Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 16, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-05-2018, 11:45 AM   #1
kirurakev
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 494876
Vehicle:
1999 GM4

Impreza GC8 New GM4 Owner

Hello!

I just picked up a near pristine 46k miles 1999 Subaru Impreza L Coupe. The only things that are not stock are the hubcaps and the radio that the previous owner had installed. No rust! (Could never find a clean 2.5RS coupe at a reasonable price..)

It's my first project car candidate after searching for about a year now. The only "downside" is that it's an automatic.. I do have aspirations to turn this little guy into something more though. I see a lot of people do STI swaps and stuff. I'd have to change the transmission and engine anyways so that is potentially one of my ultimate goals to accomplish with this car. I'd like to possibly leave it as an automatic and try to get all the performance and exterior modifications done before I do a swap or anything under the hood. Any opinions on that?

The first thing I plan to do is get some new wheels and suspension. Does anyone know what people typically run on these or have any suggestions? I don't have any immediate plans to AutoX or track it in it's current state but I'd like to be able to one day maybe.

I'm a big fan of the STi Type R Version V look on the JDM GC8 and I'd love to do a conversion but I'm not sure where to start looking. Any advice on this would also be greatly appreciated! I always wanted to do a 22B look but being more realistic, I don't think I even know where to begin when it comes to wide-body kits, etc.

I look forward to chatting and hopefully learning from everyone here.

Last edited by kirurakev; 12-05-2018 at 01:39 PM.
kirurakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2018, 01:32 PM   #2
AWD BRO
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 488722
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5rs w/EJ20K
& 2 other GCs

Welcome and congrats on joining the GC master race!

I think you really should prioritize what's important and what you want the car to do for you before you move forward or buy anything.

With it being an auto 2.2 I seriously wouldn't bother with anything else until you throw some kind of swap at it.

Cheapest and most effective way of doing that these days is buying a wrecked wrx on copart and swapping everything over. They can be had for around $1000.

For wheels, something around a 17x8 +45 is the sweet spot on these cars.
Luckily there are lots of options in that size from a ton of different manufacturers.

Also lots of suspension options depending on what you want. Regular spring and shock, lowering springs, coil overs???
Again, depends on what you want out of the car.

The JDM STI body bits are pretty easy to come by, USDM RS front bumper is the same, and the grill, fog light covers, rear wing, and rear spats can be found on eBay, crooober, yahoo auctions etc...

If you really want to ball out with a 22b kit, there are a few options for widebodys. ABW Motorsports, Launsport, Aerosim, and 6ovrcrst seem to be the most common.
Although it does kind of seem that everytime someone gets their first GC they talk about wanting a widebody but abandon the idea because they find out how much work goes into it.

It's totally up to you how you want to built the car, but I personally wouldn't bother dumping any kind of money into a stock engine and trans L until it's got some sort of swap.

P.S. ... your car is a GM4, not that it really matters tho.
AWD BRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:38 PM   #3
kirurakev
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 494876
Vehicle:
1999 GM4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD BRO View Post
P.S. ... your car is a GM4, not that it really matters tho.
Big thanks for the clarification!! I really couldn't figure out what GM it was.. I haven't had the time to look at the VIN yet or anything xD. Still need to finish up paperwork, etc. I guess 6 is 2.5RS?

Yeah the Launsport one looks great but I think I'd probably end up abandoning the idea as well so probably ruling out that option and focus on more practical performance mods for now.

If I'm going for a WRX/STI USDM swap, I should be aiming for 2002-2007? I guess nothing after 2007 would be compatible?

Last edited by kirurakev; 12-05-2018 at 02:02 PM.
kirurakev is offline   Reply With Quote