Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday August 19, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #1
What could go wrong
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 448908
Default Auto Radiator on Manual Car as oil cooler?

I have an 09 wrx, and I need to get a new radiator within the day basically, so I am going with an automatic radiator as that is the only one available within the time frame.

from what I have read it will function the same, but I will have an extra cooler not plugged into anything. I have a couple of questions about this though.

Firstly, will this function as well as one from a manual car? IE am I giving up cooling performance for this added cooler?

Additionally, in the future, could this extra cooler be set up as an oil cooler? or could I plumb the coolant back into that portion of the loop for added cooling?

I am aware these might be somewhat n00by questions but I couldn't find anything about this use case, only people with autos using the manual rad.

thanks for the help guys!
What could go wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
ROTORCRAFT230
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 385360
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza WRX
Plasma Blue

It won’t flow the volume you need to effectively cool the oil.
ROTORCRAFT230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
What could go wrong
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROTORCRAFT230 View Post
It won’t flow the volume you need to effectively cool the oil.
I didn't think so but figured I'd ask... what about plumbing it to use as a dual-pass rad?
Old 08-11-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
What could go wrong
Scooby Newbie

Edit: nevermind, wrong part anyway, just gonna order an aftermarket one and stay home for 2 days... thanks for the help guys

Last edited by What could go wrong; 08-11-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #5
shadowsports
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 446364
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
'17 STI LMT '08 LGT
DGM / QSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What could go wrong View Post
Edit: nevermind, wrong part anyway, just gonna order an aftermarket one and stay home for 2 days... thanks for the help guys
Good choice, if you are going to take it apart, you might as well get the right part. I got a Spectra Premium (Canadian) made rad for my LGT, they sell them on Amazon too. EJ255/57 and FA

I picked mine up from Napa the same day. OEM fit and 20K later still going strong.
shadowsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #6
What could go wrong
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsports View Post
Good choice, if you are going to take it apart, you might as well get the right part. I got a Spectra Premium (Canadian) made rad for my LGT, they sell them on Amazon too. EJ255/57 and FA

I picked mine up from Napa the same day. OEM fit and 20K later still going strong.
Nice! the one I got from O'rilyes was nice, it seemed to be as good as OEM, but apparently, the automatic trans radiator is missing a hookup for one of the small coolant lines on the top, the outermost one to be specific.

I ended up just bailing on some plans to make time for the Mishimoto one to get here ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 08-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #7
shadowsports
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 446364
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
'17 STI LMT '08 LGT
DGM / QSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What could go wrong View Post
Nice! the one I got from O'rilyes was nice, it seemed to be as good as OEM, but apparently, the automatic trans radiator is missing a hookup for one of the small coolant lines on the top, the outermost one to be specific.

I ended up just bailing on some plans to make time for the Mishimoto one to get here ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Also a good time to replace your hoses. Pretty sure you have to cut (shorten) the lower hose to get it to fit. Real sharp knife helps. Post some pics if you get a chance.
shadowsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #8
What could go wrong
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsports View Post
Also a good time to replace your hoses. Pretty sure you have to cut (shorten) the lower hose to get it to fit. Real sharp knife helps. Post some pics if you get a chance.
just have to trim the top one, the OEM ones are still good so Ill leave it for now. thanks!