Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday March 27, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #4601
Apedz215
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 328682

Well to make all of our lives worse o the east coast atleast, the port union for this side of the country is going on strike dec 29 if a new contract isnt reached.

News article my father sent me..

December 19, 2012

ILA Talks at a Standstill Over Royalties

Failure of the International Longshoremen's Association and United States Maritime Alliance to extend their contract negotiations raises the likelihood of a Maine-to-Texas dock strike at year-end.

"I think we'll be on strike," ILA President Harold Daggett said after federally mediated negotiations broke off amid disagreements over carrier-paid container royalties that provide annual payouts to ILA workers.

The current contract, already extended once past its original Sept. 30 expiration, is set to expire Dec. 29. ILA wage-scale delegates voted last week to authorize Daggett to call a strike if there was no agreement by Dec. 29.

Daggett said last week he would call off a threatened strike if negotiators could work out a deal on carrier-paid container royalties, which provide annual payouts to ILA members.

Dave Adam, executive vice president of USMX, said employers agreed Tuesday to a federal mediator's proposal that the parties return Jan. 7 after the holidays to begin two weeks of intensive negotiations.

The ILA proposed a contract extension to Feb. 1 - but insisted that USMX maintain the status quo on container royalties, something employers said was unacceptable.

At that point, the negotiations broke off.

"I told them they have until Dec. 29 to call me, and we'll talk," Daggett said. "Otherwise, at one minute past midnight on the (night of the) 29th, we'll be on strike. The ball's in their court."

The ILA and USMX have negotiating off and on since March for a six-year contract covering about 15,000 ILA members handling containerized and roll-on, roll-off cargo in East and Gulf Coast ports.

Negotiators agreed last summer on ILA demands for payment of workers displaced by automation, and for guarantees of ILA jurisdiction over chassis repairs. Top remaining issues are container royalties and local work rules.
Daggett said the ILA will not accept caps on carriers' per-ton payments of container royalties, a program established in the 1960s to compensate ILA workers for the loss of jobs to automation. USMX said carriers paid $211 million, or $10 per man-hour, in royalties last year.

USMX wants to freeze royalty payouts at current levels, and eliminate them for new hires. However, the employer group is proposing to use future growth in royalties for other ILA benefits, and has offered to guarantee that current workers continue receiving royalties at current levels for the next 25 years.

Royalty payments to workers - Daggett said they are "wage supplements," not bonuses - averaged $15,500 per worker last year. They ranged from a few thousand dollars in ports such as Jacksonville and New Orleans to $36,000 in Savannah and more than $20,000 in New York-New Jersey.
"Container royalties are the bloodline for the ILA members, for the international and for the districts," he said. Ten percent of carriers' royalty payments go to the ILA treasury.

Until there's a breakthrough on the royalty issue, the negotiations are at a standstill. Tuesday's meeting produced no movement on the issue.
"They absolutely refused to talk about royalties, and for us the term that's been used in discussions is 'a runaway train,' " Adam said. Carriers' royalty costs have soared by $180 million since royalty caps were eliminated three years ago. "It has cost the carriers dearly, with no measurable increase in productivity," he said.

Besides royalties, contract issues include management proposals to provide local negotiators with flexibility to address work rules such as relief-staffing requirements for that allow many workers to be paid when they're not working at the Port of New York and New Jersey.

Tuesday's breakdown of negotiations leaves forces shippers to accelerate strike contingency plans. Their limited options include diverting cargo to Canada, Mexico or the West Coast, or waiting and hoping their stockpiles are sufficient to ride out a strike.

"USMX and its members are disappointed with the breakdown of negotiations and the inflexible stance that the union's leaders have maintained over the nine-month course of these talks," said James A. Capo, USMX chairman and CEO. "It is especially disheartening given the history of cooperation that in the past has characterized negotiations with the ILA and, since 1977, has resulted in nine new agreements without a single strike or coastwide work stoppage."

Sixty-eight trade associations last week urged the ILA and USMX to "stay at the negotiating table until a deal is reached even if this extends beyond the current deadline of Dec. 29.

After negotiations broke off Tuesday, the National Retail Federation renewed its call for President Obama to seek an injunction under the Taft-Hartley Act if necessary to keep East and Gulf ports open.

"The last thing the economy needs right now is another strike, which would impact all international trade and commerce at the nation's East and Gulf Coast container ports. This is truly a 'container cliff' in the making," said Jonathan Gold, the federation's vice president for supply chain and customs policy.

"The retail industry, once again, calls on President Obama to engage directly in the negotiations. The resident should utilize all available tools, including Taft-Hartley, to eliminate even the threat of a strike or lockout," Gold said.

An ILA coastwide strike would affect container and roll-on, roll-off cargo covered by the master contract. The ILA said it would continue to work breakbulk, cruise and military ships covered by local agreements. The union said it also would work perishables, but refrigerated and military containers moving on container ships idled by the strike would be affected.
In addition to the coastwide negotiations between the ILA and USMX, a Dec. 31 expiration looms for the ILA's contract with the Metropolitan Marine Maintenance Contractors' Association, which represents New York-New Jersey equipment maintenance and repair companies. The Metro association's contract is not part of the coastwide master agreement, and a strike against the repair companies would idle the port.

The New York Shipping Association was disappointed by the failure of Tuesday's ILA-USMX negotiations, NYSA President Joseph Curto said. He said the NYSA is anxious to negotiate port-specific issues for NewYork-New Jersey under its local contract, which supplements the coastwide contract. But he said that until the master contract talks resume,
"Unfortunately, negotiating on New York issues will likely be placed on hold."

Source: Journal of Commerce
Apedz215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #4602
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 334780
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

Think about it though, what if you just saw a subaru commercial, went into the nearest subaru dealership, and went on everything they said? Never used google once or even attempted? You were just a run of the mill good-bro looking for a new car, and their advertising worked.

This is the assumption that you MUST make as a consumer because it's the business model they are operating under. At no time do they tell you to go do independent internet research into order times, no they quote you an ETA from day 1 and you expect them to adhere to it.

and i'm not melodramatic, i'm flirting with ketosis and have the patience of a starving infant at this point in my wait, and my diet.

blaaaaaargh
digitizedsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #4603
Djent
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 335681
Chapter/Region: International

Quote:
Originally Posted by tKbox View Post
Because he's melodramatic and he's been waititng for a long time.
In his defense, a dealer gave him an eta of early December and it has still yet to come. My eta is early jan and I'd be beyond pissed if it got pushed back....
Djent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #4604
Djent
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apedz215 View Post
Well to make all of our lives worse o the east coast atleast, the port union for this side of the country is going on strike dec 29 if a new contract isnt reached.

December 19, 2012

Failure of the International Longshoremen's Association and United States Maritime Alliance to extend their contract negotiations raises the likelihood of a Maine-to-Texas dock strike at year-end.

"I think we'll be on strike," ILA President Harold Daggett said after federally mediated negotiations broke off amid disagreements over carrier-paid container royalties that provide annual payouts to ILA workers.

The current contract, already extended once past its original Sept. 30 expiration, is set to expire Dec. 29. ILA wage-scale delegates voted last week to authorize Daggett to call a strike if there was no agreement by Dec. 29.

Daggett said last week he would call off a threatened strike if negotiators could work out a deal on carrier-paid container royalties, which provide annual payouts to ILA members.

Dave Adam, executive vice president of USMX, said employers agreed Tuesday to a federal mediator's proposal that the parties return Jan. 7 after the holidays to begin two weeks of intensive negotiations.

The ILA proposed a contract extension to Feb. 1 - but insisted that USMX maintain the status quo on container royalties, something employers said was unacceptable.

At that point, the negotiations broke off.

"I told them they have until Dec. 29 to call me, and we'll talk," Daggett said. "Otherwise, at one minute past midnight on the (night of the) 29th, we'll be on strike. The ball's in their court."

The ILA and USMX have negotiating off and on since March for a six-year contract covering about 15,000 ILA members handling containerized and roll-on, roll-off cargo in East and Gulf Coast ports.

Negotiators agreed last summer on ILA demands for payment of workers displaced by automation, and for guarantees of ILA jurisdiction over chassis repairs. Top remaining issues are container royalties and local work rules.
Daggett said the ILA will not accept caps on carriers' per-ton payments of container royalties, a program established in the 1960s to compensate ILA workers for the loss of jobs to automation. USMX said carriers paid $211 million, or $10 per man-hour, in royalties last year.

USMX wants to freeze royalty payouts at current levels, and eliminate them for new hires. However, the employer group is proposing to use future growth in royalties for other ILA benefits, and has offered to guarantee that current workers continue receiving royalties at current levels for the next 25 years.

Royalty payments to workers - Daggett said they are "wage supplements," not bonuses - averaged $15,500 per worker last year. They ranged from a few thousand dollars in ports such as Jacksonville and New Orleans to $36,000 in Savannah and more than $20,000 in New York-New Jersey.
"Container royalties are the bloodline for the ILA members, for the international and for the districts," he said. Ten percent of carriers' royalty payments go to the ILA treasury.

Until there's a breakthrough on the royalty issue, the negotiations are at a standstill. Tuesday's meeting produced no movement on the issue.
"They absolutely refused to talk about royalties, and for us the term that's been used in discussions is 'a runaway train,' " Adam said. Carriers' royalty costs have soared by $180 million since royalty caps were eliminated three years ago. "It has cost the carriers dearly, with no measurable increase in productivity," he said.

Besides royalties, contract issues include management proposals to provide local negotiators with flexibility to address work rules such as relief-staffing requirements for that allow many workers to be paid when they're not working at the Port of New York and New Jersey.

Tuesday's breakdown of negotiations leaves forces shippers to accelerate strike contingency plans. Their limited options include diverting cargo to Canada, Mexico or the West Coast, or waiting and hoping their stockpiles are sufficient to ride out a strike.

"USMX and its members are disappointed with the breakdown of negotiations and the inflexible stance that the union's leaders have maintained over the nine-month course of these talks," said James A. Capo, USMX chairman and CEO. "It is especially disheartening given the history of cooperation that in the past has characterized negotiations with the ILA and, since 1977, has resulted in nine new agreements without a single strike or coastwide work stoppage."

Sixty-eight trade associations last week urged the ILA and USMX to "stay at the negotiating table until a deal is reached even if this extends beyond the current deadline of Dec. 29.

After negotiations broke off Tuesday, the National Retail Federation renewed its call for President Obama to seek an injunction under the Taft-Hartley Act if necessary to keep East and Gulf ports open.

"The last thing the economy needs right now is another strike, which would impact all international trade and commerce at the nation's East and Gulf Coast container ports. This is truly a 'container cliff' in the making," said Jonathan Gold, the federation's vice president for supply chain and customs policy.

"The retail industry, once again, calls on President Obama to engage directly in the negotiations. The resident should utilize all available tools, including Taft-Hartley, to eliminate even the threat of a strike or lockout," Gold said.

An ILA coastwide strike would affect container and roll-on, roll-off cargo covered by the master contract. The ILA said it would continue to work breakbulk, cruise and military ships covered by local agreements. The union said it also would work perishables, but refrigerated and military containers moving on container ships idled by the strike would be affected.
In addition to the coastwide negotiations between the ILA and USMX, a Dec. 31 expiration looms for the ILA's contract with the Metropolitan Marine Maintenance Contractors' Association, which represents New York-New Jersey equipment maintenance and repair companies. The Metro association's contract is not part of the coastwide master agreement, and a strike against the repair companies would idle the port.

The New York Shipping Association was disappointed by the failure of Tuesday's ILA-USMX negotiations, NYSA President Joseph Curto said. He said the NYSA is anxious to negotiate port-specific issues for NewYork-New Jersey under its local contract, which supplements the coastwide contract. But he said that until the master contract talks resume,
"Unfortunately, negotiating on New York issues will likely be placed on hold."

Source: Journal of Commerce
**** damnit.. Why WHY WHYWHYHYHYHY
Old 12-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #4605
Apedz215
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djent View Post

In his defense, a dealer gave him an eta of early December and it has still yet to come. My eta is early jan and I'd be beyond pissed if it got pushed back....
In my defense, i was told 6-8 weeks eta, its now 9..
Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #4606
Djent
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apedz215 View Post
In my defense, i was told 6-8 weeks eta, its now 9..
If you haven't gotten a vin, your eta doesn't mean **** if it hasn't been at least 10 weeks.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #4607
Horuku
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 309930
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2013 STI Sedan
Plasma Blue Pearl

Just because I like harassing this thread, I was told a wait time of 12-16 weeks and mine was delivered in 6 weeks .

Should be selling my WRX either today or tomorrow to a friend, and then Heuberger is going to valet me from my bank to come sign papers for my STi .
Horuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #4608
Apedz215
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djent View Post

If you haven't gotten a vin, your eta doesn't mean **** if it hasn't been at least 10 weeks.
Im also through sdc and they dont get vins till its in port so...

Last edited by Apedz215; 12-19-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #4609
NEATman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 337347

My horrible experience with Manchester Subaru (commence rant):

I had ordered a '12 WRX Limited hatchback back on June 26th - I was told 6-8 weeks by Manchester Subaru, here in Manchester NH.
7 weeks went by, and I heard nothing from the dealer, so I gave them a call. I was told "Oh, the factory told us that we can't place any more orders for '12 models - yours will be a '13 instead. It will be another 6-8 weeks." I think something this important should have triggered a call to me. This was the first warning sign.

Another 6 weeks went by, and still no call back from the dealer.
I called them, and was told that it was "on order, but no VIN had been assigned yet. A couple more weeks and it'll be here". I called SOA - Not really any help at all. They had less info than the dealer. Should be called SOL. Incredibly infuriating experience. How can a $30k car NOT BE TRACKED THROUGH EVER STAGE OF THE BUILD & SHIPMENT? I can buy some toy on EBAY for $2 and have a tracking number when it ships. THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE! They need to learn from Mini - every customer can track the car through build, and shipment - you can even track the boat from the UK to the US! They have been doing this for at least 10 years now. Check it out here:
http://www.in2guitar.com/miniorder.html

A couple more weeks went by, and at this point, I was calling the dealer every couple days looking for an update. I was told that a VIN had been assigned, and was told it would now take about a month to arrive. Then we reviewed the options on the car, as I still didn't trust them, and they had given me the VIN for a base model - someone else's car! Still no VIN, and no updates, no idea where it was, and I was losing confidence that they even had it on order.

At 17 weeks, I put another down payment at another dealer in CT, Mitchell Subaru. They found me a car exactly what I wanted in NJ, at Liberty Subaru, and told me they would work to get it transferred. They called Liberty Subaru in NJ several times for 4 or 5 days, and never received a call back. I then called Liberty direct, and expressed interest in the same car. They said yes, it was still for sale and that I could put a down payment on it over the phone. I thought "Great!", at this point I was willing to drive 400 miles to go get the car I wanted. So I asked the salesman why they had not returned the calls to Mitchell Subaru, who had been working very hard for my business. He flatly told me that there was enough local interest in the car, and they didn't want to trade the car. Then I was told that the deposits are non-refundable in NJ. These two facts made me question their integrity to the point that I didn't trust them AT ALL.

Back at Manchester Subaru, it was now the end of October, 18 weeks had passed since the order was first placed. I had no more information that day than the day I ordered the car. STILL NO VIN. What PISSED ME OFF THE MOST was that the base model car that they had given me the VIN for was on the lot, waiting to be picked up. Also, they had a sedan in the showroom, which was a Limited that had also just arrived. So, clearly there was no issue getting a WRX hatchback or getting a WRX Limited, as they had just received a shipment. BTW, these cars were ordered AFTER I HAD PLACED MY ORDER. I had leads on two other cars at other dealers that were close to what we ordered, and I asked them to call about having one transferred. They were lesser models, with fewer options. They made some calls, and came back with a price that was $320 less than the price for the top-of-the-line model I had ordered. There should have been at least a $1000 difference. I told the sales manager to screw himself and I got my deposit back. STAY AWAY FROM MANCHESTER SUBARU!

The following week, on Nov.1, Mitchell Subaru found me a car; we happily drove to CT and picked it up. It's just what we wanted, and I have been recommending Mitchell Subaru to anyone who will listen. As of this writing, we have 3k miles on the new car - it's a BLAST to drive! It also has a couple extra options that they didn't charge us for, and they honored the pricing we had negotiated with Manchester Subaru.

Out of morbid curiosity, back at Manchester Subaru, they didn't cancel the order. I have been tracking it on their website. The car was listed as in transit up until the end of last week - 6 full months to take delivery. I can only assume that someone purchased it or they traded it with another dealer. All I can say about SOA and Manchester Subaru is that they really don't give a crap about your order, and their sales service is non-existent.

I wish all of you the best of luck with your orders!

You may want to consider using CARS.com, searching the new inventory, and selecting all of the options you want. Then deal directly with the dealer that has the model you want in stock:
http://www.cars.com/for-sale/new/sub...102&trId=25675

If you order a car in New England, you will really getting the car through Subaru of New England, which is SEPARATE from SOA. It is owned by one man, Ernie Bach Jr. Although Ernie Bach Jr. does not own any Subaru dealers, he gets a cut of every car sold in NE, as he owns the port where all the shipments come in. If you really want to get a message to SNE, go here:
https://www.boch.com/bochhtml/common...ittoernie.aspx
As they don't list SNE, I sent it to the Ferrari dealer - Figuring it would get the most attention. BTW - The same day I got my refund from Manchester Subaru, they asked me how the heck I got a VP of SNE to call and see what the problem with my order was. Unfortunately, even that was not enough to get Manchester to act.
NEATman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #4610
luan87us
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 335013
Vehicle:
2013 Premium WRX 5dr
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horuku View Post
Just because I like harassing this thread, I was told a wait time of 12-16 weeks and mine was delivered in 6 weeks .

Should be selling my WRX either today or tomorrow to a friend, and then Heuberger is going to valet me from my bank to come sign papers for my STi .
remember to post some picture so you can piss DS off more haha jk digitizedsoul. Hang in there bro. You'll get it eventually. It might be a week from now or half a year from now but you'll get it!!! haha jk again. Just remember the longer you wait for it the more you will treasure it later. Good things come last.
luan87us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #4611
GMR54
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 328913
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 WRX 5 Door
WRB

That sounds like a nightmare! Makes my 17 week and counting wait seen like a cake walk in comparison. Glad you finally got what you wanted!
GMR54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #4612
prohobo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 335696
Vehicle:
2013 STI (5dr)
Black

Week 8 Update...

I have posted every week and my sales person has been excellent in keeping in touch and giving me a weekly progress report. When I ordered the car in October (before I gave him a deposit or signed anything) he was very forth right and said - please understand that the STI hatch is taking about 10 weeks and could take longer. There is a small possibility that we might get a similar car sooner and add the options as dealer installs, if that possibility arrives he would inform me, otherwise expect a 10+ weeks.

This week, everything remains status quo for the ETA and a 10 week delivery.

STI 5dr (black) No Nav

Order Location: Tampa, FL
Order Date: 10/20
VON on: 10/22
VIN on: 11/23
ETA: 12/31 = 10 weeks.
Deposit: $500

Financing: None / CASH
Trade in: Legacy GT 09
prohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #4613
luan87us
Scooby Specialist

Vehicle:
2013 Premium WRX 5dr
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEATman View Post
My horrible experience...
That such a bad experience with the purchase. Sorry you had to went through that. There were a few members here that was in same situation with you as well but their dealership was able to find a car matching their order and get it for them. I almost went to get a 2012 Red WRX as well. Luckily I just waited because I wanted to see if there's something new in 2013 and financial situation wasn't sorted out.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #4614
imprezafreak3
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 184136
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
PBP

[quote=Apedz215;38737446]Well to make all of our lives worse o the east coast atleast, the port union for this side of the country is going on strike dec 29 if a new contract isnt reached.

December 19, 2012

hmm..it says its a "container" port strike. these cars dont come through in containers do they?
imprezafreak3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #4615
psupunk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 315560
Vehicle:
2013 WRX-5dr-Limited
CBS

Woohoo, just got an update from my dealer.

VIN received!
Scheduled date: Jan 02, 2013.
Est arrival: Jan 14, 2013.

End in sight! (ordered 10/5)
psupunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #4616
Horuku
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 309930
Vehicle:
2013 STI Sedan
Plasma Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan87us View Post
remember to post some picture so you can piss DS off more haha jk digitizedsoul. Hang in there bro. You'll get it eventually. It might be a week from now or half a year from now but you'll get it!!! haha jk again. Just remember the longer you wait for it the more you will treasure it later. Good things come last.
Already posted it a few pages back, but I will again (more to come when I pickup on Friday):

Horuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #4617
Meeno
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 320547
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2013 STi Hatch
PBP

Stay tuned guys...
Meeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #4618
luan87us
Scooby Specialist

Vehicle:
2013 Premium WRX 5dr
WRB

FYI: Mark Miller Subaru in Salt Lake City, UT currently has a few wrx (4drs & 5 drs) on lot/in transit not claimed, and 1 DMG STi limited on lot. They will pick you up from the airport and might even work with you on airfare and lodging. So if you don't want to wait call 801-553-5200 and ask for Jason Murdock. He was the one that helped me with my ordered and has been very useful throughout the whole process.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #4619
rsaz904
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 332548
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Limited 5Dr
DGM

At least I'm not the only one who got screwed waiting for a Limited Hatch from SNE...

I went to the dealership in April looking for a 2012. An order was placed in May, and converted to a 2013 order in July. Car finally arrived Dec 12th, picked her up Dec 14th. The wait wasn't the hardest part, it was the lack of information, the dealer had no idea where it was or when it'd be here until December. Every month from May to November I was told, it will be here next month... next month... next month...

The good part is, the car's awesome and it feels great to finally be done with the transaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEATman View Post
My horrible experience with Manchester Subaru (commence rant):

I had ordered a '12 WRX Limited hatchback back on June 26th - I was told 6-8 weeks by Manchester Subaru, here in Manchester NH.
7 weeks went by, and I heard nothing from the dealer, so I gave them a call. I was told "Oh, the factory told us that we can't place any more orders for '12 models - yours will be a '13 instead. It will be another 6-8 weeks." I think something this important should have triggered a call to me. This was the first warning sign.

Another 6 weeks went by, and still no call back from the dealer.
I called them, and was told that it was "on order, but no VIN had been assigned yet. A couple more weeks and it'll be here". I called SOA - Not really any help at all. They had less info than the dealer. Should be called SOL. Incredibly infuriating experience. How can a $30k car NOT BE TRACKED THROUGH EVER STAGE OF THE BUILD & SHIPMENT? I can buy some toy on EBAY for $2 and have a tracking number when it ships. THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE! They need to learn from Mini - every customer can track the car through build, and shipment - you can even track the boat from the UK to the US! They have been doing this for at least 10 years now. Check it out here:
http://www.in2guitar.com/miniorder.html

A couple more weeks went by, and at this point, I was calling the dealer every couple days looking for an update. I was told that a VIN had been assigned, and was told it would now take about a month to arrive. Then we reviewed the options on the car, as I still didn't trust them, and they had given me the VIN for a base model - someone else’s car! Still no VIN, and no updates, no idea where it was, and I was losing confidence that they even had it on order.

At 17 weeks, I put another down payment at another dealer in CT, Mitchell Subaru. They found me a car exactly what I wanted in NJ, at Liberty Subaru, and told me they would work to get it transferred. They called Liberty Subaru in NJ several times for 4 or 5 days, and never received a call back. I then called Liberty direct, and expressed interest in the same car. They said yes, it was still for sale and that I could put a down payment on it over the phone. I thought "Great!", at this point I was willing to drive 400 miles to go get the car I wanted. So I asked the salesman why they had not returned the calls to Mitchell Subaru, who had been working very hard for my business. He flatly told me that there was enough local interest in the car, and they didn't want to trade the car. Then I was told that the deposits are non-refundable in NJ. These two facts made me question their integrity to the point that I didn't trust them AT ALL.

Back at Manchester Subaru, it was now the end of October, 18 weeks had passed since the order was first placed. I had no more information that day than the day I ordered the car. STILL NO VIN. What PISSED ME OFF THE MOST was that the base model car that they had given me the VIN for was on the lot, waiting to be picked up. Also, they had a sedan in the showroom, which was a Limited that had also just arrived. So, clearly there was no issue getting a WRX hatchback or getting a WRX Limited, as they had just received a shipment. BTW, these cars were ordered AFTER I HAD PLACED MY ORDER. I had leads on two other cars at other dealers that were close to what we ordered, and I asked them to call about having one transferred. They were lesser models, with fewer options. They made some calls, and came back with a price that was $320 less than the price for the top-of-the-line model I had ordered. There should have been at least a $1000 difference. I told the sales manager to screw himself and I got my deposit back. STAY AWAY FROM MANCHESTER SUBARU!

The following week, on Nov.1, Mitchell Subaru found me a car; we happily drove to CT and picked it up. It's just what we wanted, and I have been recommending Mitchell Subaru to anyone who will listen. As of this writing, we have 3k miles on the new car - it's a BLAST to drive! It also has a couple extra options that they didn't charge us for, and they honored the pricing we had negotiated with Manchester Subaru.

Out of morbid curiosity, back at Manchester Subaru, they didn't cancel the order. I have been tracking it on their website. The car was listed as in transit up until the end of last week - 6 full months to take delivery. I can only assume that someone purchased it or they traded it with another dealer. All I can say about SOA and Manchester Subaru is that they really don't give a crap about your order, and their sales service is non-existent.

I wish all of you the best of luck with your orders!

You may want to consider using CARS.com, searching the new inventory, and selecting all of the options you want. Then deal directly with the dealer that has the model you want in stock:
http://www.cars.com/for-sale/new/sub...102&trId=25675

If you order a car in New England, you will really getting the car through Subaru of New England, which is SEPARATE from SOA. It is owned by one man, Ernie Bach Jr. Although Ernie Bach Jr. does not own any Subaru dealers, he gets a cut of every car sold in NE, as he owns the port where all the shipments come in. If you really want to get a message to SNE, go here:
https://www.boch.com/bochhtml/common...ittoernie.aspx
As they don't list SNE, I sent it to the Ferrari dealer - Figuring it would get the most attention. BTW - The same day I got my refund from Manchester Subaru, they asked me how the heck I got a VP of SNE to call and see what the problem with my order was. Unfortunately, even that was not enough to get Manchester to act.
rsaz904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #4620
Meeno
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Hatch
PBP

Alright, I'm officially in the game.

I decided to expand my search a bit and found exactly what I was looking for at a dealer down in Orange County. It's already on the way in, will be here in about a month (I'm guessing it's just leaving the factory), and they are still giving me invoice on it.

2013 PBP 5 Door STi
Navigation
Homelink Mirror
Short throw shifter

$36,503
VIN: received
Current Location: 200003
Schedule date: Jan 7th
ETA: Jan 18th

I had been debating the lip spoiler and the SPT exhaust, which this doesn't have, but figure I can always add those later. This had my must have options: PBP, 5-door, Nav, Short throw shifter, so I pulled the trigger and put down my deposit today. The countdown begins!
Old 12-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #4621
luan87us
Scooby Specialist

Vehicle:
2013 Premium WRX 5dr
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeno View Post
Alright, I'm officially in the game.

I decided to expand my search a bit and found exactly what I was looking for at a dealer down in Orange County. It's already on the way in, will be here in about a month (I'm guessing it's just leaving the factory), and they are still giving me invoice on it.

2013 PBP 5 Door STi
Navigation
Homelink Mirror
Short throw shifter

$36,503
VIN: received
Current Location: 200003
Schedule date: Jan 7th
ETA: Jan 18th

I had been debating the lip spoiler and the SPT exhaust, which this doesn't have, but figure I can always add those later. This had my must have options: PBP, 5-door, Nav, Short throw shifter, so I pulled the trigger and put down my deposit today. The countdown begins!
$36,503 OTD or $36,503 before fees? If that before fees that is no way invoice price for that car lol. You should be closer to $33k. I think the dealer told you MSRP as invoice price or you mistaken it.

PS: Nvm i think that is invoice. I thought STi costs more.

Last edited by luan87us; 12-19-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #4622
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

Quote:
Originally Posted by psupunk View Post
Woohoo, just got an update from my dealer.

VIN received!
Scheduled date: Jan 02, 2013.
Est arrival: Jan 14, 2013.

End in sight! (ordered 10/5)
wtf another 10/5 this is pissing me off

is it because I literally ordered the best car subaru makes in the best trim with almost every single option they offered?

my twisted consumer-sided logic tells me they'd be thrilled at that, and sweat extra bullets to make it happen stat.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #4623
theEZV
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 324205
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
F30 335i; 2016
Crosstrek; 2013 WRX(sold)

Called the dealer earlier today to get an update, just recieved a call back, car's been released!! Should be here by this time next week hopefully.
theEZV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #4624
Meeno
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Hatch
PBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan87us View Post
$36,503 OTD or $36,503 before fees? If that before fees that is no way invoice price for that car lol. You should be closer to $33k. I think the dealer told you MSRP as invoice price or you mistaken it.

PS: Nvm i think that is invoice. I thought STi costs more.
Includes the destination fee but not tax, title, license. You may also be thinking of the price for the 4 door. The Hatch is about 2k more, plus $888 for navigation.

I'm pretty stoked. This will be the cheapest new car I've ever purchased, yet also the fastest and most fun to drive.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #4625
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

just got an update from dealer, my car hasn't even been built yet everything was lies

said the DM gave them "first pick" on january's southeast allocation, doesn't even know what colors that will be or trims or anything.

I....................i think i'm done