Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 11, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Forester Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-18-2002, 04:20 AM   #1
trev555
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3021
Vehicle:
1997 Mitsubishi
Lancer Evolution IV GSR

Default Forester S/tb info?

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good info on the Forester S/tb (the non-Sti ones). I'm looking for performance data, photos, specs and info on the options that were available.

Thanks!.
trev555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2002, 06:01 AM   #2
toerag
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 8167
Vehicle:
2001 ForesterS-Turbo
Premium Silver

try the japanese subaru site, or Foresterperformance's site, or ask on scoobynet.There are a couple of dealers who import them into the UK, I think Lichfield is one? They advertise on scoobynet. I wouldn't want one, they only made autos.
toerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 05:41 AM   #3
trev555
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1997 Mitsubishi
Lancer Evolution IV GSR

Autos only, huh? Good to know!.
My friend is thinking of getting an import (here in Australia), but information is a bit scarce.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 01-23-2002, 08:17 PM   #4
obi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 14566
Vehicle:
97 forester

Default S/Tb

The S/Tb is available in both manual and automatic. Depending on the year the manual ranges between 220-260 bhp with 240 being the norm. More power can be released by changing the back box and replacing the air filter but this second action requires care as the air flow sensors are quite fragile in later models. Acceleration wise, you can reach 60mph in just over 6 seconds and 100 in eighteen without being to cruel to the clutch. On fairly straight roads you can keep up with a standard UK Impreza turbo because of closer ratios in the gear box. Starts to loose ground around 120 but can still push on to 140mph where the aerodynamics (brick shaped) really start to hinder. First action after purchase is to dump the standard tyres, they are absolute poo and only marginally better than bare rims. It needs high octane petrol to perform at its best. In Japan they have 100Ron,
in England I use 97/98Ron and an octane booster. They can be run on lower but the ECU retards performance quite significantly to protect the engine.

Enjoy Obi
obi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 05:58 AM   #5
toerag
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2001 ForesterS-Turbo
Premium Silver

At last!! Someone who actually owns a jap spec forester!! (scoobynet isn't very good on foresters is it?) What other differences are there that you know of? Can you post any pics of yours?
Old 01-24-2002, 07:48 AM   #6
okamikatekore
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 12536
Vehicle:
1999 forester GT
2.0 Turbo, green

Default obi.....1 is the true jedi master

obi is 100%,manual +auto are available.

one question,they have an sti engine and close ratio gearbox right,is this the only difference between jap spec s/tb and the australian gt turbo?????
i heard everything else is identical
okamikatekore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 06:36 PM   #7
obi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 14566
Vehicle:
97 forester

Not sure about the Australian spec but in comparison to the UK model it is well equipped. The engine is a slightly detuned version of that found in the standard japanese market Impreza turbo mated to an STI gear box. The first 4 gears are shorter ratio which help get the extra weight moving (1400kg compared to 1200 for the Impreza). The 5 gear is longer and helps cruising and petrol consumption. In 5th its only doing 4400 revs at 100mph and delivers 24-25 miles per gallon (4.5Litres). Get enthusiastic and this easily drops below 20 mpg. We drove a UK Forester with added Prodrive Performance Package (197bhp) and uprated suspension. The S/Tb was significantly faster and handled better. Obviously the extra 40hp helps but it does seem to indicate that the S/Tb came with a firmer suspension set up. Certainly the fitted swaybar was thicker although it still needed uprating.
Inside it was much the same except it has the full electronic climate control, not just the normal controls + AC. The rear screen wiper has a choice of intermittent as well as continous sweep. The wing mirrors are electric and include a 'fold in' switch, which is very useful in narrow supermarket parking bays. Ours didn't have the long sun roof but I'm not sure that we miss it because of the Climate control and the tinted windows.
I'm sure there's lots more to say but this will do for now. If you contemplating buying a one then I'd highly recommend the S/Tb. If you want more plastic and a few more gadgets then look at a T/Tb but the vast majority of these are auto's! The full STI has the STI engine with an extra 20hp and uprated suspension but you REALLY have to like stuck-on bits of plastic and chrome....Oh dear!
obi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 04:59 AM   #8
toerag
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2001 ForesterS-Turbo
Premium Silver

That's probably the most useful info I've seen on the j-spec foresters in a long time, thanks Obi! I can't be arsed to work out the fuel consumption on mine, but I get ~230 miles from full to warning light. How does this compare to you? That is doing ultra-urban driving (1st, 2nd, 4th for a mile at most, stop, repeat for 2 more miles), I did see 300 miles whilst running it in (doing 50 miles at a time at minimal throttle). But then again, SUL is only 43.5p per litre over here
toerag
PS. With reference to the chrome bits, have you seen my old forester in the members section? Now that was chrome!!
Old 01-25-2002, 08:09 AM   #9
okamikatekore
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 forester GT
2.0 Turbo, green

Default s/tb,should i???????

now im tempted.currently there are 4(that i know of)jap spec s/tb available in my city(3 auto/1 manual all 97model?).after your post,i will have to go take a look. the problem is my insurance company would absolutely HATE me for buying one of these,and charge me accordingly on abrighter note,i could drop an sti engine in mine for about $4000-$5000AUS
Old 01-27-2002, 10:22 PM   #10
trev555
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1997 Mitsubishi
Lancer Evolution IV GSR

Thumbs up

Thanks, obi, that's exactly the type of info i was looking for. It seems that there are a few imported St/bs in Australia now, and some friends of mine were curious. Thanks.

P.S. G'day okamikatekore, nice to see another aussie.
Old 01-28-2002, 02:35 AM   #11
okamikatekore
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 forester GT
2.0 Turbo, green

Default the information superhighway strikes again..........

you live in perth, i meet you in us,while sitting in sydney
Old 11-14-2017, 02:15 PM   #12
foresterstb2001
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 477704
Default Hard to find parts

Love my stb but it has been hard to find parts at times but small price to pay for all that power and practicality
foresterstb2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:08 PM   #13
accessibledistinct
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 478319

STI brakes are the most noticeable. There is a huge improvement. and what I like is the interior seats are more comfortable than STB.
accessibledistinct is offline   Reply With Quote