Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday October 23, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Classifieds > New Product Development

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2016, 11:24 AM   #301
PRL Motorsports
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 420981
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Export, PA
Default

We have been begging the Subaru community to ditch the factory "hot-mount intercoolers" for quite some time now and here is exactly why...

Recently, we tuned a 2016 WRX loaded with bolt-ons, but using our charge pipe kit and stock TMIC. We treated this car like every other FA20DIT WRX we tune, but couldn't seem to break the 300 hp barrier with anything we tried. Air temps were just too hot, causing knock throughout the entire power-band. Fed up with the money spent and the fact that we could not crest over the 300 hp mark, our customer decided to take advantage of our charge pipe buyback program and ditched our charge pipe kit / factory TMIC to upgrade to our 2015+ FMIC kit and Company 23 EBCS. Instantly we saw decreased air temps and big power gains. By the end of the Pro Tune session we managed to see consistent and repetitive power gains of ~ 70 hp and ~ 70 ft/lbs of tq at peak, and even a bit more throughout the mid-range. There is a slight power drop between 3200 rpm and 4200 rpm because the boost curve has changed with the EBCS change.

Keep in mind that these dyno sessions were on ~ 70 degree Southwestern PA fall days, so the weather wasn't even hot. Power differences become even more drastic in the summertime when the days are much hotter. We cannot stress enough how important it is to monitor, maintain and reduce intake temps as much as possible with these knock-prone vehicles. It is the key to making power and improve reliability.



Power: 288 hp / 332 tq before FMIC kit, 358 / 343 tq after FMIC kit

Mods:
Nameless Cat-back exhaust
PRL Motorsports Intermediate Pipe + J-Pipe
PRL Motorsports Exhaust Manifold
PRL Motorsports FMIC Kit (after PRL Charge Pipe Kit was removed)
Company 23 EBCS
PRL Motorsports Intake w/ Air Box
PRL Motorsports TGV Deletes
PRL Motorsports EGR Deletes
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by PRL Motorsports; 10-11-2016 at 11:30 AM.
PRL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #302
IvanFA20
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 227738
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Texas
Vehicle:
2016 WRX CVT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRL Motorsports View Post
We have been begging the Subaru community to ditch the factory "hot-mount intercoolers" for quite some time now and here is exactly why...

Recently, we tuned a 2016 WRX loaded with bolt-ons, but using our charge pipe kit and stock TMIC. We treated this car like every other FA20DIT WRX we tune, but couldn't seem to break the 300 hp barrier with anything we tried. Air temps were just too hot, causing knock throughout the entire power-band. Fed up with the money spent and the fact that we could not crest over the 300 hp mark, our customer decided to take advantage of our charge pipe buyback program and ditched our charge pipe kit / factory TMIC to upgrade to our 2015+ FMIC kit and Company 23 EBCS. Instantly we saw decreased air temps and big power gains. By the end of the Pro Tune session we managed to see consistent and repetitive power gains of ~ 70 hp and ~ 70 ft/lbs of tq at peak, and even a bit more throughout the mid-range. There is a slight power drop between 3200 rpm and 4200 rpm because the boost curve has changed with the EBCS change.

Keep in mind that these dyno sessions were on ~ 70 degree Southwestern PA fall days, so the weather wasn't even hot. Power differences become even more drastic in the summertime when the days are much hotter. We cannot stress enough how important it is to monitor, maintain and reduce intake temps as much as possible with these knock-prone vehicles. It is the key to making power and improve reliability.



Power: 288 hp / 332 tq before FMIC kit, 358 / 343 tq after FMIC kit

Mods:
Nameless Cat-back exhaust
PRL Motorsports Intermediate Pipe + J-Pipe
PRL Motorsports Exhaust Manifold
PRL Motorsports FMIC Kit (after PRL Charge Pipe Kit was removed)
Company 23 EBCS
PRL Motorsports Intake w/ Air Box
PRL Motorsports TGV Deletes
PRL Motorsports EGR Deletes
Looks like im gonna go with PRL parts from now on!
IvanFA20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #303
PRL Motorsports
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 420981
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Export, PA
Default

Bumper beams for our 2015+ WRX and STI FMIC kits with license plate relocation mounts have been fitted up, jigged and are ready for production. These bumper beams will come standard in both of our FMIC kits. Previous customers who bought are kits and did not receive a bumper beam can give us a call or shoot us an email to receive one free of charge.

We made sure that our kits are compatible with the Perrin license plate relocation kits with our mounting hardware. Please note that this bumper beam is NOT intended for tow purposes. All bumper beams will be powdercoated textured black with stainless hardware.





PRL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:21 AM   #304
19andrewrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 423951
Join Date: Jun 2015
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Placentia, CA
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
White

Default

My PRL intercooler will arrive on Monday. Flex-fuel pro-tune on the 30th. I will post the results.

Cobb AP
TGV
EGR
DW300
grimmspeed catted j-pipe
Q300 catback
coming... PRL FMIC
coming... Cobb Flex Fuel
Coming... Pro-tune.


Andrew

Last edited by 19andrewrx; 04-05-2017 at 03:44 PM. Reason: oops
19andrewrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #305
PRL Motorsports
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 420981
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Export, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19andrewrx View Post
My PRL intercooler will arrive on Monday. Flex-fuel pro-tune on the 30th. I will post the results.

Cobb AP
TGV
EGR
DW300
grimmspeed catted j-pipe
Q300 catback
coming... PRL FMIC
coming... Cobb Flex Fuel
Coming... Pro-tune.


Andrew
Awesome, keep us posted!
PRL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #306
Boxer112
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 78751
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: El Cajon, CA (from NY)
Vehicle:
2017 Sti
ISM

Default

question,

The space seems to be really tight. What After market radiators are you guys running with your FMIC?
Boxer112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:30 PM   #307
Quatro Negro
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 446399
Join Date: May 2016
Default PRL Motorsports Product Line Testing and Development

The front mount doesn't interfere with the radiator at all. It mounts forward if the a/c condenser core and the radiator sits aft of that. I have their FMIC on my 16 sti and just installed a koyo w/stock fans and there is plenty of room. And I'd look into the aftermarket radiator. That huge intercooler core brought my coolant temps up (heat soak and airflow restriction) but still within tolerances. I can send Picts of the FMIC/radiator combo w/ clearances if you would like.
Quatro Negro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:18 PM   #308
Boxer112
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 78751
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: El Cajon, CA (from NY)
Vehicle:
2017 Sti
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatro Negro View Post
The front mount doesn't interfere with the radiator at all. It mounts forward if the a/c condenser core and the radiator sits aft of that. I have their FMIC on my 16 sti and just installed a koyo w/stock fans and there is plenty of room. And I'd look into the aftermarket radiator. That huge intercooler core brought my coolant temps up (heat soak and airflow restriction) but still within tolerances. I can send Picts of the FMIC/radiator combo w/ clearances if you would like.

please do!! it looks tight to me. maybe I'm just not visualizing it appropriately, but id appreciate it if you could bless me with pics. i have this FMIC install on my 17 sti
Boxer112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:40 AM   #309
Quatro Negro
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 446399
Join Date: May 2016
Default PRL Motorsports Product Line Testing and Development

First, sorry for the lousy pictures it's raining and dark out so if these don't add much clarity to your question let me know and I can send better photos tonight.



Using the hood release as a reference to the location of the radiator core support. The left aluminum core (the back end of the FMIC) is forward of the radiator core support and to the right of that core support is the koyo radiator. Sandwiched between the two, but not visible, is the a/c condenser core (sits directly underneath the core support). Below are some shots of the clearance between the fans and the pulleys. Hard to really see but there's about two inches or more of clearance.





Quatro Negro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:11 AM   #310
Boxer112
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 78751
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: El Cajon, CA (from NY)
Vehicle:
2017 Sti
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatro Negro View Post
First, sorry for the lousy pictures it's raining and dark out so if these don't add much clarity to your question let me know and I can send better photos tonight.



Using the hood release as a reference to the location of the radiator core support. The left aluminum core (the back end of the FMIC) is forward of the radiator core support and to the right of that core support is the koyo radiator. Sandwiched between the two, but not visible, is the a/c condenser core (sits directly underneath the core support). Below are some shots of the clearance between the fans and the pulleys. Hard to really see but there's about two inches or more of clearance.







Awesome, thank you for the shots. I truly appreciate it. Getting the Koyo then.
Boxer112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:14 PM   #311
19andrewrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 423951
Join Date: Jun 2015
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Placentia, CA
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
White

Cool

I had my car dyno tuned yesterday. Standard stage bolt on parts and PRL FMIC.

Mods:
Cobb AP
Cobb FF
Grimmspeed Catted J-pipe
Grimmspeed Boost Controller
IAG EGR delete
Turnin TGV delete
Invidia Q300 Catback
DW300C fuel pump
Phatbotti tune in SoCal.

This car is a beast. The results are included.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2017-04-30 14.07.10.jpg (71.5 KB, 237 views)
19andrewrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:15 PM   #312
PRL Motorsports
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 420981
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Export, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19andrewrx View Post
I had my car dyno tuned yesterday. Standard stage bolt on parts and PRL FMIC.

Mods:
Cobb AP
Cobb FF
Grimmspeed Catted J-pipe
Grimmspeed Boost Controller
IAG EGR delete
Turnin TGV delete
Invidia Q300 Catback
DW300C fuel pump
Phatbotti tune in SoCal.

This car is a beast. The results are included.
Thanks, Andrew! We appreciate your support and feedback!
PRL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #313
johnbravo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347118
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
WRB

Default

Are you guys going to release a fa20 external gate header?
johnbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:32 PM   #314
STiProsDoc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 158495
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago
Vehicle:
2017 STi

Default

I'll be installing a bunch of mods including the PRL FMIC on my 2017 Sti later this month so I'll post results once it's done.
STiProsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:48 PM   #315
Disaster646
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 135382
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Hollywood, FL
Vehicle:
2017 Sti
fpgreen+E85 ftw [email protected]

Default

I'm getting tuned by Mikey next weekend, I have a 2017 sti full bolt on and PRL FMIC will post results
Disaster646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:10 AM   #316
PRL Motorsports
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 420981
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Export, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbravo View Post
Are you guys going to release a fa20 external gate header?
We originally planned on it, but the project got pushed to the side. As of now there are no plans of an EWG manifold aside from our turbo kit that we are considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiProsDoc View Post
I'll be installing a bunch of mods including the PRL FMIC on my 2017 Sti later this month so I'll post results once it's done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster646 View Post
I'm getting tuned by Mikey next weekend, I have a 2017 sti full bolt on and PRL FMIC will post results
Awesome, keep us posted guys!
PRL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #317
STiProsDoc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 158495
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago
Vehicle:
2017 STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster646 View Post
I'm getting tuned by Mikey next weekend, I have a 2017 sti full bolt on and PRL FMIC will post results
Curious to see your results. I'm being tuned by P&L later this month with the following mods...anxious to see what it'll put down with Jr tuning it.

Cobb AP
Cobb TBE
Cobb intake
3-port EBCS
Cobb flex fuel kit
AEM fuel pump
ID 1300 injectors
IAG AOS
PRL FMIC
Cobb turbo inlet
AEM wideband gauge
AEM oil pressure gauge
Whiteline rear SB
RCE yellow springs
STiProsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #318
Disaster646
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 135382
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Hollywood, FL
Vehicle:
2017 Sti
fpgreen+E85 ftw [email protected]

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiProsDoc View Post
Curious to see your results. I'm being tuned by P&L later this month with the following mods...anxious to see what it'll put down with Jr tuning it.

Cobb AP
Cobb TBE
Cobb intake
3-port EBCS
Cobb flex fuel kit
AEM fuel pump
ID 1300 injectors
IAG AOS
PRL FMIC
Cobb turbo inlet
AEM wideband gauge
AEM oil pressure gauge
Whiteline rear SB
RCE yellow springs
Dyno day didn't go too well, my turbosmart 45mm ewg had a 7psi spring and we couldn't get past 15 psi with the boost turned up all the way, so the car put down 337 whp and 360wtq, we were very impressed with those numbers at stock boost levels, but we needed to be around 20-22 psi to see better numbers
Disaster646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:29 AM   #319
PRL Motorsports
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 420981
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Export, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster646 View Post
Dyno day didn't go too well, my turbosmart 45mm ewg had a 7psi spring and we couldn't get past 15 psi with the boost turned up all the way, so the car put down 337 whp and 360wtq, we were very impressed with those numbers at stock boost levels, but we needed to be around 20-22 psi to see better numbers
That's a shame about being stuck at 15 psi, but those numbers are very stout for that boost level!
PRL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:34 PM   #320
STiProsDoc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 158495
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago
Vehicle:
2017 STi

Default

Going to pick my car up from P&L Motorpsorts. REally pleased with what I'm seeing on the dyno graph. Made 343/379 on E with the following mods. I'll post more pics and info later.

Cobb AP
Cobb TBE
Cobb intake
3-port EBCS
Cobb flex fuel kit
AEM fuel pump
ID 1300 injectors
IAG AOS
PRL FMIC
Tial QR recir BOV
Cobb turbo inlet
AEM wideband gauge
AEM oil pressure gauge
Whiteline rear SB
RCE yellow springs

Big thank you to Spencer from PRL for overnighting me a pipe that was needed for the FMIC for tune day.


best image hosting free





Last edited by STiProsDoc; 06-28-2017 at 08:13 AM.
STiProsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:18 PM   #321
johnbravo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347118
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRL Motorsports View Post
We originally planned on it, but the project got pushed to the side. As of now there are no plans of an EWG manifold aside from our turbo kit that we are considering.
Well a turbo kit would be even better
johnbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #322
PRL Motorsports
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 420981
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Export, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiProsDoc View Post
Going to pick my car up from P&L Motorpsorts. REally pleased with what I'm seeing on the dyno graph. Made 343/379 on E with the following mods. I'll post more pics and info later.

Cobb AP
Cobb TBE
Cobb intake
3-port EBCS
Cobb flex fuel kit
AEM fuel pump
ID 1300 injectors
IAG AOS
PRL FMIC
Tial QR recir BOV
Cobb turbo inlet
AEM wideband gauge
AEM oil pressure gauge
Whiteline rear SB
RCE yellow springs

Big thank you to Spencer from PRL for overnighting me a pipe that was needed for the FMIC for tune day.


best image hosting free




Very nice numbers, glad to see you're happy. Thanks for the follow up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbravo View Post
Well a turbo kit would be even better
Our thoughts exactly!
PRL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:46 PM   #323
Disaster646
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 135382
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Hollywood, FL
Vehicle:
2017 Sti
fpgreen+E85 ftw [email protected]

Default

What do you guys recommend for the tmic rubber trim under the hood, mine rubs on the intercooler piping.
Disaster646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:09 AM   #324
STiProsDoc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 158495
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago
Vehicle:
2017 STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRL Motorsports View Post
Very nice numbers, glad to see you're happy. Thanks for the follow up!



Our thoughts exactly!
Thanks! Not really sure why an FMIC, isn't on most peoples mod list more often.... I found that the TMIC was so hot, even just cruising around in the regular Chicago spring/summer. IT seems like a real weak point in this car. I;m not sure if its the tune or the fantastic design and quality of the PRL FMIC but there is no noticeable lag at all with my setup.
STiProsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:59 AM   #325
Boxer112
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 78751
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: El Cajon, CA (from NY)
Vehicle:
2017 Sti
ISM

Default

Any other confirmed intake fittings with this front mount? Trying to go bigger than my Cobb intake for my 17 sti
Boxer112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.