Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday August 20, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-12-2018, 08:07 AM   #1
MilesTolle
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 488237
At the Track 1993 Subaru Legacy Noise around Torque Converter

I am trying to figure out where this noise is coming from, I am leaning toward the torque converter being the problem, but not 100 present sure and it is a lot of work to remove the transmission just to be wrong once placing in a new torque converter, So would like to get everyone's thoughts and will add a video if after I am done writing this up it allow's me to.

Here is some information on the car, as well what I have already tried and done. 1993 Subaru Legacy ls awd automatic transmission 2.2 engine...

Here is things I thought it was.... replaced power steering belt, replaced power steering assembly... replaced rack and pinion... even took out the rack completely and took off belt to see if I still heard the noise and I did.

The noise is coming if you are under the car really strong noise when it does it where the engine and transmission connect together..... Usually after starting up the car if i put the car in drive or reverse the noise starts without even moving forward or reverse just setting in place holding brake.... I can even sometimes get it to make the noise when pumping the brakes over and over and the noise will start.

once it starts making that noise if you are in drive or reverse and then put back to neutral or park it will make the noise for a while then gradually stop after a while.....

I seen a couple videos with the similar noise and they claimed they had to put grease on the real main oil seal and it fixed there problem... I was even going to try that but unlike there car I cannot get to my rear main oil seal by dropping the oil pan and seeing at least some of the seal.... so there is no way i can try that method by just taking off the oil pan to put some grease on oil seal

I have never heard this type of noise before on a car so I am unsure of what the problem is and like I said its a big job now for me at the age of 55 to lay on hard ground in a carport to remove the transmission to replace the converter.

So at least before I attempt to do that sort of work again I would like to be sure if possible that it is the converter making that noise..... So please if you have a thought on this please let me know Thank you....

MilesTolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2018, 03:42 PM   #2
MilesTolle
Scooby Newbie

well its not the torque converter after all, somewhere air is not getting out of the engine and its causing it to have to come though probable the rear main seal, air is building up inside the engine as you start the car and let it run for a few, then if you pull the oil dip stick a big sound of air comes out of the dip stick holder and the noise stops, then put back the dip stick when it builds up air again in the engine in like one minute the noise starts again till you pull up the oil dip stick again...........Anyone Know why air is building up inside the engine?
Old 07-12-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Likely guess..........worn piston rings, PCV is clogged. Pull that sucker out, shake end to end.

Rattles? Maybe OK.
No sound? Clean with a bunch of carb cleaner (through the ports on either end), or replace.

Bad rings will pressurize the crankcase, this will try to blow the dipstick out.

Leakdown test can help.

If it runs OK, Frikkin deal with it, save money.

I am still not sold that bad rings make the noise you reference, but hey, check it out.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 07-12-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:54 PM   #4
MilesTolle
Scooby Newbie

I had a guy that came by today that works on cars, that said he believed it was the head gasket causing air to get into the engine like that , I have not heard of that before in a blown head gasket usually car overheats I thought, Never heard of tons of air getting into engine to make that noise, then when I pull the dip stick out air comes out of the dip stick holder and noise stops.....
Old 07-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #5
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesTolle View Post
I had a guy that came by today that works on cars, that said he believed it was the head gasket causing air to get into the engine like that , I have not heard of that before in a blown head gasket usually car overheats I thought, Never heard of tons of air getting into engine to make that noise, then when I pull the dip stick out air comes out of the dip stick holder and noise stops.....
I say "highly unlikely" a bad HG.
Why?
Cooling passages are usually the first thing outside the cylinder, thus blowing coolant, pressure does not get to the crankcase with a bad HG.

Now, cracked head? Maybe. Still long shot.

BTW, I looked at a Subaru shortblock sitting on a stand before posting. Cooling is all around the cylinder, any oiling is outside that.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote