Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 15, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
Fars666
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 493987
Join Date: Nov 2018
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX

Default help spacers WRX

Hi all,

I been struggling for a very long time not knowing what spacers to get for my 2012 WRX hatch. I know that 25mm is the direct bolt on where I don't need to cut my original lugs. however, I don't like the way they look. So I was planning to get something less aggressive - 15 mm and was told that I would need either to cut my original lugs or screw extended ones. I don't really feel like doing either of that. So my question is that will 20 mm spacers will be a direct fit or would I still need to mess with lugs?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Fars666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #2
Loyale93
Newbie Moderator
Moderator
 
Member#: 91347
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston, MA
Vehicle:
2004 Tacoma Crew Cab
2012 Triumph 1050

Default

Why... Why are you doing spacers??
Loyale93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
Fars666
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 493987
Join Date: Nov 2018
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyale93 View Post
Why... Why are you doing spacers??
Want more flush look but not too aggressive.
Fars666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:15 PM   #4
Loyale93
Newbie Moderator
Moderator
 
Member#: 91347
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston, MA
Vehicle:
2004 Tacoma Crew Cab
2012 Triumph 1050

Default

Change your wheels?

Also, your best bet for confirmation is to look at or get a copy of the installation guide from the manufacturer you're planning on buying from. Especially if you're buying from a company like ISC, those guys are awesome and will be happy to discuss this stuff with you.

Don't go off of "I was told that". That's not a fact. That's a rumor. Work off facts.
Loyale93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #5
Fars666
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 493987
Join Date: Nov 2018
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyale93 View Post
Change your wheels?

Also, your best bet for confirmation is to look at or get a copy of the installation guide from the manufacturer you're planning on buying from. Especially if you're buying from a company like ISC, those guys are awesome and will be happy to discuss this stuff with you.

Don't go off of "I was told that". That's not a fact. That's a rumor. Work off facts.
Thanks for a heads up. I'm trying to get the ones of ebay however, the supplier doesn't provide accurate information. Got a replay back from him stating that I may need to cut my original lug set if they would stick out alot. Though I would find someone who already went thru installation process.
Fars666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #6
Slim_Jim
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 473831
Join Date: Sep 2017
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Ohio
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI Limited
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyale93 View Post
Change your wheels?

Also, your best bet for confirmation is to look at or get a copy of the installation guide from the manufacturer you're planning on buying from. Especially if you're buying from a company like ISC, those guys are awesome and will be happy to discuss this stuff with you.

Don't go off of "I was told that". That's not a fact. That's a rumor. Work off facts.
^^^^^ This ^^^^^

25mm is quite a bit for each wheel. Definitely look into the installation manuals from each brand before buying....
Slim_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:51 PM   #7
Loyale93
Newbie Moderator
Moderator
 
Member#: 91347
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston, MA
Vehicle:
2004 Tacoma Crew Cab
2012 Triumph 1050

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fars666 View Post
Thanks for a heads up. I'm trying to get the ones of ebay however, the supplier doesn't provide accurate information. Got a replay back from him stating that I may need to cut my original lug set if they would stick out alot. Though I would find someone who already went thru installation process.
"the ones off ebay". There's the rub.

eBay is not a brand. So we don't know what actual product you're planning on buying.
eBay is also not a reliable source for things that are literally the FOUNDATION of your car.

Don't skimp out. Go buy from a reputable shop. Ask that supplier what you need to do for installation.
If you're asking these seemingly simple Questions, you really shouldn't be putting any amount of trust into an eBay seller.

https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-online-shopping-fails/
Loyale93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:56 AM   #8
Fars666
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 493987
Join Date: Nov 2018
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX

Default

You are not helping guys.. Anyone installed 20mm spacers on this forum that can share some info.. I have installed spacers on multiple vehicles just got this subi as a weekend car. My primary is a bimmer. Spacers is no fatal mod. I guess ill try it out and post my results on here.
Fars666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:38 AM   #9
Loyale93
Newbie Moderator
Moderator
 
Member#: 91347
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston, MA
Vehicle:
2004 Tacoma Crew Cab
2012 Triumph 1050

Default

We are helping. You just don't like the answers we're giving.

Why are you going with eBay? Because they're cheaper?
Look at the VALUE you get by buying a reputable brand/vendor. You get expertise and actual answers. Spend the extra $20 and make sure it all works. don't be a cheapskate.
Loyale93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
LedDriver
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 451791
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Washington
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Dark Gray

Default

Wheel spacers work great till your wheel passes you on the freeway...

Get wheels with the offset you're looking for. If you insist on spacers buy a quality set from a reputable brand and follow their instructions.

Last edited by LedDriver; 11-15-2018 at 09:58 AM.
LedDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:17 AM   #11
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

Default

At the thickness you're talking, I believe you're talking about "adapter" type spacers. Like this:



Not this:



I used the first example years ago to change bolt patterns on a Wrangler to accept some wheels and brand new snows that came off an explorer. Some issues:

The studs and lugnuts were a different thread pattern from my Jeep. So I needed to buy another set of lugnuts to bolt the adapters to the hubs of the Jeep. I then needed to use a different set of lugnuts to bolt the wheels to the adapters because the old school open lugnuts wouldn't fit the alloys.

Once in place, as with any new wheel installation, I want to retorque the nuts after about 100 miles of driving. This required removal of the wheels and retorquing the adapter nuts to the hub. Then, of course, re-install the wheels.

Most adapters are NOT hub centric. So there is some chance that you're going to introduce some off centered wobble with both the adapter to hub and adapter to wheel connections. This can become near impossible to find. With a Wrangler, it's not as bad because the sidewall is huge and the width of my tires was pretty wide so the cushion of the tires helped me.

In short (too late, right?) you're cheaping out and will pay for it in headache. Don't say I didn't warn you. Buy proper wheels with the offset you're looking for.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:02 AM   #12
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
In short (too late, right?) you're cheaping out and will pay for it in headache. Don't say I didn't warn you. Buy proper wheels with the offset you're looking for.
And even though, OP, we shouldn't need to remind you, get wheels that are hub centric.
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:03 PM   #13
oichan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A garage in the Midwest
Vehicle:
2019 WRX / 16 STI
2017 Golf-R, etc

Default

Most aftermarket wheels (including the stock wheels actually) are lug-centric by design. You can tell by the type of nuts used. Our wheels use tapered lugs that center the wheel while its torqued down. You can remove centering rings on lug-centric wheels and they will work fine unless garbage wheels.

Unless its for a Euro car (OZ wheels, etc) that runs ball type lugs, I've not seen true hubcentric aftermarket wheels for j-cars. Sure they come with centering rings but those are used mainly to aid in centering the wheels to the hub when mounting. It's not there to take on the weight of the car like true hub-centric wheels.

Hub-centric wheels primarily use washer type and ball type lugs. Anyway just for your info.
oichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:30 PM   #14
wrx43v3r
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331119
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

spacers = ricers. you would be better off with a Civic.
wrx43v3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:23 AM   #15
Fars666
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 493987
Join Date: Nov 2018
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
At the thickness you're talking, I believe you're talking about "adapter" type spacers. Like this:



Not this:



I used the first example years ago to change bolt patterns on a Wrangler to accept some wheels and brand new snows that came off an explorer. Some issues:

The studs and lugnuts were a different thread pattern from my Jeep. So I needed to buy another set of lugnuts to bolt the adapters to the hubs of the Jeep. I then needed to use a different set of lugnuts to bolt the wheels to the adapters because the old school open lugnuts wouldn't fit the alloys.

Once in place, as with any new wheel installation, I want to retorque the nuts after about 100 miles of driving. This required removal of the wheels and retorquing the adapter nuts to the hub. Then, of course, re-install the wheels.

Most adapters are NOT hub centric. So there is some chance that you're going to introduce some off centered wobble with both the adapter to hub and adapter to wheel connections. This can become near impossible to find. With a Wrangler, it's not as bad because the sidewall is huge and the width of my tires was pretty wide so the cushion of the tires helped me.

In short (too late, right?) you're cheaping out and will pay for it in headache. Don't say I didn't warn you. Buy proper wheels with the offset you're looking for.
Yes that's it adapter type spacers sorry I should have mentioned it earlier. In theory all 20 mm adapters are the same. The thikness and original lug size are two main factors here. I also noticed there some extra cavities in the back of oem wheels what in my believe would help with proper fitment. And after all I do appreciate all recent replies except the civic part.
Fars666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:40 PM   #16
cerbomark
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 475983
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
Silver

Default

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...hlight=spacers

20mm spacers. If you install them correctly you won t have a problem. I ve had them on my WRX and have spacers on my Porsche Panamera also, no issues if you keep it mild.
cerbomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:26 AM   #17
pmanliu
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 361107
Join Date: Jul 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX

Default

I'm guessing you're going to get bolt on spacers so make sure that the back hub of your wheel has 'cutouts' in case there are any threads from the OEM lugs sticking out after installing the spacers.

Also quality matters. I tend to stick to Perrin or H&R Spacers (read somewhere Perrin is rebranded H&R). Never tried ebay ones nor do i want to... but have used Ichiba and ISC and the quality is no where near as good as the Perrin/H&R spacers.
pmanliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:09 PM   #18
BLACK GIZMO
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 493976
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default

I have 20 mm spacers on my car with coils they are not rice. I race my car on the track gives me a wider stance. Def big difference.
BLACK GIZMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:14 PM   #19
BLACK GIZMO
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 493976
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx43v3r View Post
spacers = ricers. you would be better off with a Civic.


Not trying to be a dick but the way the stock wheels stick in on the wrx is horrible. I bought 2,500 dollar coils. 20mm Perrin spacers. Sway bars. And the wheel alignment cost 250 for track not bragging about money spacers are not rice. If done write.
BLACK GIZMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:16 PM   #20
BLACK GIZMO
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 493976
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default

Have to learn before you say stuff that people are going to read.
BLACK GIZMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:25 PM   #21
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK GIZMO View Post
Not trying to be a dick but the way the stock wheels stick in on the wrx is horrible. I bought 2,500 dollar coils. 20mm Perrin spacers. Sway bars. And the wheel alignment cost 250 for track not bragging about money spacers are not rice. If done write.
Are you sure those are legal with whoever you track with? I ask because the club I raced with for 25 years and instructed with for a dozen would not allow those. This is COM Sports Car Club who has been doing track events since the 50's. Section 8 if you want to look it up.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:49 PM   #22
thatdamnalex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 441196
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: so cal
Vehicle:
2016 sti
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK GIZMO View Post
If done write.
thatdamnalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:19 AM   #23
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

If you need that much offset, get different wheels.

Now, if your expensive racing wheels need extra offset that just isn't provided, maybe its not a terrible idea, especially if you get quality.

However, spacers to make the stock base wheels stick out? Just get different wheels!

I went with +45 offset wheels for my winter setup, and they look fantastic on the WRX. Pushes the wheels out just enough.

I'm considering ditching the OEM 18s after next winter (going to drive on them at least one summer. Might as well use up the OEM tires first), and getting similarly offset 18's... or going full baller and getting STI BBSs (though maybe a Mach V wicked awesome wheel would be better, who knows. I've got lots of time to change my mind repeatedly).

Thing is, you've got lots of wheel choices. Use those, not spacers.
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #24
bdubblu
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 251046
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Mostly at my home
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Stage 5.1.2a.2

Default

You don't want to spend a few extra bucks on proper studs for your setup? Smh.

Do your own math then. Get the stud specs (or measure them yourself, get the factory lug seat depth on your rims, then do the math adding 10, 20, or 25 mm of spacing.
bdubblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:02 PM   #25
fuelMuncher
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 301554
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: California
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
PSM, 2007 OBP WRX Limited

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubblu View Post
You don't want to spend a few extra bucks on proper studs for your setup? Smh.

Do your own math then. Get the stud specs (or measure them yourself, get the factory lug seat depth on your rims, then do the math adding 10, 20, or 25 mm of spacing.


How much extra is doing ARP studs and install? I was quoted $600 for installation-is that nuts? I passed after buying them and hearing what the shop wanted to put them in.
fuelMuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.