t that significant IMO to pay MSRP or even a grand less for, +5HP and upgraded HU? You won’t even notice the HP upgrade.

I would go with the MY18 just because of that offer.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #86
heatwave
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 STI
WRB

Quote:
Would a dealer do that big of an offer on a brand new MY though? The changes on the 19 aren’t that significant IMO to pay MSRP or even a grand less for, +5HP and upgraded HU? You won’t even notice the HP upgrade.

I would go with the MY18 just because of that offer.
That's why I'm debating the value. In the Dallas area we have tons of subaru dealers so i can work that in my advantage. The dealer i got the offer from for the 2018 said they wont do invoice for the 2019.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #87
vinnyc3nzo
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
That's why I'm debating the value. In the Dallas area we have tons of subaru dealers so i can work that in my advantage. The dealer i got the offer from for the 2018 said they wont do invoice for the 2019.

Are you leasing or financing?
Old 06-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #88
heatwave
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 STI
WRB

Quote:
Are you leasing or financing?
Finance it.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:24 PM   #89
Slim_Jim
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 473831
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI Limited
Lapis Blue Pearl

Quote:
I believe it was $39,323 (plus or minus a few $)...I put money down to cover taxes and fees. That price they offered sounds good to me. My local dealer has STI base models listed for $38,500 and will not deal. That's why I went to a bigger market area.

Now that the 2019's have been announced, I'm getting calls from the dealers that wouldn't work with me saying that they'll take any reasonable offer....uuhhhh...yeah....too late.
Slim_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:50 PM   #90
heatwave
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 STI
WRB

Im also wondering about why why the STI performance exhaust is no longer available on the 2019 STI. I understand the 2019 have a high flow design so does that mean its as good as what the former STI upgrade exhaust is?
Old 06-06-2018, 05:55 PM   #91
BHOD
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX sport, 6MT
crystal BLACK silica

Quote:
No problem, I understand what you mean. Per thousand on the down payment only changes my monthly by my $25/$35, where as i could be better off just having the higher monthly and using that money to just pay my monthly’s/ save for insurance and what not.
It's not exactly what I meant. Your monthly payment will drop 25$/35$ like you said BUT if you calculate the total of all your monthly payment, plus your down payment, you are not saving a lot compare to the cash you put down. 1 to 5 maybe?
The reason is because you finance a lower amount, yes, but on the same period of time... so the interest still run.

Also, remember, the STi cost more almost everywhere than the WRX which is still a really fun daily driving.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:21 PM   #92
vinnyc3nzo
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
It's not exactly what I meant. Your monthly payment will drop 25$/35$ like you said BUT if you calculate the total of all your monthly payment, plus your down payment, you are not saving a lot compare to the cash you put down. 1 to 5 maybe?
The reason is because you finance a lower amount, yes, but on the same period of time... so the interest still run.

Also, remember, the STi cost more almost everywhere than the WRX which is still a really fun daily driving.
ahhh i see what you mean, in total i would be paying a lot more overall. makes perfect sense now. what do you recommend? just dealing with a higher monthly payment and using my down payment money to just pay the higher monthly payments?
Old 06-06-2018, 10:53 PM   #93
hippiegrinder
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 486900

Hey guys! I'm new to the forums and the STI. I'm coming from a '14 Subaru Legacy which was a great car but way boring. I test drove an '18 3.6 Legacy. Which was very nice, but soft suspension and was slow. Found a dealer an hour away and drove an '18 STI. Now that is the experience I am looking for. I placed my order with a local dealer for a 2019 STI base WRB on June 2. Confirmation email estimates delivery last week of September. Price was $35,675, auto dim mirror with compass $154, all weather floor mats $89, and rear aero splash guards $129. Grand total is $36,047 not including TTL.

Not to derail the thread but do you think the '19 will have the same exhaust geometry? I want to get a headstart and order a Nameless muffler delete.
hippiegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:33 PM   #94
BHOD
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX sport, 6MT
crystal BLACK silica

Quote:
ahhh i see what you mean, in total i would be paying a lot more overall. makes perfect sense now. what do you recommend? just dealing with a higher monthly payment and using my down payment money to just pay the higher monthly payments?
Noooo If you give a cash down, obviously you finance your lease on smaller amount and you save money overall but not that much considering the effort to put a big cash down and the risk to lose that money if something bad happen (or change your mind) and you have/want to break the contract. My advice is choose something you can afford taking in account the fact you probably need a second set of wheels with winter tire (STi is 18inch)? If you lease on a long term, there will be a brake job, new tires... etc.
(Sometimes we need to calculate the overall expense... it's silly )

Then you negotiate the best final price and try to choose not more than 3years to avoid wear maintenance.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:23 AM   #95
vinnyc3nzo
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Noooo If you give a cash down, obviously you finance your lease on smaller amount and you save money overall but not that much considering the effort to put a big cash down and the risk to lose that money if something bad happen (or change your mind) and you have/want to break the contract. My advice is choose something you can afford taking in account the fact you probably need a second set of wheels with winter tire (STi is 18inch)? If you lease on a long term, there will be a brake job, new tires... etc.

(Sometimes we need to calculate the overall expense... it's silly )

Then you negotiate the best final price and try to choose not more than 3years to avoid wear maintenance.

Gotcha, I know if I go with a WRX lease, it’s only maybe a $20-$50 difference considering the options i would want on it, I just would rather enjoy driving something i absolutely love instead of settling with a WRX. The residual is also a $3k difference at most with a higher resale value as well. I would only put down a few thousand and the just use the rest in a separate auto-pay bank account and then just transfer a few hundred every pay check to lengthen the auto pay to two and a half years and at that point i basically am only paying $220 maximum a month out of my income (disregarding the money i have saved specifically for the monthly payments).

You’re absolutely right with the second set of tires because the 18’ STI comes with 19” in fact (which is ridiculous IMO).

Does warranty not cover breaks? I really do plan on selling these stock wheels though. It’s my least favorite thing about the car.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:24 AM   #96
BHOD
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX sport, 6MT
crystal BLACK silica

Quote:
Gotcha, I know if I go with a WRX lease, it’s only maybe a $20-$50 difference considering the options i would want on it, I just would rather enjoy driving something i absolutely love instead of settling with a WRX. The residual is also a $3k difference at most with a higher resale value as well. I would only put down a few thousand and the just use the rest in a separate auto-pay bank account and then just transfer a few hundred every pay check to lengthen the auto pay to two and a half years and at that point i basically am only paying $220 maximum a month out of my income (disregarding the money i have saved specifically for the monthly payments).

You’re absolutely right with the second set of tires because the 18’ STI comes with 19” in fact (which is ridiculous IMO).

Does warranty not cover breaks? I really do plan on selling these stock wheels though. It’s my least favorite thing about the car.

In regard of wheels size, what I wanted to say here
Quote:
wheels with winter tire (STi is 18inch)
18inchs wheels (obviously not all model) is the minimum you can put on a STi.
As an exemple, the former 18inchs wheels fits (that's the wheels they put on the base STi model here)
Old 06-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #97
heatwave
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 STI
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiegrinder View Post
Hey guys! I'm new to the forums and the STI. I'm coming from a '14 Subaru Legacy which was a great car but way boring. I test drove an '18 3.6 Legacy. Which was very nice, but soft suspension and was slow. Found a dealer an hour away and drove an '18 STI. Now that is the experience I am looking for. I placed my order with a local dealer for a 2019 STI base WRB on June 2. Confirmation email estimates delivery last week of September. Price was $35,675, auto dim mirror with compass $154, all weather floor mats $89, and rear aero splash guards $129. Grand total is $36,047 not including TTL.

Not to derail the thread but do you think the '19 will have the same exhaust geometry? I want to get a headstart and order a Nameless muffler delete.
I would suspect it won't be the same as the 2018. It will most likely be the same set up as the Type RA. There have been some modifications from what i remember reading on the RA thread. Since the STI performance exhaust is no longer available for the STI i would suspect its due to the design change. I would hold off on any orders until the first 2019 hit the lots and we can see.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:18 AM   #98
Kyle_132
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 469152

I wish they added Desert Khaki instead of cool Gray Khaki. I work at a Subaru dealership in Florida. The cool gray khaki doesn’t look as baby blue in person. But still has that blue look in bright lighting
Kyle_132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #99
mrradio
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 387599

Anyone get a preorder in in New England yet? I've been waiting patiently for me dealer to contact me...
mrradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:44 AM   #100
shadowsports
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 446364
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
'17 STI LMT '08 LGT
DGM / QSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booSTid scooby12 View Post
Good luck with that.
They will have to do something to compete. Either redesign the EJ or FA, but more HP either way.
shadowsports is offline   Reply With Quote