Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 10, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-04-2018, 12:04 AM   #1
Oscarr346
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 443133
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Hatch

Default 08 WRX Ran, Died, No crank no start

Back story: recently bought the 08 WRX, from the 2nd owner of the car 140k. No bad history, all dealership paperwork in hand, drove perfect no issues, no issues going into boost, fun car, drove it for about 200 miles. I went ahead and started doing regular maintenance , oil change, spark plugs drove fine for a few days, weekend approached and tackled the timing belt and components out of precaution. Buttoned it all together, and it drove fine.

A day or so after I take the car on the freeway and it starts to hesitate when I try to accelerate, got to 70mph then I notice the rpms bounce a little, and sure enough the car cut off, dashed lights turned on just like when a car stalls.
The car would not crank or start, no fuel prime and the temperature gauge was all the way to hot. As if the ECU went into a safe mode. Got towed home.

Now its been about 2 weeks and every now and then the car will crank, sometimes it would start and then die in like 10 seconds, and sometimes it goes back into that ECU lock I have been trying to diagnose it, fuel pressure is good, it sparks, I checked and counted teeth in the timing belt. It has a new alternator and crank position sensor. I bought a new battery yesterday and it fired right up and actually did not die, I let it idle for about 40 minutes. This morning, the same ECU lock thing is going on, no crank no start, no prime, temp all the way to hot.
Oscarr346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2018, 12:09 AM   #2
Oscarr346
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 443133
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Hatch

I called local Subaru shops, they are stumped but are researching trying to help.
I found some guy in YouTube experiencing the same exact ECU lock thing on his 08 STI. His solution was a ground wire, I have checked the main ground by the starter bolt, two at the sides of the engine bay, two at the bottom connected to the exhaust headers, am I missing any?
Oscarr346 is offline   Reply With Quote