Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 18, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2018, 05:44 PM   #1
three60austin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487595
Join Date: Jun 2018
Default Another Cranks but no start. Have changed many many parts.

2002 Wrx Wagon. Bone stock.

All the sudden no start. No signs.

What I know:
No power to ecu
No power to DLC
Changed all fuses
Changed engine bay fuse box
Changed main relay
Changed fuel pump relay
Changed ecu

Good compression. Motor was running great until this happened. All battery terminals are great. Battery is new. I'm at a loss.

Have snap on solus pro, power probe, volt meter, pin charts, diagrams, etc. But stating to get overwhelmed.

Oh. Hi by the way, I'm Austin and this is my first post. Thanks in advance.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
three60austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
three60austin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487595
Join Date: Jun 2018
Default

Tough crowd.

How about this, can anyone tell me what ground location GE-2 is?

Still following the diagram. Thinking it's a ground perhaps.
three60austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:15 PM   #3
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

Dude....really?
Weekend, less,than 4 hours from first post, free info....?

Not fast enough, call a shop to have them shovel parts at maybe $100/hr plus part mark up.

Sheesh.......

OK, trying to help.

Does it crank?
Why the Frikkin throw parts at it, troubleshoot. Many times, I get a job like this and at least 30% is fixing the issues from parts throwing.

Any recent engine/fuel work?
Recent fuel fillup?

How about learning to meter fuses, don't just swap crap.

Waiting on replies.
.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:05 PM   #4
three60austin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487595
Join Date: Jun 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Dude....really?
Weekend, less,than 4 hours from first post, free info....?

Not fast enough, call a shop to have them shovel parts at maybe $100/hr plus part mark up.

Sheesh.......

OK, trying to help.

Does it crank?
Why the Frikkin throw parts at it, troubleshoot. Many times, I get a job like this and at least 30% is fixing the issues from parts throwing.

Any recent engine/fuel work?
Recent fuel fillup?

How about learning to meter fuses, don't just swap crap.

Waiting on replies.
.
I had a second question from following a wiring diagram. I'll keep the comedy to a minimum.

I am throwing parts because it just so happens I have 2 parts cars sitting. The fuses I "threw" at it we're simply because SBF fuses can look ok, and not be. I ruled out the simple stuff at first. I can't believe none of the stuff I have already done didn't fix it.

As far as your answers,

Yes, cranks, doesn't start.

No recent work.
No recent fill ups.
No fuel changes what's over.

I guess I could have measured continuity on the Slow Burn Fuses. But in order to do that I would have to pull them out anyways. So I just changed them.

Thanks for the reply.
three60austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:42 AM   #5
LedDriver
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 451791
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Washington
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Dark Gray

Default

Are you sure everything is plugged in? I'd retrace the install and make sure all the connectors are plugged into the right place.
LedDriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #6
three60austin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487595
Join Date: Jun 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedDriver View Post
Are you sure everything is plugged in? I'd retrace the install and make sure all the connectors are plugged into the right place.
I've retraced my tracks and still all the same issues as before. Still no power to pin D2 & D3. Still no power to the DLC. And still just cranks and no start.

I read on here that there was an issue with someone's o2 sensors grounding out causing SBF no. 5 to burn out. That's what lead me to changing the SBF's. I unplugged both o2 sensors to check all connections. No issues there. All wiring is clean and clear.

Engine bay fuse box, fuse no. 9. The Black/Red wire feeding that circuit has power, but when I test the actual fuse, it doesnt have power. Should it? I don't see any relays in the diagram that power that circuit.
three60austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #7
three60austin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487595
Join Date: Jun 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by three60austin View Post
I've retraced my tracks and still all the same issues as before. Still no power to pin D2 & D3. Still no power to the DLC. And still just cranks and no start.

I read on here that there was an issue with someone's o2 sensors grounding out causing SBF no. 5 to burn out. That's what lead me to changing the SBF's. I unplugged both o2 sensors to check all connections. No issues there. All wiring is clean and clear.

Engine bay fuse box, fuse no. 9. The Black/Red wire feeding that circuit has power, but when I test the actual fuse, it doesnt have power. Should it? I don't see any relays in the diagram that power that circuit.
Also I searched with no luck, maybe someone with experience, or a handy collection of PDF's, could tell me where the GE-2 Ground location is.
three60austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:15 AM   #8
three60austin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487595
Join Date: Jun 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by three60austin View Post
Also I searched with no luck, maybe someone with experience, or a handy collection of PDF's, could tell me where the GE-2 Ground location is.
After further reading, I found GE 2 on passenger side engine compartment. And no issues there either.
three60austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:00 AM   #9
chilakas
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 210354
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kenosha Wisconsin
Vehicle:
2003 Wrx
Blue

Default

If i was you i would try to see what im not getting to the engine fuel? Spark? Once you figure that you can start seeing what it could be.
chilakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:19 AM   #10
three60austin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487595
Join Date: Jun 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilakas View Post
If i was you i would try to see what im not getting to the engine fuel? Spark? Once you figure that you can start seeing what it could be.
No fuel. No spark. I'm beyond that. I'm trying to figure out why.
three60austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:36 AM   #11
three60austin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487595
Join Date: Jun 2018
Default

Anyone with similar issues?
three60austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:24 PM   #12
aberger19707
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 467128
Join Date: May 2017
Location: boise, id
Vehicle:
1998 LGT w/EJ205
Green

Default

look into the crank/cam sensors. those would inhibit starting up
aberger19707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:54 PM   #13
three60austin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487595
Join Date: Jun 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberger19707 View Post
look into the crank/cam sensors. those would inhibit starting up
They would inhibit a no start/no spark issue. However they would not tie into the no power to the ECU. Am I right?
three60austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:44 AM   #14
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

did you try swaping the ecu?
subaru_gc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #15
silverbullet55
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 445403
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberger19707 View Post
look into the crank/cam sensors. those would inhibit starting up
I agree! both easy to swap out
silverbullet55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:09 PM   #16
CarmelValleyWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 453872
Join Date: Sep 2016
Vehicle:
2005 wrx wagon
48w

Default

it sounds like he has no power to the ECU.

does the CEL light up? if not start at the ecu. if yes, ecu is working but is not getting enough signals to start up.

i would set a mouse trap and see if it catches anything. could be chewed wire under the dash.
CarmelValleyWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #17
three60austin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487595
Join Date: Jun 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru_gc8 View Post
did you try swaping the ecu?
Yes, I have tried a known good ECU with no changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmelValleyWRX View Post
it sounds like he has no power to the ECU.

does the CEL light up? if not start at the ecu. if yes, ecu is working but is not getting enough signals to start up.

i would set a mouse trap and see if it catches anything. could be chewed wire under the dash.
I do not recall right off hand if the CEL lights up, however, my scanner does not power up or even recognize it is plugged into the DLC.

I am almost 100% sure the CEL is illuminating as it should since I was checking for the normal fuel prime before startup a million times. But im going to double check.

Thanks for the replies, I will check on this tomorrow or late this evening and get back to you.
three60austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.