Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday August 20, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-08-2018, 05:58 PM   #1
striktlysubie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 423516
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
Lightning Red

Default 2015 WRX clutch/tranny noise issues

I have a 2015 WRX premium. Quite a while back, I started to hear a squeal/grind type of noise when getting up and moving in first, right around the engagement point with the clutch. When it first happened, I honestly thought someone was beeping behind me as the noise somewhat resembles a broken car horn (I know noises are hard to type out, but think "eerrrr"). Over time, the noise has become more prominent, and I can also now get it to happen when shifting into 2nd, 3rd, and even reverse. I took it to the dealership a few months ago as I'm still under warranty, but they could not duplicate the problem. However, I feel that it actually becomes more prominent as I drive and the car warms up. So, they'd most likely need to keep the car and give me a loaner if I drop it off again, or at least drive it around for a bit. I've read some posts of other people having this issue, but I'm not sure of the actual part that may be the problem, and the fix. Bearing issue? Clutch plate? Master cylinder? Sheared gears?

Then, to add insult to injury, a few days after leaving the dealership with the problem unfixed, I started to hear a new persistent clunk/click noise when I push the clutch pedal in and out, right around the engagement point. You can also feel the pop in your foot. What is this? Common issue??
striktlysubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2018, 07:28 AM   #2
striktlysubie
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
Lightning Red

nobody?
Old 04-12-2018, 08:31 AM   #3
THNY
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 467735
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Base
Crystal White Pearl

I am at 48k miles on my 2015 and have had the same noise when releasing the clutch for about the past 5k miles. From reading up on it a little, I am pretty sure it is the wll known TOB issue and I am not too worried about it since it won't harm any other components. At some point before I hit 60k I'll have it fixed under warranty. I don't know about the other issues with the clutch pedal you mentioned.
THNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #4
striktlysubie
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
Lightning Red

After looking through various other threads, the following Youtube videos are what I actually submitted to my local Subaru dealership to give them an idea of the various issues I've experienced. Mind you, some of the videos are from older-model WRXs, bit give an accurate depiction of all 3 complaints I have:

(grind sound at 3 seconds)
(clutch pedal pop / click noise)
(throw out bearing? "whirr")
Old 05-01-2018, 02:23 PM   #5
jresler22
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 448106
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Premium
Dark Gray Metallic

Default Throw Out Bearing

Well I can definitely confirm there is a throw out bearing issue with a 2016 WRX because mine had issues. The issue started when I heard an annoying squealing sound that was constant and would go away when I pushed the clutch pedal in.

At first it was only noticeable when it was a cold start and damp out. That started last November, but continued to get louder and more frequent. Then in the last month or so it started to not go away even after the car would warm up and it didn't have to even be damp or cold out.

More than anything the noise was just bothersome so I finally took it into the dealer two weeks ago. The service adviser only asked if I needed it back right away because it was going to take a little while. After I never really got a call back to say what was going on, but when I called he said they trans was being pulled. When I went to pick it up he said they were one of the first dealers to deal with the throw out bearing issues and Subaru had to redesign the throw out bearing to correct the issue, and that was a little while back that they dealt with that.

Short story is they replaced the throw out bearing and a few other misc parts and it was all covered under warranty and so far no issues.
jresler22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:57 PM   #6
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by striktlysubie View Post
After looking through various other threads, the following Youtube videos are what I actually submitted to my local Subaru dealership to give them an idea of the various issues I've experienced. Mind you, some of the videos are from older-model WRXs, bit give an accurate depiction of all 3 complaints I have:
First one, can't tell.
Second one, sounds like firewall mount cracks or broken clutch shaft tube over your toes.
Third one, sounds like ToB.

Plenty of threads on 2&3, some are stickies in the warranty section.
Charlie-III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:43 PM   #7
wagthecar
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 406149

When I first start my 2017 wrx up and push in the clutch it has a squealing sound, but after a few miles it goes away, I'm not sure why it would do that, but it does. I figured it to be "normal" no warranty left here, but we'll cross the bridge of fixing it when it gets bad.
wagthecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:04 PM   #8
Turbug
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 485736

My 2003 wrx makes a sort of grinding sound at low rps while coasting.. not sure if this is the same issue or not though.
Turbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:26 PM   #9
striktlysubie
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
Lightning Red

Thanks for sharing your experience with this jresler22. I ended up taking the car to my local dealer a few weeks ago, and they had it for over a week. I don't have the repair forms in front of me right now, but in a nutshell, there were clear issues going on despite some of the noises not being duplicated by them. I ended up getting some of the clutch pedal complements, throw out bearing, friction disc, and even flywheel replaced, as they noticed uneven wear in the bearing which affected and scored ("blued") other parts of the tranny. All three of the noises seem to have subsided for now, and I hope they don't return. Keeping an eye on it, as well as my driving habits...
Old 07-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #10
striktlysubie
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
Lightning Red

Still pretty good thus far, but the clutch pedal is making a click/pop noise again when depressed and let off. Annoying.