Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday September 20, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Southern California Impreza Club
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2017, 12:30 AM   #1
JVEC
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 48300
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Mooresville, NC
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Blue

Default Anyone ever used GCH Longblock Racing in Pomona?

Looking for some help from folks in the SoCal area. There's a machine shop advertising on the FB Subie pages called GCH Longblock Racing (aka George's Cylinder Head, formerly of Tucson, AZ) and I'd like to find out if anyone has used or purchased from them? I've got an EJ205 that needs heads and they have fully rebuilt ones for a solid price. But I am not local and would rather have some sort of validation if I'm going to pursue it.

Thanks!

Jeremy
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
JVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:54 PM   #2
Awd.Son
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 280078
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Inland Empire
Vehicle:
2006 STI
Aspen Hwite

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVEC View Post
Looking for some help from folks in the SoCal area. There's a machine shop advertising on the FB Subie pages called GCH Longblock Racing (aka George's Cylinder Head, formerly of Tucson, AZ) and I'd like to find out if anyone has used or purchased from them? I've got an EJ205 that needs heads and they have fully rebuilt ones for a solid price. But I am not local and would rather have some sort of validation if I'm going to pursue it.

Thanks!

Jeremy
I've heard mixed things if that helps.
Awd.Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
JVEC
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 48300
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Mooresville, NC
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Blue

Default

It does, yes. They have a post up regarding their cyl heads, with a pair being refurbished for various models for only $500 with core. Very cheap for machine work and new components. That would be an inherent value if they are decent, but wasted money if they're not.
JVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:46 PM   #4
Snailtrail86
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 479132
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVEC View Post
Looking for some help from folks in the SoCal area. There's a machine shop advertising on the FB Subie pages called GCH Longblock Racing (aka George's Cylinder Head, formerly of Tucson, AZ) and I'd like to find out if anyone has used or purchased from them? I've got an EJ205 that needs heads and they have fully rebuilt ones for a solid price. But I am not local and would rather have some sort of validation if I'm going to pursue it.

Thanks!

Jeremy

These guys are not from Arizona, look it up, these guys in Pomona Cali donít have too many complaints
Snailtrail86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:17 AM   #5
JVEC
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 48300
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Mooresville, NC
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snailtrail86 View Post
These guys are not from Arizona, look it up, these guys in Pomona Cali don’t have too many complaints
They are in fact from AZ, now located in SoCal (i.e. Pomona) which is the reason I put that tricky little word "formerly" in there. It is also why I posted in the SoCal forum. The complaints in question were confirmed by the person I contacted that works there. If you'd like to examine their BBB reviews (as I did before I posted), feel free.

https://www.bbb.org/tucson/business-...on-az-20007584

As you can tell, I did actually 'look it up' prior to starting the thread and as it states, I'm looking for personal experiences from people that have dealt with the shop. So your I'd like to say your post is helpful, but it isn't. You're merely restating information that has already been established. So do you have any personal experience with this shop, or just looking for things to post on?
JVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #6
Snailtrail86
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 479132
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVEC View Post
They are in fact from AZ, now located in SoCal (i.e. Pomona) which is the reason I put that tricky little word "formerly" in there. It is also why I posted in the SoCal forum. The complaints in question were confirmed by the person I contacted that works there. If you'd like to examine their BBB reviews (as I did before I posted), feel free.

https://www.bbb.org/tucson/business-...on-az-20007584

As you can tell, I did actually 'look it up' prior to starting the thread and as it states, I'm looking for personal experiences from people that have dealt with the shop. So your I'd like to say your post is helpful, but it isn't. You're merely restating information that has already been established. So do you have any personal experience with this shop, or just looking for things to post on?
You sound very confident itís them, maybe you should actually call them to verify itís the same exact business, anyone else who is curious should also call them up to verify, the place in Arizona that is. I did and they have not changed there spot or name in Airzona, thereís like a million Georgeís out the there and maybe a few who do Cylinder heads, correct research first then you can assume later
Snailtrail86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:40 PM   #7
JVEC
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 48300
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Mooresville, NC
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snailtrail86 View Post
You sound very confident itís them, maybe you should actually call them to verify itís the same exact business, anyone else who is curious should also call them up to verify, the place in Arizona that is. I did and they have not changed there spot or name in Airzona, thereís like a million Georgeís out the there and maybe a few who do Cylinder heads, correct research first then you can assume later
Let me try a different tactic here, because it doesn't seem like my message is getting through. Do you...Snailtrail...have any experience or affiliation with this shop...in Pomona, CA? I don't know how I can be any clearer on this.
JVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:54 PM   #8
HeyChris
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 2234
Join Date: Aug 2000
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Behind The Orange Curtain.
Vehicle:
2013 F-XT
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

@JVEC, don't feed the trolls.... You should know better.

HeyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:18 PM   #9
JVEC
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 48300
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Mooresville, NC
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyChris View Post
@JVEC, don't feed the trolls.... You should know better.

You're right. I should.
JVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:16 PM   #10
DariusWelds619
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 468838
Join Date: Jun 2017
Default Soon to be

My 05 sti motor went 4 days after I picked it up (possibly not tuned back to stock set up), anyways im expecting to purchase the stage 2 long block with an exchange of my motor. So if you are willing to wait a couple months while I save for the install costs and tuning costs etc etc. I can get back to you on this subject.
DariusWelds619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:30 PM   #11
WRB Kid
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 184383
Join Date: Jul 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
2009 Apollo 335i

Default

Stay away from GCH in Pomona they are very shady. I have a lot of experience with how shady they are. George and his son donít really know what they are talking about and their work is subpar
WRB Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #12
Awd.Son
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 280078
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Inland Empire
Vehicle:
2006 STI
Aspen Hwite

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRB Kid View Post
Stay away from GCH in Pomona they are very shady. I have a lot of experience with how shady they are. George and his son donít really know what they are talking about and their work is subpar
I didn't want to be the guy to say it.. lol
Awd.Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:22 PM   #13
JVEC
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 48300
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Mooresville, NC
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusWelds619 View Post
My 05 sti motor went 4 days after I picked it up (possibly not tuned back to stock set up), anyways im expecting to purchase the stage 2 long block with an exchange of my motor. So if you are willing to wait a couple months while I save for the install costs and tuning costs etc etc. I can get back to you on this subject.
I would appreciate that, yes. Thank you!
JVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:24 PM   #14
JVEC
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 48300
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Mooresville, NC
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRB Kid View Post
Stay away from GCH in Pomona they are very shady. I have a lot of experience with how shady they are. George and his son donít really know what they are talking about and their work is subpar
Thats good info. They're advertising like mad on Facebook and while the pictures look good, that is no metric for their measuring capabilities. Thank you!
JVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:25 PM   #15
JVEC
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 48300
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Mooresville, NC
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awd.Son View Post
I didn't want to be the guy to say it.. lol
Lol! I've heard enough to know they aren't for me. Thanks to you guys for the input.
JVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:04 AM   #16
jdmct9mr
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 289223
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2015 STI
CBS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVEC View Post
Lol! I've heard enough to know they aren't for me. Thanks to you guys for the input.


Contact a reputable shop. I highly recommend AQ Motorsports in Torrance. They are very well known and trusted in the Subaru community. Their pricing is very fair but the top notch work and honesty have kept me as a customer for 3+ years.
jdmct9mr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:38 PM   #17
Awd.Son
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 280078
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Inland Empire
Vehicle:
2006 STI
Aspen Hwite

Default

.....

Last edited by Awd.Son; 01-25-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Awd.Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:03 PM   #18
Snailtrail86
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 479132
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVEC View Post
They are in fact from AZ, now located in SoCal (i.e. Pomona) which is the reason I put that tricky little word "formerly" in there. It is also why I posted in the SoCal forum. The complaints in question were confirmed by the person I contacted that works there. If you'd like to examine their BBB reviews (as I did before I posted), feel free.

https://www.bbb.org/tucson/business-...on-az-20007584

As you can tell, I did actually 'look it up' prior to starting the thread and as it states, I'm looking for personal experiences from people that have dealt with the shop. So your I'd like to say your post is helpful, but it isn't. You're merely restating information that has already been established. So do you have any personal experience with this shop, or just looking for things to post on?
You know how I know, I work there and Iím just on here to clear up anyone who actually believes people like you, so if anyone needs proof that we never set foot in Airzona hit me up I have all the proof including documentationís invoices picture address and Legal info, were a legit legal business that tryís hard to do everything honest while trying to run a good business for all those Subie fans. The reason our prices a so low is because weíre small, really small so we canít compete side by side with awesome places like IAG, we respect there work and anyone who tryís hard to make an honest living, We can anwser questions and we have expert and legit references we can give out.
Snailtrail86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:28 AM   #19
Prometheus
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 247068
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Seattle, Washington
Vehicle:
1995 RX-7
Brilliant Black (PZ)

Default

GCH Racing Long Block came through for me & produced an EJ25 long block with 24 hours notice for a very fair price.

I installed the engine myself with the help of a friend & we had some no spark issues (some pins got bent when installing the 2x large harness plugs from the engine to the chassis harness...)

The issues I was facing were from a rushed install & working late into the night. (I got sloppy)

The guys at GCH answered every call & email, helping verify issues. (great customer service)

I ended up having to send the car to an independent mechanic to finally diagnose the no spark issue, because I had to head back to Seattle (where I live) to go back to work.

We are still in the break-in stage, so I can update as the engine ages.

I'd highly recommend GCH Racing Long Block. (SO FAR SO GOOD)

Please reference my thread, to help guide your decision making.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2870563
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:52 AM   #20
Prometheus
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 247068
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Seattle, Washington
Vehicle:
1995 RX-7
Brilliant Black (PZ)

Default

My dad just took his car into his mechanic for the post break in inspection & service.

switched from the break in oil to synthetic

adjusted the valves.

inspected everything

the mechanic said the work done is of great quality & everything seemed as it should be.

I'll update this thread periodically as the engine gets worked in.

My Mom & Dad road trip frequently with a fully loaded roof mounted cargo box & tow a small teardrop trailer.

I'm going to say it again.

Thank you, to GCH Longblock Racing for your great customer service & quality work.
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.