Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday October 16, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-02-2018, 07:05 PM   #1
Threash
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 462764
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Premium

Default 2016 WRX clutch concerns

Back in May I started having a chirping noise when the clutch pedal was not depressed which turned out to be the throwout bearing (the noise was excessively loud and did not go away during wet/dry). I got it into the dealer within a few days and it was pretty hassle free where it was replaced (32k miles on the car). However under four weeks later the chirping was back again (33k miles on the car). I immediately got it back into the dealer which replaced the TOB, clutch fork and pivot ball.

It's been seemingly smooth since I got it back about a week ago but I'm worried about long term reliability now. There was no cause provided for the initial failure or the failure on the replacement TOB so quickly. I like to push my car every now and again like everyone else but most of my driving is made up with my commute for work. Even when having some fun with it, I'm not redlining or anything like that just having fun and I've never clutch dumped.

Should I worry about the replacement pieces failing again and causing me large bills (I'm out of 3/36 warranty in two weeksí time)? I'm tempted to trade it in for something else as the value certainly wouldn't be any higher than it is right now. Obviously I'm torn on that but trying to weigh against the unknown of what caused the failures, especially so quickly after replacement.
Threash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #2
CaptainSlowbaru
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 445600
Vehicle:
2002 Outback Sport
Green

It's hard to say why the replacement release bearing went bad so soon. Subaru issued a TSB (03-78-17) in January 2017 stating a design change to the release bearing. Maybe they accidentally installed old inventory?

Also for your reference, there is a TSB (12-215-17) for an updated pedal assembly (due to noise), and another TSB (03-79-18R) for an updated flywheel, disc and disc cover (for better durability).

Bottom line, as long as the upgraded part was installed the second time, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Besides, the parts warranty should be good for a little longer than your 3/36.
CaptainSlowbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:19 PM   #3
Threash
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 462764
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlowbaru View Post
It's hard to say why the replacement release bearing went bad so soon. Subaru issued a TSB (03-78-17) in January 2017 stating a design change to the release bearing. Maybe they accidentally installed old inventory?

Also for your reference, there is a TSB (12-215-17) for an updated pedal assembly (due to noise), and another TSB (03-79-18R) for an updated flywheel, disc and disc cover (for better durability).

Bottom line, as long as the upgraded part was installed the second time, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Besides, the parts warranty should be good for a little longer than your 3/36.
Thanks for the response, I did check both repair invoices and they both state the new part number at least. The only note on the latest invoice was "throwout bearing was riding surfaces not completely smooth". Not sure if they could give me more information on that if I call but might be worth asking.

Like you said, if it was done right I probably shouldn't have to worry. We seem to be pretty close to each other location wise - it one of the dealers close-by and I had some issues where things were not done right in the last two months for other items like alignment, A/C repair (compressor had a leak, no big deal) among other things that is probably the reason it gives me pause. I know the same tech that worked on it the first time, did the work the second time too.

I actually couldn't seem to find anything on TSB (03-79-18R), was that a newer TSB? The parts warranty is 12 months as stated on their invoices.
Threash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:36 PM   #4
CaptainSlowbaru
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 445600
Vehicle:
2002 Outback Sport
Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threash View Post
I actually couldn't seem to find anything on TSB (03-79-18R), was that a newer TSB?
Yeah, that TSB only just came out in April.
CaptainSlowbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:41 AM   #5
Charlie_Bravo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 488183

First off Iím not a mechanic simply regurgitating some information. I own a 2016 WRX had the TOB replaced at 25,500 ish miles with the new updated bearing Iím pretty sure. Iím now at 52,000ish miles and just got my WRX back from the shop because the TOB went bad again. The fix at 25,500 miles was done at a Subaru Dealership. The fix at 52,000 I didnít go to the dealership for. The mechanic explained to me that the TOB is made of steel and the snout is aluminum. As the bearing goes back and forth it wears into the snout. Well he took pics and showed me and there were metal shavings all over the inside and the snout was worn down. So what they did to fix this was put a Tranquil TSK-3 in which is a steel sleeve that goes over the snout. So now itís steel on steel. Anyway thatís my experience on this situation thus far.
Charlie_Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote