Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday August 14, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2018, 07:18 PM   #1
fleezy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 436768
Join Date: Dec 2015
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Toronto
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Default 02-07 Axle Compatability

Howdy.

What years' axles are compatible with each other through 2002-2007 WRX sedans?

The subaru parts site is all kcufed up and won't show me models, but there are something like 8 different PNs...

any insight?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
fleezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:56 PM   #2
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

Quick and easy, I look through RockAuto.
A little more involved, I use parts.subaru.com

Both will show (with a little digging) what years/models share the same PN.
For you, difference may also be wagon vs. sedan.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
Titter
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 416107
Join Date: Mar 2015
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Ontario, Canada
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
EJ207 Spec C 4EAT

Default

front axles havent changed in 15 years. female or male transmission stubs is all that matters.

rear axles you’ll need to make sure they are for the R160 or R180.
Titter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:12 PM   #4
fleezy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 436768
Join Date: Dec 2015
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Toronto
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Quick and easy, I look through RockAuto.
A little more involved, I use parts.subaru.com

Both will show (with a little digging) what years/models share the same PN.
For you, difference may also be wagon vs. sedan.
ye parts.subaru is super confused when it comes to axles, and rock auto lists axles with 8-10 PNs attached to them, that when looked up, don't display any applicable models on part.subaru... thus this post =/

i will likely concede to just buying fronts axles that are listed as Sedan under my year + engine on rock auto

Quote:
front axles havent changed in 15 years. female or male transmission stubs is all that matters.

rear axles you’ll need to make sure they are for the R160 or R180.
ye rears are more difficult to ensure you are getting the right ones.
fleezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:44 PM   #5
CaptainSlowbaru
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 445600
Join Date: Apr 2016
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Roberts Subaru-Downingtown, PA
Vehicle:
2002 Outback Sport
Green

Default

According to my source, transmissions built after 09/01/2003 have no stub shaft in the trans. In other words, MY02 and MY03 use female axles, MY04 and up require male axles. Additionally, there seems to be no difference between sedan and wagon axles (OE axles, that is).

On a side note, I urge extreme caution when buying rockauto (or any aftermarket) axles. I've learned the very hard way aftermarket axles for Subaru's are garbage.



This happened on an N/A car, 2500 miles from home.



And that happened to the replacement axle... 25 miles later.

[/hijack] Sorry, just feel very strongly on this subject!

Last edited by CaptainSlowbaru; 07-08-2018 at 05:49 PM.
CaptainSlowbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:10 AM   #6
Titter
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 416107
Join Date: Mar 2015
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Ontario, Canada
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
EJ207 Spec C 4EAT

Default 02-07 Axle Compatability

my 02 wrx automatic uses female axles up front. sti 6 speed from 01-19 use female axles up front. wrx 5 speed from 01-07 use male axles up front. not sure what 08-14 wrx 5 speeds use. not sure what n/a’s use.
Titter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #7
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 21145
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Not in my own time
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Default

Well, you're in Canada so there are differences between CDM and USDM.

2002 & 2003 5MT Front Axles are Female.
Samurai Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:57 PM   #8
fleezy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 436768
Join Date: Dec 2015
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Toronto
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
Well, you're in Canada so there are differences between CDM and USDM.

2002 & 2003 5MT Front Axles are Female.
is there a difference of such magnitude between CDM and USDM? I mean, i can see options like heated seats/mirrors, but axles?

Nevertheless, i have a MY04, but it was manufactured in May 2003 and I know I have female axles.

I understand the dangers of rockauto axles lol, but rockauto hasnt let me down yet!
fleezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:01 AM   #9
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 21145
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Not in my own time
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Default

I'm not referring to the quality of the axles, just the axle types.

USDM went to male front axles in 2004.
You can make the male axles work in a transmission that originally came with female axles IF you buy the axle stubs and install them in the transmission.
Samurai Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #10
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlowbaru View Post
According to my source, transmissions built after 09/01/2003 have no stub shaft in the trans. In other words, MY02 and MY03 use female axles, MY04 and up require male axles. Additionally, there seems to be no difference between sedan and wagon axles (OE axles, that is).

On a side note, I urge extreme caution when buying rockauto (or any aftermarket) axles. I've learned the very hard way aftermarket axles for Subaru's are garbage.


[/hijack] Sorry, just feel very strongly on this subject!
Were they new axles or remans? I have installed quite a few NEW axles from RA in Subaru with no issues. Oldest is likely 60K miles now.
Regular SureTrak and one other brand are what I have used.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:42 AM   #11
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleezy View Post
is there a difference of such magnitude between CDM and USDM? I mean, i can see options like heated seats/mirrors, but axles?

Nevertheless, i have a MY04, but it was manufactured in May 2003 and I know I have female axles.

I understand the dangers of rockauto axles lol, but rockauto hasnt let me down yet!
Some markets get different parts/models at a different time that others. The USDM is usually among the last to get changes.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.