Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > General Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-03-2000, 02:59 PM   #1
RidinLow
Scooby Guru

Member#: 329
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1995 325i
Arctic Gray

Unhappy No more 16" Tire Rack takeoffs

Damn, I called Tire Rack today to get some Arctic Alpins & Graspic DS-1's, & for fun I tried to price 16" MY98 rims with R-compound tires, but they don't have any more gold rims, & they said they don't plan on getting any more!

So what's the next best thing here? I think I'm gonna put off the bargain JC turbo & get rims & R tires instead. My Nexuses aren't going to last 8000 miles at this rate, & I want some R tires to be competitive in DSP.
Old 10-03-2000, 03:39 PM   #2
dbrown
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 620
Check out http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/.

He want $130ea. I don't know how that compares to the old Tire Rack price.

Doug
Old 10-04-2000, 06:21 AM   #3
RidinLow
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1995 325i
Arctic Gray

Do they have 16" steel wheels for our cars? I'm figuring that the extra unsprung weight won't really make too much of a difference at the relatively smooth autox tracks.

Or maybe a 15" steel wheel setup with BFG gForce R1's? Anybody have any experience with that?
Old 10-04-2000, 08:51 AM   #4
RidinLow
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1995 325i
Arctic Gray

So nobody autoxes on 15"s?
Old 10-04-2000, 08:55 AM   #5
ColinL
Scooby Guru

Member#: 114
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
'03 Evo, Rice White
'01 Erion CBR 929

No but I did some research. The 15" subaru steels and alloys are 6" wide, at least every one I found was. Technically that is wide enough to physically mount a 225/50-15 or 225/45-15 but it will bow the sidewall and curve the tread face quite a bit.

In 15" you could use the Kosei K1 Racing, it's 15x7 +45. It has both 5x100 and some other bolt holes, but it will work. The other choice for me was a set of Advan RC or RG, but those are $1000 plus shipping at the cheapest (TRi Tuning). They are really damned light though, and the RC is very, very strong (a gravel rally wheel).
Old 10-04-2000, 09:01 AM   #6
RidinLow
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1995 325i
Arctic Gray

Thanks Colin,

I'm trying to keep this as low-budget as possible... looks like the OEM 16"s may be the best way to go. I had forgotten that the 15" rims are only 6" wide.

What do you autox on? Your AVS S1's?
Old 10-04-2000, 09:18 AM   #7
DuneHopper
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1249
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2000 OBS
White

Have a Nice Day?

That kinda sucks, RidinLow. Those 16" gold rims were the only inexpensive 16" wheels that fit that I've seen. I didn't want gold on my white OBS (yuck!), so I got the next cheapest, bestest 16" wheels I could find, which were, IMO, the Raceline RL-7's, at a little over $200 each.

I think the 15" alloy OEM takeoffs are still cheap, and I hear they're light.
Old 10-04-2000, 09:23 AM   #8
ColinL
Scooby Guru

Member#: 114
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
'03 Evo, Rice White
'01 Erion CBR 929

For now, yeah. I'm in SM as soon as I install the cams so that's why I've done the research on the 15" wheels.

I think I can be competitive in SM at the regional level. I'll go to divisionals too but expect to be soundly thrashed if any "real" SM cars show up. It doesn't matter to me because I have a lot of driving to learn and don't go out there just to win. I'd like to, sure! But I want to learn and have fun.
Old 10-04-2000, 09:29 AM   #9
mastervic27
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 557
Vehicle:
1999 Impreza 2.5RS
Vishnu Turbo

RidinLow,

You can find MY98 16" gold wheels at:
http://www.aaarims.com/cgi-bin/overstock/web_store.cgi

They are $150 each but if you get a set it is $140 each.

Old 10-04-2000, 09:32 AM   #10
RidinLow
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1995 325i
Arctic Gray

Another thought: does anybody make a 15x7 wheel that fits our cars?
Old 10-04-2000, 09:45 AM   #11
Patrick Olsen
Scooby Guru

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

I have 225/50-15 Kumho V700s on some 15x6" Legacy L take off rims (from the Tire Rack). They work just fine, but as Colin pointed out it's clearly NOT the optimum rim width for such a wide tire. The sidewalls angle in noticeably from the tread to the rim. I really didn't have much trouble with sidewall rolling since the V700s have a good stiff sidewall. Anyway, I didn't like the way the tires looked, and figured a wider rim would be better, so.....

I now have a set of 15x7" Raceline RL-7s in my garage. Cost, including two day UPS shipping from the UK to Connecticut, was about $800, maybe even a bit less. I got them through Deemon Tweeks in the UK, which took I think 3 weeks or so total (they don't normally keep the 15"ers in stock, so they had to get Raceline to make them). SPD carries Raceline rims, but he was out of 15"ers, and it would have cost WAY more for SPD to get them quickly for me. Deemon Tweeks was very helpful with the order - I was hoping to have them before I went to Lime Rock, so they 2 day UPS'd them to get them to me on Friday. Unfortunately, Customs held them up, so they showed up Monday, but then again the rims may have damaged if they had been on the car at Lime Rock.

The car is sitting at the body shop waiting for insurance resolution on whether or not it is totalled, so the RL-7s have never been on the car. However, they're +52mm or +53mm offset, so they should fit just fine. I haven't weighed them, but they seem pretty light. I think the 15" RL-7s are about the best option out there.

Pat Olsen
'99 Legacy 2.5GT 5speed sedan