Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-01-2019, 01:56 PM   #26
BlueGoldWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 443842
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
Why?

That's just not the case. Keeping oil temps too low under load is asking for trouble. More so IMO than being a little too hot.

This is a question we get a lot and it really depends on region (ambient temps), driver experience, modifications, build, and so on and so on. The FA20 does run a bit hotter than the EJ engine for several reasons. I do see more FA guys needing oil coolers and I sure do see companies leveraging the fear of excessive oil temps to make sales. IMO if you're not seeing oil temps above 250° you don't need one. The other flip side is that there are a lot of (for lack of a better term) under engineered products out there that cause more problems than they solve (pressure drop, excessive cooling, etc...) and to compound that effect there's not a lot of good information (and a crap ton of horrible info, especially on social media) on how to properly spec oil cooling needs.
Very Interesting. I really appreciate your feedback on this matter. I don't like my oil temps that high mainly due to the fact that I like to get on the car when I can, and to be honest just don't feel comfortable as high heat in long durations wears things. I did not engineer the FA motor, so I can't say one bit what I feel is either right or wrong. I understand with colder oil, metal expanding etc all have factors. I guess really what I should clarify is I know for sure if I track the car my oil temps can and will exceed 250F.

I have a few oil coolers in mind, but you make an excellent point about build and construction. Do you have any input on ones you prefer? PM if you would like to share any light on that. If not I understand.
BlueGoldWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2019, 12:51 PM   #27
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 198281
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGoldWRX View Post
I have a few oil coolers in mind, but you make an excellent point about build and construction. Do you have any input on ones you prefer? PM if you would like to share any light on that. If not I understand.
I like Mocal products. High quality heat exchangers (very thermally efficient) and well designed adapters. Make sure the lines are at least -10 and use the highest thermostat you can get.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:15 PM   #28
Red_wrx18
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 498844
Default Building an FA20DIT do and donts?

Hello, I'm going to be building my wrx to handle about 500-600awhp, safely and with room for improvement. Which way I should go IAG or REV WORKS?
Red_wrx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:49 PM   #29
BlueGoldWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_wrx18 View Post
Hello, I'm going to be building my wrx to handle about 500-600awhp, safely and with room for improvement. Which way I should go IAG or REV WORKS?

I can't speak for neither. I did my own engine build, sourced out my parts, had the block machined and I assembled it to my specs. I spoke to IAG and they had tremendous support but I decided I wanted to build the engine myself.

I don't know much about Revworks, I'm sure there a good company as well. I think there is a thread in this section about IAG or andrewtech. If your going to go that high at the wheels your going to be at least 18-20% higher at the crank as far as #s so you may want to option in the closed deck and studs.

I went with Studs on mine but kept my stock open deck. I'm shooting for 400-450awhp. This is my daily so want the increased power and reliability. I have other cars that are in the 650-800HP range.

Subaru's cases distort. So 600awhp On FA is a really high amount. I would speak to IAG direct and talk about your goals. Bc High Hp and reliability don't go hand in hand you need to sacrifice one
Old 03-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #30
Red_wrx18
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 498844

Thanks for your fast reply bluegoldwrx. You're right. But I want to keep it reliable, so maybe be about 480s to 520s tops for now for a while would be very good for me. I would definetly opt for the closed deck because I dont want to have to build the engine again, because I'm already taking it out. The only thing is that I have to look for a flywheel and clutch set up now that can be this much but that I can also DD it. And also which set up should i go to achieve this kind of power with e85?. Should I have to change to a bigger turbo?

The people that are going to be building the car said that without touching the turbo I should be around 480 with e85.

He also recomended the IAG over the Rev Works because he has always been working with them. The only thing is that is a bit more expensive, plus I'm working on a discount with the company that I'm going to be buying the parts from and they dont have the IAG block with them.
Red_wrx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:29 PM   #31
BlueGoldWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

E85 is impossible at full E85. Most if not all who attempt to run E85 at full E85 toast the high pressure pump. You'd be running E30 or E55. You have to blend it. I eventually want to do that. you need to get the cobb flex fuel kit and a DW in tank fuel pump to start.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:09 PM   #32
adam99
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 480524
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGoldWRX View Post
E85 is impossible at full E85. Most if not all who attempt to run E85 at full E85 toast the high pressure pump. You'd be running E30 or E55. You have to blend it. I eventually want to do that. you need to get the cobb flex fuel kit and a DW in tank fuel pump to start.
e65 is the absolute max I would run in my car. Power differences after that are negligible and obviously for hpfp reasons I would never run that mix on back to back tanks. It would only be for a kill tune.
adam99 is offline   Reply With Quote